Spotify

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LordMortis

Re: Spotify

Post by LordMortis »

That's creepy. I am being followed by someone (a promoter I follow so I can see what music they are promoting for bands coming to town... and I like their taste) on Spotify. I don't remember every telling Spotify I want followers.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Forgotify
The idea first came to Lane Jordan when he heard an odd little fact: Around 20 percent of tracks on Spotify—some four million songs—had been played exactly zero times.

Four million songs! That got Jordan thinking. What were those songs? And don't they, too, deserve a little listening?

Jordan brought the idea to his friend, J Hausmann, and together, along with the help of a third friend (Nate Gagnon), they built Forgotify, a discovery engine for Spotify's unplayed tracks.

Forgotify is built upon a database that the trio created to crawl Spotify's API for pieces with a play count of zero. Once a song has been played, it disappears from the site, rendering it oddly reminiscent of an old, archival audio cassette which, once played, may never play again. Playing it destroys it. (Except, of course, in the case of Forgotify, the songs still live on in Spotify proper.)
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I start a station based on Oingo Boingo, and the first track you give me is "Take my Breath Away"? I think your logic engine needs work.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Why am I tempted to start streaming Forgetify while my computer is muted?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Spotify vs. Apple
Spotify has been retaliating against musicians who introduce new material exclusively on rival Apple Music by making their songs harder to find, according to people familiar with the strategy. Artists who have given Apple exclusive access to new music have been told they won’t be able to get their tracks on featured playlists once the songs become available on Spotify, said the people, who declined to be identified discussing the steps. Those artists have also found their songs buried in the search rankings of Spotify, the world’s largest music-streaming service, the people said. Spotify said it doesn’t alter search rankings.

Spotify has been using such practices for about a year, one of the people said, though others said the efforts have escalated over the past few months. Artists who have given exclusives to Tidal, the streaming service run by Jay Z, have also been retaliated against, the person said, declining to identify specific musicians.
The dustup over exclusives comes at a critical time for Spotify, which is in the midst of renegotiating licensing contracts with the world’s biggest record labels. The company is aiming to hold an initial public offering by the end of next year, but needs more favorable long-term agreements with the labels to attract a higher valuation from investors, according to a person familiar with the plans. The company isn’t profitable despite generating more than $2 billion in revenue, in part because it has to give 55 percent of the money to labels and an additional cut to publishers.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Spotify is writing massive amounts of junk data to storage drives
For almost five months—possibly longer—the Spotify music streaming app has been assaulting users' storage devices with enough data to potentially take years off their expected lifespans. Reports of tens or in some cases hundreds of gigabytes being written in an hour aren't uncommon, and occasionally the recorded amounts are measured in terabytes. The overload happens even when Spotify is idle and isn't storing any songs locally.

The behavior poses an unnecessary burden on users' storage devices, particularly solid state drives, which come with a finite amount of write capacity. Continuously writing hundreds of gigabytes of needless data to a drive every day for months or years on end has the potential to cause an SSD to die years earlier than it otherwise would. And yet, Spotify apps for Windows, Mac, and Linux have engaged in this data assault since at least the middle of June, when multiple users reported the problem in the company's official support forum.

"This is a *major* bug that currently affects thousands of users," Spotify user Paul Miller told Ars. "If for example, Castrol Oil lowered your engine's life expectancy by five to 10 years, I imagine most users would want to know, and that fact *should* be reported on."

Three Ars reporters who ran Spotify on Macs and PCs had no trouble reproducing the problem reported, not only in the above-mentioned Spotify forum but also on Reddit, Hacker News, and elsewhere. Typically, the app wrote from 5 to 10 GB of data in less than an hour on Ars reporters' machines, even when the app was idle. Leaving Spotify running for periods longer than a day resulted in amounts as high as 700 GB.
[...]
Update: After this story was published, a Spotify spokesperson told Ars:
We've seen some questions in our community around the amount of written data using the Spotify client on desktop. These have been reviewed and any potential concerns have now been addressed in version 1.0.42, currently rolling out to all users.
The update still is not available for either of the Mac or Windows machines this reporter uses. Spotify officials said version 1.0.42 will be available to all users within the next few days. Once the update is available, the Spotify will install it automatically the next time users start the app. If Spotify remains open throughout, users will receive a blue banner asking them to restart the client to install the latest update.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

The behavior poses an unnecessary burden on users' storage devices, particularly solid state drives, which come with a finite amount of write capacity.
:whistle:
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The Meal wrote:
The behavior poses an unnecessary burden on users' storage devices, particularly solid state drives, which come with a finite amount of write capacity.
:whistle:
Is SSD endurance not an actual issue? If the app is writing 100G an hour, as the article claims has been happening in some cases, then that would be 2.4T per day. My 256G Samsung 850 Pro is covered by warranty for 10 years or 150TBW, so in that case Spotify would push me out of warranty in a little over 2 months. Granted, I have no idea whether the drive would actually begin to fail at that point, but given that normal usage for me has been about 5T/year so far, I'd probably be a little annoyed if that happened.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
stessier

Post by stessier »

I think The Meal is still in the business of making spiny drives for which there is no set limit. :)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
The Meal

spinny

Post by The Meal »

Enlarge Image

~*~*~

And yes, I'm a buggy-whip engineer.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Ah, OK, I thought you were poo-pooing that point. :)

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Is Spotify down for anyone else? It tries to load then just goes to a blank screen.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

Working for me at the time of this post.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

A reboot did the trick. It's my shitty internet connection.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

[/lurk]

Ten years late to the party I finally signed up for Spotify. Is it over? Did I miss it?

As a music subscription service it beats the pants off Amazon Music, but I was expecting more social networking - last.fm did that better ten years ago

Anyways, if anyone is still doing the following thing, this is me.

[lurk]
Books I finished in: 2022 | 2021 | 2020

Scrobbling at last.fm
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Following. I have a very, shall we say, eclectic taste in music. For the most part favoring deep cuts and B sides. But the first song on your 24/7 playlist made my 300. Good times.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:42 pm the first song on your 24/7 playlist made my 300
It's very much a work-in-progress - my equivalent list on Amazon Music had around 6,000 tracks. This one is currently at 2,975

And 'eclectic' is a nicer word than I usually have levelled at my musical choices :)
Books I finished in: 2022 | 2021 | 2020

Scrobbling at last.fm
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I have been enjoying freelunch's playlist. If anyone is interested here is my Top 300. Probably not everybody's cuppa, but this is the stuff I enjoy.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Added you guys where possible.

My Spotify profile.
My Last.fm profile.

Evolving "everything" playlist. (Mostly various rock genres but a little of everything not too weird extreme.)
Metal playlist. (From heavy to very extreme.)
Industrial/Electro playlist. (Stuff that sad and angry people dance to.)

All are NSFW and just a huge assortment of my favourite songs as I delve through my larger "Liked" playlists and as I go through the catalogues of my favourite artists. Just in case anyone is interested. Can get pretty weird/extreme/experimental in places, but the majority is poppy stuff in their respective genes. I want to do longer ones for classical/film scores and jazz but haven't gotten around to it.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg