concerts....who you seeing?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

gbasden

Re: concerts....who you seeing?

Post by gbasden »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:09 pm Danny Elfman Halloween weekend (a *** HUGE *** deal for Boingo fans who used to plan Halloween around Oingo Boingo's legendary Halloween performances at the Irvine Ampitheater back in the day).
Those shows were so incredible!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My brother got me a ticket for DAWES next weekend. I wouldn't say I'm a super huge fan, but I like several of their songs and they put on a great show. We have a local amphitheater venue that is very small on a lake. The bad news is that it's so small that most shows sell out instantly. The good news is that if you can get a ticket, you're in for an absolute treat. There's literally not a bad seat in the place, and it's so intimate that it makes practically any show a great time.

Then on the 29th I'm going to see a band that I am a huge fan of, The War on Drugs. First time for them coming to town I believe. A couple of years ago they build a new concert venue downtown so we're finally able to attract some bigger bands.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Spent this past weekend in Chicago for Riot Fest. We saw Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Nine Inch Nails, My Chemical Romance, Sleater-Kinney and a whole bunch of smaller bands. It was my first multi-day festival and I had a blast.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Exodor wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:17 am Spent this past weekend in Chicago for Riot Fest. We saw Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Nine Inch Nails, My Chemical Romance, Sleater-Kinney and a whole bunch of smaller bands. It was my first multi-day festival and I had a blast.
Congrats on making it out alive!!!
I was only there on Friday, mainly just to see Rocket From the Crypt.
They kicked ass, as usual.

Busy couple of weeks for me.

If you've ever heard of Dada, the guitarist is playing a 70 person house gig on Friday.
Here is his latest, which is very good and very Dada-ish:

Saturday is an all day fest for a local rock station.
This is mainly for the wife, as I have very little interest in any of the bands:
Shinedown, Falling In Reverse, Jelly Roll, Jackyl, Saliva, Royal Bliss, Through Fire, Lilith Czar.

Next Friday is Megadeth.
Next Wednesday is Iron Maiden.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

stimpy wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:36 am Congrats on making it out alive!!!
I was only there on Friday, mainly just to see Rocket From the Crypt.
They kicked ass, as usual.
The crowd for MCR was rough. We got there during Taking Back Sunday (ie 2 bands before them) and it was already belly-to-back tight - and we weren't particularly close (behind the sound booth tents). When MCR finally hit the stage the crowd compacted even more with a river of people rushing toward the stage. Fortunately after the first few times they asked us to step back our area got a little more breathing room but not a lot.

I'm pretty sure that show is where I picked up COVID. :(

Worth it. :mrgreen:
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i might see if Grace Jones tickets are going for cheaper than advertised price tonight on StubHub (night of show). opted out of Heilung last night since the ticket prices did not go down.

Portion Control (and Stromkern) on Friday
Front 242 and Light Asylum in a week and a half (heard this was 242's last N. American tour?)

got a free ticket to The Avalanches last week
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Kurth wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:23 pm Spoon/Interpol playing in Portland on 9/18. Two of my favorite bands doing a dual-headlining tour. So excited for this!
Just popping back in here to say that this show was amazing. Spoon opened, followed by Interpol. Both bands played a great mix of new and old stuff, but with a definite edge to some of their classics.

If you like either of these bands and have a chance to catch them live, I highly recommend it.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I have tickets to see Final Fantasy New World (a chamber music troupe playing FF songs live) show this Sunday, but fear that COVID's going to put the kibosh on that.

So incredibly disappointed. :(
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Sunday night took my daughter to see My Chemical Romance in Portland. She's been dreaming about seeing them for 5+ years and they put on a great show. Monday we drove up to the Tacoma Dome to see them play again where they played a significantly different setlist (thankfully). Was a lot of fun and both crowds were intense.

We'll be seeing them again in Vegas in a few weeks as part of the When We Were Young festival. :mrgreen:
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

UP THE IRONS!!!!!
Tonight.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Hoodoo Gurus just announced their '23 tour. May 10 in Nashville. I'll be getting tickets when they go on sale

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

stimpy wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:44 pm UP THE IRONS!!!!!
Tonight.
Neighbor saw Maiden here a couple weeks ago. Said it was a fantastic show.

Have fun!
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:20 pm
stimpy wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:44 pm UP THE IRONS!!!!!
Tonight.
Neighbor saw Maiden here a couple weeks ago. Said it was a fantastic show.

