Elder Scrolls the MMO

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: Elder Scrolls the MMO

Post by Daehawk »

I think their 15 is 2 hours :)
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Bad Demographic wrote:Bummer.
The Elder Scroll games are like skooma for me. So far this is okay - some inconveniences (like other people searching containers before I can get to them) - but I'm giving it a try.
I think the servers are down right now - they sent out an in-game message that the servers were going down in 15 minutes (back around the time of my earlier post) - but that gives me time to get some coffee and something to eat.
I played a bit over the weekend. There were no performance or server issues while I ws on, but sadly the game is not good. I'd rather play Skyrim yet again.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I only played for about 15 minutes. It was ugly and confusing. I would blame the graphics card in my laptop, but I can run most other MMO's and they look beautiful. Profoundly disappointed.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I haven't heard anything positive about this game from anyone testing it so far. I have a hard time thinking any new game can survive on the monthly subscription model anymore.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If the goal is to simulate an Elder Scrolls single player rpg with coop, why not just create an Elder Scrolls single player rpg with coop? From my brief time with the game this weekend, I saw nothing that distinguished it from any other MMORPG. And to be honest, it was actually worse than most. I think this whole thing is a misstep on Bethesda's part.
He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote:If the goal is to simulate an Elder Scrolls single player rpg with coop, why not just create an Elder Scrolls single player rpg with coop?
Because there are no sub fees to be had there.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

coopasonic wrote:
hepcat wrote:If the goal is to simulate an Elder Scrolls single player rpg with coop, why not just create an Elder Scrolls single player rpg with coop?
Because there are no sub fees to be had there.
Unfortunately as bad as this game is there are no sub fees to be had there either :)
Angnomander

Post by Angnomander »

I tried the beta last weekend. There's no way they're optimistically delusional enough to think this will succeed as a sub game. They're going to milk the franchise fans for box cost and first month for a while before going free to play.
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

I get hooked by anything like Elder Scrolls games far too easily. :)
That said, I found it hard to switch between weapons - which meant that I couldn't shoot first then switch to melee when charged by an enemy. I found bows kind of underpowered, but mostly couldn't hit beyond a medium distance, so I found ranged combat unsatisfactory.

I think I would have enjoyed this more if I had hooked up with some of you, especially since fights could get overwhelming (too many enemies on me at once). On the other hand, I seemed to be able to use the "chat" feature by hitting escape - not a good move with enemies around.

Still, if I get another invite I'll probably continue to beta-test. I would probably buy this game (heck, I bought Sacred, and this game struck me as being kind of a cross between Sacred and Elder Scrolls) but I don't think there's any game I would pay a monthly fee for.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I put a couple hours into the beta this weekend and came away wholly unimpressed as well. There was literally nothing about it that intrigued me enough to consider subscribing when it's released.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just to make sure everyone is clear -- officially launching for PC on4/4/14. XboxOne and PS4 in June.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Bad Demographic

There's another beta test going on this weekend.
Are any of you a) invited and b) planning to participate? I was thinking it might be fun to play together.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

hepcat wrote: I think this whole thing is a misstep on Bethesda's part.
It actually isn't, but only because Bethesda has almost nothing to do with it. Blame ZeniMax for this one.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Bad Demographic wrote:There's another beta test going on this weekend.
Are any of you a) invited and b) planning to participate? I was thinking it might be fun to play together.
Was invited again and again I will not be bothering. After doing the weekends a few times I found it jus ta bad thing so I skip it now. huge download for nothing really good.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zurai wrote:
It actually isn't, but only because Bethesda has almost nothing to do with it. Blame ZeniMax for this one.
Can we blame bethesda for allowing it to happen?

