Elder Scrolls the MMO

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: Elder Scrolls the MMO

Post by Blackhawk »

One thing I've done in other MMOs when things are too easy is to intentionally de-optimize. Take weapons and equipment that are fun, but not ideal. Summon pets that are the wrong pet for what you're doing. Over-pull.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Craglorn is about the only zone I can think of where pretty much all of the overland content has ramped up difficulty. However in the newer zones, the world bosses and anchor-analogs (e.g. the ritual sites in Western Skyrim) tend to be more challenging, even for groups.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

Stuie wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:47 pm I just loaded up the guild bank with all my extra Companion gear. Please feel free to grab what you need!
Doh! I didn't even think of this. I'll start doing this, too.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Damn I keep seeing this thread and getting closer to joining. Is it worth it? How does it stack up to Neverwinter MMO (my current "retro" guilty pleasure)?
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Hyena wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:10 pm Damn I keep seeing this thread and getting closer to joining. Is it worth it? How does it stack up to Neverwinter MMO (my current "retro" guilty pleasure)?
Having spent at least a couple hundred hours with each, I think ESO is the far better game. it has a much more interesting world, cool stories, feels much less grindy and P2W, combat is more fun, and it has a level of general polish that NW lacks.

That said, NW definitely has it's charms and I find myself going back to it a couple times a year. It's MMO "comfort food". :)
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:34 pm
Hyena wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:10 pm Damn I keep seeing this thread and getting closer to joining. Is it worth it? How does it stack up to Neverwinter MMO (my current "retro" guilty pleasure)?
Having spent at least a couple hundred hours with each, I think ESO is the far better game. it has a much more interesting world, cool stories, feels much less grindy and P2W, combat is more fun, and it has a level of general polish that NW lacks.

That said, NW definitely has it's charms and I find myself going back to it a couple times a year. It's MMO "comfort food". :)
Yeah, that comfort is how I feel about City of Heroes LOL

OK, I will take a look at it tonight. Is there a guild?
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Update: went ahead and bought the full monty pack for $60. Any ideas where I should go? Is there a suggested starting area, and does my starting "alliance" from my race have any bearing at all?

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

If you want to do the content more or less in the intended order, I'd start with the main quest, which should correspond to your alliance.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Max Peck wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:13 am If you want to do the content more or less in the intended order, I'd start with the main quest, which should correspond to your alliance.
Started a warden and a necromancer. When I started, it was a "choose your own path" thing after the tutorial where I had the choice to go to any area on Tamriel through a selection of portals. I just took my dark elf to Vvardenfell, but I didn't know where to take my warden.

Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

I've been at this game for more then a year now. I have a master crafter (9 trait) who can make any craftable in the game. If you guys need anything I can be reached @dmalrajabi. I can also pretty much steamroll most content w/multiple max level characters @CP ~1300. So reach out if you guys run into anything you can't handle.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Kurth wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:56 pm I think I’m going to move on from ESO. I’m really only in it for the PvE stuff and the story and Elder Scrolls setting. But it’s no fun without even a hint of a challenge. Bummer.
Orcrest would be a challenge. Try soloing it. As a matter of fact if ANYONE is looking for a challenge PM me. I'll tell you exactly where the challenges are
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Drazzil wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:10 pm
Kurth wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:56 pm I think I’m going to move on from ESO. I’m really only in it for the PvE stuff and the story and Elder Scrolls setting. But it’s no fun without even a hint of a challenge. Bummer.
Orcrest would be a challenge. Try soloing it. As a matter of fact if ANYONE is looking for a challenge PM me. I'll tell you exactly where the challenges are
I don't think finding dungeons that are a challenge is the problem. He's concerned with the landscape content not being challenging.
Bad Demographic

Hyena wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:59 pm
Max Peck wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:13 am If you want to do the content more or less in the intended order, I'd start with the main quest, which should correspond to your alliance.
Started a warden and a necromancer. When I started, it was a "choose your own path" thing after the tutorial where I had the choice to go to any area on Tamriel through a selection of portals. I just took my dark elf to Vvardenfell, but I didn't know where to take my warden.
What race is your warden? You could start the story line for their faction.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Bad Demographic

Reemul wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:56 am Also is it 1 big server or EU and US? Wouldn't mind an invite to the guild if available.
What's your game name? (@something) Any of us can invite you if we know that.

Black Lives Matter
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Alefroth wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:27 pm
Drazzil wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:10 pm
I don't think finding dungeons that are a challenge is the problem. He's concerned with the landscape content not being challenging.
Try Craglorn or Oblivion (Cold Harbor?)
habibi

Post by habibi »

In my opinion, if you are in the first 50 levels, the game is easy because there seems to be adjustment at the early games. Your character will have a faster regen of health, stamina, and magicka. So, if you have help from guild members and is able to get them to craft you some good gear, you will find it very easy. Once you have reached level 50 and start leveling up on your Champion Points, you will find that the "help mode" is removed and you will find a more challenging game. Perhaps give ESO a chance until you reached level 50.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Ok, dumb question here, but how do I find my @name? I really want to be in the guild so I can advance. I have a wood elf night blade Ranger as my main.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Hyena wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:08 pm Ok, dumb question here, but how do I find my @name? I really want to be in the guild so I can advance. I have a wood elf night blade Ranger as my main.
If you bring up the "Friends" UI (hotkey O), your UserID is shown in the top left-hand corner.

Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:30 pm
Hyena wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:08 pm Ok, dumb question here, but how do I find my @name? I really want to be in the guild so I can advance. I have a wood elf night blade Ranger as my main.
If you bring up the "Friends" UI (hotkey O), your UserID is shown in the top left-hand corner.
AHA! Thank you! I am @Darkbowe

Bad Demographic

Hyena - I've added you as a member. Or else I've added a stranger with a similar name.

Black Lives Matter
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

Think I need to make room for another guild so I'll be dropping OO again sorry!

If you ever need help in game feel free to whisper me or friend me @Stuie.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Bad Demographic wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:29 pm Hyena - I've added you as a member. Or else I've added a stranger with a similar name.
Got the invite, thanks!

habibi

Post by habibi »

Bad Demographic wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:29 pm Hyena - I've added you as a member. Or else I've added a stranger with a similar name.
Please invite me @belfong. Thank you.
Bad Demographic

habibi wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:37 am
Please invite me @belfong. Thank you.
Done

Black Lives Matter
Tao

Post by Tao »

Question for the group. A friend asked if I was interested in playing ESO, he had never played before, so he purchased the current Blackwood edition, which includes almost everything prior I believe. On the other hand, I already have an account with the base game and Morrowind (which I purchased a while back). If I buy the Blackwood upgrade it looks to be limited to only the new Blackwood content and if I buy the Blackwood Collectors, I've read I will need to start a brand new account, anyone know if that is correct? For a game touted as buy and play I really feel like Bethesda has their hand in my pocket in order to get all the content, especially the Warden and Necromancer classes.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Tao wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:48 pm if I buy the Blackwood Collectors, I've read I will need to start a brand new account, anyone know if that is correct?
That sounds wrong. Last year I bought the full Greymoor Digital Collector's Edition on Steam and was able to apply it to my existing ESO account in order to get caught up on all the expansions that I had missed.

habibi

Post by habibi »

When I started ESO, I bought the base game and Elswyr chapter. Played for a year and a half and during last winter's Steam sale, I bought the whole Greymoor chapter. Greymoor was applied automatically to my account. I did not have to do anything.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Tao wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:48 pm Question for the group. A friend asked if I was interested in playing ESO, he had never played before, so he purchased the current Blackwood edition, which includes almost everything prior I believe. On the other hand, I already have an account with the base game and Morrowind (which I purchased a while back). If I buy the Blackwood upgrade it looks to be limited to only the new Blackwood content and if I buy the Blackwood Collectors, I've read I will need to start a brand new account, anyone know if that is correct? For a game touted as buy and play I really feel like Bethesda has their hand in my pocket in order to get all the content, especially the Warden and Necromancer classes.
https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-u ... post/59473

The Elder Scrolls Online Collection: Blackwood
The Elder Scroll Online Collection: Blackwood Collector’s Edition
The Elder Scrolls Online: Blackwood Upgrade
The Elder Scrolls Online: Blackwood Upgrade Collector’s Edition

The Collection—Includes the base game and ALL previous Chapters (Morrowind, Summerset, Elsweyr, and Greymoor) in addition to Blackwood
The Upgrade—Includes the Blackwood Chapter exclusively
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I'm watching the ESO Quakecon panel, and the devs just said that the game has better visuals on the current gen consoles than it does on PC. Which makes me wonder when they'll get around to ungimping the PC version. :think:

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hmm...i have this on the xbox series x. Methinks I should revisit it now.
Covfefe!
Tao

Post by Tao »

Thanks all for the feedback. I did pour over the website and look at the various information panels before I posted, so I get what is included with each package, I was just concerned by some of the Reddit comments and how Zeni/Bethesda is breaking down costs for content.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

If anyone is interested in checking out the game, there is a free trial until the end of next weekend or thereabouts.

Tao

Post by Tao »

Base game is also only $8 bucks for another week or so as well, pretty darn cheap.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

The update this morning included multithread processing support. It's not enabled by default. I got a 30% boost in FPS.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok Im tired of looking for info online and reading hours of conflicting info.

I have ESO. Had it forever. I want the DLC addons. It appears the Blackwood DLC is what Im after. It looks like the UPGRADE only has Blackwood and the COLLECTION has all of them...Blackwood, Elseweyrm Summerset, Morrowind, and Greymoor. Its like $19 right now.

But I keep seeing conflicts in postings...one says since its the collection and includes the base game you have to install it all and start a new account. Yet others say no you just register it and it will install all the DLC into your existing game and account.

So who is right here? I mean $19 for ALL dlc is a damn good deal.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I got the Blackwood Collection and am playing my existing account.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:01 am I got the Blackwood Collection and am playing my existing account.
Ok that is good to hear. Did you just apply a code and it added everything?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I got digital edition and just added it to my account which gave me access to the content I didn't have. I assume there was a download, but I don't specifically remember it.

Are you looking at a physical version?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

No....digital. Since I have the game through their site and not Steam figured if I do end up getting it on sale Id get it there as well.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The full version includes all of the previous chapters while the upgrade only includes the most recent chapter.

I purchased the full version of Greymoor last year on Steam, and that gave me all the chapters that I had missed (I hadn't been playing since a few months after launch). Steam just runs the ESO launcher, so the game itself still runs and updates from that. I don't recall if I had to do anything specific to link Steam and my ESO account (Steam was already linked to my Bethesda account), but it did upgrade my existing ESO account and it wasn't necessary to restart from scratch.