Dead Island

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Paingod

Re: Dead Island

Post by Paingod »

Smoove_B wrote:They also upped the stacks for just about everything (I think) so you can hold way more med kits and Molotov cocktails now.
Sweet mercy. The one thing that slowed me down was not having enough Medkits to just hammer them constantly. Carrying around MORE molotovs in a stack is going to prove unpleasant for many many undead as well. I'll just have to use more of them.
Smoove_B wrote:They certainly are useful...until a running zombie torch is coming at you. :)
A burning enemy gets treated with more respect, I think. It hasn't been a problem for me if they're running at me, with the exception of a few scorches here and there. I mostly use them when I'm in a position of relative safety - like being able to toss one into a room and close the door after, or bombing a group of walkers gathered up around a car. My favorites, by far, are Thugs and Rams - a Ram will stand there if you're up high, and Thugs are too slow to escape the burnination.

Footnote: Merchants selling Bleach are also some of my best friends. 5x Bleach = +70xp and an Incindiary Grenade - which is like a Vorpal Molotov. I've got 90 Bleach stored up (cost about $12,000), but that'll be good for 18 Incindiaries. It's a shame Bleach is also used to make ammo.

I've also got Purna to a happy ammo place - +75% created, +30 Pistol ammo held - my pistol has 80 rounds of doom, and I make 17 rounds out of 2x metal scrap and 1x bleach (which I have stockpiled specifically for this purpose). I don't bother engaging Floaters in melee anymore - I just Shock Pistol them to death. I'm level 34 and have found a few rifles and a couple shotguns, but haven't felt compelled to use them seriously. I've never fired a rilfe - they do less damage than my pistol, but fire 600 RPM - and the one time I used a Shotgun proved to be a miserable failure (4 Walkers attacked me just after I picked it up, and it took almost all of my ammo to kill them from 5 feet away from me; it was labelled "defective" and I dropped it shortly afterwards).
Last edited by Paingod on Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
ibdoomed

Post by ibdoomed »

Paingod wrote:
Inverarity wrote:Holy cow, you are a machine.
That's nothin'. I wonder what ibdoomed's numbers are like.
Where do you get stats like the above?

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

When you run the game, check the "Extras" menu, and look for "Statistics" (I think). You can see overall stats (combined from every character), a specific character, and even down to a specific type of weapon.

It conufses me greatly that Thugs are absent the list of kills.
Black Lives Matter

Effidian

Post by Effidian »

It is unfortunate that you can't get stats by individual save. I've had a couple of each character, so I can't tell what my individual save stats are. For example, I leveled up a Sam to 50 in 5 1/2 hours, but I can't tell what his stats are because they are mixed in with my other Sam.

Here are my overall stats:

Play time: 93h 45m 21s
Quests 456
Distance 411.56
Challenges 60%
Achievements 87%
Items modified 76
Medkits used 206
Food consumed 1536
Deaths 144
7016 walkers killed
1524 infected killed
642 humans killed
79 floaters killed
27 butchers killed
208 suiciders killed
79 rams killed
Last edited by Effidian on Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Effidian wrote:It is unfortunate that you can't get stats by individual save. I've had a couple of each character, so I can't tell what my individual save stats are.
I just want to see ibdoomed's 30,000+ kills for his 301 hours... /boggle ... though I expect I'll probably only go through the game once with each character, so showing stats per character is fine for me.
Black Lives Matter

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Effidian wrote:For example, I leveled up a Sam to 50 in 5 1/2 hours, but I can't tell what his stats are because they are mixed in with my other Sam.
:shock: Did you exploit some broken Thug bones there?

*Edit: Meant to add this to my previous post. :/
Black Lives Matter

Effidian

Post by Effidian »

Paingod wrote:
Effidian wrote:For example, I leveled up a Sam to 50 in 5 1/2 hours, but I can't tell what his stats are because they are mixed in with my other Sam.
:shock: Did you exploit some broken Thug bones there?
Yep (I think I mentioned that somewhere in this thread). I just wanted to see how quickly that panned out, plus I think Thugs are one of the most fun zombies to fight. Once I got him to 50, I didn't really play him much. I think he still has his broken brass knuckles...
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Effidian wrote:I think Thugs are one of the most fun zombies to fight.
I think they are too.

