LA Noire

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

naednek

Re: LA Noire

Post by naednek »

J.D. wrote:I am f*cking terrible at questioning. I'm probably averaging about 60% right now. I'm trying not to let it bother me and just go with the story as intended. But I WILL be going back and replaying these cases again to get them right.

I'm on my third traffic case. I three-starred the first one (but four-starred it on a replay) and three starred the second case. I understand why I did poorly on the first case (butchered the interview with the wife), but can't understand what I did wrong on the second case.

Spoiler for 2nd traffic case, the hit and run.
Spoiler:
The Case Notes said I should have gone back to the bar to see what the perp was "willing to do to avoid arrest". The bar was crossed out on my location list after I finished my questioning and evidence gathering so I had no idea I could go back, nor did I think it was necessary. Also, ended up shooting the guy dead when he took the hostage. I tried the chase sequence three times and it seems it's designed so that you can never get a warning shot off due to cars driving by or him JUST turning a corner at the last minute. It felt wrong to kill him but I wasn't able to find another way.
Loving this game so far. Only three traffic cases in and I've played for about 5-6 hours already and only done 3 side missions. Lots of content here.
Spoiler:
weird it took me about 6 seconds of chasing him and firing a warning shot, you just got to time it with a clear line of sight. You don't have to be very close to the person to do it.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I am really having a hard time with this game and it's not drawing me in as a result, particularly the questioning. I guess I just don't think like a police officer. It also feels very...disjointed. I don't know if this is truly "Noire" style and if that's part of the problem, but I find the pace to be fast and the flashbacks (and flash sideways Newspaper stories) ineffective. That being said, I do appreciate the encapsulated nature of the stories so far - it makes it easy to sit for an hour, play and then turn it off. But I'm not really drawn to the main character as much as I was to John Marston. For RDR, he was the driving force. It feels like for LA Noire, I'm supposed to hold the new mechanics and the stories themselves as the most important. Since they're short (and seemingly unrelated), I'm finding it hard to maintain a momentum.

Don't get me wrong, it's still an amazing game and it should be recognized for the new things it brings to game play. But I don't feel a connection to it like I did with Red Dead Redemption.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

My game (finally!) arrived yesterday, and I spent 30 minutes toying around with it. (just playing a little bit in the first mission). I still don't have sound (my headset still hasnt arrived. sigh) A few comments:

1. It doesn't look as good as Mafia II, although I'm playing it on a smaller resolution monitor.
2. Im still getting used to the controller, and it feels awkward. Give me a keyboard and mouse :-/
3. Artistically, Saboteur seemed more noirish with it's black and white coloring, although the world does look nice and 40s :)
4. While it's not unheard of, most noir films I can remember were more man against the world or private eye type stuff. This seems more like a police sim/police quest meets Mafia in the 1940s. While I'm bound to enjoy it tons, it's a little surprising.
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

I f*cking suck at questioning. Still. Like really, really bad.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Defiant wrote: 3. Artistically, Saboteur seemed more noirish with it's black and white coloring, although the world does look nice and 40s :)
Try turning on the black & white option in the menu. ;)
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Tom Chick posted his review and I completely agree with everything he said. He even mentioned that the technology was a breakthrough. Every point I agree with save one. The thing I disagree with is the 5 rating. Given all of his comments about the game it comes out as a 9 for me. Does my addition need work?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

He nailed it in the first sentence:
The central mystery of LA Noire is this: am I playing a bloated adventure game or a barren open-world game?
I have resorted to holding "Y" to have my partner drive to each investigation. There's simply no reason for me to attempt the journey myself. As opposed to RDR, I frequently rode my horse to locations and only used fast travel when I needed to move between major story locations. For all intent and purpose, the "open world" of LA Noire (at least for me so far) doesn't need to exist.

Normally I think he's contrary for the sake of being contrary, but in this case he's spot-on.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

In GTA-4 I drove around town and listened to the radio. I pretty much just do the same in this game, I just drive for the scenery. There really isn't anything else unless you respond to the police calls.

The only other thing I wanted to mention was that I am enjoying playing an adventure game. That's something I haven't seen for many years. An adventure game.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Smoove_B wrote:He nailed it in the first sentence:
The central mystery of LA Noire is this: am I playing a bloated adventure game or a barren open-world game?
I have resorted to holding "Y" to have my partner drive to each investigation. There's simply no reason for me to attempt the journey myself. As opposed to RDR, I frequently rode my horse to locations and only used fast travel when I needed to move between major story locations. For all intent and purpose, the "open world" of LA Noire (at least for me so far) doesn't need to exist.

