Alpha Protocol - Reviews, Impressions, Gameplay, etc.

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Doomboy

Re: Alpha Protocol - Reviews, Impressions, Gameplay, etc.

Post by Doomboy »

I've played it for 10 hours now, and I only encountered two bugs. One was the time I reloaded in a mission and the bad guys didn't load (solution: live with the consequences of being careless in moving), and one was the game not loading the next area at a checkpoint. Thankfully, that bug is solved by the checkpoint system. I reloaded, and the problem was gone. Also didn't need to worry about the guards being gone, as I had already dealt with them.

I wish the game had Mass Effect 2's combat. It is similar, but not nearly as cool. I do enjoy the hand to hand stuff. I like how firing from cover without standing up really is blind firing without a crosshair. Maybe next time I will go with a martial arts master, instead of my current sneaky pistol guy. It is really fun to take down a bunch of patrolling guards in hand to hand while sneaking around and not raising the alarm.

I also like how it tracks the total dollar amount in medical bills my spy has been causing.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

I think maybe the problem with bad reviews was because of the expectation of the reviews don't match the game. If you expect a game like KOTOR or Mass Effect or Deus Ex then you're going to be disappointed. This game is mainly a FPS game with RPG stats and branching missions. This is more like Thief/Hitman games. More Diablo than Baldur's Gate.

Main gameplay is just to go do the missions FPS style or stealth style and return to safehouse in between missions. At safe house you can purchase and adjust your equipment or spend money to affect your next mission.
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

(cross posted on GT)

I've completed the first hub of the game (Saudi Arabia). I'm definitely enjoying the game a lot. There are some rough edges (particularly in the sneaking animation). Definitely agree with the comparisons to Mass Effect 1. The shooting is similar. The skill tree also reminds me of ME1s. It's much deeper than the Mass Effect 2 skill tree. I think it's actually more interesting than ME1's although I haven't played ME1 in a while so I may be misremembering. Definitely far better than ME2's skills, which seemed to be rather shallow in terms of choices available.

There's a lot that AP does better than either ME2 or ME1. For example, the ME1 inventory system was a real mess, then in ME2 they practically just dumped it altogether. AP has a rich and interesting system. There are lots of weapons which can all be customized, and a wide range of gadgets which really are useful.

I really like the various skills, the equipment, the dialog system. Graphics are okay, although the sneak animation is pretty awful. The facial animation system on the other hand is quite good.

I'd say the best way to think of it is a combination of ME1 including ME1 shooting mechanics with a fair bit of Splinter Cell sneaking about mixed in, with a rich interesting NPC character system, a deep and varied skill tree, lots of interesting inventory items.

I've heard that the Saudi Arabia hub, which is the only one I've done, is actually the worst of the areas. Given what I've seen so far, this game in no way deserves the horrible reviews it's gotten (although it has rightly received some reviews in the 80s, it in no way deserves the 60 scores other reviewers have given it).

[Edit: by the way playing the 360 version]
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Tom Chick has 11 reasons why Alpha Protocol is better than Mass Effect 2.
But with that as my starting point, I'd say Alpha Protocol comes together much better as a game, as a story, and as an attempt to blend an RPG with a shooter. In short, Alpha Protocol is exactly the right way to do what Mass Effect 2 did wrong.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I have a feeling you should take Chick's comparison with a grain of salt. He hates the Mass Effect series like it did something to his sister.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

That he does, but damn it hell hasn't frozen over and I agree with the argument.

Alpha Protocol's RPG half is way better than Mass Effect 1 and 2's RPG elements combined.

However, they could stand to have learned a bit more from how ME2 handled the shooting mechanics, meanwhile ME2 could have looked to see how AP handles a slimmed down inventory and other RPG aspects.

That said, ME has always been more of a shooter with RPG mixed in. AP is trying to be an RPG first with shooter elements mixed in.
Victoria Raverna

Turtle wrote:That he does, but damn it hell hasn't frozen over and I agree with the argument.

Alpha Protocol's RPG half is way better than Mass Effect 1 and 2's RPG elements combined.

