concerts....who you seeing?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

YellowKing

Re: concerts....who you seeing?

Post by YellowKing »

Sudy wrote:Hopefully I also get a bracelet or lanyard that synchronizes with the show.
Be sure to dress up as your favorite album! :lol:
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I’m always fascinated at the descriptions of these big budget shows form mainstream artists. Part of me thinks that might be cool to be a part of, while part of me looks at such a tightly scripted, choreographed event and thinks “hard pass”.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I know I'd want good seats or floor. Went to Arcade Fire a decade ago. Seats were in the nosebleeds of a hockey arena. Still expensive as beans. Think we bought tickets as soon as they went on sale too. But I guess after the pre-sale. Needed opera glasses.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

went to see Nils Frahm last week on a whim; turned out to be a worthwhile show.

i just saw today that Tangerine Dream is embarking on a US tour, so i am going - despite the fact that the group is basically an official tribute band at this point with zero original members (Edgar Froese, who had been in it from the beginning in 1968, died in 2017) and the current senior-most member has only been in TD since 2005. even Ulrich Schnauss is out, replaced by a new guy in 2020. however, the ticket prices were very reasonable as a result of this and they're still a highly talented ensemble of musicians (and yes, releasing new albums).
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

YellowKing wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:58 pm Well, we're back from seeing Taylor Swift and the verdict is....wow.
I've had a hotel room across from Lumen Field in Seattle booked for months and I've been watching StubHub... today I made the call that we're not going to be able to go and cancelled the reservation. StubHub tickets have been gradually trending up in price and they're now at $2300 each. No way I'm spending $6K+ to see Taylor when we already saw her in 2015.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Khemmis with Conjurer (UK) and Wake (Alberta) was amazing! By far the heaviest concert I've been to. (But I haven't been to many.) A ton of energy and skill on stage. I was less jazzed by what I'd heard from Conjurer (progressive doom sludge post-metal) before the concert as while they can be hard as fuck, their post-rock and progressive elements take a while to get into, and a week just wasn't long enough. But they were insane live. Great dual vocalists/guitars. The bassist jumped down from the stage and played the end of their last song in the middle of the floor after running all over shouting at the crowd. Wake (black/death, evolved from a grindcore band) was outstanding and is the band I may come out liking most. They had almost as many tempo changes as Conjurer, making them both a bit difficult to headbang to without looking stupid, but you make do. I nearly rocked my head off for the never-ending rift at the beginning of Khemmis's The Bereaved. It tears a fucking groove. It helped being considerably high on weed throughout. Perhaps a little too high as it was too easy to lose concentration and daydream. But still a great experience.

May post some expanded thoughts and clips tomorrow.

Oh, picked up this bitchin shirt:

Enlarge Image

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I'm going to see the premiere of a new Danny Elfman composition tomorrow that the Library of Congress commissioned. And go to a pre concert talk with him as well. I'm excited!
Hodor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh man, I'm jealous. Do post an AAR!
He won. Period.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Sudy wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 3:09 am Khemmis with Conjurer (UK) and Wake (Alberta) was amazing! ...

May post some expanded thoughts and clips tomorrow.
I think Wake (Calgary, Alberta) impressed me the most of anyone on the ticket. I could tell I was going to like them as I sampled their music in the week leading up to the concert. They began as a grindcore band but have evolved into black/death. They have a lot of tempo changes, and the heaviness is layered over what I think of as a post-rock/post-metal melody. No theatrics, just straight-up metalling their fucking hearts out. I wish I'd gotten one of their tees, but I don't really like their logo lol.

Enlarge Image

Wake - Infinite Inward

Thoughts on the other acts later... maybe.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Oh shit, enjoy the concert Sp!!

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Sudy wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:31 am Oh shit, enjoy the concert Sp!!
I'm like a damn kid before Christmas right now. :lol: Can't focus on any of my work, but only have one more meeting to get through before heading out.

