2024 Fundraising - $0 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

27 year streak in jeopardy

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Smoove_B

Re: 27 year streak in jeopardy

Post by Smoove_B »

J.D. wrote: What's with Hepatitis?
For some of the strains, you're looking at 40+ days for the incubation period. When you're investigating an outbreak it's hard to get people to remember what they were eating 5 days ago. Two months? Unpossible.

What you really want to watch out for is Beaver fever (I could do this all day).
Maybe next year, maybe no go
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Bakhtosh wrote:I last puked after a bad reaction to anesthesia in 2001.
It was January last year... a tiny little "rock" shredding my urinary tract caused so much pain I puked. It did not make me feel better in the least.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

dedewhale wrote:its been over 35 years for me....so hold on young jedi.
Can you PM me your address? I have a present I'd like to send you. :horse:
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
stessier

Post by stessier »

Hrnac wrote:
stessier wrote:And if anyone is in wisconsin, please feel free to drop by and put me out of my misery. Much obliged.
What part of the state are you located in? Hopefully you will recover before the big game on Sunday.

-Hrnac
Western. Not a native though - Pats fan. I'm not going to be watching the game.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
stessier

Post by stessier »

Oh, and I think I survived intact. Still dealing with some residual lower explosions, but much decreased and the thought of food is no longer off putting. Today was chicken soup minus the chicken. Tomorrow? Pizza? Baconator Double?? Filet mignon and all the trimmings???
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

19 year streak broken 20 minutes ago, at work, at my desk, 10 times (well 2 rounds of 5 heaves each). I'd rather be in a coma right now, but instead am at work for another 1.75 hours.

Got this one from my son, who got it from daycare. Seems to have skipped my wife, thankfully, as she's pregnant and already feeling that enough.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
dedewhale

Post by dedewhale »

Paingod wrote:19 year streak broken 20 minutes ago, at work, at my desk, 10 times (well 2 rounds of 5 heaves each). I'd rather be in a coma right now, but instead am at work for another 1.75 hours.

Got this one from my son, who got it from daycare. Seems to have skipped my wife, thankfully, as she's pregnant and already feeling that enough.
kids always ruin everything
MHS

Post by MHS »

Paingod wrote:19 year streak broken 20 minutes ago, at work, at my desk, 10 times (well 2 rounds of 5 heaves each). I'd rather be in a coma right now, but instead am at work for another 1.75 hours.

I'm sure your co-workers love you.

I last puked less than a week ago. :oops: Percocet + wine on an empty stomach, whoops.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
deadzone

Post by deadzone »

I remember mine well. it was at a conference in Kansas City. I woke up with a start in the middle of the night, completely drenched in sweat and barely made it to the bathroom in time. I stayed in the bathroom the rest of the night I was so sick and weak.

I somehow managed to get the ice bucket and make it to the bed. And I stayed in the bed for most of the conference, which was 4 days. I received a surprise visit from several hotel staff members and paramedics at some point in time. It turns out that I was so out of it and unresponsive that housekeeping thought I was dead in the bed and contacted her supervisors.

I had to stay an extra day to recover and I think that might have been the sickest I have ever been in my life.
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

Where the $#&! do you work that throwing up twice isn't immediate grounds for going home?
Isgrimnur

27 year streak in jeopardy

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wow, DZ, that's really bad.

My last was October 2008. I was on a course of Bactrim. I racked up all the side effects. Luckily, I hadn't been eating at all, so all that came back up was the water I'd been drinking.

The fun was that the effects took so long to develop, I didn't figure it out until I took the last dose.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Boudreaux wrote:
Where the $#&! do you work that throwing up twice isn't immediate grounds for going home?
Must be here with me. I'm out of leave for the year so my boss insists that I come in even if I have the flu despite the fact that I am more than willing to take leave without pay if I am puking.

Hello, health and safety? I'd like to predict an incident at building x, floor y, cubicle z in 15 minutes. Yes, it was caused by my boss. Feel free to castrate him.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Boudreaux wrote:
Yeah, I had the same question.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Sorry to hear it Paingod. Hope you feel better soon!
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Feeling better, yes. Haven't lost it since work... but still feeling very unpleasant.

I was willing to hold out - my wife and I carpool and I didn't want to interrupt her day to bring me home with such a short time to go. When I told my manager, her response was pretty much "Leave, now"
Black Lives Matter

J.D.

