Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jaymann

Re: Random randomness

Post by Jaymann »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:12 pm
LordMortis wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 8:53 pm Not a VPN. But maybe it's my ISP.
Could be. Either way, using something like LibRedirect or Redirector to automatically redirect Imgur links to rimgo provides better performance, because it prevents Imgur from collecting information about your device and using tracking cookies for advertising. So YMMV, but in my experience, it's a superior option all the way around.
Is there a reliable free VPN I can use?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I can't wait to try the new local chain restaurant coming near us, because everyone calls the Tavern in the Square TITS and that amuses me no end.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I worked with a guy that wanted to open his own business - Technical Installation of Trees and Shrubs. TITS Landscapers. There are days I think I should have just stuck with working as a landscaper.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Jaymann wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:17 pm
Could be. Either way, using something like LibRedirect or Redirector to automatically redirect Imgur links to rimgo provides better performance, because it prevents Imgur from collecting information about your device and using tracking cookies for advertising. So YMMV, but in my experience, it's a superior option all the way around.
Depends on what you mean by "reliable."

Proton VPN provides a good-quality free VPN service with no ads or speed limits. However, free users do not get peer-to-peer file sharing (P2P) or support for unblocking streaming services. The free plan only supports a single connection, and I believe you can only access locations in the US, Netherlands, and Japan. This also makes it easier for sites that wish to hoover up your tracking info to inhibit or limit your ability to use their services. So, if you can live with those limitations, a free VPN service like Proton VPN can be a decent choice. But if you're interested in squeezing more value out of your streaming service subscriptions by unblocking content available in other nations or you want to use a VPN for P2P file sharing, a paid subscription is the way to go.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Smoove_B wrote:I worked with a guy that wanted to open his own business - Technical Installation of Trees and Shrubs. TITS Landscapers. There are days I think I should have just stuck with working as a landscaper.
Landscaper or Manscaper?

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:33 pm
Jaymann wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:17 pm
Depends on what you mean by "reliable."

Proton VPN provides a good-quality free VPN service with no ads or speed limits. However, free users do not get peer-to-peer file sharing (P2P) or support for unblocking streaming services. The free plan only supports a single connection, and I believe you can only access locations in the US, Netherlands, and Japan. This also makes it easier for sites that wish to hoover up your tracking info to inhibit or limit your ability to use their services. So, if you can live with those limitations, a free VPN service like Proton VPN can be a decent choice. But if you're interested in squeezing more value out of your streaming service subscriptions by unblocking content available in other nations or you want to use a VPN for P2P file sharing, a paid subscription is the way to go.
That did the trick, and I already had a Proton account. I have always wanted to visit the Netherlands.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:32 pm I worked with a guy that wanted to open his own business - Technical Installation of Trees and Shrubs. TITS Landscapers. There are days I think I should have just stuck with working as a landscaper.
I often regret not learning a trade, although less often the older I get and the more often my body says "LOL as-if".
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:26 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:32 pm I worked with a guy that wanted to open his own business - Technical Installation of Trees and Shrubs. TITS Landscapers. There are days I think I should have just stuck with working as a landscaper.
I often regret not learning a trade, although less often the older I get and the more often my body says "LOL as-if".
I regret not learning a trade as I get older because I'd be more handy. Working in the trades? My only regret is that I would have entered the workforce and started accumulating wealth earlier. I do regret 30+ years of deskjobs on my health but I'd also regret excess repetitive wear and tear. Which is worse? No idea.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I wish I could fix my car.
I wish I could fix my electricity.
I wish I could fix my plumbing.

I've dabbled with it all, but I'm mostly paralyzed with the fear that I will make things worse (or electrocute myself).
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

LordMortis wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:05 am
I regret not learning a trade as I get older because I'd be more handy. Working in the trades? My only regret is that I would have entered the workforce and started accumulating wealth earlier. I do regret 30+ years of deskjobs on my health but I'd also regret excess repetitive wear and tear. Which is worse? No idea.
I have two friends who were in the trades - one was an electrician and the other a plumber. The electrician was on disability by his 50s as his knees simply broke down. The plumber made it to his late 50s before his shoulder wouldn't take any more. I'm not super thrilled with a desk job but a lot of trades are really hard on the body.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