However, they could stand to have learned a bit more from how ME2 handled the shooting mechanics, meanwhile ME2 could have looked to see how AP handles a slimmed down inventory and other RPG aspects.

That said, ME has always been more of a shooter with RPG mixed in. AP is trying to be an RPG first with shooter elements mixed in.
Seem like the other way around? Only finished Saudi Arabia node and a few "talking" missions in Taipei node. So far AP is mostly a FPS with RPG elements, gameplay is mostly doing FPS/stealth style missions with no friendly NPCs and return to safehouse in between. Are there going to be a more open area later on where you can travel the city and meet NPCs outside missions?

From my experience so far, AP is more FPS with RPG elements while ME is more RPG with FPS elements.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I'm glad to see that the comments by gamers playing the game are more positive. I just spent some time tonight running some mission and Moscow and I'm enjoying myself. The story is moving along nicely and I am enjoying my interactions with the characters I am meeting.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Are there going to be a more open area later on where you can travel the city and meet NPCs outside missions?.
No, it's a central hub (safe house) with missions. No open areas, random exploring. I think the point is that AP's skills, weapon customization are much deeper the ME2's so that makes it more RPG than ME2 from that standpoint.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Got through the tutorials, and I think I'm about to get my first actual mission.

So far, as expected. Graphics are decent but not great (the lighting engine from ME2 spoiled me, everything in AP is so evenly lit), controls are a bit wonky on the PC, which I'm annoyed about, and the gameplay has the jury still out.

I got what the instructor characters said were good scores on two legs of the tutorial, and those seemed to open up a secondary mission. Couldn't seem to get my score on the shooting range high enough to get anything. Do those secondary things come up no matter what, and maybe there isn't one for the shooting range?

I may try playing with the 360 controller as well as some of the ini tweaks. This actually reminds me a lot of how Borderlands on the PC shipped, with things not working quite how you'd expect them to, like the mouse wheel not scrolling text boxes. Instead, it frequently scrolls through various messages and things like that, but you have to use the tiny scroll arrows to scroll the actual message text.

The paranoid analyst guy was pretty funny.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

There's a bonus mission for the shooting range, and it's pretty funny. You'll want to avoid missing by getting up close with shotguns when you can. Also getting critical hits net you a lot of points, so aim for the head.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Ah, I didn't realize headshots were for crits. I thought it was just waiting for the red reticule. I don't like that they give you automatic weapons, knock down the target on the first bullet strike so the subsequent shots miss, and then penalize you for missing. I can't go single shot with these things! :D

Just got it. Not sure if it was headshots, waiting for the reticule to turn red, or both, but I wound up with a bunch of crits. You're right, that bonus mission was pretty funny.
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

Grifman wrote:
Victoria Raverna wrote: Are there going to be a more open area later on where you can travel the city and meet NPCs outside missions?.
No, it's a central hub (safe house) with missions. No open areas, random exploring. I think the point is that AP's skills, weapon customization are much deeper the ME2's so that makes it more RPG than ME2 from that standpoint.
Exactly. It's not about the open areas, but about the character skill development and inventory. ME2 customization was actually fairly limited once you got past choosing your class. I felt like ME2 was a step back in many ways from ME1. They changed the game from an RPG with some shooter elements to almost a shooter with some RPG elements. From a skills and inventory standpoint, AP is probably better than ME1 and is definitely much, much more interesting than ME2.
Massena

Post by Massena »

Finished the game. I like it. I honestly don't understand the vitriol that some people seem to feel after playing this game. There ARE bugs. The interface is a little wonky at times. But the game isn't hidden too far underneath those things. The story is a developed story that makes sense, is complicated, and seems to be on a totally different level from the Bioware stuff. Mass Effect is basically a cheesy action movie, whereas Alpha Protocol is a suspense/ spy thriller. I'm not talking about Alan Wake levels here, but there's some THERE there.

Went through as a stealth build, with pistols and martial arts and a very little bit of tough and tech. Only one boss gave me fits. The game has CHOICE as its tagline and it really does deliver on that. I'm going through as a recruit now, similar build to last time, but more tech and less martial arts (it's just too much fun to sneak around and take people out). But it'll be fun to go through as a different character, making new choices. I'm going to enjoy seeing if the world is really as open as it seemed the first time through or if they just do a better job than Mass Effect of creating that illusion.