My assessments:
Spoiler:
Fun++ - Thug: He's slow, but very hearty. He's got a three-hit combo and a big swing, and loves to yell at you. He encourages you to break or cut off his arms, and he's the one zombie you really see a lot of damage effects on as you work him down. If he's on the move he can even survive a Molotov burning, making him a crispy treat. Beware his headbutt! Ideal Weapon: Toxic Machete
Fun+ - Humans: They're a real pleasant diversion from the normal carnage of the zombie hoards, and love to drop precious ammo at the cost of one bullet per headshot. Melee humans are actually more dangerous than almost any other enemy - unless you give them a quick tap to the head with a pistol. Ideal Weapon: Accurate Firearm (any)
Fun+ - Ram: He howls with impotent rage and charges - a quick jump to the side and a twirl of my cape, then run up and hack his back for a few hits before running away to dodge him again. Do not let him kick you or ram you. Ideal weapon: Toxic Machete
Fun - Walkers: Cut 'em, burn 'em, kick 'em - they just don't stop until you destroy the brain. Classic zombie action. Hop up onto a car and get a hoard of them around you for a nice BBQ or brainbashing ceremony. Plus, get your headstomp on as they struggle to stand up. Ideal Weapon: Everything
Fun - Suiciders: You hear "Heeellllp Mmmmeeeee...." long before you see him, and you know that two taps from a gun and you get a massive amount of Zed killin' carnage. What's not to like? Even if you happen to bump into one running around a corner, you have enough time to get away before he goes off unless your shoelaces are tied together. Ideal Weapon: Firearm
Meh - Infected: They scream bloody murder and charge, and if your timing is just right you get the satisfying "snickt" of a blade cleanly lopping off their heads in one shot. If you time it wrong, you get the ever-loving shit kicked out of you in 1.7 seconds. The fun of them is balanced evenely with the unfun due to their insane attack speed and ability to overwhelm you. Ideal Weapon: Machete (any)
Unfun - Floaters: You hear a Thug's howl in the distance ... but then it devolves into a gurgle. Another Floater. Damn. They fire volleys of toxic spit 10 meters, can spew poison in a 180º cone in front of them, and have a poisonous aura. Thankfully, they're easier to stagger and knock over than a Thug. They're immune to Fire and Poison. The best way to beat them is to use up some ammo from a Shock Pistol, hoping to shock them and then you can run in and cut them down while they're twitching. Ideal Weapon: Shock Pistol
Unknown - Butcher: By all accounts, they sound like harder-to-kill Infected, which would probably put them on par with or below Floaters for fun levels. Maybe this is what Assault Rifles are for?
Black Lives Matter

ibdoomed

Post by ibdoomed »

Paingod wrote:
Effidian wrote:It is unfortunate that you can't get stats by individual save. I've had a couple of each character, so I can't tell what my individual save stats are.
I just want to see ibdoomed's 30,000+ kills for his 301 hours... /boggle ... though I expect I'll probably only go through the game once with each character, so showing stats per character is fine for me.

Play time: 287h 12m 32s
Quests 511
Distance 1516.92
Deaths 314
19772 walkers
4772 infected
2052 humans
256 floaters
56 butchers
634 suiciders
249 rams
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

That's a little less than the 30,000 I was expecting to see. I'm almost disappointed... :P

I was calculating your numbers based on mine - I kill an average of 1.7745 zombies (of one kind or another) every minute; this also includes all the time I spend exploring and poking around. The city has probably been a huge boon to my kill ratios. I need to see how many times I've died now... It's probably in the 20's (or I could be deluding myself).

Now - if the game says you've got 287 hours and Steam says 301 - does that mean you've spent 14 hours looking at loading screens and menus?
Black Lives Matter

ibdoomed

Post by ibdoomed »

Paingod wrote: Now - if the game says you've got 287 hours and Steam says 301 - does that mean you've spent 14 hours looking at loading screens and menus?
My guess is that and that paused actually pauses the counting too, which accounts for meals, bathroom breaks, etc...

I also don't think Steam is dead on balls accurate with it's time across the whole platform.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

That might do it. I've also had Steam record 5 minutes of time for simply starting a game and getting to the main menu before exiting.

