Jagged Alliance: Back in Action and Obituaries

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Tampa_Gamer

Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action and Obituaries

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

So now that Steam has this marked down 40% to $23.99, I was thinking of making the jump and adding it my list of bought/unplayed games. But I was avoiding it until they implemented the Sector Inventory concept. For those tracking this one, any good news about the upcoming patch?

[edit] found what I was looking for - this was posted over at the Steam forum by the developers:

Greetings,

As you may have seen the Jagged Alliance: Back in Action is now available at the Weekend Deal with 40% off (until Monday evening). With that said I'd like to pre-release the changelog for the upcoming patch which will (hopefully) be available by the end of this month. Testing has already started. And if everything works out fine it'll be released very soon Please note: It could be possible that the patch will be released in May, but right now everything is planned for April. Please also note: This is not the final changelog. Things still could change due to tests. Please also note: This time the changelog is not as long as the last time. The main focus was on the new features and I can confirm that they really, really took a lot of work. Nuff said. Here you go:

Added Features
• Added hard difficulty level as option on game start. Modifies enemy strength, income and starting funds.
• Added tactical mode as option on game start.
- Enemies have to be revealed via line of sight in tactical mode.
- Sound sources are marked in tactical view as well as on the minimap

• Added two new achievements for tactical mode and higher difficulty.
• Added option to level recruited militia via location UI on the world map.
• Added options to distribute militia via location UI on the world map (evenly across all locations, focused on single location)
• Added sector inventory, accessible via Character Detail Screen
- Always accessible in friendly sectors
- Automatically includes all containers that have been opened and all enemy drops that have been spotted by the player
- Accessible for militia recruitment and trading with NPCs

• Added item exchange via Drag & Drop in Character Details Screen. Illegible mercs are marked red. Within hostile sectors mercs need to be within 5m distance to be able to exchange items.
• Stamina is reduced when returning to the strategic map when squads travelled great distances in the tactical view
• Current ammo saved for each weapon, weapons are unloaded when being handed over to militia. Militia will hand weapons back unloaded to prevent players cheating ammo via the militia equip screen
• NPC Traders restock their inventory over time (rules can be modified via characters.txt)
• Targeting line indicates best range of weapon and chance to hit via color from green (good) to red (bad)
• Camera scrolling possible by moving the cursor to the border of the screen
• Polnish language added

Bug Fixes
• Fixed some exploits that allowed to duplicate items via item exchange
• Fixed bugs in squad selection via list on world map
• Fixed regeneration of HP on world map, HP lost due to wounds takes longer to regenerate
• Added missing text for Raider’s hiring dialogue

Balancing Changes and Tweaks
• Added grenade launcher ammo to containers in some locations in the world
• Added grenade launcher ammo to the stock of some local traders
• Slightly decreased accuracy of snipers when prone
• Tweaked enemy attributes to adjust aim time in combat
• Tweaked enemy perception to accommodate introduction of Line of Sight
• Enemies do not drop additional ammo but only the ammo they have left in their weapon
• Enemy area defenders swap random positions to make the game less predictable in tactical mode (interval can be modified via templatesAIdescription.txt)
• Reduced chance of friendly fire between enemies
• State of tanks is stored outside of levels
• Destroyed tanks only respawn if the location still belongs to the enemy after 24 hours
• Location of Limited Edition DaHonko Flakes is now randomized

Fine printed: With the release of the patch there might come along a hint at what happens after the patch. Maybe. I repeat: Maybe.

Attention Beware that if you have modified the game that it could happen that your game won't start with the new patch. Please delete all gamefiles first and make sure nothing is left. Otherwise we won't be able to give support.
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

FYI, the new patch was "uploaded" to Steam today

http://boards.jaggedalliance.com/index. ... patch-113/" target="_blank

Final Change Log
Spoiler:
Added Features
• Added hard difficulty level as option on game start. Modifies enemy strength, income and starting funds.
• Added tactical mode as option on game start.

•Enemies have to be revealed via line of sight in tactical mode.

