Spotify

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

telcta

Spotify

Post by telcta »

So, Spotify is finally available in the US. I think some OO'ers have access to it and I'm wondering how its working out. They mention you can get every song but some, like the Beatles, are unavailable. I do like the idea of just searching around looking for music to try but the website as it is now doesn't allow you to see what's out there until you sign up (which there currently is a waiting list for the free version).

Spotify sounds like Pandora but you get to pick the songs, is that basically it? If it has the ability to create genre music for you like Pandora, that would great.
TiLT

Re: Spotify

Post by TiLT »

I've been using Spotify for a good while now, probably for around 2 years or so. It's essentially a replacement for most of your MP3 collection. It lets you stream from a large music library legally, for a low price. It's not like Pandora, but you can do searches with it for specific genres, and there are random playlists. Spotify works so well that almost the entire computer-literate population in Norway (me included) uses it daily.
Insert witty comment here.
Mookee

Post by Mookee »

Wow. This is awesome so far. If I get the ability to invite people I will.

Seems light years ahead of Amazon, Google Music, and what I think iCloud will be.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

It's really good but their selection leaves a lot to be desired. Just did a "spot" check on a few really mainstream bands like Red Hot Chili Peppers and Radiohead and they were missing major albums. It's a slick interface though and there's plenty to listen to as it is. I'm sure I'll use it a great deal. Just don't go in expecting it to have an iTunes or even Amazon-sized library.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Rhapsody doesn't have RHCP either, so that might not be a good gauge.

Ale
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

also see: Grooveshark
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

YellowKing wrote:It's really good but their selection leaves a lot to be desired. Just did a "spot" check on a few really mainstream bands like Red Hot Chili Peppers and Radiohead and they were missing major albums. It's a slick interface though and there's plenty to listen to as it is. I'm sure I'll use it a great deal. Just don't go in expecting it to have an iTunes or even Amazon-sized library.
Spotify actually has Red Hot Chili Peppers (I find 6 albums and 2 singles in my search), but they probably haven't gotten the rights to stream it in the US yet. These things tend to change quickly on Spotify, and can go both ways. I've had bands I've been looking for appear overnight, and bands I've been listening to for a while disappear suddenly. They do their best to keep the service well stocked, but the bands and the publishers have the final say for each region.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Neat, but hardly a replacement for anyone's mp3 collection.
"It's my manner, sir. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really."
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The "spotty" collection (which really isn't that bad) shouldn't turn anyone off from using it. There's still plenty to listen to. I really enjoyed using it last night to stream a few albums I had never gotten around to purchasing. It's also REALLY quick to catalog your MP3 library - I was pretty impressed with that.

I'm not quite sure I'd be willing to pay for it yet, but for free I'm definitely a fan.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

hitbyambulance wrote:also see: Grooveshark

Grooveshark is nice in that you can listen to whole albums of bands and it seems to have a fairly large library. But man, it's interface blows.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'd love to give it a try for free. And check out grooveshark as well. Looking forward to checking this out.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Yuck.

telcta

Post by telcta »

I got an invite for the free version and got to play around with it a bit. The UI is nice and easy to navigate and the search is really quick. I liked how it integrated your own music into the search results and you can easily tell which songs/albums you don't have.

Some songs are grouped together when they appear on different albums or mixes, that's a nice touch. I had good results for the bands I looked for, especially some foreign bands where the import prices are high. My only hiccup was I wanted to play the music from Deadwood. They had the album but half the songs were disabled with a message that the particular track was asked to be removed by the label/artist. I'll stick with the free version for the time being while I learn how the premium subscriptions will work with my phone. There are offline options, higher bitrate (320kbps), share playlists…

When I have invites available I'll pass them along to anyone who's interested. Right now the Create Invite button doesn't work for me so I'm not sure how I can generate one.

