Borderlands 2 - Impressions start Page 5

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

miltonite

Re: Borderlands 2 - Impressions start Page 5

Post by miltonite »

Tiny Tina's DLC was my favorite of all the Borderlands games to date.

It had some pretty tough fights but it was all worth it.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

:doh:

Yes. Yes, you do.

:D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

GreenGoo wrote:Working hard against the instinct to reload was actually an enjoyable part of playing Gaige for me. Of course I'd be pissed if I reloaded by accident, but that just made it more fun (I realize not many will feel this way).
I guess I'm in the "not fun when it happens" category. When I play Gaige, I rebind the reload key to the far corner of the keyboard just to keep me from hitting it by reflex. :)
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
KDH

Post by KDH »

typically, I can reload after firing one shot .. I don't use Tediore weapons for this reason

I paid for the Gaige and Krieg DLCs, but I have no desire to play them now because their skillsets don't fit my lack-of-skillset
Ain't nobody got time for that
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Max Peck wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:Working hard against the instinct to reload was actually an enjoyable part of playing Gaige for me. Of course I'd be pissed if I reloaded by accident, but that just made it more fun (I realize not many will feel this way).
I guess I'm in the "not fun when it happens" category. When I play Gaige, I rebind the reload key to the far corner of the keyboard just to keep me from hitting it by reflex. :)
Well, it's fun in the "I've been trained in the Pavlovian way to reload often and when the opportunity arises". Trying to break that response because the benefit of *not* reloading is far greater than the benefit of reloading, is interesting. You know it's better not to reload, and yet you do it anyway.

In any case, I've been tempted to rebind the key as well, but I decided that if I reloaded I deserved what I got. It didn't take long (although a bit painful) to stop reloading. When I had the most trouble is when I was switching back and forth between characters. But even that had it's benefits, as it keep me from reloading *too* much. Sometimes you just don't need to reload, and sometimes, reloading is a mistake (although rarely).
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

KDH wrote:typically, I can reload after firing one shot .. I don't use Tediore weapons for this reason

I paid for the Gaige and Krieg DLCs, but I have no desire to play them now because their skillsets don't fit my lack-of-skillset
Kreige can be played as a shooter. In fact he's as good as a shooter as he is as a melee'r. Gaige can ignore the anarchy skill all together. You can go heavy 'bot or even shock trooper if you want. It's just that Anarchy is so powerful that almost all builds incorporate it in some way. I'd argue it's overpowered, but borderlands has never been about balance, only about fun and shooting things.

Non-typical builds are a lot of fun, and pretty much every character can be built in different ways that still work.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I ran with a shock build on Gaige for a LONG time. I only recently tried the anarchy stuff. It just seemed too much trouble initially. Plus, I had some really nice shock weapons.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
stessier

Post by stessier »

And Gaige takes down the Warrior. The crowd goes wild!!!

Not sure what I'm going to try next...I'm thinking maybe Tina's DLC. Maya is up to Ultimate Vault Hunter mode - might use her.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Congrats!

I find that fight to be relatively balanced. Something is always plinking at your health, so you never feel like you're "safe", but it's not so tough that making a mistake results in your death. Gear, as always, plays a part, as any lucky drops you've gotten recently make it a LOT easier than if you have to use average weapons for your level.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Cracked $1M last night. Made level 50 w/i the last couple sessions.

Taking down the griefers was fun, if a bit challenging with the restrictions.

Oh, and just leave the gun alone.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

We're about to hit 50 in our family three-person co-op run. We're in the second playthrough, just about to hit the Info Stockade. Some of the fights are actually challenging. Even in the second run they were a cakewalk for a while there, but Sawtooth Canyon was tough.

My kids are playing Axton and Salvador, so we have plenty of damage coming out. I'm running Maya built mostly with damage talents, but with the first leg of the Harmony tree and a Nurse class mod and a cooldown reduction relic. It hurts my damage, but provides significant healing, health regen, and lets me use my phaselock to instantly resurrect players in Fight For Your Life.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Isgrimnur wrote:Oh, and just leave the gun alone.
No Way!!!

That gun is great. (And if you are running a shock build, it really is. Just don't reload when facing a cliff...)

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I don't have the gun yet. And I resent the setback that happened when I tried to pick it up a second time.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Isgrimnur wrote:I don't have the gun yet. And I resent the setback that happened when I tried to pick it up a second time.
Oh, you have to keep going. It keeps delivering. :D

At least tell me you finished getting the crumpets!