Normally I think he's contrary for the sake of being contrary, but in this case he's spot-on.
Ding! I'm not sure why this is set up like GTA in terms of open world, it just doesn't make any sense. Now if they incorporated elments of GTA then yes, but the game is on rails, and makes no sense to have that kinda of freedom where that freedom really has no impact.

I'm liking the game, but it's tedious, too simplified, and too confined. At least it doesn't have controller gestures like Heavy Rain, another game that fell flat.
Octavious

LA Noire

Post by Octavious »

Stopped by blockbuster on the way home and they actually had a copy to rent! Now I just have t beat the game by Wednesday. :) Played for about two hours sof far and I really like it. I adored Heavy Rain so the fact that it's very confined works fine for me. The side missions are a bit odd but the first two I did were quick and pretty fun... Got past my first case answering nine of twelve questions right... Not bad... :)
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Doomboy

Post by Doomboy »

I think it is a great game. There are weird gamey things that keep pulling me out of the world though. There are also some budget decisions that I question. In the first three cases I saw the same couple of people over and over and over again. Why? With the huge cast they have credited, they could have strung those folks out over the whole game, and it wouldn't have been obvious.

The shooting is not good. A .45 should put a guy down if I hit him in the chest or neck. The only insta kills are headshots. It makes no sense for a guy to be holding a hostage, I shoot him but only hit is chest with my .45 (right at the base of his neck no less), and then he has time to say "Ow!" and then plug the hostage.

There are a few collectible things to get in the world map. But the cars are not a draw, since to get that particular car again, you have to go find it. Why not just have an option in the menu to get a car like you can change your suit?

The AI drivers drive me batty. But I guess I should be used to it by now. Every GTA game has had the same problem. Drivers who don't know how to follow the rules. I don't know how many times over the last ten years I have been smashed into by a guy turning across traffic when I have the right of way. In GTA that usually earns them a death. In this game I can't even arrest them for smashing into a cop car. Doubly annoying.

As for the questioning, it is pretty simple. But there are several actors I have trouble reading. I guess I will spoiler it for people who don't want to know the trick.
Spoiler:
Watch their eyes. If they keep looking away, they are trying to hide something. If what they say before doing that is contradicted by evidence you have collected, it is a good idea to use the "lie" choice. If you don't have any evidence, "doubt" is usually the right choice. Sometimes they like to throw in an odd "truth" when the suspect is doing their shifty looking. Since you can only store up 5 intuition points, if you can't decide, use one. In real life, the whole shifty eyes thing is probably bullshit (I hate making eye contact with people while chatting with them, and I am not lying or covering something up). But it is gospel in this game. Mostly.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

I tried posting this at QT3 but it won't let me post links.

I don't know of anything similar in game, but if you link your account at the rockstar social club then you can see every question you got wrong and every one you got right. Every clue you found for every case that you have completed, at the link below.

it even has a list of every question that you failed to ask.

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/gam ... acker.html" target="_blank
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

Okay all you folks who liked Heavy Rain who are now playing LA Noire.

I loved Heavy Rain except for the nonsensical gamer controls. To me it made no sense to tell an adventure type story and have most of the critical story decision determined by twix reflexes. Still, everything else about Heavy Rain was perfect.

So does LA Noire come close to the character, story telling and atmosphere of Heavy Rain? And since the game is called LA Noire, does the game have that 40s style music. Oh yes the music, so key for me. If the game can incorporate music like the 70's film FAREWELL MY LOVELY, I will be a grateful gamer.
AKA: Dajjer
disarm

Post by disarm »

D.A.Lewis wrote:Okay all you folks who liked Heavy Rain who are now playing LA Noire.

I loved Heavy Rain except for the nonsensical gamer controls. To me it made no sense to tell an adventure type story and have most of the critical story decision determined by twix reflexes. Still, everything else about Heavy Rain was perfect.

