Silly pics...what'cha got??....maybe NSFW

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Re: Silly pics...what'cha got??....maybe NSFW

Post by ImLawBoy »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:14 pm
Unagi wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:35 pm The idea behind the meme is that we teach our kids useless knowledge and leave them no skills for life. It's crap.
The meme doesn't make the point well, but the point itself is valid. We teach our kids to pass tests, not the knowledge to handle what the world throws at them.
That's an oversimplification and I don't think it's fair. As others have intimated, the ability to pass the tests provides foundational knowledge that can be used in the real world. The foundational math skills you learn to pass the math tests can then be applied to things like doing your taxes. Could they do better at making the connection to real world activities? Sure, but it's not like there are no efforts to show kids today how to use their educational skills in the real world.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
stessier

Post by stessier »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:41 pm
Unagi wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:35 pm The idea behind the meme is that we teach our kids useless knowledge and leave them no skills for life. It's crap.
The meme doesn't make the point well, but the point itself is valid. We teach our kids to pass tests, not the knowledge to handle what the world throws at them.
That's an oversimplification and I don't think it's fair. As others have intimated, the ability to pass the tests provides foundational knowledge that can be used in the real world. The foundational math skills you learn to pass the math tests can then be applied to things like doing your taxes. Could they do better at making the connection to real world activities? Sure, but it's not like there are no efforts to show kids today how to use their educational skills in the real world.
I'm with Blackhawk. I'm a very involved parent - I help with homework every night. The kids are constantly asking how they will ever use what they are learning - there is virtually no connection in the material itself. Could just be the SC school system though - I believe we are ranked somewhere in the 40s in the nation for a reason.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

stessier wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:56 pm
I'm with Blackhawk. I'm a very involved parent - I help with homework every night. The kids are constantly asking how they will ever use what they are learning - there is virtually no connection in the material itself. Could just be the SC school system though - I believe we are ranked somewhere in the 40s in the nation for a reason.
But just because they aren't doing a good job of making the explicit connection doesn't mean that what they're doing won't help in the real world. Using the sentence diagramming example from earlier, they may not tell you that being able to parse a sentence will enhance your written communication skills and ability to write a cover letter going forward, but it will do that.

Maybe I'll have a different view as my kids age and their work gets more complex and abstract, but I can't jump in to the future (yet).
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

This thread has become very unsilly......
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I'm still unclear how many people need quadratic equations beyond schooling years.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

stimpy wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:07 pm This thread has become very unsilly......
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jaymon wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:11 pm I'm still unclear how many people need quadratic equations beyond schooling years.
They come in very handy for doing your taxes.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:01 pm
stessier wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:56 pm
But just because they aren't doing a good job of making the explicit connection doesn't mean that what they're doing won't help in the real world. Using the sentence diagramming example from earlier, they may not tell you that being able to parse a sentence will enhance your written communication skills and ability to write a cover letter going forward, but it will do that.

Maybe I'll have a different view as my kids age and their work gets more complex and abstract, but I can't jump in to the future (yet).
Right, and maybe I'm putting words in Blackhawk's mouth, but let's take just a bit of the diagraming time and make room for actually teaching how to write the cover letter. Or how to balance a checkbook (which is the old standby). My daughter is in trig right now and was learning how to map sine and cosine waves. She was confused and so I mapped a couple for her and she noticed that the cosine was just a shifted sine wave - I was thrilled! But she was like - why do we care and it wasn't until I mentioned how that it ties into her beloved noise cancelling headphones that she saw the utility. She's a smart kid and does well in school but she doesn't know enough about the world to imagine how to apply things - she's just studying for the test. There has to be a better way. (I'm not blaming teachers either - it's how curriculums are setup.)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
stessier

Post by stessier »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:14 pm
Jaymon wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:11 pm I'm still unclear how many people need quadratic equations beyond schooling years.
They come in very handy for doing your taxes.
Stupid AMT!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:05 pm
Sudy wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:49 pm
Daehawk wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:33 pm I knew back then Id never use diagramming sentences in the future yet was forced to do them. So much taught is not used.
While I share some of your frustration, we're not taught to diagram sentences because someone thought we'd have to do it in the future. Some knowledge is foundational.
This. After 12 years of exposure, sentences just sound right or wrong.
I make my living fixing other people's sentences, but I've forgotten most of the rules and technicalities. I just have a good instinct for English based on a lifetime of reading and writing.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