Interesting graphic triggercut, I wondered how revenue was split between the different distribution methods. I'm surprised Grooveshark isn't on there, some places I've read mentioned they pay nothing to the artist/labels, or they have no distribution rights?
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

I have 30+ invitations I can send out, so if anyone wants one, just send me a PM with your email address. :)
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

telcta wrote: Interesting graphic triggercut, I wondered how revenue was split between the different distribution methods. I'm surprised Grooveshark isn't on there, some places I've read mentioned they pay nothing to the artist/labels, or they have no distribution rights?
Grooveshark is a mess and the crosshairs are large on them. They've managed to not only piss off major labels, but also indies and artists as well.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Just a quick update for anyone who wants invites: I'll be gone for a week, starting tonight (European time). Any PMs sent after tonight aren't likely to be read until I'm back.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

triggercut wrote:Yuck.

Thats very misleading considering youre comparing what amounts to internet radio to actual physical copy and download sales. Was that chart sponsored by Amazon or ITunes?
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Some artists have publicly come out in support of Spotify. I agree it's a shame that artists aren't getting a larger cut compared to other revenue streams, but at least they're getting something. If this can pull some of the pirates away from downloading for free and into streaming their music legally, then it's a net win.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

YellowKing wrote:Some artists have publicly come out in support of Spotify. I agree it's a shame that artists aren't getting a larger cut compared to other revenue streams, but at least they're getting something. If this can pull some of the pirates away from downloading for free and into streaming their music legally, then it's a net win.
I'd imagine exposure is nice for some artists. I can't imagine artists that don't care about exposure care at all. But then, I'm I listen around as much as a I reasonably can. When I find a song that catches my attention I tend to be rather shady about finding more music from the artist. If I like what I find, I tend to keep it until the artist plays a show. At the show I tend to buy CDs and a shirt if they reasonably priced. The shows I see are all small enough that the artists are always at the swag table (or merch table as they seem to call it now. For some reason I hate the sound of that. I don't know why). They always take a few a seconds to gab and none of them ever seem to care how I found their music and are surprised that I'm replacing my bootlegs with CDs. I like CDs a memory point for the show. They're like photographs for me. The CD reminds me of meeting the artist which reminds of the evening I had. I think I'm in a tiny minority but it's what I do and what I will continue to do. Without becoming acquainted with an artist first, I'll never know if I'm going to enjoy them. I just don't have it in me to go out and buy five or ten CDs on a lark any more and hope that I enjoy them.

As a point of reference, I probably own about eight or nine hundred CDs (and that discounts neglected albums sitting in the corner and long since lost tapes), I don't know many tshirts have come and gone over the ages, and I probably see thirty to fifty shows a year (though this year is proving to be a major exception. :( band just aren't coming to Detroit anymore and when they do it's on inconvenient weeknights.)
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

When anything cool is available in Canada, someone please PM me. :roll:

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

TiLT wrote:
YellowKing wrote:It's really good but their selection leaves a lot to be desired. Just did a "spot" check on a few really mainstream bands like Red Hot Chili Peppers and Radiohead and they were missing major albums. It's a slick interface though and there's plenty to listen to as it is. I'm sure I'll use it a great deal. Just don't go in expecting it to have an iTunes or even Amazon-sized library.
Spotify actually has Red Hot Chili Peppers (I find 6 albums and 2 singles in my search), but they probably haven't gotten the rights to stream it in the US yet. These things tend to change quickly on Spotify, and can go both ways. I've had bands I've been looking for appear overnight, and bands I've been listening to for a while disappear suddenly. They do their best to keep the service well stocked, but the bands and the publishers have the final say for each region.
So it's basically the music equivalent of Netflix streaming? Now you see it, now you don't?
Mookee

Post by Mookee »

Here is a code if someone wants it:

<code taken>

Just please post if you use it so others know it's taken.
Last edited by Mookee on Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Mookee wrote:Here is a code if someone wants it:

eCbqDEek5eeS49CL

Just please post if you use it so others know it's taken.

Used - thanks
stessier

Post by stessier »

If anyone is looking for an invitation, Coke has your back.
Good old Coca-Cola is offering free Spotify invitations to anyone willing to supply an e-mail address.

And I like the company's little privacy disclaimer:
"As much as Coke loves to share, we will NOT be giving your information to any third parties. Only Spotify and Coke will have this information. Seriously. This stays between us."