6/8 tentacles.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

I think you are all missing the most obvious comparison, Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines.

Both games are strongest in story and interaction between the PC and NPC. Both have choices that seem to matter. Both revolve around a base of operations from which you run out and do quests. Admittedly AP cuts out the running. As I recall, even the reviews are similar, VTMB was attacked for poor combat, bugs, and lack of polish, whatever that means.

On other notes, I love the TV. Especially the news reports that are not about the game. The lobbyist one is hilarious.

I am loving that you can reply to emails and download stuff from the email, it's a nice touch.

I do wish there were more sidequests, everything seems related to the main quest and while you can skip some there is nothing that I've seen, up to this point (Moscow and Rome completed) that indicates any missions that are not related to the main. Than again, I suppose it is refreshing that for once, when trying to save the world, the hero doesn't stop to save a kitten up a tree.

I think it's great that the designers made you make decisions and than came through with the promised consequence, instead of allowing you to do both.

I am hoping for DLC missions, preferably after the end (assuming that is practical, I don't know if Mike survives).

AP is the most fun I've had playing a game since VTMB. I really hope it does not end up the same, a cult game abandoned by its publisher that kills a great developer.

(I am playing on the Xbox, maybe it makes a difference)
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

I think word of mouth will have to carry this one. The more reasonable reviewers out there have given it decent scores in the 70s or so.

I'm pretty sure it will end up on GiantBomb's Endurance Run someday since it's the perfect kind of game for that, and the ER is pretty good promotion for any game on it despite seeing the whole game on ER I still want to buy the stuff they show.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I got this on a whim since I stayed home sick, and I've been glued to it all day. I've made my way through Saudi Arabia, Taipai and Moscow and I'm really, really enjoying it. There have been a few glitches, but nothing that spoiled the game for me. It's been a lot of fun being a pistol wielding stealth expert leaving more people alive than dead.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

OK, dear freaking god - I hit my first wall
Spoiler:
How on earth do you kill Konstantine Brayco at the end of the Moscow levels? I'm almost maxed out in martial arts and yet he rips me a new one with his knives every time. I can get through the first phase, but inevitably he on his reinforcements shred me before I can even get him to 50%.
Doomboy

Post by Doomboy »

gbasden wrote:OK, dear freaking god - I hit my first wall
Spoiler:
How on earth do you kill Konstantine Brayco at the end of the Moscow levels? I'm almost maxed out in martial arts and yet he rips me a new one with his knives every time. I can get through the first phase, but inevitably he on his reinforcements shred me before I can even get him to 50%.
Spoiler:
I got him by using flame grenades. I discovered (when I ran out) that there were some extras up on his little "stage". It was quite amusing watching Mike throw fire grenades casually over his shoulder as he ran away from the nutjob.

I was so pissed with him afterward, that our conversation had a distinctly adversarial tone on my end. It ended with his end.
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Cross posting from GT:

Some very early impressions, based on completing the introductory levels and the first real mission:

First, I like the conversation "stance" system. Keeping the pace of the conversations moving does make them feel more organic. So far, at least, the dialogue appears carefully structured and the choice window carefully timed so that you do have enough information to make your choice before it's your turn to speak. As long as that continues, I'm happy. To be fair, I'm not sure if I'd like this more than a pure "you choose exactly what your character says" system but this is certainly an improvement over BioWare's "here's some sample dialogue that might kinda vaguely resemble what actually comes out of your character's mouth if you select it...if you're lucky" system.

Second, the role playing elements do look good, again compared to BioWare's recent games. The conversation perk system is frequent and glorious in terms of keeping the long dialogue trees relevant. There seems to be lots of gear and plenty of ways to upgrade it (up to four slots on your armor, four on each of the two weapons you can carry at a time, and another four slots for carrying "gadgets"). The skill tree also seems peppered with lots of "Active" skills that are more enjoyable than just "+%" type skills, although these tend to be very "gamey" abilities that require you to accept that you're playing a computer RPG rather than a real-world spy siimulation (i.e., some of the stealth stuff wouldn't seem at all out of place in a D&D context but can feel a bit...off...in a game that's supposed to be more grounded).