If, and only if, that information is presented in a practical format, and only if it is taught in a way that doesn't lead to completely forgetting it two months later.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

When I was in school I was real good at taking tests. Doesn't mean I learned anything tho.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Not many! But unless we want to give up broad based education in the pre-college world, there are going to be some subjects that get learned that aren't going to have a practical use in all careers.
stessier wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:15 pm Right, and maybe I'm putting words in Blackhawk's mouth, but let's take just a bit of the diagraming time and make room for actually teaching how to write the cover letter. Or how to balance a checkbook (which is the old standby). My daughter is in trig right now and was learning how to map sine and cosine waves. She was confused and so I mapped a couple for her and she noticed that the cosine was just a shifted sine wave - I was thrilled! But she was like - why do we care and it wasn't until I mentioned how that it ties into her beloved noise cancelling headphones that she saw the utility. She's a smart kid and does well in school but she doesn't know enough about the world to imagine how to apply things - she's just studying for the test. There has to be a better way. (I'm not blaming teachers either - it's how curriculums are setup.)
So, like I was saying, the schools could do a better job of drawing the connections to the real world, but the skills are still foundational and valuable? If that's the case, then I think you are blaming the teachers, because they're the ones who could be providing that context to the base curriculum.
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:47 pm
If, and only if, that information is presented in a practical format, and only if it is taught in a way that doesn't lead to completely forgetting it two months later.
All kids learn differently, of course, but it's not an "if and only if" scenario. Some kids will learn quite well just doing the times tables without practical application for them. For more complex subjects, I think that having the knowledge there as a background, even if you need a refresher on it in the real world, has real value. And the more you provide the real world context for a lot of these skills, the more you might get students rebelling against it. "I'm going to be a writer, so I don't need to know these quadratic equations - you said so yourself that their real world application doesn't have anything to do with what I want to do!" And then we start losing that idea of the broad based education that teaches kids lots of different subjects even if they don't end up using all of them in real life.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I remember in high school (mid 60s) in geography class there were quite a few kids that still didn't know where Vietnam was. :roll:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its that way. *points*
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:00 pm All kids learn differently, of course, but it's not an "if and only if" scenario. Some kids will learn quite well just doing the times tables without practical application for them.
There is truth to that, but it is also true that human brains work a certain way outside of those individual variations. How memory works has been studied pretty extensively. There are ways of learning that lead to long-term recall and comprehension, and there are ways of learning that result in quicker short term gains, but lower understanding and reduced long-term retention. We teach via the latter, as it is the most efficient way to get kids ready to pass a test.

That is caused, not by the teachers, but by an institution that makes the more effective ways of teaching impossible to implement.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Holman

Post by Holman »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:01 pm But just because they aren't doing a good job of making the explicit connection doesn't mean that what they're doing won't help in the real world. Using the sentence diagramming example from earlier, they may not tell you that being able to parse a sentence will enhance your written communication skills and ability to write a cover letter going forward, but it will do that.
This.

Diagramming sentences teaches you how words relate to each other. I (as a long-time English teacher) am surely pretty biased here, but I'm convinced that people knowing how language shapes statements and questions and descriptions is hugely important to shared public life.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Zarathud

Silly pics...what'cha got??....maybe NSFW

Post by Zarathud »

Why should modern students refuse to learn concepts from Egypt, Babylon, India, China, and later Descartes and Galileo? It’s been useful since 700-1600 AD.

Economics uses curving lines to determine optimal markets. It can be used to determine area.