Ogre posted this morning that there was a stage mishap at the Minneapolis show that knocked out FOUR of his bottom teeth. They played the following day. :shock: On the last tour, some asshole jumped him in the venue parking lot in Philly and broke his jaw. He still played the show that night. Dude is a trooper for sure.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Peter Murphy is doing a tour consisting solely of Bowie covers this fall.
Once on the road, Murphy will be joined by an elite Bowie tribute band led by the tour’s brainchild, Angelo “Scorte” Bundini, and featuring Adrian Belew (King Crimson), Royston Langdon (Spacehog), Matt McJunkins (A Perfect Circle), Jeff Friedl (Devo, A Perfect Circle), Ron Dziubla, and Eric Schermerhorn. The tour will on Bowie’s “Ziggy Stardust proto punk era, his Berlin trilogy records (Low, Heroes, and Lodger), and his later Trent Reznor infused years.”
That's either going to be absolutely incredible or a complete disaster.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 4:36 pm Peter Murphy is doing a tour consisting solely of Bowie covers this fall.
Once on the road, Murphy will be joined by an elite Bowie tribute band led by the tour’s brainchild, Angelo “Scorte” Bundini, and featuring Adrian Belew (King Crimson), Royston Langdon (Spacehog), Matt McJunkins (A Perfect Circle), Jeff Friedl (Devo, A Perfect Circle), Ron Dziubla, and Eric Schermerhorn. The tour will on Bowie’s “Ziggy Stardust proto punk era, his Berlin trilogy records (Low, Heroes, and Lodger), and his later Trent Reznor infused years.”
That's either going to be absolutely incredible or a complete disaster.
if "Station to Station" was in the setlist, i would be into that. don't see the Tacoma show listed on TicketBastard, tho
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Sudy wrote:Lead into Gold and Skinny Puppy were outstanding! SP played 20 songs for only the third time on the tour so far. I got to meet Paul Barker! My feet hurt! More at eleven.
I am jealous. One of my high school friends saw Skinny Puppy in the late 80s and loved it. Also a big Ministry fan seeing them at Lalapalooza 2 and laughing at the gal behind me on the lawn remarking she’d never seen someone bounce so hard to a fast beat while watching a band before (the song was Stigmata).
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

What an amazing show that was. For my money, there’s simply no other band that puts on a stage show quite like Puppy. No one.

I think that when Ogre emerged from behind the screen with half his head torn off, skin flap hanging down, and his brain exposed while they transitioned into “Worlock” is one of my favorite concert moments ever. Just a brilliant performance and setlist from start to finish. They ended with “Candle” , which is one of my all-time favorite SP songs and a fitting ending. There were a couple songs I wish they would have played (they skipped “Love In Vein”, “Smothered Hope”, and “Testure”), but it was otherwise perfect.

While it’s bittersweet that I’ll never get to see my favorite band live again, I’m thrilled they went out on such an amazing high note. Truly a show for the ages.

(We only caught two of Lead Into Gold songs because the merch line was so long. :()
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Luckily the last two Lead into Gold songs are the best IMO. Though I gained a greater respect for all of the ones Paul played. Yeah the merch line was obscene. I gave up waiting before the show. Somehow still snagged a 2XL SP tour T-shirt at the end though. And of course got to meet Paul and get a signed LP from him.

I'd be so bummed if they hadn't played Smothered Hope! Probably my favourite song after Solvent. Especially the Ministry collaboration, which the tour version was probably the closest to, as heavy as I felt like they were playing.

The theatrics were insane. I wish I hadn't been quite as high, but I'm glad I was a little.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

It's so strange to ponder being here for the (presumed, formal) end of their career. To consider that Remission was released the year I was born. How I became a fan closer to that date than to today. That I was just trying to like what the cool kids at school liked, at the beginning. How the members of the band were so young when they began, barely older than I was then. How, as I've grown, I've begun looking down on people younger than me. Death. All that stuff.

It's 4:09 AM, it's existential crisis time.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Sudy wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 4:09 am It's so strange to ponder being here for the (presumed, formal) end of their career. To consider that Remission was released the year I was born. How I became a fan closer to that date than to today. That I was just trying to like what the cool kids at school liked, at the beginning. How the members of the band were so young when they began, barely older than I was then. How, as I've grown, I've begun looking down on people younger than me. Death. All that stuff.

It's 4:09 AM, it's existential crisis time.
Similar thoughts definitely crossed my mind last night. I've been listening to SP for over 30 years now. They've been my favorite band since I was around 16 years old, and I'm nearly 49. That's one hell of a long time to have a soundtrack in your life. It hit pretty hard as the last notes of "Candle" faded out that, well...that was it.

I'm very hopeful that both Kevins keep making music, even if I don't get to see them as SP again.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

no setlist spoilers!!