Criticisms: my major complaint is that the game is unpolished / buggy. Someone - here on or OO, I can't remember - mentioned that they tend to ignore that complaint because no one provides specifics. Here, then, are a few things I've noticed:
  • Enemies I've already encountered seem to vanish after reloading a checkpoint, either because I've died or because I just screwed up being stealthy and wanted to try again. Maybe one I've already taken down are supposed to stay gone - though even that would seem odd - but twice now I've scouted a room, noted enemies inside it but not dealt with them, and then reloaded only to find the room empty.
  • I've had an issue where the selection cursor screws up moving between the armor inventory and gadget inventory screens; the highlighted area still seems to correspond to things I could select on the previous screen.
  • The inventory/intel screens are sloppily ported from the console version. There are some places where you can use WASD to move around a list menu as though you were using the direction pad on a console controller and some places where that doesn't work and you have to use the mouse instead.
I'll also echo the notion that early gunplay, at least, seems underpowered. That said, the game does keep the stealth-RPG staple of an instant-takedown button if you can manage to sneak up on an enemy, so Thornton isn't a complete wuss.

Bottom line: I'm enjoying the game, I'm getting exactly what I expected, and now I'm going to play some more. I certainly wouldn't fault anyone, however, for deciding to take a wait-and-see approach for some patches that might make the experience a little smoother, especially if your interest is the combat rather than the characters.

- Ash
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

gbasden wrote:OK, dear freaking god - I hit my first wall
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
If you have stealth built up enough for shadow operative you can fire that off and he will put away his knives (just watch out for flash bangs, he keeps moving after launching one, if you wait until the white goes away, he'll be right next to you, use shadow operative immediately when he flashes), plus the reinforcements never show. The shock traps helped as well to slow/stop him and get in some nice head shots. Then you just have to be patient and pick him off slowly. I found lining up a head shot with the assault rifle, while under shadow operative took a lot off.

I also read on the official forms that the chain shot ability works great, if you have pistols high enough, which I did not, so I cannot confirm this.

Edit: I forgot, you can also just run until he starts shooting you, to avoid the knives, not so helpful with the reinforcements.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

An interesting take on the differences in reviews for the game:

http://free-pc-guides.com/games/differe ... rong-01928" target="_blank
Doomboy

Post by Doomboy »

The guy who complains about missing because the character's gun skill is low irritates me. It is an RPG. He probably never complained about swinging a sword at a dragon in Dragon Age and missing. Which is more likely, that you might miss a shot at a moving guy's head fifteen feet away with a pistol, or while swinging a sword at a gigantic dragon four feet away from you?

No one ever bitches about missing "because of math" in fantasy games. Mass Effect 2's combat would have been more interesting to me if my character's stats had actually meant something other than what kind of special ammo I can use.

I think the article is correct, US gamers are far more shallow than we used to be. Modern Warfare 2 is the best selling game of all time. Doesn't get much more shallow than that game. We have been spoiled by pretty graphics and only ever having to push the left mouse button and the run forward key.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Amen. Found this quote in the linked article that summed that particular aspect up for me:

“Some will never see past these problems, but for those that can, Alpha Protocol is that rarest of things: a videogame that doesn‘t pander to its audience with a technicolor world of goblins and space marines, but actually demands that you pay attention, listen, and even conduct research to get the most out of the experience.”

What??? Pay attention? Listen? Inconceivable! :P
-mf
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Wow Grif, that's an interesting article - it certainly is interesting to see how American reviews differ from the European ones. It's certainly happened with other games (The Witcher, The Gothic series...) so it doesn't surprise me it's going on again for this game.

The one element that I ended up really liking in Gothic 2 was the feeling that my character was getting more powerful. I know I've mentioned it before, but I developed a genuine fear then hatred of the orcs. When my character finally was powerful enough to actually kill one? Total glee. And when I became even more powerful I would take on groups of them because I could. But I know that element of game play was something critics complained about. If Alpha Protocol is more like Gothic 2 than Mass Effect (in that respect), I see that as a bonus, not a knock against design.