So does LA Noire come close to the character, story telling and atmosphere of Heavy Rain? And since the game is called LA Noire, does the game have that 40s style music. Oh yes the music, so key for me. If the game can incorporate music like the 70's film FAREWELL MY LOVELY, I will be a grateful gamer.
I'm only about 3 hours in, but there are moment in LA Noire that remind me of Heavy Rain, mostly with regard to the atmosphere and general feel of the game world. The gameplay is quite a bit different though. As for the music, it's a mix of original period score and actual music from the era. I even think there are clips of actual radio programs taken from the 40s...saw credits for it in the manual but haven't actually heard them yet. Everything about the look and feel of the game is exactly what you would expect for the time period...no modern touches that I've seen so far.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

How many missions are there? Also are each of these little things I do a full mission? Like the alley gun is one and the bank robbery is one and so on? Or are all these things I'm doing part of one overall big mission..like say 6-8 of these little quick jobs = one mission?

So far they just seem so small and quick. takes me less than 6 min each. The bank robbery took me 2 min I think lol.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

I think there are 40 side missions and 21 story missions.

I just hit the second disc last night.
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

disarm wrote:
D.A.Lewis wrote:Okay all you folks who liked Heavy Rain who are now playing LA Noire.

I'm only about 3 hours in, but there are moment in LA Noire that remind me of Heavy Rain, mostly with regard to the atmosphere and general feel of the game world. The gameplay is quite a bit different though. As for the music, it's a mix of original period score and actual music from the era. I even think there are clips of actual radio programs taken from the 40s...saw credits for it in the manual but haven't actually heard them yet. Everything about the look and feel of the game is exactly what you would expect for the time period...no modern touches that I've seen so far.
"no modern touches" IE no anancromisms. I don't expect a medieval castle in western, I don't expect a tear jerker ending in a comedy and I don't expect anything other than jazz, sax, trumpets and sultry singers when were talking 40s noir.

Thanks Disarm, after I posted, I googled the game and Itunes has the game sound track available. They got the music right. From what I've been reading it looks like the gameplay is closer to RDR than Heavy Rain and that is a good thing in my book. So I am a grateful gamer. Can hardly wait to play.
disarm

Post by disarm »

D.A.Lewis wrote:From what I've been reading it looks like the gameplay is closer to RDR than Heavy Rain and that is a good thing in my book. So I am a grateful gamer. Can hardly wait to play.
Actually, I wouldn't say that the gameplay has anything in common with either RDR or Heavy Rain. They've done something pretty unique with LA Noire and I would say it probably isn't much like any game that you've played before. I think that's a very good thing though.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

disarm wrote:
D.A.Lewis wrote:From what I've been reading it looks like the gameplay is closer to RDR than Heavy Rain and that is a good thing in my book. So I am a grateful gamer. Can hardly wait to play.
Actually, I wouldn't say that the gameplay has anything in common with either RDR or Heavy Rain. They've done something pretty unique with LA Noire and I would say it probably isn't much like any game that you've played before. I think that's a very good thing though.
Yeah, the bulk of the gameplay (the investigative and interrogation bits) has much more in common with classic point and click adventures than anything else.

I'm only 4 or 5 cases in-- that selfish baby keeps demanding attention!-- but I love what I've played so far. It is much more thoughtful and methodical fare than most games, especially of the console variety.
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Picked it up last night, girlfriend and I played through about the first 5 cases.

A few notes:

This is a classic adventure game. But I *like* that. I enjoyed the genre.

The main addition, on top of classic adventure tropes, is sometimes shooting somebody and sometimes chasing them in a car chase. Both activities are fairly fun.

The open world helps facilitate the last two, but past that there's no reason for it. Still, I'm okay with that and don't find it annoying or anything.
I'm special!
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I've started to get into the more meatier cases (i.e. homicide) and like how the game is progressing so far. However, there seems to be some disconnect between how you do in a case and the future story. For example (avoiding specific spoilers), I botch a few questions in the interrogation room with a suspect but still have plenty of evidence for a conviction. Once the interrogation is over, the police chief yells at me for doing such a flimsy job and that they'll have a hard time convicting the guy. He then says he's putting me on a beat patrol for awhile as punishment. The next scene is the start of the new case and that same police chief talks about how great I did on the last case and that the guy has been put away due to all my evidence. :?

So is that final reaction just triggered by the stars you get on a case but otherwise have no effect? Is it possible to fail to convict someone if you do poorly enough?
Black Lives Matter
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:I've started to get into the more meatier cases (i.e. homicide) and like how the game is progressing so far. However, there seems to be some disconnect between how you do in a case and the future story. For example (avoiding specific spoilers), I botch a few questions in the interrogation room with a suspect but still have plenty of evidence for a conviction. Once the interrogation is over, the police chief yells at me for doing such a flimsy job and that they'll have a hard time convicting the guy. He then says he's putting me on a beat patrol for awhile as punishment. The next scene is the start of the new case and that same police chief talks about how great I did on the last case and that the guy has been put away due to all my evidence. :?