Post by J.D. »

My nine month old son just threw up an hour ago. I fear much pain and suffering ahead for this week for our family.
Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

MHS wrote:I last puked less than a week ago. :oops: Percocet + wine on an empty stomach, whoops.
Sounds like my kind of party. 8-)
(V)(;,,;)(V) - Why not Zoidberg?
Model Mayhem # 641920
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

False alarm? My son had one huge puke last night, fell asleep, slept right through the night and has kept all his food down this morning. So it looks like we can rule out virus and chalk it up to a disagreeable dinner or something last night (it was the first night he had chicken).
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Yeah, we don't panic over a single vomiting incident in our house... Alex rejected a PB&J sandwich a week ago out of the blue. He was napping and suddenly started crying... and what we found was the sandwich everywhere in and outside his bed. No good reason for it. No illness came of it for anyone.

Now you get fussy, cranky, vomiting, and diarhea - get ready for some super awesome times for yourself and the kids.
Black Lives Matter

Jag

Post by Jag »

My dad's in Springfield, MA for the weekend and got violently ill over the weekend exactly like Stessier described. He's mid 70s and got really dehydrated so they rushed him to the hospital where he still is and still getting violently sick days later. Sounds like some sort of bug going around.
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

Paingod wrote:Yeah, we don't panic over a single vomiting incident in our house... Alex rejected a PB&J sandwich a week ago out of the blue. He was napping and suddenly started crying... and what we found was the sandwich everywhere in and outside his bed. No good reason for it. No illness came of it for anyone.

Now you get fussy, cranky, vomiting, and diarhea - get ready for some super awesome times for yourself and the kids.
Ya, I'm not going to get worked up over it. It was Andrew's first puke (and he's our first, so as parents it was our first kid-puke incident) so it startled us and with something going around I immediately thought the worst. But he was laughing a half hour later and has been playing nicely this morning. No fever, no diarhea, no crankiness.
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

Jag wrote:My dad's in Springfield, MA for the weekend and got violently ill over the weekend exactly like Stessier described. He's mid 70s and got really dehydrated so they rushed him to the hospital where he still is and still getting violently sick days later. Sounds like some sort of bug going around.
Yikes, hopefully he fights it off soon.
stessier

Post by stessier »

The streak died at 10:23pm CT today. Long live the streak!

The wife relived Metalhead's worst day yesterday - albeit in nicer, more private surroundings. Being the good husband, I was there to help out. 24 hours later, it struck like a coiled serpent from the weeds. I fought for two hours, but in the end, the virus won. I'm still having really weird intestinal cramping, but hope the worst is past.

Oh, and it absolutely was as bad as I remembered it.
Odin

Post by Odin »

The last few times I've puked weren't nearly as bad as I remembered. I had a fairly long stretch in my late teens and 20s where I didn't experience it much at all, but now that I'm older it doesn't bother me nearly as much for some reason. I mean, hell, it's still not a barrel of laughs, but I usually feel better afterwards.

Funny story (that's actually on topic, believe it or not) - when I started one of my jobs, my boss, based in Connecticut, had me drive over to meet with him so he could introduce me around to the senior managers at HQ and start indoctrinating me to the company. I was to meet him for breakfast on my first day, then head down the road from the hotel restaurant to the office, so I drove in the night before. It was late when I got there, so I had dinner at the hotel restaurant/bar. I got myself a nice steak and then hit the sack.

I'll never be sure whether there was something wrong with the steak or whether I suffered because I ate way too much way too late and then went to bed (which usually tends to mess with my stomach), but I woke up feeling terrible in the middle of the night. I didn't actually throw up at that point, but it was a miserable night, made worse by the stress of thinking "I have to meet my new boss (who I'd only met once before face-to-face), all of his peers, and HIS boss, the CEO, tomorrow - and my future with the company will surely be impacted by the kind of first impression I make."

The next morning, I got myself cleaned up as best I can and headed down for "breakfast." I still feel awful, and certainly have nothing resembling an appetite. I got a little food from the breakfast buffet and did a reasonably good job of pretending to eat it, but the whole time I'm thinking "Don't puke. Don't puke. Don't puke at the breakfast table with your new boss on the first day of work. Just don't." I presume I was pale, probably sweating. Eventually it all caught up to me. I calmly excused myself from the table and made my way toward the bathroom. At which point I realized I hadn't the slightest idea where the bathroom was. So I asked the hostess, again thinking "Don't puke on the staff. Don't puke on the staff." I made it all the way into the bathroom stall before I let loose.