My updated stats; I still haven't been 'healthy' enough to get into zombie carnage:

Purna - 32 Hours, 27 Minutes
Walkers: 2681
Infected: 457
Thugs: ???
Suiciders: 104
Rams: 27
Floaters: 23
Butchers: 0
Humans: 163

Deaths: 29
Food Items Consumed: 1055
Medkits Used: 113
Items Modified: 47

I eat everything (half the time I'm not even hurt, it's just a reflex to eat and drink when I find it) and am never shy about using medkits. I kill an average of 1.7745 zombies per minute, and get 119.137 zombie kills per death. Now, before I got to the City, my total deaths was something like 8; Moresby has been brutal, but every death makes me more cautious and harder to kill next time. I think my biggest downfall is typically pride - the "I know I've only got 30% of my health left, but I can take this Thug before I heal" and he gets in a lucky hit, killing me.

I will say that despite Purna's very useful Fury ability, I really have to remind myself to use it. For some reason I'd rather "tough it out" and fight hard than mash an "I win" button. I don't get it.
Black Lives Matter

Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

Made it to the city last night... thought the seamlessness of the transition was odd but I guess fast travel makes it irrelevant. I think I like the city better than the resort atmosphere wise anyway.

For some reason I just cannot fight thugs effectively. Unless I get a shock crit or something I pretty much always have to rely on Purna's Fury to end them. Is there some strategy that I am failing to develop? The chargers and the splodey guys are no problem but those plain old thugs keep rolling me.

Fun game when I let myself get lost in it. Not nearly as fun if I'm just looking for quick distraction though... takes me 15-20 minutes to really settle into the atmosphere each session.
kind of like a cloud I was up way up in the sky and I was feeling some feelings that I couldn't believe; sometimes I don't believe them myself but I decided I was never coming down
Effidian

Post by Effidian »

Chesspieceface wrote:For some reason I just cannot fight thugs effectively. Unless I get a shock crit or something I pretty much always have to rely on Purna's Fury to end them. Is there some strategy that I am failing to develop? The chargers and the splodey guys are no problem but those plain old thugs keep rolling me.
Dodge is your friend. Space + direction arrow. When they roar/yell, run in and get a couple swings in, then dodge back (back + space). That will get you out of their swing range. It is a good idea to try to disable their arms, so try to focus on hitting/cutting one of their arms until you break/cut it off. Then go for the next one. After both arms are disabled, they still will bite you, but it isn't nearly as tricky dodging that. It may take a couple times going in and dodging back out to disable the arms, just keep focusing on the same one until you get it done. Also, kick them when they aren't roaring. About every 3 attack sequences they will roar. You can speed that up by kicking them to basically interrupt their sequence. Your kick has a better range than their attack.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

How I fight Thugs:
Spoiler:
For me, Thugs are all about knowing weapon reach. They reach about as far as I can with a machete, maybe a smidge further. What this means is dancing in and out of their area of attack at opportune moments to hit them once and then dance back to safety. You also have to know how they move and how to react to that. I never jump backwards or side to side except when fighting Rams.

Thug makes a wide swing - this is an opprtunity to move in and hit him once his arc of attack is beyond you. Move back immediately after hitting, because he's probably going to follow up with another wide swing.

Thug makes three quick controlled swings - hang back and wait until this animation is over before hitting again. Treat this like a regular swing, except that you have to wait for him to finish three light swings.

Thug roars - This is the perfect time to hit him two or even three times before dodging backwards. Don't hang around thinking you're kicking his ass - because he will destroy you if you stay there.

Thug has no arms and tries to bite you - I think this is a shorter range attack than his arms, and a few good boots to the chest can keep him a safe distance until he gets so irritated that he needs to roar again.

I've found a kick can stagger them slightly and reset/interrupt them, meaning getting them to roar more often. It's also possible to knock down a Thug using an Impact weapon, like a Magic Wand; Head Stomp a Thug? Yes please! Another good tactic is to equip Shock/Poison weapons - when the weapon criticals, the Thug will start dancing the electric jig or puking - both are good for 5-6 free hits with a machete before backing off.