•ound sources are marked in tactical view as well as on the minimap

• Added two new achievements for tactical mode and higher difficulty.
• Added option to level recruited militia up via the location UI on the world map.
• Added options to distribute militia via location UI (evenly across all combat zones, focused on a single combat zone)
• Added sector inventory, accessible via Character Detail Screen

•Always accessible in friendly sectors

•Automatically includes all containers that have been opened and all enemy drops that have been spotted by the player

•Accessible for militia recruitment and trading with NPCs

• Added item exchange via Drag & Drop in Character Details Screen. Illegible mercs are marked red.
• Within hostile sectors mercs need to be within 5m distance to be able to exchange items.
• Stamina is reduced when returning to the strategic map when squads travelled great distances in the tactical view
• Current ammo saved for each weapon, weapons are unloaded when being handed over to militia.
• Militia will hand weapons back unloaded to prevent players cheating ammo via the militia equip screen
• NPC Traders restock their inventory over time (rules can be modified via characters.txt)
• Targeting line indicates best range of weapon and chance to hit via color from green (good) to red (bad)
• Camera scrolling possible by moving the cursor to the border of the screen in fullscreen mode
• Added Sound FX for melee attacks
• Putting away a fire arm for non-combat actions (e.g. heal) will no longer reset the firemode of the weapon
• Added scrollbar in mail list window
• Added trash can icon to delete mail to mail window

Bug Fixes
• Fixed some exploits that allowed to duplicate items via item exchange
• Fixed bugs in squad selection via list on world map
• Fixed regeneration of HP on world map, HP lost due to wounds takes longer to regenerate
• Added missing text for Raider’s hiring dialogue
• Fixed Blood not liking Magic due to a typo
• Fixed MP53 weapon type not being specified
• Fixed Deidranna’s sending of troops based on the player’s income becoming less likely
• Fixed orientation of 66mm rocket shot from LAW
• Fixed issue when player receives several items of the as quest reward and has not enough space in inventory to hold all of them
• Fixed crash in tutorial
• Fixed several mercs that move as a group changing positions after reaching their destination if one of them with active guard mode receives a new goto order
• Fixed guard mode would prevent mercs from letting other mercs pass them
• Fixed mail list not being cleared when starting a new game
• Fixed item swap to player inventory for stacked items on rightclick and by "loot all"-button
• Fixed bug in loner trait
• Fixed bug in tough trait
• Added slight offset to grenade explosions to prevent explosions inside ground to prevent grenades damage to be reduced by terrain
• Changes to terrain to prevent grenades from falling through ground on machines with low frame rates
• Fixed explosions not destroying armor correctly

Balancing Changes and Tweaks
• Added grenade launcher ammo to containers in some locations in the world
• Added grenade launcher ammo to the stock of some local traders
• Slightly decreased accuracy of snipers when prone
• Tweaked enemy attributes to adjust aim time in combat
• Tweaked enemy perception to accommodate introduction of Line of Sight
• Enemies drop the amount of ammo they have left in their weapon
• Enemy area defenders swap random positions to make the game less predictable in tactical mode (interval can be modified via templatesAIdescription.txt)
• Reduced chance of friendly fire between enemies
• State of tanks is stored outside of levels
• Destroyed tanks only respawn if the location still belongs to the enemy after 24 hours
• Location of Limited Edition DaHonko Flakes is now randomized
• NPC traders item list is sorted by item type
• Tweaks and improvements to pathfinding and navmesh calculation, mercs should not slow down in narrow passages anymore
• Tweaked damage done to vehicles by explosives making tanks harder to destroy with grenades alone

Localization
• Polish language files added
• Added missing texts for French
• Added polish translation for game launcher
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Hate to KC this thread, but I finally started playing this again and I am having a blast with it. It's been so long that I don't really remember the experience before the patches, but I am not finding anything particularly bothersome. I think the "zone inventory" fixes my biggest complaint.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skeptic

Post by Skeptic »