So is that final reaction just triggered by the stars you get on a case but otherwise have no effect? Is it possible to fail to convict someone if you do poorly enough?
I wondered the same thing. The case you are talking about I scored a 3 star and I felt really bad that I botched the questions, but the next day the chief was all happy. It wasn't the longest case that I have played so I was planning to replay it to try to fix the ending. Now I don't think it is necessary. I get the feeling that no matter how bad I do, if the story progreses... then its all water under the bridge.
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

It's the 40's, I assume that everybody is drinking heavily at all times.
I'm special!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Haha I was looking all over for a phone to call the station for info..doh was on the table. I don't know why I was looking on the couch and shit. Damn 1940's haha.

Is it just me or is this game overly easy? Well not counting the questioning..i suck at questioning and that kind of stuff. But shoot outs, foot chases, and fist fights..I rule. I never have to chose anyone more than a block or two, fighting lasts about 20 seconds if that, and shoot outs I never get hit and I kill everyone handily. I dont recall a difficulty setting when I started but it feels like it's on super easy. Side missions go by in under 2 min. And the story stuff I feel like Im being led around.

It just does not feel like an open world game. Nothing like RDR did at least. But it really does feel like Im in a Car 64 Where Are You episode. The siren reminds me of Emergency! hehe
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:I've started to get into the more meatier cases (i.e. homicide) and like how the game is progressing so far. However, there seems to be some disconnect between how you do in a case and the future story. For example (avoiding specific spoilers), I botch a few questions in the interrogation room with a suspect but still have plenty of evidence for a conviction. Once the interrogation is over, the police chief yells at me for doing such a flimsy job and that they'll have a hard time convicting the guy. He then says he's putting me on a beat patrol for awhile as punishment. The next scene is the start of the new case and that same police chief talks about how great I did on the last case and that the guy has been put away due to all my evidence. :?

The game is very much on rails. You can get different endings to a case, but it wont have a huge affect on the overall storyline. I had the same thing in homicide where I screwed up a case and got yelled at by the captain for getting the wrong guy. The next morning he says I did a fine job on the case. When my character looks surprised he says there's enough evidence and motive for the DA to get a conviction.

It feels strange that the map in this game is huge, but there is almost no reason to explore it. I'm not a collectible nut, but I might find a guide to all of the cars and golden reels online just because I feel like I've missed out on most of the game world. Kotaku had a good suggestion, and it finally made me realize why the game felt slightly "off" to me. They could have easily increased the open-world feel by letting us work multiple cases at the same time, and having different icons on the map to trigger the start of each part of the case just like the rest of the Rockstar games have. That doesn't work with the episodic format though.

Overall, I'm loving the game. I even like going back and replaying the cases to try and 5-star everything, which is unusual for me. I rarely replay games, but the gameplay in this is fun. My only wish is that there was more of an over-arching storyline, but the story is good enough to where I'm hooked and can't wait to play to find out what happens next. I'm on one of the final missions, if not the last mission itself, so I should be wrapping things up shortly.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Daehawk wrote:
It just does not feel like an open world game. Nothing like RDR did at least. But it really does feel like Im in a Car 64 Where Are You episode. The siren reminds me of Emergency! hehe
Because it's not an open world game. They tacked on an open world map that really has nothing to do with this game.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm enjoying it more now that I'm on the murder desk - it just seems like a better fit for this type of game.

I think that Red Dead Redemption is the best "GTA" themed game R* has made. I feel like LA Noire is the first in a new style of R* games and it's probably best to completely dissociate it from the GTA lineage. As such, it's an amazing accomplishment, but I feel like there is so much more that can be done with the style of game play and the technology they've created to convey the story. It's entertaining and definitely worth playing, but I'm not completely enthralled like I was with RDR. And since no one else has said it, I will: Cole really isn't all that likable. I think the actor doing his voice and facial expressions is great, but as a character his personality is a bit grating, particularly during his questioning of suspects.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I think the end of the murder desk ("The Quarter Moon Murders") might have been the biggest let-down I've experienced in a while. Not only from a story perspective but suddenly I'm playing Assassin's Noire.

Off to Vice.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Smoove_B wrote:I think the end of the murder desk ("The Quarter Moon Murders") might have been the biggest let-down I've experienced in a while. Not only from a story perspective but suddenly I'm playing Assassin's Noire.

