Elder Scrolls the MMO

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: Elder Scrolls the MMO

Post by Daehawk »

Last week I purchased the STeam version of Blackwood for $19. Never got it to load. It stuck at LOADING. Plz dont post "its your old OS"..its not. Thats why I didn't bother to post here asking for any solutions because thats all I get from you guys. Look it up and you'll see like me its an old long known problem with no general fix. I tried all the online stuff that failed others and it failed me as well. I finally had to ask for a refund. Its been approved but is still pending being tossed into my Steam wallet. Was hoping to just buy it from The games website store later like I did the game itself.

I know that it all works up to Morrowind because I played it and the stuff before that when it was free on some weekend adventures. Hoping to get it all sorted soon.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:53 pm Last week I purchased the STeam version of Blackwood for $19. Never got it to load. It stuck at LOADING. Plz dont post "its your old OS"..its not. I've been using Windows 98 (SECOND EDITION!)for the last 19 years and it's worked fine for 4 of those!
FTFY
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Are we that obvious now? :D

I'm assuming you saw this? Seems to be related to specific O/S files or the firewall. I guess not helpful since you already initiated the refund but I guess if it persists after you re-purchase elsewhere...
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya tried all the firewall stuff and driver changes. Really tried on this one as I wanted a time filler between other stuff. Its why I plan to try again when I have the free cash through their own stuff. Unfortunately I used the pre paid card my sister gave me for Christmas to put money in my Steam wallet instead of paying directly for it so it only goes back into my wallet and is stuck as a steam future purchase money thing.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, the ESO stuff is weird, unless they updated it. Like you need to purchase/activate the content from one provider. I can't (again, unless they changed it) purchase the DLC directly from Bethesda and have it work on STEAM. Or if you purchased ESO direct from them, it won't activate on STEAM.

Stuck when loading is maddening. In my experience it's always been driver related - one of those random C+ updates or the video driver. Usually the firewall thing will drop you out so you can at least see it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya I tried the C++ download too. Mine just would start up let me accept the EULA then choose English as my language then that ESO box would pop up showing LOADING.......forever. No error no crash. I let it sit there for 6 hours while I played other games at one point and nothing. The only way out was to ctrl-alt-del it.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:24 pm Yeah, the ESO stuff is weird, unless they updated it. Like you need to purchase/activate the content from one provider. I can't (again, unless they changed it) purchase the DLC directly from Bethesda and have it work on STEAM. Or if you purchased ESO direct from them, it won't activate on STEAM.

Stuck when loading is maddening. In my experience it's always been driver related - one of those random C+ updates or the video driver. Usually the firewall thing will drop you out so you can at least see it.
Must have been updated because I bought the Blackwood expansion about 6 months ago through the ESO store and it was just applied to my account.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Good to know - maybe they realized how absurd their model was and all the random gatekeeping was screwing up sales?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

For sure. Once Steam launches the ESO launcher, I don't think it really knows it's a Steam version at that point.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Picked this up again since Lost Ark is doing nothing for me and I miss New World (without actually missing New World).

I bought this at launch but bounced off it hard. I tried a few years later but got distracted, I think during a move. I still only got to level 6.

I see there's a new tutorial. It's less impressive, but it's fresh content.

I feel like I'm doing something wrong if I don't search every single urn. I think this compulsion put me off the game originally, as well.

After playing New World, the graphics here are actually starting to look dated. But it's still very colourful and detailed.

There's so much to do and learn... trying to get into an MMOG so late is hard.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Didn't try New World and me and my online friend agree that Lost Ark does nothing . I actually picked up the Blackwood thing in the Xmas sales that came with all the other addons...but being on Win 7 then it would not work so got a refund. Shame as now that Im on Win 10 I could be playing it but the cost has shot back up and alludes me.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

I’ll probably take another spin in a couple weeks when the new DLC comes out. Nothing too exciting in the new expansion this June, but I like how they do one big storyline through the year.

If any of you are still around let me know!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

If you don't already own it, the Morrowind DLC is now free for all players.
Starting right now and for the foreseeable future, your ESO account has access to the Morrowind DLC upon logging into the game. Note that if your account does not appear to have access to the DLC, you can pick it up from the DLC section of the in-game Crown Store at no cost.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

High Isle launches today for anyone interested!