Have fun!
It was a great show.
Amazes me the energy these guys continue to have.
The new songs sounded really good and blended in with the classics just fine.
Stage show was outstanding, as usual.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Raise your hand if you remember a late-70's band named Off Broadway? Because I'm going to see them (again) in a few weeks. When I last saw them at Chicago Fest (circa 1980), they were young bucks like me. My wife liked the YouTube videos I played, but one, a recent performance at Fitzgeralds in Berwyn, she commented they looked like her residents (nursing home). They managed to sound ok though in the video we saw.
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

So what're you guys' thoughts on concert-going these days? I haven't been to one since before the pandemic, but I'm tempted to go to one on Saturday. (Mostly local power/heavy metal bands Crimson Shadows, Ammo, and Villain, but also Wisconsin's Lords of the Trident. I saw Crimson Shadows open for Alestorm and like some of their stuff, but the other bands are new to me.)

Covid cases seem to be climbing slightly locally, but they remain pretty low as they have for the past several months. I realize this is going to vary regionally, but do you mask for the full show? (Which really protects others from you more than anything unless you have a well fitting [i.e. no beard] N95 or better I'm betting.) Throw caution to the wind? Or are you still avoiding concerts entirely, whether you/your loved ones have health conditions or not? (I realize most of those who continue to abstain probably aren't checking this thread much.) I'm quadruple-vaccinated with my last booster at the end of July, when the new omicron vaccine obviously wasn't out yet. Haven't had covid yet but don't really want to spread it to my wife if I do come down with it.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I think about and then I don't do it. I almost saw my first show since 2019 this week... almost...
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Sudy wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:33 am So what're you guys' thoughts on concert-going these days? I haven't been to one since before the pandemic, but I'm tempted to go to one on Saturday. (Mostly local power/heavy metal bands Crimson Shadows, Ammo, and Villain, but also Wisconsin's Lords of the Trident. I saw Crimson Shadows open for Alestorm and like some of their stuff, but the other bands are new to me.)

Covid cases seem to be climbing slightly locally, but they remain pretty low as they have for the past several months. I realize this is going to vary regionally, but do you mask for the full show? (Which really protects others from you more than anything unless you have a well fitting [i.e. no beard] N95 or better I'm betting.) Throw caution to the wind? Or are you still avoiding concerts entirely, whether you/your loved ones have health conditions or not? (I realize most of those who continue to abstain probably aren't checking this thread much.) I'm quadruple-vaccinated with my last booster at the end of July, when the new omicron vaccine obviously wasn't out yet. Haven't had covid yet but don't really want to spread it to my wife if I do come down with it.
In late August, I spent 3 days in Vegas. Surrounded by thousands of people moshing and singing, and didn't catch anything.

I went back to Vegas two weeks later for a work conference with 400 people just sitting around conference tables all day and came home with COVID.

So...¯\_(ツ)_/¯
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I haven't gone to concerts in ages (for both COVID and non-COVID reasons), and I'm not ready to go to concerts yet (I might consider outdoor, but not indoor). If I did go, though, I'd wear a mask the whole time. I'm pretty used to it, and even being in relatively conscientious Chicago I'm used to being the Lone Masker. By way of example, I made plans to go with friends to an Oktoberfest party being held by a local brewery a few weeks ago. Outdoors, food trucks, glass stein with four fills included with admission - sounded great! I missed the e-mail they sent out where they had a change in plans and were going to hold it indoors, so when we got there and were herded indoors I put my mask on and just pulled it down briefly to take a drink or have a bite. I saw one other person wearing a mask (a poorly fitting fabric mask, for all that was doing her - it was nicely embroidered, though).

Come to think of it, they had bands playing. Does that count as a concert?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Sudy wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:33 am I realize this is going to vary regionally, but do you mask for the full show? (Which really protects others from you more than anything unless you have a well fitting [i.e. no beard] N95 or better I'm betting.)
to concerts, i wear one of these

https://store.cyberweld.com/3m-half-fac ... 502ql.html

with these filters

https://store.cyberweld.com/3mparefi20p1.html

yeah you're going to get some stares and no one is going to be able to understand what you say, but i personally don't worry about contracting any upper-respiratory infection while wearing one of these (and i am a 'high-worry' type). and yeah, you're supposed to cover the out vent port with a surgical mask - but if no one else is masking, they must not be very concerned...

if you want to be comprehensible, get one of these instead:

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/v100837635/
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

hell, i forgot about the New Order / Pet Shop Boys concert tonight
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Thanks for sharing your thoughts guys. I went to the concert last night and I'm really glad I did, it was a ton of fun. About 5% masking at the concert and 20% on public transportation so probably not the safest decision, but neither were super packed on a Saturday evening. I suspect things will be much more dicey during the winter concert season, so I'm glad I got out now. Beers were $10.25 CAD ($7.38 USD with the weak Canadian dollar), which actually felt cheap considering inflation. Cans were more expensive at pre-pandemic Jays games. But I only had one to stave off dehydration and cottonmouth... mostly my chemical entertainment was provided by a fifth of a gram of cannabis I smoked before entering and four 10mg lozenges I sucked on throughout the night.