If you can imagine and use math to calculate a changing curve, you are more likely to understand that the world is complex. If you can juggle multiple variables, you don’t need an overly simplified world. And if your brain is flexible enough to understand math, you can understand more of the world. That’s classical education.
Last edited by Zarathud on Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

This (and Holman's This)
Last edited by Unagi on Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Enlarge Image
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:14 pm Image
Ahh, that's a Basil Cell.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

I don't want to hear anyone complain about doing taxes until they have to fill out the FAFSA. Every server that houses that site should be set on fire. Fuck the coders. Fuck the designers. Fuck the king.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:59 pm I don't want to hear anyone complain about doing taxes until they have to fill out the FAFSA. Every server that houses that site should be set on fire. Fuck the coders. Fuck the designers. Fuck the king.
I had 4 years of this torture. My new torture is trying to get my mom signed up for Medicaid in Florida.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

WYBaugh wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:41 am
EvilHomer3k wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:59 pm I don't want to hear anyone complain about doing taxes until they have to fill out the FAFSA. Every server that houses that site should be set on fire. Fuck the coders. Fuck the designers. Fuck the king.
I had 4 years of this torture. My new torture is trying to get my mom signed up for Medicaid in Florida.
That makes me think of my highschool English class and how we needed to read Brave New World... All the while, they really should have been teaching us how to sign up for Medicaid in Florida.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

At the very least, between Geography and Social Studies they should have taught you not to move to Florida in the first place.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Just went through this process with my kid after putting it off for months because the site kept crashing when we tried to create an account.

What an awful piece of garbage.

And it wasn't until nearly the end of the process when we learned it was going to base it on the 2021 tax year - the year my wife got a huge bonus that doubled our yearly income. I'm sure the kid is going to qualify for a ton of student aid if they think that's our normal income. :roll:
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Exodor wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:38 am
Just went through this process with my kid after putting it off for months because the site kept crashing when we tried to create an account.

What an awful piece of garbage.

And it wasn't until nearly the end of the process when we learned it was going to base it on the 2021 tax year - the year my wife got a huge bonus that doubled our yearly income. I'm sure the kid is going to qualify for a ton of student aid if they think that's our normal income. :roll:
Good news! You get to do it again next year. I get to do it twice because I have two kids in college. One thing that I found was that for some reason it worked much better in Chrome than in Firefox. I had to wait minutes for it to load a page in Firefox and they loaded in under 30 seconds in Chrome. Still terrible response time but much better than firefox.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:46 am Good news! You get to do it again next year.
Well....shit.

I was so annoyed with the process that by the end when I had to sign I had two options - create my own account or print out a sheet of paper, physically sign it and mail it in. I opted for the mail-in option because I couldn't face creating a account for myself (and I didn't want to risk it crashing and losing all our progress).
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Exodor wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:35 am
EvilHomer3k wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:46 am Good news! You get to do it again next year.
Well....shit.

I was so annoyed with the process that by the end when I had to sign I had two options - create my own account or print out a sheet of paper, physically sign it and mail it in. I opted for the mail-in option because I couldn't face creating a account for myself (and I didn't want to risk it crashing and losing all our progress).
You can fill out the FAFSA for your not yet 18 year old kid. You can then have an email sent to them to create their own account. Then you can spend hours on the phone and the web site trying to figure out why the account you created using the email you told FAFSA having the SSN you used isn't recognized as a MFing account. You can then sign up for a new account using the same email and wait weeks for the confirmation never to get it. Then you can go back online and try doing it all over again always wonderying why the F it doesn't recognize the account. You can contact support and spend an hour trying to figure it out with them. Then you can resign yourself to creating a new account and filling everything out AGAIN. But, before you start you need your 4th MFing beer to deal with this. Only to find that the text used on the website is wrong and you are, in fact, not creating a new account but logging in to the account your created and the text just makes it look like it's a new account.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Enlarge Image
stessier

Post by stessier »

Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:54 am Enlarge Image
I had a computer with this form factor. I loved it, LOVED IT! Played many many hours City of Heroes on that thing.

The main fan in the back was tubular.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Enlarge Image
stessier

Post by stessier »

The plot of The Eternals explained.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Call me Slap Thickneck
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Smash Deadlift here.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Slam Chunkhead
It's almost as if people are the problem.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Buck McRunfast
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949