If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Rip

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Post by Rip »

Zurai

Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic

Post by Zurai »

I thought this was supposed to be the OLD Republic? Why are we watching Darth Vader kick Jedi ass with Victory-Class Star Destroyers unloading troops and the precursors to TIE Fighters all over Coruscant?
pengo

Post by pengo »

Its the Old Republic as its no longer that its now the Imperial Empire. Everything before Imperial Empire belongs to the "Old Republic" ?
Sarkus

Post by Sarkus »

The MMO is supposed to be set 300 years after the KOTOR RPGs but still 3500 years before Episode 1. I guess the Sith stuff is supposed to suggest a commonality of design throughout all Sith periods and forces, kind of like the Jedi have been wearing brown robes for 4000 years.

But really, the KOTOR setting envisioned by Bioware has always had the same problem, which is that none of the technology in use appears to be anything more then slightly different looking then what is supposed to be around thousands of years later. In that regard, this game is no different.

Oh, and despite the main Sith guy looking an awful lot like Malak, the villain in KOTOR 1, that's not who it is from what Lucas and Bioware PR reps have been saying today.
Foggy: You have my word as a corporal and a gentleman.
Clegg: Hitler was a corporal!
Foggy: Not in my regiment.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

LOVED the trailer. So looking forward to the game. Just hope it's not 100% carebear.
ska5fe

Post by ska5fe »

Sarkus wrote:Oh, and despite the main Sith guy looking an awful lot like Malak, the villain in KOTOR 1, that's not who it is from what Lucas and Bioware PR reps have been saying today.
Who is it supposed to be, if not Malak? His doubly-evil twin? He looks almost exactly like him.

That trailer was outstanding, though. I like the description, "Better than Episodes I-III combined". I'm inclined to agree.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

I had a long post about this over at GamingTrend which I won't bother to repeat here. Suffice to say that this trailer was a huge turnoff. Bioware clearly demonstrates that they don't care about the established setting and are going in their own direction that directly contradicts many, many established facts about the Star Wars universe. If you thought George Lucas changed things with Episodes 1-3, that's nothing compared to what Bioware is doing with this MMORPG.

I'm a huge Star Wars fan, yet the setting might end up being exactly the reason why I will avoid this game.
Insert witty comment here.
Sarkus

Post by Sarkus »

TiLT wrote:I had a long post about this over at GamingTrend which I won't bother to repeat here. Suffice to say that this trailer was a huge turnoff. Bioware clearly demonstrates that they don't care about the established setting and are going in their own direction that directly contradicts many, many established facts about the Star Wars universe. If you thought George Lucas changed things with Episodes 1-3, that's nothing compared to what Bioware is doing with this MMORPG.

I'm a huge Star Wars fan, yet the setting might end up being exactly the reason why I will avoid this game.
You are seriously the first person I've heard who didn't like the new trailer. And I'm not sure how much "established setting" they can mess up since nothing ever produced based on the period is considered the highest level canon anyway, including the comic you referenced over at GT. The Wookipedia wiki has a nice rundown of how "canon" is viewed by the people in charge of it in the Star Wars universe, and what it comes down to is that the movies and stuff created direclty by Lucas himself are the only real "canon" that matters. On top of that, what Bioware is doing with this MMO is entirely being approved by Lucas Arts themselves, as they are the publisher.

And let's be honest, the vast majority of the fans coming to this MMO are coming not from that comic, but from the KOTOR RPGs. That is the "canon" the fans interested in this game are going to want to see followed. And again, the Old Republic period portrayed in the RPG's was approved by folks at Lucas Arts. George himself even commented on how much he liked KOTOR1's story.

Time to dial down the Star Wars geekery. :wink:

Edit: Sorry, I edited my post not realizing you would respond so soon. :oops:
Last edited by Sarkus on Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Sarkus wrote:You are seriously the first person I've heard who didn't like the new trailer.
Oh? Other people in this thread have expressed doubt, though without saying "I didn't like the trailer".
And I'm not sure how much "established setting" they can mess up since nothing ever produced based on the period is considered true canon anyway.
This isn't true. Tales of the Jedi is considered canon and has been for a long while. George Lucas only chooses to disregard Expanded Universe canon when it comes to his own movies (Episodes 1 to 3 did bend or break some things that were considered canon at the time), but new material created by others has to fit with what has been released before. Even the KOTOR games themselves heavily reference Tales of the Jedi (in words, if not particularly well in stylistic appearance).