The whole thing was definitely interesting from a sociological perspective. It's the smallest metal show I've been to, and as it was primarily heavy metal there were a lot of grey-hairs. Which made me feel more comfortable. I did feel lacking in cred though, as I chopped off my long hair about a month ago. There were the old-school metalheads, the hipsters, the middle-aged version of the trench coat mafia, the college kids, and the eerily clean-cut loners. A decent mix of ages and genders. (I.e. only 80% white dudes.) A lot of them seemed to know each other.

The venue was Lee's Palace (Toronto), which hosted RHCP in '86 and Nirvana in '90.

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

The lineup:

Ammo - A ton of fun, but pretty generic. They make me think of Strong Bad's Limozeen lol. I really fell in love with their EP the last few days.

Villain - I was least captivated by this band while studying up, but they really lit it up... the lead singer is an excellent showman.

Lords of the Trident - Charming and funny and on top of their game, this Wisconsin act is the embodiment of "generic theatrical power metal band", but that's by no means a bad thing, especially when you're concert-starved. This was their final show before returning home. Then they're off to Japan.

Crimson Shadows - I saw them open for Alestorm a few years ago and have gotten to know their most recent album better since then. I'm really starting to like them. It's their first show since before the pandemic. The vocalist has great energy. Their old stuff is a little generic power/melodeath with 75% unclean vocals, but the new stuff they debuted from their upcoming album sounds really, really good. The clean vocals seemed pretty out of tune in places but it's been three years so I'll cut them some slack lol. After three acts of clean-only vocals, their growls and shrieks blew the roof off. :music-rockon:

But as an introvert who often flies solo, I mostly continue to sum up my concert experiences like this:

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Took the kid to see Panic! at the Disco last night. They're not really my thing but they had a pretty impressive stage show - fire, fireworks and frickin lasers.

I appreciate when a band puts in the effort to make the show entertaining for people like me that don't care about the music.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Anyone remember the late 70's/early 80's band Off Broadway? Well, they are back, looking like month-old road kill (I saw them back when they were a thing). Anyway, going to see them in a few weeks, my wife is even going. She liked the songs when I played her some on You Tube, but noted the singer now looks like one of her residents.
Black Lives Matter
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Tomorrow the kid and I fly to Vegas for the When We Were Young Festival. I'll be seeing a bunch of bands including Paramore and, for the fourth time in the last 5 weeks, My Chemical Romance.

I'm looking forward to spending a weekend with my kid as much as I am the music. :wub:
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:58 pm Anyone remember the late 70's/early 80's band Off Broadway? Well, they are back, looking like month-old road kill (I saw them back when they were a thing). Anyway, going to see them in a few weeks, my wife is even going. She liked the songs when I played her some on You Tube, but noted the singer now looks like one of her residents.
i can remember... back to a week ago
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Back from Vegas - Saturday's festival was cancelled so we spent the day trying to find anything of value to do on the strip that doesn't involve shopping, gambling or drinking.

I really hate Las Vegas. :doh:
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Exodor wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:30 pm Back from Vegas - Saturday's festival was cancelled so we spent the day trying to find anything of value to do on the strip that doesn't involve shopping, gambling or drinking.

That sucks man, sorry.

We went to the Pinball Hall of Fame when we were there a couple months ago. Nothing fancy (literally just a warehouse full of hundreds of new and old pinball tables and old-school arcade games) but it was an absolute blast. Spent almost 4 hours there.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

My daughter lives in Vegas and had tickets for When We Were Young on Saturday.
She was pretty bummed about it being cancel, especially because she knows how quickly the winds comes and goes.
It seemed to never get any worse than when they made the call to cancel, and even then she said the winds werent that bad.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Exodor wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:30 pm Back from Vegas - Saturday's festival was cancelled so we spent the day trying to find anything of value to do on the strip that doesn't involve shopping, gambling or drinking.

I've spent many days in Vegas and I don't drink or gamble and have only shopped there a bit to find stuff to bring back for the kids. Vegas is pretty packed with things to do other than shopping, drinking or gambling.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

stimpy wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:22 pm My daughter lives in Vegas and had tickets for When We Were Young on Saturday.
She was pretty bummed about it being cancel, especially because she knows how quickly the winds comes and goes.
It seemed to never get any worse than when they made the call to cancel, and even then she said the winds werent that bad.
I mean, they were pretty bad. There were times on the strip when we got pushed back because the gusts were so strong. It was the right call (and the call came from the fire marshall not the festival) but it's a crushing disappointment particularly since the only reason the Sunday show existed is the Saturday show sold out so quickly.
Zarathud

concerts....who you seeing?