I'm 3rd in line to get the game via Goozex. Seems that staying up late to get a low number was a good idea for once.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Attention span isn't the problem here, that article doesn't help anything.

Simply to the point, AP, like Gothic, is an extremely flawed game that does things right in the areas where it isn't flawed. However, that doesn't make up for the fact that these games are critically flawed. Different audiences may be more or less willing to overlook those flaws, but you can't get past the fact that these are flaws.

The writer tries to dress things up as difference in play styles, but let's call a spade a spade and call bad design, bad design.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Turtle wrote:The writer tries to dress things up as difference in play styles, but let's call a spade a spade and call bad design, bad design.
Uh, I think he does:
In my humble opinion every Alpha Protocol review out there should convey these ideas to its readers.

Kevin VanOrd is absolutely right when he says that Alpha Protocol’s technical glitches, bad A.I. and the half-baked cover system are unexplainable, especially considering that “most game developers seem to have worked through such basic obstacles years ago“. What’s up with that, Obsidian?
Of course that still doesn't explain the difference between Euro and US ratings on the game. If not playstyles, then what reason since you disagree with the author?
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Turtle wrote:Attention span isn't the problem here, that article doesn't help anything.

Simply to the point, AP, like Gothic, is an extremely flawed game that does things right in the areas where it isn't flawed. However, that doesn't make up for the fact that these games are critically flawed. Different audiences may be more or less willing to overlook those flaws, but you can't get past the fact that these are flaws.

The writer tries to dress things up as difference in play styles, but let's call a spade a spade and call bad design, bad design.
I disagree that the game is *extremely* flawed. It has it's issues, and those issues may be deal breakers for some people. Personally, I think the game is a blast. But to say the game is critically flawed implies that the game is unplayable and a complete mess. It's not. It's lacking polish in some areas, but there is nothing wrong with the combat, for instance. The cover system works, and I'm not seeing any huge differences between it and other similar games released recently. I can see some people being put off by the lack of realism in the game - the ability to go invisible (essentially) is a bit offputting. Running up to two enemies and dispatching one while the other looks around blankly is a failure in enemy AI. For me, though, that didn't spoil the game. It was a choice to offer multiple paths, and making the stealth path viable means that you have to do something of the sort or reduce the number of enemies to the point that the ultraviolence path is boring as sin.

At least for me, it's a good enough game that I plan to replay it with a totally different build and make very different choices.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Finished the Saudi Arabia missions. Things definitely started to take off after the last one. I've now got stealth and pistols leveled up, and things are ever so much better than the first few missions. Staying stealthy is absolutely an option at this point, which is great.

The checkpoint system isn't ideal, but it certainly does help ratchet up the tension. Dashing to another bit of cover while a guard's back is turned is a lot more stressful when I know I don't have a save from just before the dash to fall back on.

The story is starting to get complex too. I'm in that period that usually happens about a third of the way into most spy movies/shows where the full extent of things starts to get revealed, and my head is swimming.

Based on what I've seen, this game is in no way a 2. Right now, I'd peg it at a solid 8, and has the potential to be a 9. Its flaws have been blown way out of proportion. However, I have a feeling this is going to be another game like Wet, where I love it in spite of its flaws, and the majority of other gamers calls me crazy.

I also like that I can play with no disc in the drive.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

A word of warning from someone who has finished the game, you'll see exactly why the game earned such low scores when you encounter the mission design at the end.

There are no less than 3 consecutive segments of infinitely spawning enemies backed up by a "boss" that will throw insta-kill explosives at you, with no room for any sort of sneaking.

There is no way around these fights. Thankfully, for people going with stealth and pistols, your trump card is maxed out Chain Attack, which allows you to place up to 6 critical shots right on a boss' head.

That said, I enjoyed the rest of the game a great deal and would give the game a solid 7.5.

Considering how many choices there are in the game, let's start some spoiler discussions about the what you did in your play through, and what the repercussions where for your actions.