Afterward, I felt great!! I remember thinking "I should have done this last night - I might have gotten some sleep." The rest of the day was a big success.

Several years later, when I'd been promoted once or twice and had a firm standing at the company that could withstand a little self-deprecation, I told the whole story to a couple of my fellow junior execs and my/our boss. My boss was absolutely shocked by the whole story and admitted he'd had no clue that I was feeling unwell. My colleagues listening to the story, whom I'd also met on that same day, agreed that they'd never have guessed. They all found the thought of me hustling away from the table to barf utterly, side-splittingly hilarious.

That was the first time I'd puked in ages, and after that experience it's never held quite the same power over me that it did when I was a kid.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

The Monday after the Super Bowl I woke up with a horribly sour stomach. Thought I was hung over. Rolled over and slept for another hour.

Woke up again and felt worse. Spent the next six hours making frequent trips to the bathroom. Felt worse and worse as time wore on. "This isn't a hangover" began to dawn on me.

I'd eaten a variety of unhealthy foods at a Super Bowl party, and then a half-dozen of us had gone to a bar for afters. Four of the six who went to afters were horribly ill the next day. For me, my Monday kept getting worse and worse. Knowing I needed to re-hydrate, I drank some Gatorade, and immediately puked that back up. Switched to water, and that stayed down....for an hour, then more puking. I spent the day between bed and bathroom feeling like death in a bucket. Thought I had food poisoning.

Finally tried to eat some rice and drink some water about 10:30 that night. No go. Puking by 11:30.

Next morning, felt a little better, but not great. Went to doctor. Doctor did some bloodwork, noted a fever, prescribed rest and ice chips. Tuesday was also not a fun day. Didn't eat a thing besides ice. Felt better, but not great. Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday felt much better and back to normal...except for cramping and soreness in my stomach, probably from forcibly extracting its contents for a couple of days.

This Monday, got the verdict: norovirus, from the bar we did afters at the Super Bowl at. There were apparently a lot of regulars at that bar that evening after the Super Bowl, and nearly 2/3rds of us had the same thing happen and no one was eating there. Turns out, noro is sweeping through the DC area, and now apparently up and down the eastern seaboard. Be wary of even washing your hands in public restrooms at this point, as it may not be enough. I've never been a Purell guy, but I am for the foreseeable future.
"It's my manner, sir. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really."
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Yep, thread title got me again.

For fun I'll add: When experiencing diarrhea, DO NOT take a muscle relaxant (in this case, an expired sample of Robaxacet that arrived in the mail) to try to relieve the discomfort of frequent bathroom trips. I did, and it resulted in five straight hours of gastrointestinal duress. You know, that feeling of wanting to die when your stomach is upset, but you haven't passed anything yet/finished? Certain muscles were so relaxed they couldn't do their job. Without a doubt, that was the worst night of my life.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
mori

Post by mori »

stessier wrote:The streak died at 10:23pm CT today. Long live the streak!

The wife relived Metalhead's worst day yesterday - albeit in nicer, more private surroundings. Being the good husband, I was there to help out. 24 hours later, it struck like a coiled serpent from the weeds. I fought for two hours, but in the end, the virus won. I'm still having really weird intestinal cramping, but hope the worst is past.

Oh, and it absolutely was as bad as I remembered it.
You live in WI and puking is not a weekly occurence or at least monthly? You definately would not be mistaken as a native cheesehead.
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Well my streak of 5 years ended yesterday. Just a miserable early morning until early evening. Runs constantly and hurled 4 times...which may not sound like much but generally when I have the stomach viruses I only puke once, at most twice. I hope it's not contagious I do not want the rest of the family getting ths.
Odin

Post by Odin »

I think it's hilarious and a bit frightening that we have a whole thread devoted to tracking vomit.
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

Two year old son caught a stomach bug yesterday. I was in the front lines, scrubbing puke out of the carpet. Which means my seven year streak could be on the line in the next couple of days....
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Odin wrote:I think it's hilarious and a bit frightening that we have a whole thread devoted to tracking vomit.
Well, it sounds to me like it might be necessary to make people realize that vomiting isn't a thing to fear. It always bothers me to see adult people talking about how they never puke, often in the same sentence where they mention how incredibly shitty they feel right now. Vomiting can be a somewhat frightening (I can't breathe!) and very uncomfortable experience, but it's over in a couple of minutes and almost always leads to hours of feeling good afterwards. Not vomiting just means that you're in constant discomfort and are forcing your body to not do the one thing that it wants to do to ease the pain.