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Not yet. I have finished the second group of them. It delivers.
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

Isgrimnur wrote:I don't have the gun yet. And I resent the setback that happened when I tried to pick it up a second time.
Which gun are you guys talking about? The slippery one?
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Bad Demographic wrote:
That is the one I'm talking about. Hopefully he is also.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yes.
Bad Demographic

TheMix wrote:
Bad Demographic wrote:
That is the one I'm talking about. Hopefully he is also.
I hated that too. But
Spoiler:
playing by myself, I found that if I entered the area not from the nearest bridge but from the farther bridge - the one with the green lizards - when I went to pick up the gun the second time some enemies would come out of the cave (down the stairs) and if I picked up the gun as they attacked I could get a kill/revive. Otherwise, of course, I simply died.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

I just started Tina's DLC...why didn't anyone tell us how amazing this was!?!? :ninja:

I just made it through the forest - so really just starting. I'm using Maya who completed TVH mode and entered this on TVH mode. Should I have tried it on UVH mode? I mean, it's not easy - those skeletons are appropriately named - but I'm not really getting enough XP to level up and the drops have been extremely underwhelming. Although right before I quite I got The Bee - which makes Maya very, very happy.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

TheMix wrote:
Oh, you have to keep going. It keeps delivering. :D

At least tell me you finished getting the crumpets!
Crumpets are crunk.

I've finished the game on normal like 15 times. Every time I meet Tiny Tina, I start singing "Runnin' runnin' runnin', I'm runnin' over here, run run run run run.

All the voice acting in the game is excellent (way better than it has any right to be, imo) and she's especially fun. But her backstory is so awful, I feel guilty/sad when I laugh at her antics.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Day to day, I'm most likely to quote "Good plan? Great plan!" Even gilraen says it sometimes.

Black Lives Matter

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

TheMix wrote:Day to day, I'm most likely to quote "Good plan? Great plan!" Even gilraen says it sometimes.
I was co-oping with my son. He didn't know what a badonkadonk was, so I told him. Every sentence from then on while we were in the bandit's base had the word badonkadonk in it. "where's the badonkadonk?" "The badonkadonk is over here" "But we need 2 badonkadonks, what have the bandits done with the badonkadonks?" "Why would they just leave the badonkadonk out in the open? Someone should really cover up this badonkadonk" "Grab the badonkadonk" "I don't think I'm supposed to touch someone else's badonkadonk"

It was fun.

Not exactly a Tiny Tina reference, but a good illustration of how fun the writing is in the game.
Bad Demographic

stessier wrote:I just started Tina's DLC...why didn't anyone tell us how amazing this was!?!? :ninja:

I just made it through the forest - so really just starting. I'm using Maya who completed TVH mode and entered this on TVH mode. Should I have tried it on UVH mode? I mean, it's not easy - those skeletons are appropriately named - but I'm not really getting enough XP to level up and the drops have been extremely underwhelming. Although right before I quite I got The Bee - which makes Maya very, very happy.
Tiny Tina's is my favorite DLC for Borderlands 2. Plus it has one of my favorite reward weaons (a shotgun from Roland) and those great grenades.
Mr. Torgue's Badass Crater of Badassitude is also really good. Torgue is hilarious, always.
Captain Scarlett's (the pirate adventure) is good and I think I liked some of the reward weapons.
I didn't like Hammerlock's all that much. The lighting is dim (yes, it's sort of under a cliff I think, therefore much of the light is blocked but I still found it visually unappealing) and it has some early sidequests from a German-like researcher/professor (not great sidequests and I didn't like the quest giver). But I did like using the "swordsplosion" from Tiny Tina's Dungeon on the giant daddy-long-legs-type critters.

Just thought I should "rate" the four main dlcs for you in case you haven't played them all.

Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I love the badonkadonk quest. Did you notice when you entered the bandit base, after Tina makes some comment about the badonkadonks, one of the bandits comes on the radio and says "What the hell's a badonkadonk?" :D

Black Lives Matter

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

TheMix wrote:I love the badonkadonk quest. Did you notice when you entered the bandit base, after Tina makes some comment about the badonkadonks, one of the bandits comes on the radio and says "What the hell's a badonkadonk?" :D
Yes, it was perfectly timed during a momentary lull in combat, while co-oping with my son, so it was crystal clear.

Felicity Sexopants.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Felicia. Felicia Sexopants.

I know, because my youngest has also been spouting that one, along with badonkadonk. And yes, Tina is the single greatest NPC since Minsc.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Blackhawk wrote:Felicia. Felicia Sexopants.