I’ll (hopefully) post impressions at some point…
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Stop this. No talking about ESO. I just deleted it to make room for something else after not having time to get to it since I bought the Blackwood dlc with all the other ones included. Dont do this to me :P
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The NA server still hasn't been brought back up since it was taken down for the patch. The outage has been extended to 05:00 PM ET the last time I checked. So the expansion is off to a great start! :horse:

There are also Twitch drops active until Jun 10. You have to soak up 4 hours of viewing time to get a couple of crates and a pet.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

haha funny I read that as "The outRage has been extended to 05:00 PM ET"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It's an MMO and the server is down on a launch day. I've no doubt there is plenty of outrage alongside the outage. :lol:

Especially since it has now been extended to 07:00 PM ET. We've probably hit the point where players are demanding compensation for losing a day of their subscription time.

baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Max Peck wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:14 pm We've probably hit the point where players are demanding compensation for losing a day of their subscription time.
I thought TESO no longer had a subscription plan, other than the "premium" service that gave you in-game currency?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

baelthazar wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:08 am
Max Peck wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:14 pm We've probably hit the point where players are demanding compensation for losing a day of their subscription time.
I thought TESO no longer had a subscription plan, other than the "premium" service that gave you in-game currency?
It's optional. The most valuable benefit of the subscription (for me) isn't the in-game store currency, it's the increased storage capacity and unlimited crafting materials storage. When I started playing again in 2020 after a multi-year absence from the game, I lasted all of 4 days or so before switching to the subscription simply because inventory management was such a huge PITA for me under the free-to-play option.

The subscription also unlocks access to some of the content that you'd need to buy otherwise, IIRC.

rittchard

Post by rittchard »

I think the sub gives you bonus xp and some other perks as well as access to all existing DLC (?) but probably not the newest expansion.

So I logged in around 7pm PST and had to do another patch download and install, took a bit of time. After that I jumped in with no incident, if you guys hadn’t mentioned it here I would never have known about the outage.

Only played a little so far, but it’s pretty much what I’d expected. Kind of a nice slow start with story building in a new area (High Isle). As ever the voiceovers and dialog are all top notch. I must admit after playing Elden Ring the graphics and environment are a bit lacking in comparison. I’ve always felt the graphics engine was surprisingly good for it’s age, but after playing ER I am definitely more aware of the ESO engine age. Not an issue at all for me but just something in the back of my mind. I think my ideal game would have the visual quality and depth of ER but with the gameplay accessibility of ESO. I did run into a weird community event when a volcano sprouted out of nowhere. Those are always kind of chaotic fun, but I had no context to what it was about when I ran into it.

As I mentioned in the past, I’m trying very hard to avoid any side quests. It’s sooooo tempting to just talk to these people you run into who are in trouble or whining about something, but in times past, as soon as I get sidetracked from the main plot I lose momentum and stop playing. So I’m gonna try to stick to my guns and do only main quest. We’ll see how it goes.
Aliasbuck

Post by Aliasbuck »

rittchard wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:51 pm As I mentioned in the past, I’m trying very hard to avoid any side quests. It’s sooooo tempting to just talk to these people you run into who are in trouble or whining about something, but in times past, as soon as I get sidetracked from the main plot I lose momentum and stop playing. So I’m gonna try to stick to my guns and do only main quest. We’ll see how it goes.
There was a Penny Arcade comic (that I can't find quickly) that came out when City of Heroes was new that had the new heroes saving everyone's kitten, running down purse snatchers, etc. The next panel had them running by all of those NPCs saying Sorry, gotta save the world! So true, even today :lol:
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Been thinking about jumping back into ESO and was doing some reading today about the xpacs. I currently own everything up through the Skyrim one, so Greymoor, Summerset, Morrowind, and Elsweyr. It looks like the newest xpac (High Isle) is kinda underwhelming, with a main quest that can be finished in just a few hours. I'm not terribly interested in that. However, multiple sites ranked the Oblivion xpac (Blackwood) as the best of all of them. Very interested in giving that a shot.

Now comes the tricky part...how do I buy Blackwood?

I don't see any way to buy it by itself, it's not included with an ESO Plus subscription (Greymoor, Summerset, Morrowind, and Elsweyr are), you can't buy it in the Crown Store, and it's not included with the $40 upgrade version of High Isle. Seems like the only way to get it is to pay a full $60 for the "Elder Scrolls Collection" version, which includes all of the DLC's. That would be kinda stupid, since I've already paid for the base game and $40 each for four of the six xpacs it offers.