Alternately, since game bugs keep dumping them on me by the dozen when I try and make 5 of them, I use a lot of Molotovs; Jin has over 240 in storage for me and I always carry 30 on me when I leave her. A single molotov can cut a Thug in half easily at level 36, and can kill one at level 20. Where I'm at in the game, I don't really get to cut their arms off before my weapons finish them.
How I fight Butchers:
Spoiler:
I've encountered two of them, but watched a gameplay video of how they fight. They move like Infected, but have the health of a Thug. Not cool. My solution? Rifles. I have a good Single-Shot Rifle I keep that fires as fast as I pull the trigger (I prefer this for control over "spray n pray" guns). When I bump into a Butcher, I switch to my rifle. It's the only enemy I use it for (so far). I've discovered that hitting them in the head with bullets will stagger them, and does double damage. Since the rifle fires quickly and accurately, I can keep staggering them over and over, basically locking them down for 30 rounds worth of shots. If they're still alive at the end, I run off and reload to keep shooting. They've never touched me. Butchers seem like relatively rare enemies, and I think it's worth the cost in ammo to finish them off this way.

If I'm ever out of bullets, I expect I'll use my Fury to finish them. They're worth it.
How I fight Floaters:
Spoiler:
In the sewers, Floaters are a real bitch. I ended up doing just one thing for them - Shock Pistol. Electricity is the only elemental they're susceptable to, and it does bad things to them. Once they start dancing the jig, I'd switch to a strong electric Machete and run in as quick as possible to finish them. Alternately, a good explosive device is called for; maybe you like Deo-Bombs or have a stock of Grenades. A lot of Floaters seem to come with red propane tanks nearby them, and getting that next them and shooting it once can end them quickly

Killing a Floater with melee is possible, but always painful. I've never done it without loosing 50% of my health. Simply equip your best electric bladed weapon (for speed of attack and being able to hit 10 times before getting tired), and wait until the split second after he pukes a glob at you - now run right at him. He'll start spewing poison in an arc, but you're objective is to get behind him and start hammering him hard and fast. Try and stay behind him, keep hitting him. If you're using level-appropriate weapons (not a Level 25 Knife on a Level 35 Floater) he should die just as you run out of endurance. If not, kick him a couple times to stagger him and then swing again when you can.

Tip: In the Jungle, Floaters seem to start off in a prone position as they want to "surprise" you by emerging from the water when you get close - you've got to really keep your eyes peeled around pools of water and as soon as you see these things start getting up, run in and put them down as priority targets. Otherwise, they're easier to kill here than in the sewers since you have more room to move around.
How I fight Rams:
Spoiler:
Fighting a Ram is easy enough once you know what to do.

First, clear the area of any other undead. The last thing you want to do is try to fight a Ram while a Walker tackles you. Use the Ram to knock over undead, or simply dodge him while killing the others.

The Ram itself is a matter of general timing. Get into the open and be a good distance from him. He'll charge at you. When he gets close, sidestep and press jump to hop quickly to the side. This puts you safely out of his path (don't do it too early or he'll adjust trajectory and run you down). The second he runs by, run after him. He'll stop and struggle - and this is when you hammer hard and fast on his back for a couple seconds. Move back before he turns around and get a safe distance away again. He'll prepare to charge again - and simply repeat the process.

You can also get him to run into obsticles, which stop him abruptly and make chasing him down easier, but they don't hurt him.

Tip: A Ram will not move from his starting point if he cannot get to you by running. Standing on a platform or car will cause them to just stand in one place - an ideal time for a Molotov or Incindiary Grenade. If you hop onto a car after he's chased you for a while, he'll simply walk back to his starting point.
A note on Infected:
Spoiler:
I discovered last night that Infected seem to be as susceptable to headshots from Pistols as Humans are. While fighting some Jungle Bandits, an Infected ran at me; I didn't have time to switch weapons, so I shot him in the head ... and he went down instantly.
Black Lives Matter

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just hit Level 30 last night in the City (w/ I think 25 hours of play time). I finished the main story quests for this Chapter (I think), but the game just keeps giving me more and more side quests. Like a zombie-hating monkey, I must complete them. I did finally loot a Wakizashi which has been tremendous in de-limbing the undead. The quality isn't all that great but it is by far the best bladed weapon I've come across.