(i'm going to the final show in Seattle on Tuesday)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

going by advice (from here!) i got to the venue as soon as doors opened and got in the merch line immediately - still took 20 minutes (i splurged and bought the tour hoodie, which i _never_ do. and it's even a pull-over style, bleh). i was *really* close to the front - maybe about 5 'rows' away? this lead to some regret later, as i felt the sound was too muddy that close to the stage and maybe i should have gone further back. also i got hit in the head with some metal thing somebody threw from the back, and that ... kinda hurt. and there was some stupid argument that erupted and some meathead kept trying to push his way to the front - the usual dumb concert crap - but this was the most low-key concert from this group i've seen, and i actually started getting kinda bored near the end. the guitarist did give a little speech before the encore about how this was the final show and how everyone was emotional about it, and after encore there was a lot of hugging and group photos with the audience being taken. unfortunately i wasn't aggressive enough at the end when a box full of metal medallions were just handed to the audience for everyone to rummage through and take, so i didn't get one. so yeah, it was strangely kind of a let down which i was not expecting, but the encore set was fun and really felt like a definitive last stand (BUT NO SMOTHERED HOPE)

i liked the new Lead Into Gold material and i was pondering going back into the merch line to get the new album, but it was again faaaaar too long. i did run into some people i haven't seen in a long time at the show.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Glad you had a good time, but sad you didn't have a better time! We didn't get any medallions. But we did get Smothered Hope!

The line to see Paul Barker after my show was only fifteen minutes or so, and he spent a minute or two with each person. They split the lines, so if you only wanted to meet Paul and buy his stuff you didn't have to wait in the longer SP merch line. Kinda felt bad for him as his was a lot shorter lol. Even though the guy's a frigging legend.

The new album is great, but IMO it doesn't have quite the energy and lift of The Sun Behind the Sun, which I adore. But it's great in its own right. It's so easy to feel it as the refined atmosphere and tone Ministry has so sorely lacked since Paul left. (But it's allowed Al to do some thrash stuff that isn't bad IMO.)

Definitely going to go down as an amazing memory for me, but I don't have the concert experience of you guys.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Dang, sorry it wasn't a better show.
hitbyambulance wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:57 am i was *really* close to the front - maybe about 5 'rows' away? this lead to some regret later, as i felt the sound was too muddy that close to the stage and maybe i should have gone further back. also i got hit in the head with some metal thing somebody threw from the back, and that ... kinda hurt. and there was some stupid argument that erupted and some meathead kept trying to push his way to the front - the usual dumb concert crap -
Interestingly, this was probably the best sounding show out of the 5 times I've seen them. We were standing about halfway back and the mix was perfect. I was super-impressed and very grateful. A couple other folks on FB made mention of how stellar the sound was for the SLC show...sounds like it wasn't that way for everyone, unfortunately.

I have given up entirely on getting up front for shows. I simply don't enjoy it anymore. Between getting crunched, kicked in the head by crowd surfers, dealing with moron meatheads, and usually far worse sound, it's just not worth the effort. I'm perfectly fine to chill somewhere in the middle. :)
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ed Sheeran in June. I got free tickets and honestly I really don't like him at all, but it's free and my wife and daughter like him. So as long as they have beer I'll be fine. I tried listening to his music the last two days to work and aside from 2-3 songs I think it's elevator music. :P

On a brighter note I also grabbed lawn seats to see the Smashing Pumpkins in late August. I haven't heard anything of their newer stuff, but as long as they mix in a bunch of the old stuff I'll be good.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Octavious wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:47 am Ed Sheeran in June. I got free tickets and honestly I really don't like him at all, but it's free and my wife and daughter like him. So as long as they have beer I'll be fine. I tried listening to his music the last two days to work and aside from 2-3 songs I think it's elevator music. :P

On a brighter note I also grabbed lawn seats to see the Smashing Pumpkins in late August. I haven't heard anything of their newer stuff, but as long as they mix in a bunch of the old stuff I'll be good.
He should co-headline with Cradle of Filth.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

LiveNation $25 promo sale this week https://www.livenation.com/promotion/concertweek a whole lotta garbage on there (including actual Garbage lol) but i am now going to see Duran Duran (for the first time ever) next week. also picked up the Rob Zombie/Alice Cooper/Ministry/Filter one, even though it's in a sucky suburban location - and i'm making sure to arrive late so i miss Filter and leave early so i miss Rob.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Only show for $25 I was interested in locally was Barenaked Ladies, so we may go to that one. We saw them many years ago when Steven Page was still with them. I don't know how they are without him but I assume they still put on a fun show.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

YellowKing wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:46 pm Only show for $25 I was interested in locally was Barenaked Ladies, so we may go to that one. We saw them many years ago when Steven Page was still with them. I don't know how they are without him but I assume they still put on a fun show.
We're going to that concert just to see Del Amitri. We'll bail after them.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I can't believe you guys go to shows late and/or leave early to only see some of the acts. Not a criticism; I'm just cheap and I guess I haven't been to enough concerts to consider that. If I'm going to a show where I don't know the acts I stream their stuff on Spotify frequently in the weeks before. But I guess if you just can't stand one of them....

