Good news, everyone! Netflix jacking prices again!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Odin

Re: Good news, everyone! Netflix jacking prices again!

Post by Odin »

Talked to the wife tonight and she confirmed that we ought to ditch netflix. I cleaned out my queue of everything that I didn't really really want to watch, and I'll make a point of watching that stuff over the next couple of weeks. By the end of January, it's gone. I never did feel really satisfied with Instantwatch. It may not be fair to expect it all for a low price, but I don't have to be fair. I'm a consumer.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Tons of Netflix news.
Netflix shares were last up $20.82 to $115.90 — the highest level for the stock since the company’s last earnings report in October. The shares are still well below their $300 level from the summer of 2011, before a series of controversial moves sent investors fleeing.

Late Wednesday, the company reported a quarterly profit of $41 million, or 73 cents a share, on revenue of $876 million. During the same period a year ago, Netflix earned $47 million, or 87 cents a share, on revenue of $596 million.

The results topped the estimates of analysts surveyed by FactSet Research, who forecast Netflix to earn 54 cents a share on revenue of $857.3 million.

Netflix also said it added 610,000 total subscribers, giving it 24.4 million total subscribers at the end of 2011. The addition helped the company end a skid in which it recorded subscriber declines as customers defected following several unpopular moves that included splitting its DVD and video-streaming rental plans in two and effectively raises prices by as much as 60%.

But Mark Mahaney, of Citigroup, said Netflix seems to showing signs of recovering from last year’s debacles, which also shaved more than 77% off of the company’s stock price between July and December of last year.
Other things revealed in the conference call:

Expansion plans are drastically cut.
Game rental plans are dead.
Amazon is positioning to offer a similar streaming service.
Reruns are fine, new TV shows kill the price model.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Odin

Post by Odin »

I'm still out in about a week.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Odin wrote:I'm still out in about a week.
Your call, obviously.

I think what they're seeing is a lot of punitive cancellations resubbing.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:I recently read an article that there are lower priced plans that are ESPN-less, but they never advertised because companies hate selling them. I'll try to remember to run it down, but I'm still in post code cut madness.
Found it:
To stanch the bleeding, some cable companies have begun to quietly offer stripped-down plans to retain viewers. They frequently go unadvertised in many regions and customers might have to hunt for them on providers' websites to find out exactly what to ask for.

Comcast, for example, has a "digital economy" tier that sells for between $29.99 and $39.99, depending on the area. The next tier up in service Comcast offers, which includes ESPN, often sells for around $58 a month.

The digital economy tier includes local broadcast channels, as well as popular cable channels, such as USA, Lifetime, but no ESPN. The company says it will work with customers to find a package to fit their needs.

Time Warner Cable late last year introduced a "TV Essentials" package in the same vein. It can cost as much as $49.99 but the company also offers promotional rates as low as $29.99 a month. It includes broadcast channels as well as 38 additional channels, but not ESPN.
Some cable operators and DirecTV also offer a family packages, which usually cost $30 to $40, and give households all the broadcast channels as well limited cable channels such as the Disney Channel and Food Network.
Other subscribers are dumping bulky packages of 190 channels or more in favor of the most basic service—often known as the "Lifeline" tier in the industry. These usually include public broadcast stations and the handful of over-the-air channels, and usually cost $13 to $16, compared to the $40 to $60 it usually costs to get the more widely-distributed level of digital cable service, which includes ESPN, MTV, TNT and other basic cable channels.
This is similar to what I do. There is one level below what I get. I get 63 channels, I think. The next level down loses the whole point of cable though. I lose Comedy Central, TNT, USA, AMC, etc... I basically get network television and crap at the next level down but that next level down would take me from a combined $60 a month for Internet and Cable back down to around a combined $40 a month.

I'm still annoyed my prices went up rather than down after they forced me to move from an analog to digital signal. They use less energy and less bandwidth and put me on a generic plan to give me a less reliable and crappier signal and I have to pay more for the privilege. If their deal weren't already the best deal in town, I'd be up in arms.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis wrote:I'm still annoyed my prices went up rather than down after they forced me to move from an analog to digital signal. They use less energy and less bandwidth and put me on a generic plan to give me a less reliable and crappier signal and I have to pay more for the privilege. If their deal weren't already the best deal in town, I'd be up in arms.
That's so cute that you think cost-savings on the part of your cable provider ever had any chance whatsoever of being passed on to you.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Best part of this whole Netflix circus? This is the longest-running thread I've ever started. Thanks, Netflix! :D
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Has anyone else noticed that they seem to be running short on disks lately? Probably one in three items I put at the top of my queue ends up getting a 'long wait' label, and I've gotten items as far as four down on my list several times now. I've been with Netflix for several years, and I've never seen it like this.

I'm not just getting current-release stuff, or shows that are getting a sequel, either. I'm talking about ten year old, three-star films.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
wire

Post by wire »

Blackhawk wrote:Has anyone else noticed that they seem to be running short on disks lately? Probably one in three items I put at the top of my queue ends up getting a 'long wait' label, and I've gotten items as far as four down on my list several times now. I've been with Netflix for several years, and I've never seen it like this.