I've also found three colored skulls and it was only last night that I figured out what to do with them. Well, in theory anyway as I've yet to do what's required.
Spoiler:
I think you have to bring the skull to it's corresponding altar. From a quick search online, it suggests this will get you super special weapon plans
Twice now during searches I've found diamonds, and both times it happened all I could hear in my head was "This cabinet is now diamonds!", which made me start laughing like a maniac.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

You just made me realize that I haven't seen a "sword" since level 30. I looted three Katanas that level (none great), and haven't seen a single one since that I can remember. I must be getting some bad loot rolls. I'm all Machetes and Bats :| at level 37.

I'm finally into the Jungle and I like the atmosphere shift again. Ritz to Slum to Rugged.

I'm not nice...
Spoiler:
... to Jin. She goes through all the effort and risks her life to guide me to the Jungle town - and along the way I keep abandoning her to chase objectives and enemies off in the woods... every time this leaves her, defenseless, sitting on a road, in territory swarming with zombies and bandits. The last time I did it, I did actually start to feel bad for doing this to her.
Jungle thought...
Spoiler:
I'm a little dismayed that the actual numbers of undead in the jungle seem lower than anywhere else, but this might be due to human bandits with guns thinning them out? Who knows.
Real Lab Spoiler...
Spoiler:
For some reason I really expected the "Lab" (noted as being "the source" of the infection) to be crawling with undead... and not just 10 of them.
Black Lives Matter

gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I'm just starting to get into Dead Island, and I'm really enjoying it so far. There are two things I don't get, though.

1) Why does it decide to auto-equip alcohol as a weapon? It's a giant PITA to have to go into the inventory and replace my weapon back in my hand.

2) If I wanted to do coop with a specific friend over the internet, is there an easy way to do matchmaking without opening it up to the world?

Thanks!
Doomboy

Post by Doomboy »

gbasden wrote:I'm just starting to get into Dead Island, and I'm really enjoying it so far. There are two things I don't get, though.

1) Why does it decide to auto-equip alcohol as a weapon? It's a giant PITA to have to go into the inventory and replace my weapon back in my hand.

2) If I wanted to do coop with a specific friend over the internet, is there an easy way to do matchmaking without opening it up to the world?

Thanks!
The only way to play it online with a specific friend that I know of is to use Hamachi to set up a private internet LAN, and then both of you can play over that LAN.

Otherwise, be prepared to have C*ckLobst3r and his buddy 13ungh0lio join in for zombie smashing fun.

The best part? You can't turn off internet chat if you do play. So unless you are on a private LAN, you might not have a lot of fun...
ibdoomed

Post by ibdoomed »

Doomboy wrote:
gbasden wrote:I'm just starting to get into Dead Island, and I'm really enjoying it so far. There are two things I don't get, though.

Thanks!
The only way to play it online with a specific friend that I know of is to use Hamachi to set up a private internet LAN, and then both of you can play over that LAN.

Otherwise, be prepared to have C*ckLobst3r and his buddy 13ungh0lio join in for zombie smashing fun.

The best part? You can't turn off internet chat if you do play. So unless you are on a private LAN, you might not have a lot of fun...
We've been doing Internet Private (change the slots from public to private in the settings) games and only friends can join I think. No one else has ever jumped in. (PC Version that is, dunno about those weird console people.)
Doomboy

Post by Doomboy »

ibdoomed wrote:
Doomboy wrote:

Thanks!

We've been doing Internet Private (change the slots from public to private in the settings) games and only friends can join I think. No one else has ever jumped in. (PC Version that is, dunno about those weird console people.)
Well then, there you go. I had to set up Hamachi because of the weirdness of it dropping LAN games on the same LAN. I don't know if that is something they fixed. So to play with my room mate, we have to play a LAN over the internet. If we choose the LAN option, eventually one of us runs off into the ocean or humps a cliff and drops out of the game as we get out of synch.

I guess if you can set up a private game over the internet, that would be great. Just don't try to use an external chat program (or even Steam chat) because then you will get echoes of everything said twice. The game's in game chat is nice enough. An option to disable it would have been nice. Maybe they fixed that since last time I checked.

One thing I noticed since the last patch. The irritating woman who needs water and ignores the energy drinks all around her, has no energy drinks to ignore anymore. So that is nice, I guess. I always used to get mad that she was asking me to brave the zombie infestation to get her a drink when there were drinks within reach of her lazy ass.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm at the 30 hour mark; level 33. Just did a bunch of stuff in the Jungle for
Spoiler:
The Lab (why does there always have to be a lab?)
I'm about to head off to meet some of the locals and ask them for something.