Is there another way to get Blackwood that I'm just not seeing? If not, I'll probably just pass on giving ESO another go. Not gonna pay a full $60 just for that.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

You can buy the Blackwood DLC through the ingame store for 3500 crowns.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Max Peck wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:50 pm You can buy the Blackwood DLC through the ingame store for 3500 crowns.
Weird, it's not listed as an available DLC via the Crown Store on the ESO website.

I'm still downloading the game (125 GB takes a minute on my connection), so I haven't been able to check the actual in-game store yet. Will take a look when I can actually get in...sometime around 5 hours from now. :lol:

Also, is Minion still the best mod manager for ESO? Or is there a better option these days?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Yeah, I noticed that DLC wasn't listed at all on the website so I logged in to the game to check there. I have no idea why DLC isn't listed in both places.

I don't use all that many mods, so I just manage them manually.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Thanks for checking. I almost cancelled my DL because I didn’t think it was available. :)
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

So how is Blackwood?

I d/l and poked around a bit but have not resubbed yet. Still one of the nicest looking MMOs ever, except for Bethesda elf models.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I got Blackwood bac ka ways but not played anything yet. Which area...or DLC...is best to star ta new character in..like Morrowinds area or Blackwood or what?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It's been two or three years since the last time I rolled up a new character, but I'm not sure that there is a best option anymore. Last time around, I started in Western Skyrim and did the Greymoor content, then switched to the original main story quest. If I was going to start a new alt, I'd just roll with it and do what seems interesting.

One advantage to doing Blackwood sooner rather than later is that you should be able pick up the companions and start levelling them up.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh there's companions now? I figured the warden had a bear and necro a skeleton or two. Ive never had a companion in ESO.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The first two companions were added last year in Blackwood and two more were added with this year's High Isle expansion.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh I dont have High Isle.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Made a new dark elf necro and khajiit warden. I was under the impression that it would start me in some respective dlc area..like morrowind for the dark elf and whatever the khajiit would start in. But both started in the same place in Blackwood. I guess I got to the other DLC areas when I want later.

Also kinda strange my dark elf necro started wit ha 2 handed axe.....Im still using two handed but it doesn't feel right for her to wield that. Not sure what I want though.Im guessing light armor or maybe medium...not heavy though. So far Im using just junk I can get thats better than what I have without regard to type. Same will go for my warden too.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

At these early lvls is it ok to just whatever armor and weapons I find that are better than what Im using or should I really start focusing on the type of armor and wep I will be using as my class now and not wait? Im just lvl 5 or 6 I think. Im a necro in heavy,medium and light armor using staves and two handed swords and axes lol. Should I just try to change into light armors and a mage like weapon now even if they are not as good?

Same goes for my warden. I only created him but have not played so Im not sure what he uses as all. Im guessing medium armor and bow and sword or something 1 handed. Im guessing he is more hunter like than warrior since he has a pet bear.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

You can pretty much just do whatever you want. Skill point respecs are relatively cheap, so you're not locking yourself into any particular combination of skills and abilities.

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:58 pm Same goes for my warden. I only created him but have not played so Im not sure what he uses as all. Im guessing medium armor and bow and sword or something 1 handed. Im guessing he is more hunter like than warrior since he has a pet bear.
Any class can use any armor or weapon.

You can even mix and match whatever armor types you want.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I’ve been giving this another go on PS5, as PSN had the whole bundle on sale for $20. It does lose quite a bit in QOL by not having mods, but it isn’t as awful as I was expecting. I’m not too worried about getting to endgame anyways, and am just having fun running through the Blackwood (Oblivion) chapter. It looks fantastic and the load times (which were awful on PS4) are instant on PS5.

For this MMORPG, I find that when I focus on the “RPG” part, I have a blast. It’s when I get sucked into the “MMO” part that it really starts to lose its lustre. Playing it as a well-written 30-ish hour Elder Scrolls adventure is neat. Worrying about endgame builds, zone completion, and endgame gear is not. Thankfully, I’ve been able to turn off that part of my brain this time around.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

ESO Plus Free Trial
The ESO Plus Free Trial is live from now until Tuesday, January 31, at 10:00AM EST.
Explore Elsweyr’s Warm Sands During the Season of the Dragon Celebration Event
Tis the Season for Drake-Slaying! The Season of the Dragon Celebration begins Thursday, January 26 at 10AM EST, and runs until Tuesday, February 7 at 10AM EST. Throughout the event, you can collect special Reward Boxes and benefit from increased drops to Daily Quests, Dungeons, and Trials throughout the regions of Northern and Southern Elsweyr.