But they still have not fixed the real time combat. And so I will still avoid this crap fest of an insult to the Jagged Alliance name.
"I am in a very peculiar business...I travel all over the world telling people what they should already know." - James "The Amazing" Randi
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Skeptic wrote:But they still have not fixed the real time combat. And so I will still avoid this crap fest of an insult to the Jagged Alliance name.
Can you be more specific? What's broken? Are you saying you want turn based? I really like the combat system, and I generally prefer turn based combat.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I finished the game, Diedranna fell in the wee hours of the morning on Day 9. The funny thing is I had a $75k order of armor and equipment on the way but didn't have the patience to wait for it. Blood and Raven with a side of Len were the keys to success. Also, M16s with holographic sights. Being able to fire 3 rounds every .8 seconds or so is good. ;)

Now I am waiting for a sale on Crossfire.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

Necroing this thread, because I want to play JA2 again but cannot get past the UI/graphics at this point here in 2022.

Anyway, just curious if anyone is aware of any good mods released in the last 6-7 years that are worth using for a new play through of JA:BiA.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Don't have any info on mods, but you might want to Steam Wishlist this:

I just saw it mentioned as part of the THQ Nordic Digital Showcase. It may have been mentioned somewhere else before, this is the first I've seen about it.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

There was a release named "Jagged Alliance: Obituaries"? That's f'ing metal. Nothing turns up when searching Google?

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Coopasonic I'm holding you personally responsible for my impulse purchase of Back in Action. I know that your last post in the thread was 9 years ago and jztemple was the one who bumped it but 9 years ago you were positive on the game! Hopefully I play it and don't simply let it molder in my backlog.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Sudy wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:58 pm There was a release named "Jagged Alliance: Obituaries"? That's f'ing metal. Nothing turns up when searching Google?
Was there? I thought that was just a metaphor to cover the discussion of the OG Jagged Alliance games.

Anyway...

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Some of your old favs show up in a new Jagged Alliance 3 gameplay trailer
Today's THQ Nordic Digital Showcase included another look at Jagged Alliance 3, which we haven't seen since last year. It's a bit of recap of what we saw last year, but there's also a few minutes of new gameplay footage that evokes the old series pretty heavily. In it, we can see the mercenaries shooting bursts, single shots, firing on the run, and diving from cover to cover.

The biggest shock for series fans? Probably that Vicki grew out her hair. That's a joke but also I'm 100% serious, she had a short buzz before and it was kind of a Grace Jones vibe and that was neat, but now she has dreads. Either way, I expect she's still the dual-wielding classic car enthusiast that won my admiration in the prior games, and if she's not I say we riot.

Why do I care? Because much of the best stuff in the now 23 years out of action Jagged Alliance series was in recruiting weird mercenaries to take on oppressive regimes, and in how those mercenaries had a web of complex relationships with each other in this bizarre alternate world of international super mercenaries. No joke, the series had two draws: Really weirdly detailed tactical gun combat and dozens of uniquely voiced mercs who all liked/hated/loved each other in spades. Most of the mercs in the new gameplay trailer are ones we've seen before—we'll see if they add all 60-some of the old mercs on top of some new ones, since I see at least three names I don't recongize—Omryn, Fauda, and Smiley.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

After coming off of the excellent Warhammer 40K - Chaosgate Daemonhunters, this has a lot of good stuff I see in the trailer. I like the extra achievements (W40K:CD had that too), along with the weapon customization and choices. I'm going to be watching this one!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Best news I’ve seen in PC gaming for literally years. Holy shit!

Wishlisted
Insta-buy.
Insta-hard-on.
Hot damn!
:horse: :dance: :animals-chickencatch:
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

Thanks JZ, it looks like I already had JA3 wishlisted from the last time we had a thread on it (didn't realize it until I went to wishlist it again!).

Anyway, I did find two overhaul mods for JA:BiA over on ModB. Going to try the one that looks like it was more recently updated when I do the run through so will report back. Also, if anyone didn't grab this then it looks like the bundle with some DLC is on sale for $2.99 at Steam