I know, because my youngest has also been spouting that one, along with badonkadonk. And yes, Tina is the single greatest NPC since Minsc.
Thanks for the correction.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Agreed.

I just fought the Kings at the side of the White Knight. I felt it was terribly unfair and lost more than half my cash trying to get through it. Maybe it is the level I am at while I attempt it, but having those Relentless Skeletons throws the whole thing completely out of whack.
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

With the skeletons we had good luck with explosive weapons. It is hard to bounce bullets back at you when they are no longer there.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
stessier

Post by stessier »

Maybe I had a wrong theory then?
Spoiler:
It seemed like the Relentless Skeletons were unbeatable. I could kill everything else, but those were drop down real low and then resurrect with full health and a higher level. I came into the match and they were Level 50 (I'm 51). After I killed the first King (this took a while), the Skeletons were Level 56. By the time I beat the 4th king, they were level 59. Roland was the only one shooting at them - I don't know what he did, but he wasn't helping. I spent most of the time finding a place to hide so I could plink a few shots at the king before one of the Skeletons closed on me. It was SUPER annoying.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Spoiler:
If they're the ones that I recall, you have to go to the corpse and pick up the sword that's stuck through them to finally kill them.

Or that's the Immortal Skeletaur...
Bad Demographic

Isgrimnur wrote:
Spoiler:
If they're the ones that I recall, you have to go to the corpse and pick up the sword that's stuck through them to finally kill them.

Or that's the Immortal Skeletaur...
Doable but not easy when playing solo.

Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

I was spoiling in case Isgrimnur hadn't gotten there yet. Since he has... :)

I think part of the problem is I never saw them die. I think maybe Roland was killing them while I focused on the king as so they kept leveling up? That would explain it. I was really close to just quitting for the day though. Fighting things 8 levels above you is not recommended.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I obviously remember less about the DLC than I thought. I've only been through it once, but nothing you're all discussing sounds at all familiar to me. That's good news! It means that I'll finally have something that feels new when I get there with the kids.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I don't understand some of the enemies. There was some Orc in the mines that starts at Level 53 and was doing something so that he was Level 57 by the time I got around to trying to take him out. I just ran out of the level - after a death of course - so he reset. He still got to Level 54 before I knew what had happened - and then he just died. I didn't do anything to him - he just died and dropped a ton of loot. It was very weird.
KDH

Post by KDH »

stessier wrote:I don't understand some of the enemies. There was some Orc in the mines that starts at Level 53 and was doing something so that he was Level 57 by the time I got around to trying to take him out. I just ran out of the level - after a death of course - so he reset. He still got to Level 54 before I knew what had happened - and then he just died. I didn't do anything to him - he just died and dropped a ton of loot. It was very weird.

spontaneous combustion?

perhaps it was a way of simulating the real-life phenomenon known as berserker rage .. I know that Orc in the camp at the end of the "Forest" (the "Duke of Orc") does some kind of red-flash rage .. I've never noticed whether he changes levels .. he does seem to alternate names, possibly "Commander Grug" or something similar
Ain't nobody got time for that
stessier

Post by stessier »

KDH wrote:
stessier wrote:I don't understand some of the enemies. There was some Orc in the mines that starts at Level 53 and was doing something so that he was Level 57 by the time I got around to trying to take him out. I just ran out of the level - after a death of course - so he reset. He still got to Level 54 before I knew what had happened - and then he just died. I didn't do anything to him - he just died and dropped a ton of loot. It was very weird.

spontaneous combustion?

perhaps it was a way of simulating the real-life phenomenon known as berserker rage .. I know that Orc in the camp at the end of the "Forest" (the "Duke of Orc") does some kind of red-flash rage .. I've never noticed whether he changes levels .. he does seem to alternate names, possibly "Commander Grug" or something similar
Yeah, the name changes with his level. Level 55 or maybe 56 was Duke of Orc.

As for his death, I ran to a corner and was hiding. I turned around and he just dropped dead. Maya's breath isn't that bad.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Ha I ended up kiting both of those guys. Run them around in a circle, slag them then hit them with another element/grenade/launcher, then run before they curbstomp me. Took a while with one of the guys leveling up 4 levels above me.
There is no hug button. Sad!
stessier

Post by stessier »

Got the Sword Splosion - very cool. Also finally caught the Slippery Gun - and then used it until the clip was empty. Can't imagine that will become annoying.