I'm not just getting current-release stuff, or shows that are getting a sequel, either. I'm talking about ten year old, three-star films.
Haven't had any issues. In fact there has been a time or two where the disk sitting at #1 wasn't available at my local distribution center so they sent #2 and had #1 sent from another location so I had 4 disks instead of 3.
Teggy

Post by Teggy »

I've been having some issues with streaming quality lately. Even with 40-50mbps download I am having a hard time getting HD.
MightyDestro

Post by MightyDestro »

Teggy wrote:I've been having some issues with streaming quality lately. Even with 40-50mbps download I am having a hard time getting HD.
I've been having similar issues. At first I thought it was my ISP but it turns out that I only have problems when streaming via my Xbox. My WD TV Live and PCs don't have any issues. It makes me wonder if the stream is routed differently on the Xbox.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

wire wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:Has anyone else noticed that they seem to be running short on disks lately? Probably one in three items I put at the top of my queue ends up getting a 'long wait' label, and I've gotten items as far as four down on my list several times now. I've been with Netflix for several years, and I've never seen it like this.

Haven't had any issues. In fact there has been a time or two where the disk sitting at #1 wasn't available at my local distribution center so they sent #2 and had #1 sent from another location so I had 4 disks instead of 3.
Same experience here. I have noticed more disks with "short wait" or "very long wait", but netflix often compensates by sending me a 4th disk.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Has the situation in Canada improved at all? Just curious as I never signed up for it. The last time you were talking about it was in 2011. With Amazon Digital Services having finally come to Canada, streaming might not be too far behind, which might wake Netflix up. Competition would be a good thing.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
mori

Post by mori »

No issue here. Of the 90 discs I have in queue, I think 3 have a wait, and they are all very recent releases.
nasai

Post by nasai »

Maybe there's nothing else to do in Indiana?
Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

I'm in Indiana and I don't have any issues with getting discs.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

My distribution center is in Little Rock and I have 25-30% long to very long to you-have to be-kidding-right? waits.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

nasai wrote:

Maybe there's nothing else to do in Indiana?
Hey - we have corn. And a cow.
nasai

Post by nasai »

You clearly win.
Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Wow. I just logged in to check my instant queue. I have 64 mixed documentaries on there, and 37 of them are now listed as expiring on July the 1st.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Aw, just saw that Stargate Universe is going away on July 1. Damn it, I totally meant to watch that.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Streaming tiers:
Netflix is testing new price plans for streaming video as it tries to lure more viewers.

Among the plans being tested are a $6.99-a-month plan that allows only one video stream to be watched at once, and a $9.99-a-month plan that allows three streams at one time, whether on a TV, tablet or computer.

A Netflix spokesman says not everyone will see the test prices and they may never roll out to all customers.

Netflix's standard $7.99-a-month plan allows users to watch video on up to 2 screens at once, including TVs and mobile devices. An $11.99-a-month service allows up to four shows at once. Netflix announced that plan in April.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Meh. When streaming was part of their rental service, I averaged no streams at a time. As far as I can tell, the movies I watch still aren't on streaming so I''ll continue renting the DVDs.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I never would have guessed you were in the same Netflix demographic as my 64 year old MIL.

I keep meaning to cancel my 2-TV streaming Netflix service, but it's barely noticeable for what we potentially have access to at any given time - even when you include the "free" Amazon Prime streaming. For $6.99? I'd probably be a customer for life.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
PLW

Post by PLW »

With two kids under 6, there is no way I would ever want to be restricted to one stream.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Smoove_B wrote:I never would have guessed you were in the same Netflix demographic as my 64 year old MIL.
She's a big fan of foreign movies too?
Black Lives Matter
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Normally I would have said I'd be fine with the single stream option. However, my wife and her mom recently got really into watching Merlin on there, which I think is pretty blah, so I streamed a different movie on the Wii U gamepad. It's one of those things that's only useful once in a while, but I'd still pay an extra two bucks a month to have the option.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The kicker here is that it's not just a single stream, but no HD. No thanks.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Might want to review what's getting pulled from Streaming this week as well.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Zaxxon wrote:The kicker here is that it's not just a single stream, but no HD. No thanks.
Ah - that kills it for me also.

Too bad my Blockbuster grandfathered in price of $5/month to rent any game or movie is gone Jan 1. That was a sweet, sweet complement to Netflix's streaming only option.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Isgrimnur wrote:Might want to review what's getting pulled from Streaming this week as well.
Nooooo, not Transformers: Dark Side of the Moon! What happens to Shia LeBouief's character???

The double-streaming's not an issue - I'd rather save the couple bucks a month, seeing as how I didn't even know I could do that. The lack of HD would annoy me though, so not sure how that would wash out. But in general I'm probably going to wind up canceling Netflix, as I rarely seem to watch it vs. stuff on Hulu Plus and stuff from my TV / movie backlog.

Do need to finish Season 8 of Weeds and Skyfall before I cancel though.
Black Lives Matter.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Isgrimnur wrote:Might want to review what's getting pulled from Streaming this week as well.
Last call for Troll II!
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I didn't see (still don't?) where it said no HD for the cheaper plan. If that's the thing, then yeah, I'm willing to go to $10/month for HD.

I'll have to try and watch Immortals before it expires. Troll 2 is sad, but since Best Worst Movie is still on there, I'm covered.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Ah, okay. They didn't mention that in the originally-linked article. Which seems like a pretty major oversight on the article's part.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Agreed. Thanks for clearing it up.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Chaz wrote:Ah, okay. They didn't mention that in the originally-linked article. Which seems like a pretty major oversight on the article's part.
I thought so, too. Way to bury the lede.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

None of those being pulled really makes a huge difference to me. Besides, Netflix is constantly rotating shows in and out of their instant watch list.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

You made it sound like they are getting rid of their existing plan tiers. Which is not the case, the $7.99 plan with 2-stream and HD allowance isn't going anywhere. If 2 streams isn't enough for you and 4 streams is too many, it's still not guaranteed that you'll even be offered the 3-stream $9.99 plan (since they specifically mention that it's basically being tested among a select subset of their customers).
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo is expiring and you guys are joking about Troll movies!?