Like Daehawk I was invited for the weekend as well but I can't be bothered. I'd rather play Skyrim again. Of course, I almost never play MMOs with other people (despite being in a guild of a couple hundred that has presence in practically every MMO out there) so the MMO part doesn't add much for me. I could see people that are still into the social aspect being interested, but man this doesn't feel like ES.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Invited but skipping it. Path of Exile seems like much better time spent.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

coopasonic wrote:
Zurai wrote:
Can we blame bethesda for allowing it to happen?
Not really? Bethesda is wholly owned by ZeniMax. If the parent company decides to lay a turd on their own using Bethesda's IP, Bethesda doesn't have much say in it. IIRC literally the only part of this game Bethesda has anything to do with is providing a lore bible for ZeniMax to ignore.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Just got an email from Gamestop....they and the devs are trying to peddle a $100 version of this crap. HA!
wire

Post by wire »

Elder Scrolls Online Store

Digital Standard Edition $59.99
5 days early access
30 Days of Included Game Time

Digital Imperial Edition $79.99
5 days early access
30 Days of Included Game Time
Play as an Imperial
Imperial White Horse
Craft Imperial Gear
Transform Into Imperial Gear
Rings of Mara
Mudcrab Vanity Pet
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

I won't be buying the game but a race exclusive for a preorder is bad business, in fact, had I planned to buy the game this would have stopped me from doing so.
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
wire

Post by wire »

Vorret wrote:I won't be buying the game but a race exclusive for a preorder is bad business, in fact, had I planned to buy the game this would have stopped me from doing so.
Yeah there are a lot of people complaining over on Reddit about the addition of Imperials as a CE pre-order bonus. Apparently they are also allowing you to pick your alliance regardless of your race. That kind of defeats the purpose of the faction base alliances that all of the world lore the game references.

I was involved in quite a few beta weekends and was all set to buy the game but I'm not so sure now. Something about the Imperial inclusion rubs me wrong.
morlac

Post by morlac »

wire wrote:
Vorret wrote:I won't be buying the game but a race exclusive for a preorder is bad business, in fact, had I planned to buy the game this would have stopped me from doing so.
Yeah there are a lot of people complaining over on Reddit about the addition of Imperials as a CE pre-order bonus. Apparently they are also allowing you to pick your alliance regardless of your race. That kind of defeats the purpose of the faction base alliances that all of the world lore the game references.

I was involved in quite a few beta weekends and was all set to buy the game but I'm not so sure now. Something about the Imperial inclusion rubs me wrong.
Is it pick you own alliance for ANY race if you preorder or only for the exclusive imperial race? If it is the prior than yes in a faction based game this is awful. The second while distasteful would make sense from a balance perspective.
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

exclusive imperial race
Huh? Isn't it just a bonus feature/skin/cosmetic that you add to "any" race? So if you play a Dark Elf, locked to Ebonheart, you could don the shiny Imp clothes just as well as if you're an High Elf from Aldmeri.

I mean, anything else than that would be atrocious. An imperial race, CE exclusive, that transcends the faction lock seems very unbalanced. Imperial players would simply join whichever faction is currently the strongest.
But you've seen who's in heaven
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Lagom Lite wrote:
exclusive imperial race
Huh? Isn't it just a bonus feature/skin/cosmetic that you add to "any" race? So if you play a Dark Elf, locked to Ebonheart, you could don the shiny Imp clothes just as well as if you're an High Elf from Aldmeri.

I mean, anything else than that would be atrocious. An imperial race, CE exclusive, that transcends the faction lock seems very unbalanced. Imperial players would simply join whichever faction is currently the strongest.
That's exactly what it is.
If you buy the CE you have access to the imperial race who can choose whichever side it wishes. As far as decision goes this one is right up there with releasing Sim City in the state it was.
Isgrimnur wrote:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

wire wrote:

I wonder what you saw that me and so many others didn't that you would be prepared to pay for that horrible game?
wire

Post by wire »

Daehawk wrote:
wire wrote:

I wonder what you saw that me and so many others didn't that you would be prepared to pay for that horrible game?
You call pretty much every MMO a piece of shit after spending a few hours of playing it in beta form, so I'm not sure I can explain why I enjoyed it sufficiently to appease your curiosity.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

It was way more than Daehawk that found this one severely disappointing.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Many people saw the disaster from before there was anything known except the fact that Bethesda had nothing to do with it, nor did any veteran MMO developers.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I certainly read any reviews that come out and keep an open mind, but there's nothing I've seen since this was announced that leads me to believe it's going to be a good game.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Bad Demographic

If they charge < $50 and play all you want, I would have considered it. I probably have lower standards than you all. ;)
But given how much I play a game - and for how long (I've been playing Borderlands 2 for more than a year) - I don't feel I can afford $15/month.