Fair enough. I entered my e-mail address and received my invite less than 30 minutes later. Your mileage may vary, of course, but this looks to be about the fastest way yet to hop on the Spotify bandwagon.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

I'm back from vacation now, so invites will be sent out much quicker after anyone PMs me. Don't be shy. I've still got 27 invites left. :)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Still haven't checked in. I need to. I just too easily distracted and don't tend to enjoy sitting in front of a computer at home any more. :(
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

I just signed up for Spotify and I'm really impressed. I had to go with a premium account so I could play it through my Sonos system but so far it seems totally worth it. Go cloud!
Scoop20906

Spotify

Post by Scoop20906 »

In premium, can the iphone app play music offline or is it all streaming?

If it us still streaming, what's the performance like with AT&T?
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
telcta

Post by telcta »

You can play music offline and sync tracks on up to three computers or mobile phones at the same time. There's a limit of 3,333 tracks. You can force an offline mode so it disconnects from Spotify entirely but I think you have to reconnect at some point within 30 days to continue to play any tracks off-line.

I'm still listening to the free version and have been listening more at work and using Shazam to identify a song on TV then finding it on Spotify. It's opening me up to music I wouldn't otherwise try. I'm thinking about the $5/month level next but any mobile access requires the premium version.
Scoop20906

Spotify

Post by Scoop20906 »

Thanks Telcta. I might try the premuim account and share it with my wife. That way I can listen to music my wife likes since she has great musical taste.

rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

I was sitting around this morning with the Spotify app on my iPad and a Mojo magazine open to the Reviews section. When an album review sounded interesting, I just typed in the artist name, tapped an album, and I was instantly listening to the artists I was reading about. Entire albums. Throughout the house. I was sitting on the toilet.

8-) 8-) :coffee: 8-) 8-)

I just installed the Spotify app on my iPod and for the last hour I've been walking around the house with a Tower Records in my pocket. So my early review of Spotify = TOTAL GODSEND.

:horse:
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

Anyone have an extra invite? :)
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

godhugh wrote:Anyone have an extra invite? :)
As mentioned above, just send me a PM with your email address. I'm swimming in invites.
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

Thanks TiLT!

All signed up and listening to the new Decemberists album while studying. I kinda like this service.
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Currently listening to the new Moby album. One late night I'm going to start listening to a single song and see how far the rabbit hole it will take me by clicking for recommendations based on the song and so on. It would be interesting (to me) to see what musical tree will be created from the one song. What a fun way to discover music again!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Hey, I'm really having fun with Spotify too. If anyone wants to post a song or artist that like you can post it here.

Right now I am going back through some old Manowar albums.

telcta

Post by telcta »

$iljanus wrote:Currently listening to the new Moby album. One late night I'm going to start listening to a single song and see how far the rabbit hole it will take me by clicking for recommendations based on the song and so on. It would be interesting (to me) to see what musical tree will be created from the one song. What a fun way to discover music again!
I like this idea. I can't seem to find a way to view a recommendation based on a song I currently have playing tho. Maybe it's because I'm still on the free version.

I'm looking at my one playlist that I've been adding songs to, so far I've been enjoying Hawkwind, PJ Harvey (which I'm really digging), The Charlatans, Dead Can Dance, My Morning Jacket. Oh, and I found the Gypsy King's Hotel California.
ska5fe

Post by ska5fe »

I love Spotify, but I'm often paralyzed by the number of choices. I can't pick one artist to listen to, because I want to listen to them all! It is pretty great for checking out bands others recommend to you, though. I like the Facebook integration as well.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Just got in thanks to my brother.

So far it's neat but I think it's only going to be useful when I'm seeking out specific new music.

If I want to listen to my music it's all in Google Music already.

If I want to find new music similar to music I like I've got Pandora.

Is there a Pandora-like "let me listen to a series of music I might like" setting? I can find "related bands" by starting with a band I like but it seems more limited than Pandora's playlists.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Exodor wrote:

Is there a Pandora-like "let me listen to a series of music I might like" setting? I can find "related bands" by starting with a band I like but it seems more limited than Pandora's playlists.
I think the only option is the "Artist Radio" function. Is that what you used to listen to "related bands", Exodor? I haven't played around with it yet.

(for those who don't know, click on an artist and when you get to the artist's biography page there's a "Artist Radio" tab that will show you music "related" to the artist. Hit play and you'll get a random sampling of songs supposedly along the same lines as the artist you were looking at.)
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?