So yes, they can mess up a lot of established setting, and they seem to be heading that way.
Time to dial down the Star Wars geekery. :wink:
Hey, we're talking about a Star Wars MMORPG here, dealing with a particular time period in the Star Wars universe that only real Star Wars geeks tend to have any familiarity with. I'd say it's the perfect time to dial up the Star Wars geekery. :P
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

To me I know Star Wars basically boils down to Jedi. But honestly I could do without them. Id love to have more focus on the grunts, the scum, the behind the scenes type characters. I dont mean I want to be a starship class 3 engine mechanic grade 3b or anything. But im sick of Jedi. I want to play a smuggler or something and be happy with my choice. Not sit around playing my character going "damn I wish I had made a jedi, they get all the cool stuff" I hope Bioware can flesh this MMO out and make it fun for all.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Sarkus wrote:You are seriously the first person I've heard who didn't like the new trailer.
Read post #2 in this thread.
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

Well, the trailer is cool. That doesn't mean absolutely anything about the game itself, though, so I am reserving judgment.

"Hail Jedi! I am having trouble with several womp-rats who have been stealing grain. Kill 12 of them and bring me back their tails!"
Wargus

Post by Wargus »

I could care less about canon or not. My primary concerns with the game are:

1) Is it fun
2) Does it work (i.e. all released parts of the game work as intended, not a pay to play beta)
3) Does the plot, theme, imagery work on its own as a stand alone title.

Lucas has trashed the series with Ep. 1-3 (and large chunks of 6), and while I like much of the remaining works that are available (i.e. Tales of the Jedi), nothing has EVER captured the imagery and imagination that Ep 4 & 5 had. Star Wars was the first movie I had an emotional response to and one of the first movies I remember actually going to the Theater to see (I was 7 ). It sparked a lifetime of geekdom, and I still get goose pimply over it. Nothing will live up to that; like mom's cooking, it is the impossible standard.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Yeah I agree, I don't really care about the setting so much, so long as it's coherent. Ships are pretty close to X-wings and TIE's? Yeah ok, that's fine with me.

I just hope there's a *good* PvP element. I will be playing a Sith, and if I see a jedi, I don't care if he's level 2 or whatever - I should be able to force choke his ass.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

The cool thing about the first star wars movie (Ep. IV) was that it was normal people who got wrapped up in abnormal (Rebellion and Empire) events. Luke Skywalker was just a farmer and then suddenly he is piloting an X-Wing and fighting Super Battle stations. Thats exciting.

I agree that I am too a bit sick of Jedi and would love to just play a normal privateer or smuggler trying to make a buck or pay for his star ships overhall who gets sucked into larger events or missions.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

I've actually never played any game of this serie... am I missing something?

But the trailer is awesome.
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
Bandero

Post by Bandero »

Vorret wrote:I've actually never played any game of this serie... am I missing something?

But the trailer is awesome.
KOTOR 1 is an awesome game which you are definitely missing out on if you like RPG's at all.

KOTOR 2 is generally considered to be a good game that falls flat in the final act due to the publisher forcing the developer to push the product out the door to make a holiday deadline. The bulk of KOTOR 2 is very enjoyable however, and actually a dedicated team of modders have been at work for years making a restoration project that supposedly will firm up the goofy/excerpted parts of the game. That mod project is supposedly getting close to release, but then again they have been working at it for years... :)
"True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country. " Kurt Vonnegut
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

sadly. first one doesnt work on windows 7 :(
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

I finished KOTOR 1 and had a really fun time with it. It was among the best RPG's I have ever played. KOTOR 2 was more of the same and I didn't finish it.
pengo

Post by pengo »

I just love in the new trailer the ship crashes into the temple and coincidentally stops just before running over the evil dude.

How fitting would it be if his arrogant ass got crushed in his attempt to be melodramatic. :)

Tho I'd like to explain the whole thing in that, he was using the force to slow down the ship so it would not, as his powers are that great. Kinda like how Yoda could take the xwing out of the swamp.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

pengo wrote: How fitting would it be if his arrogant ass got crushed in his attempt to be melodramatic. :)
All the troops are always ducking and running for cover as the general stands tall and watches the incoming bombs drop around him. It is a Hollywood tradition.

:pop:
pengo

Post by pengo »

Avenger wrote:
pengo wrote: How fitting would it be if his arrogant ass got crushed in his attempt to be melodramatic. :)
All the troops are always ducking and running for cover as the general stands tall and watches the incoming bombs drop around him. It is a Hollywood tradition.