Here's what happened in my play through:
Spoiler:
Generally, I let people live where it gave me the option and tried to do the goody two shoes route.

Training:
- Aced all 3 tests, and did subsequent 3 bonus missions for the testers.

Saudi Arabia:
- Arrested Nasri
- Let Shaheed live
- Destroyed all the munitions I could (which at the end had a nice moment where my actions reduced the effectiveness of some terrorist bombings).

Did Taiwan first:
- Did the mission for Hong
- Befriended Heck, who was quite useful in a crazy way throughout the game.
- Let president Sung die to prevent the riots
- Let Omen Deng live
- Got help from G22 and Hong's men during the final mission in Taipei.

Rome:
- Bugged the G22 servers, but decided to destroy the bugs when asked to.
- Saved the museum and the people in it, but Madison was killed. :(
- Called ahead at the Roman ruins, so Shaheed's men let me through.

Moscow:
- Was friendly to Grigori, which had the benefit of him not sending a warning to the people I was tailing. But, I didn't send him the arms shipment.
- Spared Sis and got her locket.
- Temporarily allied with SIE, but chose not to further any relations, never saw her again.
- Decided not to join G22 when the offer was given. Had a long discussion about Sis though, which was interesting.
- Saved Albatross at Brayko's mansion.
- Spared Brayko, who then killed Surkov after convincing him to give me the info I wanted in the final Moscow mission.

Endgame:
- Romanced Mina.
- Let Shaheed live again (will kill him on my next run through) and chose the option to betray my country when he asked, just to get more intel.
- Left the video with Scarlet, and slept with her. Later, after finding her in AP facility, I chose to spare her life after finding out her secret.
- Asked both Heck and G22's Albatross to help in the assault. Both of them agreed to help for free since they liked me so much.
- Freed from medbay by Sis
- Chose Albatross as my handler for the final mission, but then ran into Scarlet.
- Saved Mina at the facility.
- Convinced Parker to download the incriminating data for me instead of deleting it.
- Spared Westridge's life (although I think with enough dossier info you can convince him to join you), he later was wrung through the court system.
- Convinced Marburg to stand aside and think for himself using dossier info, despite so wanting to kill him for killing Madison. He then stepped aside and let me get to Leland.
- Spared Leland's life, but he later disappeared, but not concerned with him.
- Left the Alpha Protocol facility on a boat with Mina, no info on Scarlet's whereabouts after helping there, but I assume she got out fine.
- No word on where Heck was either, but he was a handler option that I didn't choose.
- Madison was buried in Rome to a big audience. :(
- Darcy was killed, even though I used Tranquilizer rounds to put him down. His senator father then used Madison's name to push through some bills.

General cool stuff:
- Loved how the game actually took note of how low key and stealthy I was during missions, and also took note that I tended not to kill people.
- Also kept track of if I kept my promises, so people would use that against me as much as it helped with reputation.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

That sounds less than awesome, but still, if you can get past the boss by using the skills you've built up through the game, that's actually exactly the kind of thing I'd be looking for.

Especially since I plan on maxing out pistols. :twisted:
Doomboy

Post by Doomboy »

Hmm. That sounds bad. I went with a recruit and have not been plowing points exclusively into stealth and pistols, more of a sampling of things that I thought might help.

I am in the last hub now, and I don't see how the game will get me that much more experience to level up a bunch more.

That does indeed sound like a lazy way to end the game. I hoped the crazy Russian guy was as bad as it would get.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Actually, it's only those last 3 encounters in the final mission that's problematic. As I said above, the ramp up to the final mission, and the first half of the final mission is pretty awesome. All sorts of stuff that you've been doing for the rest of the game come into play.

I won't say more than that, but it just feels awesome... until you hit the bad section I've described.
Victoria Raverna

Alpha Protocol which was available for preorder since months ago for my region and was available for sale a few days ago is now gone from Steam store for some region including my region. Seem like some publishers want people to pirate their games so that they can blame piracy for their low sales. :)
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Turtle wrote:A word of warning from someone who has finished the game, you'll see exactly why the game earned such low scores when you encounter the mission design at the end.