The Suiciders are without question the creepiest zombies - particularly in the city, but the Butcher? Good lord. Electrified and poisoned weapons are pretty much the only choice there. Still hate the Rams more than anything else. I think I need to pump my Rage up a bit more as they're able to handle 5+ bladed shots from me without dying.

Also: still enjoying the HELL out of this game. Might be my game of the year.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Technically, those energy drinks around her would be packed with so much extra stuff that drinking them in her dehydrated state would probably kill her. Sometimes, you just need plain water.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Okay, I think I'm nearing the end finally. Seriously, I would love to meet the reviewers who thought this game was too short. I'm at the 45 hour mark I think and I just hit lvl 35. Plus, I think I'm going to backtrack and see if there aren't any missions in other zones I might have missed before going for the finale.

Like I did with Deus Ex: HR, here are my top observations about the game:

1) If I'm EVER running from the undead in the jungle and in fear for my very life, I don't believe I'll stop running long enough to place my wallet in a wicker basket.

2) My character is the most cheerful son of a bitch in the known universe. You could ask him to slaughter your wife and child as they've become zombies and you can't bring yourself to do it, and my guy will respond, "Sure! Can do!" in a tone that makes you believe you've just asked him if he wants the last piece of deep dish pizza in the box.

3) No one seems surprised when I use a magic map to disappear and reappear anywhere on the island right in front of them.

4) The merchant outside the lighthouse must be a real treat at halloween as I can approach him from the front and he still gets pissed off and warns me to not to creep up on him.

5) Stanley is a raging alcoholic. There, I said it.
Covfefe!
Doomboy

Post by Doomboy »

Turtle wrote:Technically, those energy drinks around her would be packed with so much extra stuff that drinking them in her dehydrated state would probably kill her. Sometimes, you just need plain water.
How did she get so dehydrated in less than a day? There is enough water in the toilet tank to keep her from dying of thirst in a day.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Doomboy wrote:
Turtle wrote:Technically, those energy drinks around her would be packed with so much extra stuff that drinking them in her dehydrated state would probably kill her. Sometimes, you just need plain water.
How did she get so dehydrated in less than a day? There is enough water in the toilet tank to keep her from dying of thirst in a day.
I gave her enough water to last a week and she kept begging for more. In the end I left through the back door, but propped it open so the undead could wander in.
Black Lives Matter

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Paingod wrote:
Doomboy wrote:
I gave her enough water to last a week and she kept begging for more. In the end I left through the back door, but propped it open so the undead could wander in.
Sometimes you gotta go with tough love
Covfefe!
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

Smoove_B wrote:I think I need to pump my Rage up a bit more as they're able to handle 5+ bladed shots from me without dying.
I'm level 20 odd, and I don't even have my rage yet. Is that going to hurt?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It depends on your fighting style. Even at level 34, I can't get the timing right on the Thugs and when I run into them indoors, I really have problems dashing in and out trying to cut off their arms. However, when I bust into Rage mode it's snickety-snick and they're down with a few swings. Same with the floaters -- I see red, run in and cut them down. Rage mode has also become the only way I can deal with the Butchers. For a bit I thought I could rely on electrocution weapons, but unless it releases that stun attack like 90% of the time, it doesn't take much for the Butcher to get on a roll and unleash the pain.

Rams are just built ram tough. I usually weaken them a bit with a firebomb and then Rage them when they're down to 50%. The problem is you're only good for 1-2 shots from them before it's lights out.

EDIT: I don't think I ever use rage on groups of regular zombies. I tend not to put myself in situations where it's more than 3 on 1
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Butchers aren't that bad with an upgraded, electrified katana or some other modded, high level weapon. I can usually take them out as they're running towards me. Logan's throw skills are insane after lvl 25 or so.

Unfortunately, I'm starting to find that if I die and respawn, at least one of my weapons will have disappeared from bodies when I go looking for them. :cry:

Floaters I just circle and strafe with cuts until he falls. Rams are almost a joke at this point as I just find a long space, let them charge, jump to the side and then hack their back until they drop.
Covfefe!
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Smoove_B wrote:Rams are just built ram tough. I usually weaken them a bit with a firebomb and then Rage them when they're down to 50%. The problem is you're only good for 1-2 shots from them before it's lights out.
Make sure you're hitting the back of the Ram. It's his soft spot. His head takes more damage than his torso does as well, but it's still not as squishy as his back. Let him run past you (dodge his charge) and follow him - he'll struggle to turn around for a few seconds, and this is when you'll need to hack his back for 4-5 quick hits and then back off.