I'm tempted to go to the Filter/Ministry/Cooper/Zombie show, but I hate big venues and really only want to see Ministry and Cooper. If I can get my buddy interested he'd probably be there for the other two. Wouldn't mind seeing Filter perform Hey Man, Nice Shot though.

stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Sudy wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 6:28 pm I can't believe you guys go to shows late and/or leave early to only see some of the acts. Not a criticism; I'm just cheap and I guess I haven't been to enough concerts to consider that. If I'm going to a show where I don't know the acts I stream their stuff on Spotify frequently in the weeks before. But I guess if you just can't stand one of them....

I'm tempted to go to the Filter/Ministry/Cooper/Zombie show, but I hate big venues and really only want to see Ministry and Cooper. If I can get my buddy interested he'd probably be there for the other two. Wouldn't mind seeing Filter perform Hey Man, Nice Shot though.
I'm old and have very little interest in trying to like bands I know I dont or wont like.
Plus, it takes something or someone special to get me off my ass and outta the house.
Not to say I dont like newer music, but it's few and far between these days.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hitbyambulance wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:20 pm LiveNation $25 promo sale this week https://www.livenation.com/promotion/concertweek a whole lotta garbage on there (including actual Garbage lol) but i am now going to see Duran Duran (for the first time ever) next week. also picked up the Rob Zombie/Alice Cooper/Ministry/Filter one, even though it's in a sucky suburban location - and i'm making sure to arrive late so i miss Filter and leave early so i miss Rob.
Thanks for the heads-up on this. I had been waiting to buy Ghost/Amon Amarth tickets to see if the prices came down. The seats that were $75 last week are $25 this week.

Sucks that two of the shows I'd really like to see (Kreator/Sepultura and Nekrogoblikon/Inferi/Aether Realm) are both the week that I'll be on my cruise. :( I'm also bummed that Alestorm and Gloryhammer both turned out to be a bunch of racist misogynists, because their shows were always a ton of fun. Not going to send any $$ their way though.
Sudy wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 6:28 pm I can't believe you guys go to shows late and/or leave early to only see some of the acts. Not a criticism; I'm just cheap and I guess I haven't been to enough concerts to consider that. If I'm going to a show where I don't know the acts I stream their stuff on Spotify frequently in the weeks before. But I guess if you just can't stand one of them....

I usually go to the entire shows to support all the bands, but there have been a few openers I haven't particularly hurried to get there on time to attend. I think the only "headliner" I've ever walked out on was KMFDM. We were really just there to see Ohgr opening anyways, and KMFDM blows.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Correction:

Enlarge Image

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Sudy wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 6:28 pm really only want to see Ministry and Cooper
this is precisely the reason. Filter sucks and Rob is not a good person (won't get into that discussion here, but he really screwed over Sean and J [from White Zombie])
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

tangent - there really needs to be a musical theater production made from a collaboration between "Weird Al" Yankovic and Alice Cooper. i think that end result would work out very well.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Between sets of TMBG at HoB Dallas. Only took three years.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I'd like to see the Elvis Costello/Nick Lowe/Los Straitjackets show coming to town next month, but I won't be anywhere near here. I've seen Elvis before, and Los Straitjackets 3-4 times, but not Lowe.
Black Lives Matter
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 10:23 pm Between sets of TMBG at HoB Dallas. Only took three years.
Had our three-year-delayed TMBG show in Portland a month or two back. Really enjoyed it even though it was the 15th time I've seen them. :shock:

Seeing the Sisters of Mercy tonight. They've been playing 10 new songs on this tour which makes me wonder why they don't release a new album already. I've seen them twice before and their shows can vary in quality - we'll see which version we get tonight.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