Black Lives Matter
Angnomander

Post by Angnomander »

Bad Demographic wrote:If they charge < $50 and play all you want, I would have considered it. I probably have lower standards than you all. ;)
But given how much I play a game - and for how long (I've been playing Borderlands 2 for more than a year) - I don't feel I can afford $15/month.
It will be free to play soon enough.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thats the truth.

And I dont recall posting i hate every mmo. I love MMOs. Im playing Star Wars right now. I've LOVED it, EQ, UO, DAoC..many many of them. But when Im in a beta and it stinks I sure say so. Im not afraid of doing that.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Played it a bunch this weekend. What a sad trainwreck. The game is very good looking, but so damn boring. No way would I pay $60 then $15/month for this. It really is too bad. It would probably have been fine as a single player RPG or even F2P. But this as generic as an MMO gets. It doesn't introduce anything new, interesting or fun to the genre.

Chat during this last beta weekend was being spammed with, Looking for Tank. Looking for Healer. It felt like WoW 2005. That ship has long sailed.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I played a bit this weekend and echo most of the sentiments in this thread. It's basically Skyrim in an open world, except with shittier graphics and not as fun. I hate to draw conclusions based on only a few hours of gameplay when it comes with MMOs, but most of them I can tell pretty quickly whether they'll be worth my time. GW2 and Final Fantasy XIV instantly grabbed me during their betas. This one just felt cheap and undercooked.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I concur. Giant "Meh" which really upsets me. I was very much looking forward to this one. Maybe by the time the PS4 version comes out, they will have fixed some of the glaring issues.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I have been doing ..or was doing.....this beta for a year. I quit bothering about 6 months ago I guess. It just wasn't changing and they dont give you time to give it a go and provide feedback between the short weekend and the down times and log in. I just delete the emails now.

I iz sadz.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

At this point it's not a beta anymore, it's advertisement... and it seems to be failing :P
Isgrimnur wrote:
GoneGoldAlum

Post by GoneGoldAlum »

I've been occasionally lurking here a long, long time. Made an account just to reply to this thread.

What the hell? Seriously. Hipster much?

The game is not perfect. In all likelihood it won't be what Daggerfall was to 1996, or EQ to 1999, or Skyrim to 2011. But it's a decent game. It doesn't deserve the comments it's getting here. It's fun. It beats the hell out of GW2.

Daehawk, I have no idea what you are talking about when you say they don't give you a chance for adequate feedback. What do you need, a sit-down with the developers? There are standard /feedback and /bug functions, and the post-beta weekend surveys have been some of the most thorough, insightful, and responsive that I've seen.

I mean really. It's just a game. A decent one. Have you played X:Rebirth? That's a bad game. This is not.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

GoneGoldAlum wrote:What the hell? Seriously. Hipster much?
Not even sure what that's supposed to mean, but...welcome? :?
But it's a decent game. It doesn't deserve the comments it's getting here. It's fun. It beats the hell out of GW2.
Um, no. No it most certainly does not.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Daehawk, I have no idea what you are talking about when you say they don't give you a chance for adequate feedback. What do you need, a sit-down with the developers? There are standard /feedback and /bug functions, and the post-beta weekend surveys have been some of the most thorough, insightful, and responsive that I've seen.
What I mean is that they say they will give you a weekend to test it and supply insight into your opinion on it. But by the time you down load it on their slow servers 1 day is gone. And they want you on a new install each time...no old ones. Then their login servers are up on moment and down the next. Then the game will be down for some reason and then back up. So out of the weekends I tried to test it i would sometimes be LUCKY to get a total of 2 hours in.

With that kind of limitation it is impossible to get a feel for the game, test anything of the game, and supply any type of useful feedback.

Maybe you work there, maybe this is your baby, or maybe you'll just love and buy anything that certain companies put out. I just feel Im an intelligent person for not wanting to pay anything for this steaming pile of a MMO wanna-be me too money grab.I would not play this if it was free. Im also not afraid to say a turd is a turd. I can say I am sad it is like this and not the game I was hoping it could be.

Way to come out of lurking.