Post by Zarathud »

Exodor wrote:Back from Vegas - Saturday's festival was cancelled so we spent the day trying to find anything of value to do on the strip that doesn't involve shopping, gambling or drinking.

Damn, wish I had known. I was in Vegas at Harrahs for a wedding and my wife noticed all the sad emo. She felt really badly for you guys.

We weren’t able to hit any magic shows because they all overlapped the family events.

The winds were insane — they pushed my 300 lb body, so we couldn’t do much walking on the strip.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Tickets come out tomorrow for Jerry Hairston and Adrien Belew doing "Remain in Light" -- a Talking Heads show. Damn I wish I could go. I've actually seen all of the Talking Heads before...just not as the Talking Heads -- Weymouth and Schranz in Tom Tom Club, Hairston as a solo act, and Byrne with the Chicago Symphony. None did any Talking Heads stuff. I've also seen Belew before, with his jazz band The Bears. He was here a few weeks ago doing a David Bowie set with Todd Rundgren (I'd have loved to be there too).
Black Lives Matter
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

That would be cool. I've only gotten to see David Byrne when he toured with St. Vincent. The stagecraft was amazing and they did four Talking Heads songs.
I have but one advocate.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Somehow just found out the Lemonheads are doing a 30th anniversary tour for "It's a Shame About Ray" - Juliana Hatfield is appearing at the December 9-17th shows but there's no way I can make either local appearance (and I'm not sure if I would, tbh) but I share in case someone else out there didn't hear about it and wants to try and go. Hopefully stuff is eventually shared online. Been enjoying watching Youtube live shows lately...

Maybe next year, maybe no go
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

went to see Suede and Manic Street Preachers on Saturday night. did not realize Suede was playing first or i would have worked harder to get to the show on time! Brett was _really_ bellowing the vocals and made the audience sing all the high notes, haha. they really were not what i expected they would be live - way more 'Rock' for sure - but they were good. and i did get to re-remember how good of a band the Manics are (who also threw in a totally unexpected cover of The Cult's "She Sells Sanctuary")
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

JetFred wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:20 pm That would be cool. I've only gotten to see David Byrne when he toured with St. Vincent. The stagecraft was amazing and they did four Talking Heads songs.
A few years ago, Byrne released a book about the current state of music industry - could be subtitled "how to make a living as a has-been".
Black Lives Matter
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:00 pm Somehow just found out the Lemonheads are doing a 30th anniversary tour for "It's a Shame About Ray" -
Hm, they're playing Portland on a Saturday night. Tempting.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

College buddies are trying to tempt me into the Sick New World festival but I'm wary of outdoor Vegas festivals...

But how can I pass up seeing The Sisters of Mercy play at like 3 PM outside on a sunny Vegas day? :mrgreen:
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Exodor wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:03 am College buddies are trying to tempt me into the Sick New World festival but I'm wary of outdoor Vegas festivals...
some legit good bands in that lineup, but a littttle too much in the way of trailerparkcore and hottopiccore (sometimes at the same time!) otherwise
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

That lineup is like a who's who of bands influenced by the mighty Mr. Bungle.
But I'd venture to say 90% of the folks attending will have never even heard of Mr Bungle.

"Mr. Bungle's style has influenced many acts from the alternative metal genre, most notably Korn, who have utilized what they have dubbed the "Mr. Bungle chord" (A flat fifth chord or "Tritone"). James "Munky" Shaffer, one of Korn's guitarists, stated in a 2015 interview that Mr. Bungle's self-titled debut "set the tone for us and what we went on to do creatively". Brandon Boyd of Incubus similarly cites early Mr. Bungle as an influence, with Incubus's 1995 debut album Fungus Amongus mentioning them in the liner notes. Other prominent artists Mr. Bungle have inspired include Avenged Sevenfold, Big Dumb Face, Bloodhound Gang, Brann Dailor of Mastodon, Chino Moreno, Deftones, Dog Fashion Disco, Doug Robb of Hoobastank, Glassjaw, Limp Bizkit, Snot, System of a Down, Super Junky Monkey, Tub Ring, Twelve Foot Ninja, Uncle Kracker and Diego Tejeida of Haken. Groups with similar live visuals – such as Mushroomhead and Slipknot — have also admitted that Mr. Bungle were a major influence. In 2016, former Slipknot drummer Joey Jordison said that "Mr. Bungle is one of my favourite bands of all time."
He/Him/His/Porcupine