This was my first for TMBG. My HS buddy who introduced me to Flood and I really enjoyed it.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:20 pm Sucks that two of the shows I'd really like to see (Kreator/Sepultura and Nekrogoblikon/Inferi/Aether Realm) are both the week that I'll be on my cruise. :( I'm also bummed that Alestorm and Gloryhammer both turned out to be a bunch of racist misogynists, because their shows were always a ton of fun. Not going to send any $$ their way though.
Yeah, Alestorm is pretty much ruined for me. I don't know if I'll ever be able to forgive them. I mean, not when there's so much other music to enjoy and explore. I'll continue to revisit Gloryhammer albums, especially as the last one was so great. At least it's Winkler's voice, not Bowes's. but I have very little interest in listening to Alestorm, especially when I don't care for their later-era party band stuff as much. I'll always have a soft spot for Captain Morgan's Revenge though, back when they were a more serious silly band.

Desperately want to see Aether Realm but I'll wait till they're headlining. The show's sold out anyway, and I was turned off when I read the lyrics to Hunt the Dinosaur's porno song. I thought about Kreator/Sepultura but I don't really have a connection with either other than liking the latter's Chaos A.D. back when it was literally a different band. Thought I could maybe talk my buddy into going though, but then I realized it's one of my anniversaries.

I'm going to see Howling Giant/Ruby the Hatchet/Elder though! I'm not huge into any of them but I realized I had a few of their songs saved on Spotify, and I'm itching to see some stoner rock/doom. I'm a little bummed that I realized after I bought the ticket that Elder's more of a progressive post-metal band now (not that that's bad, but it was a couple of their earlier doom songs I dug). I've been listening to each of them lately though, and I like what I hear!

I'm also debating Sunset Rubdown as their Dragonslayer (2009) was one of my favourite indie rock albums of the era, but it seems like a solo show with doors not until 8:30 and I'd rather not take transit all the way downtown for just one band and a 90-minute set. Edit: OK I should probably consider this. It's the first time the band has performed since 2009 and I'd forgotten how much this album meant to me. Edit 2: Yeah I searched my feelings and bought tickets. Holy shit I didn't realize how much my late-aughts music life revolved around several key Jagjaguwar bands/releases. The Besnard Lakes, Black Mountain, Okkervil River, and most significantly Parts & Labor.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Danzig touring with Behemoth in the fall. That’d be a fun one, bummed it’s not coming here.

Tickets go on sale next Tuesday for the 2024 70,000 Tons of Metal cruise. We’ll be back on board next January. Can’t wait!
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Exodor wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 11:06 pm
Seeing the Sisters of Mercy tonight. They've been playing 10 new songs on this tour which makes me wonder why they don't release a new album already.
according to the website (which has been barely updated since 1999 or so) there are now at least 20 in rotation, so there could even be two new albums:

https://www.the-sisters-of-mercy.com/news/livenews.html
Featuring, at some point:

KICKLINE (Christo/Eldritch/Smith)
ARE WE GOING TO BE BAD? (Christo/Eldritch/Smith/Varjak)
BETTER REPTILE (Christo/Eldritch/Smith)
SHOW ME (Christo/Eldritch/Smith)
JUST ACHING (Christo/Eldritch/Smith)
BUT GENEVIEVE (Christo/Eldritch/Smith)
EYES OF CALIGULA (Christo/Eldritch/Smith)
WE ARE ON THIS PLANE (Christo/Eldritch/Smith)
BLACK SAIL (Christo/Eldritch/Smith)
I WILL CALL YOU (Christo/Eldritch/Smith)
LEFT ON VENOM AND REVENGE (Christo/Eldritch/Smith)
SHE'S A MONSTER (Christo/Eldritch/Smith)
WHEN I'M ON FIRE (Christo/Eldritch/Smith)
QUANTUM BABY (Christo/Eldritch/Smith)
DON'T DRIVE ON ICE (Christo/Eldritch/Smith)
SIX WAYS TO SUNDAY (Christo/Eldritch/Smith)
ON THE BEACH
THE SECOND SONG OF MOSES
RAY RAY
THERE'S A DOOR

etc
based on what i've read in the past, Andrew really hates the whole album recording process, so it may never happen. c'est la vie!

also, i went to the Seattle show last Sunday - found a ticket on Stubhub for $21 + fees 40 minutes before the opener went on, so i just decided to go for that. i was surprised the whole stage _wasn't_ blocked out in smoke machine fog.

(interestingly, the opener, A Cloud of Ravens, is also opening for Clan of Xymox in a couple weeks)