Off to Vice.

Agreed, with the last Homicide desk mission. Very weak and a real let down
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

From G4 TV, A real LAPD detective plays LA Noire.

Pretty interesting. And certainly more interesting than watching real musicians fail at playing their own songs in Rock Band. ;)

Video may be a little spoiler-y.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Smoove_B wrote:From G4 TV, A real LAPD detective plays LA Noire.

Pretty interesting. And certainly more interesting than watching real musicians fail at playing their own songs in Rock Band. ;)

Pretty cool. Even more interesting is seeing how differently the case played out for them than it did me.
Black Lives Matter
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

Smoove_B wrote:From G4 TV, A real LAPD detective plays LA Noire.

Thanks smoove, it was also sorta weird reading the mature and thoughful comments .
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

This is the case I have scheduled to complete tonight. Now my enthusiasm for tonight's gaming is reduced.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

J.D. wrote:This is the case I have scheduled to complete tonight. Now my enthusiasm for tonight's gaming is reduced.
It shouldn't be. I completed this case and did it completely different than is displayed.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Still plugging my way through Vice. I am really good at finding evidence but horrible at interviewing people...which really doesn't work out in Vice. I do think my favorite part of the game so far has been my partners. Both Rusty Galloway (Homicide) and Roy Earle (Vice) have been very entertaining with their comments and portrayals.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Well, the Arson desk took a turn I wasn't expecting...and I'm rather confused.
Spoiler:
Changing characters in the final act of the game? Really?
It was nice to see John Noble (aka Walter Bishop of late) in the game. I'd forgotten he was part of the cast. He tried to outsmart me, but I wasn't falling for it.

I'm still not able to correctly associate clues with interrogation cues. I apparently made the wrong guess during the initial Arson case though I thought for sure I lined every thing up correctly. 15+ cases into the game and I'm still having problems making the right choices during the interrogations.

Unless something goes horribly wrong, I'd imagine I will finish it this weekend. I'll try to give more detailed thoughts then.
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

Smoove_B wrote: Unless something goes horribly wrong, I'd imagine I will finish it this weekend. I'll try to give more detailed thoughts then.

:shock:

I guess I must be the slowest gamer in the whole wide universe. Even super quick games take me a couple of weeks. One the plus side, I always feel I get my money's worth when I play my games.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm not a car collector and I've completed 25/40 street cases - mostly to gain the the XP boost for intuition. It's a pretty straight run, particularly if you ignore those street crimes. I'd have to look at the total time played, but it really doesn't feel like I've been playing very long.

It used to take me forever to finish games too. Now I treat them all like books or movies and force myself to only play one at a time to completion or play enough to where I've decided they're not worth it. It's done wonders for my backlog and wallet.

About the only thing I can say for sure is that unlike most games I've played, I can definitely see where this has way more re-playability. I enjoyed the HELL out of RDR, but I don't feel like there's any reason for me to fire it up again (other than the DLC). Now that I understand the system a bit more, I bet I can do much better investigations on the traffic desk and maybe some of the early homicide cases.
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

I too can really only play one game at a time. I am currently struggling with the Witcher 2 but it is turing out to be one of the hardest RPGs I have ever played. This weekend I am going to decide if I should give it a rest for a few weeks. A decision that might be hastend because I purchased LA Noire about 3 hours ago and it's looking to be a more pleasant diversion.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Finished the homicide desk last night and agree that the final case was a let-down. It didn't help that I kept falling down while trying to walk across the planks/boards.

I am also still having trouble with some of the interrogations, partly because it often seems that the people are surely lying but the game doesn't record everything I would consider evidence. For example, in the first vice case
Spoiler:
I found a bunch of heroin in a guy's radio. I question him about dealing and he claims he doesn't deal. Well obviously that's a lie since I just found massive amounts of drugs in his room. But when I look through my evidence options, there is nothing there about all the heroin I just found. And then I asked about his connection with the company that was distributing the heroin in the radios (I had already gone to that warehouse) and the guy claims he just bought a radio from them, nothing more. Again, there was no option in my evidence notes relating to all the heroin I just found within his radio. Blah.
More generally, it seems that the game has set answers for every question, no matter what you've previously done in the case. For example, if you miss a piece of evidence that you might have been able to use to prove that a suspect is lying, it still counts it as an incorrect answer if you select "doubt" rather than "lie". But without the evidence "doubt" is the most correct option.
Black Lives Matter