Of all the special enemies, Rams are the easiest to kill - but possibly the most annoying to fight only because you need a lot of space to do it right. I still tend to just get somewhere high and Molotov them to death.
Black Lives Matter

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Unfortunately, I'm starting to find that if I die and respawn, at least one of my weapons will have disappeared from bodies when I go looking for them. :cry:
I had a level-matched orange machete given to me as a quest reward and I wanted to upgrade it with the magic of electricity. Not sure if it's a bug or just an issue associated with the boat, but when I finished the work at the bench on the boat, the machete went flying from my hands, clipped through the boat and into the river. I was not amused.

I feel like I'm getting the "Wrap it Up" signal from the director off stage. For reference, it happened when I met with Ope and we had to take a trip. What had been a rather open experience suddenly now feels rather linear - almost like I'm being funneled toward the endgame. I strongly suspect this is intentional given the amount of time I've spent so far; at some point they probably had to cut some quests to try and make sure the game shipped in 2011.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, it does go onto the rails at some point around chapter 14. I can understand why though, given the nature of the story.

Still, I noticed that there's quite a bit of darkened map on many of the areas. Does the game allow you to finish and then go into a sandbox mode? Or do you finish the game and then the credits roll and you have to start over?
Covfefe!
Effidian

Post by Effidian »

hepcat wrote:Still, I noticed that there's quite a bit of darkened map on many of the areas. Does the game allow you to finish and then go into a sandbox mode? Or do you finish the game and then the credits roll and you have to start over?
You have to start over. At one point you'll enter an area you cannot return from. The game will warn you before you go.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Thanks, I'll do some last minute exploring before I head into the final scene. With Batman out today, it may be a while though.
Covfefe!
ibdoomed

Post by ibdoomed »

hepcat wrote:Yeah, it does go onto the rails at some point around chapter 14. I can understand why though, given the nature of the story.

Still, I noticed that there's quite a bit of darkened map on many of the areas. Does the game allow you to finish and then go into a sandbox mode? Or do you finish the game and then the credits roll and you have to start over?
The story unfolds in a way that it doesn't really work to travel back from act4 but act4 has a hub with numerous quests so I'm not sure "rails" exactly describes it. More like there's a turning point.

After you finish the game it gives you the option to continue with a new game+, keeping your level, skills, and stuff but starting the story over.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Wow. I was at the point where you need to decide if you're going to move forward and I decided to go back and see if I missed anything on the maps. Sure enough, I missed an entire village in the Jungle, which doesn't sound so unreasonable given the map. Picked up another 6 or so quests and I'm at the 38 hour mark with 89% of the story complete. Unreal.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Went back and picked up a few more missing quests and visited areas I had missed. Decided to finished up chapter 3 and move into the final part of the game. I think I'm dragging my feet because I don't want it to end.

92% finished and I think I'm level 38 w/ 40 hours of play time.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Finished Sunday morning at lvl 40 and 39 hours (I initially thought I was in the 40 hour range, but I must have looked at the wrong game stats in Steam).

I went back and found the village that Smoove mentioned. It really is easy to miss as I realized that entire portion of the map was not represented by the missions from the other areas. In other words, you were never sent through that part of the map. Found about a half dozen missions that I was mostly able to finish rather quickly with fast travel, although one of them involved a great gun battle.

I found the final boss battle to be kind of...meh. Not what I expected from the game. It wasn't helped by the fact that I had a whole inventory full of orange and purple weapons modded to the hilt...and then lost them in a battle with a thug in which I died and respawned in a completely different area after throwing them all at the baddie. When I finally made my way back to the thug, they were all gone. :cry:

Overall, I loved this gem of a game. I think even more than Deus Ex HR. It took me a few hours to get into it, but once I did I couldn't put it down. I hope we get sequels or some additional chapters via DLC.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

As part of their Halloween sale this week, Amazon Download is selling it for $29.99 -- get the key and activate on STEAM.