There are no less than 3 consecutive segments of infinitely spawning enemies backed up by a "boss" that will throw insta-kill explosives at you, with no room for any sort of sneaking.

There is no way around these fights. Thankfully, for people going with stealth and pistols, your trump card is maxed out Chain Attack, which allows you to place up to 6 critical shots right on a boss' head.
Assuming you are talking about
Spoiler:
Parker, Darcy, Leland
They do not infinitely spawn. Eventually you can kill all of the enemies and face the "boss" one on one. And I had no trouble sneaking in any of those three areas.
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

Fitzy wrote:
Turtle wrote:A word of warning from someone who has finished the game, you'll see exactly why the game earned such low scores when you encounter the mission design at the end.

Spoiler:
Parker, Darcy, Leland
They do not infinitely spawn. Eventually you can kill all of the enemies and face the "boss" one on one. And I had no trouble sneaking in any of those three areas.
Spoiler:
Isn't Darcy in a tower so you can't reach him? I tried to find a way up to him and failed. However as it turns out his head was usually peaking out over the lip of th tower, so I ended up sniping him with an Assault Rifle. Seems like he's not that hard for Assault Rifle or Pistol, could be tough for Shotgun or Submachinegun, and impossible to melee
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I haven't finished the game yet so I'm not ready for spoilers but I am really enjoying the polish put into the dialog in the game. Every dialog choice seems to affect later conversations and feels like it makes a real difference.

I really can forgive the combat with some of the verbal sparing I have had with Leeland. The game even noted if I wore body armor or my casual clothes to meet with an informant.

I love reading and purchasing the Dossiers. They provide useful info to dealing with the characters but buying costs money I could put towards better guns and gadgets. You need to make some tough choices. I also loving extorting NPC.

And the Perks!!! I love them and you earn them based on how you play and there are a TON of them. I see alot of Fallout in this game's RPG as well.

Man, this game has so much potential. I really am looking for a sequel where the tighten up the combat and sneak mechanics.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I grabbed this over the weekend after almost passing after seeing some of the luke warm reviews, but so far I think the game is a lot of fun.
Spoiler:
I'm a bit stuck in my first game... I went to Rome first after Saudi Arabia and then to Taiwan. I'm at the part where I'm trying to fight Deng overlooking the rally, but I'm in pretty poor shape at that point. I'm mainly a stealth/assault rifle fighter, but by the time I get to Deng I've only got a few assault rifle rounds left, and I can't seem to do enough damage to him with my pistol. I only have a few points in martial arts as well, so he tends to kick my ass when I get close.

Unfortunately the next most previous save is back at the safe house, so I might have to replay that entire mission and conserve ammo a little better before getting to Deng... that and try to weaken him a bit as he's running. I did a little damage to him then, but not a lot.

I was really impressed with the G22 stuff too... I was nice to them and disabled my bug when they asked and they've helped me out in a couple of missions in Taiwan, including sending some of their troops to help me get through the park before facing Deng... pretty cool.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

ydejin wrote:
Fitzy wrote:

Spoiler:
Parker, Darcy, Leland
Spoiler:
Isn't Darcy in a tower so you can't reach him? I tried to find a way up to him and failed. However as it turns out his head was usually peaking out over the lip of th tower, so I ended up sniping him with an Assault Rifle. Seems like he's not that hard for Assault Rifle or Pistol, could be tough for Shotgun or Submachinegun, and impossible to melee
Spoiler:
He is. There is also another tower you can climb and it has a sniper rifle you can use. A few shots and he is dead. But I was unable to find a way up his tower.
Massena

Post by Massena »

What I really love is the variety in this game. It really takes into account your actions (both clear choices like siding with A over B and less clear choices like talking your way in or finding a way through the roof or something). And the end game! My god. Penny Arcade has an active thread going and nobody has the same ending. There are so many permutations that it's tough to simplify things to "if you do X, then Y is the bad guy". It seems to me like everyone has their own motivations and the beauty of it is that if you know enough, then you can influence them to a greater degree, but if you don't know enough, you may never even be aware that someone is actually playing you. Frickin complex game. I love it, I'm on my third playthrough now.