Yeah but the general knows if you keep moving around you are more than likely going to WALK into a bomb. He just has the balls to accept that he can't really control getting hit by a bomb. So he might as well look good!
Sarkus

Post by Sarkus »

Avenger wrote:

It's also a military tradition. Just about every US war has an example of a high ranking officer standing around while the bullets fly. It's just that Hollywood doesn't like to show the examples of when it doesn't really work out (though one of the LOTR movies had fun with it).
Jow

Post by Jow »

Super cool trailer, then found my interest dropping through the floor when I learned it was an MMO. Meeeeehhhh.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Pre-ordered!!!
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Scoop20906 wrote:
Pre-ordered!!!
Definitely funny. It would also take some serious balls to make that diary when you know your game is still in rough shape, so I'm optimistic in that regard (i.e., I'm optimistic that they don't have balls that big and the game is actually in good shape). Still, there was essentially nothing but snarky humour in that video, so by any rational, evidence-based standard, it did nothing to enhance or detract from my interest in the game.

Which means I'm still probably going to buy it, of course.

- Ash
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Theres now a page devoted to info on advanced classes

Also a sneak peek at the Lost Suns comic
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

How the hell I missed that trailer the first time around I have no idea.

I love the force push as the jedi jumped the thrown saber.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Their E3 trailers are awesome. The company that does them does a great job. Wonder what they'll do this year, as they've done dark side and light side trailers now.

For those that have not seen them:
Deceived
Hope
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

cheeba wrote:Their E3 trailers are awesome. The company that does them does a great job. Wonder what they'll do this year, as they've done dark side and light side trailers now.

For those that have not seen them:
Deceived
Hope
Thanks.

I've made a deal with myself to not play another MMO unless they make a WH40K one. Or probably a Starcraft one. And given my experiences with the first star wars mmo, I should be more gun-shy. However, I will probably buy this when it comes out, or better yet, try to get in a beta to see what's what.

Those trailers leave some pretty big britches to fill. Here's hoping something polished, fun and captures the star wars feel is the result.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

GreenGoo wrote:I've made a deal with myself to not play another MMO unless they make a WH40K one.
You'll be pleased to know that an ambitious WH40k MMORPG is under development then. :) It's called Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium Online and looks epic. You can watch a few videos over at GameTrailers.

Unlike The Old Republic, Dark Millennium Online actually looks like it treats the setting with respect.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

TiLT wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:I've made a deal with myself to not play another MMO unless they make a WH40K one.
You'll be pleased to know that an ambitious WH40k MMORPG is under development then. :) It's called Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium Online and looks epic. You can watch a few videos over at GameTrailers.

Unlike The Old Republic, Dark Millennium Online actually looks like it treats the setting with respect.
I had heard something, but since these things take years, I haven't gone looking or even really acknowledged it's in development, as anything can happen during the development cycle. Not getting my hopes up etc.

Hoping they can pull it off.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Before I start digging, anyone know how close to release or at least beta (open or otherwise) they are?
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

GreenGoo wrote:Before I start digging, anyone know how close to release or at least beta (open or otherwise) they are?
No one knows. It appears they are not going to announce a launch date at E3. The latest developer comment was Thursday: "Don't ever think we're not hard at work every day, and moving towards a date... that's currently in 2011."

My own speculation is that there's very little chance of them hitting 2011. There's only 6 months left in the year and there's still only tiny, superficial tidbits of information being released as weekly updates. I also think if they were confident of releasing within 6 months then they would be announcing the release date.
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

Vorret wrote:sadly. first one doesnt work on windows 7 :(
Not quite true, there is patch to make it work. My 7yr old and I have been replaying it (slowly) over the past year on my Win7/64 rig.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

And their new E3 cinematic is up: Return

Pretty sweet.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

cheeba wrote:And their new E3 cinematic is up: Return

Pretty sweet.
After 7 tries I still cannot get that video to play.

EDIT: Got it working on YouTube. Sweet but not up to the other two videos.
Shinjin

Post by Shinjin »

A major problem that I have with this videos is that the designers can't seem to make up their minds about just what a light saber can do. In one movie it's slices through a hunk of metal while in another scene a near point blank strike to the face results in a gash? In one of the earlier ones a light saber is tripping rather than dismembering goons them?

I thought it was firmly established that a light saber cuts through just about anything other than another light saber...