When I get hit by the flu and feel really bad, I tend to lie in bed looking forward to my first bout of vomiting so that I can get a few hours respite from the nausea.
Insert witty comment here.
Odin

Post by Odin »

TiLT wrote:When I get hit by the flu and feel really bad, I tend to lie in bed looking forward to my first bout of vomiting so that I can get a few hours respite from the nausea.
Actually, this is a pretty common misconception. Influenza is a respiratory illness, characterized by coughing, fever, extreme fatigue, and a sudden onset of symptoms. If you're feeling nausea the need to vomit, you probably don't have the flu (or you don't JUST have the flu).
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Well...no.
Some people may have vomiting and diarrhea, though this is more common in children than adults.
I think you just called TiLT a child. :wink:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Well I wasn't going to chime in, but since you brought it up.... (pun intended)

We just had an epidemic of this in the YK household. It started innocently enough. Baby won't eat at daycare last Friday. Fussy. Brought him home, he spit up a bit but not enough for us to think much about it.

Monday I go into work as usual. Start feeling bad. By lunchtime, I tell the boss I need to work from home the rest of the day. Spend the afternoon on the couch with my laptop feeling increasingly dire.
Monday evening I still don't feel like eating, so my wife brings me a milkshake. BAD IDEA. I spent the next three hours hurling up chocolate milkshake and everything else that remained in my stomach.

After the nausea I dealt with excruciating stomach cramps and back pain. Stayed home Tuesday but started recovering quickly and thought I was out of the woods.

Until.....Tuesday afternoon I get a call from daycare. My daughter is throwing up. Go pick her up, spend the entire evening watching her vomit her guts out. Then late Tuesday my wife starts feeling bad. I end up working from home Wednesday so I can take care of those two.

Thursday morning everyone was finally better, but my week was completely shot.

After all was said and done, I realized that in a span of 3 days I had eaten:

- One breakfast roll (expelled)
- One milkshake (expelled)
- One chicken sandwich
- One small bag of popcorn
- One Cadbury egg.

That was a nasty bug!
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

The streak is dead June 18, 11:30am (approx)

Long live The Streak!

Gastroenteritis (aka the culprit in Metelhed's Worst Day) struck shortly after waking up Monday morning. Luckily, I had warning and didn't attempt to go to work. Also, I'd only eaten a small meal the night before. Round 1 was dry heaves only - thought the worst was over...but no such luck. Round 1 reminded me to puke into the trashcan and sit on the toilet. Round 2 expelled more liquids than I remembered consuming that morning. For 24 hours, I was awake for maybe 7.5 of them.

Once applesauce stayed down about 4pm, I figured we were on the upswing. The road to victory was assured once gas was passed without having to sit on the toilet.
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Glad you're feeling better. Long live the streak!
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

*urp*...arise!

Only 1 year and 2 months this time. Had a horrible day yesterday on into the last puke at midnight. Just nasty.
nasai

Post by nasai »

Last time I puked was August 1997 until about a month ago.

Note to self: Do *not* consume mass quantities of Oreo cookies prior to unleashing projectile vomit. I kid you not. The wall behind me looked like a Bugs Bunny cartoon, where they leave an outline in the glass/wall where they broke through. A gooey mass of blackened Oreo/stomach contents in a curious outline around my formerly wretching self.

Awesomesauce.
Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."
nasai

Post by nasai »

Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

:oops:

My last 'incident' was many months ago and wasn't recorded. I felt fine getting up and going to work - and then started feeling unwell an hour into my shift and it accelerated rapidly until I hardly had time to grab the trashcan under my desk and hurl into it, repeatedly. I vomited a few more times, felt like someone had run me through a meat grinder, and left for home. Two hours later, you would have never known. I felt fine again.

My wife got hit by the same thing about a week after I did. She went to bed feeling okay, woke up feeling terrible in the middle of the night and barely made it to the bathroom. She then rolled around on the floor of our room in agony while periodically vomiting until a couple hours passed and she was fine.

No clue.
Black Lives Matter