As the years go by I'm getting more concerned about how a job looks. I hired a handyman to move a couple of ceiling lights, replace some defective switches, and move an outlet last week. I know how to do all of that but I knew he'd do a better job of making the end results neat and clean.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

gbasden wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 2:15 am
LordMortis wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:05 am
I have two friends who were in the trades - one was an electrician and the other a plumber. The electrician was on disability by his 50s as his knees simply broke down. The plumber made it to his late 50s before his shoulder wouldn't take any more. I'm not super thrilled with a desk job but a lot of trades are really hard on the body.
Many years ago I had a great mechanic that worked on my car. He told me he was selling his garage business because, "This is a young man's job." His hands and legs were pretty beat up.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

43 years!

43 years ago, Mount St. Helens erupted. Learn more about our state's FIVE active volcanoes, including how we're always planning for future eruptions
Maybe next year, maybe no go
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

I just got a linkedin request from my son. What a surreal moment in life.

He's studying aircraft maintenance, and I couldn't be prouder of him.
No sig, must scream, etc.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jenna Ortega is the new James Franco.

That is all.
Covfefe!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I don't know anything about the old James Franco, so I'm not entirely sure what this portends.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

She will be in every movie you see for the next few years. Every….one….of them.
Covfefe!
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 12:26 pm 43 years!

43 years ago, Mount St. Helens erupted. Learn more about our state's FIVE active volcanoes, including how we're always planning for future eruptions
My sister has pictures she took that day near Seattle I believe. It was noon and looked like midnight with snow falling. Of course it was ash.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I was watching the olde Hawaii 5 O. They were using little 38 snub nose revolvers. When did they (TV people) switch over to autos like the Glock?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

dbt1949 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:36 pm When did they (TV people) switch over to autos like the Glock?
Miami Vice, Season 3
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Why do I want to push the bullshit button?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Because you're being bullshat?

I'd guess (from vague memory) that good guys on TV switched to semi-autos sometime in the early 80s.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 1:40 am Because you're being bullshat?
:(
Blackhawk wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 1:40 am I'd guess (from vague memory) that good guys on TV switched to semi-autos sometime in the early 80s.
I wasn't being unserious.
It was Miami Vice, Season 3
Last edited by Unagi on Sun May 21, 2023 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

The Glock 17 made its very first appearance in a third-season episode of Miami Vice, a show that was always big on featuring cool and cutting-edge firearms. The episode “Cuba Libre” first aired on Jan. 23, 1987: a full year before the Glock was available for sale in the US.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Magnum carried a 1911 in Magnum P.I. 1980 - 1988
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I thought you were being sarcastic, sorry.

It was a more general question. The Glock was just an example. By the early 80s the TV action shows were using a lot of semi-autos. Maybe it had something to do with the decline of the western, or maybe it was the rise of military themed shows.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Unagi wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 9:20 am
Blackhawk wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 1:40 am Because you're being bullshat?
:(
Blackhawk wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 1:40 am I'd guess (from vague memory) that good guys on TV switched to semi-autos sometime in the early 80s.
I wasn't being unserious.
It was Miami Vice, Season 3
I apologize and stand corrected.

I didn't mention the 1911 as it has been used off and on for decades but the Glocks really turned things around.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jury Duty again tomorrow. Getting a little annoyed at how often I am called nowadays. Civic Duty is one thing. Being put in a pool three times before June is quite another.
Holman

Post by Holman »

LordMortis wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 4:03 pm Jury Duty again tomorrow. Getting a little annoyed at how often I am called nowadays. Civic Duty is one thing. Being put in a pool three times before June is quite another.
I've been told that Covid created a backlog of cases that are finally coming to trial (along with new cases that that are coming too).

In other words, there are more juries to fill (or to pretend to fill while lawyers work out plea bargains).
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

If you live in a pretty small county, then the pool of potential jurors is also limited. But yeah, that's bizarre.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I wish I could afford for cataract surgery on my dog.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

County only called me once. It's my local municipality that is now calling me for a second time in just over two months. Also, it's a pretty big district and county. Of course, it's a pretty crime filled district and county.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

About the the time I came to peace with my hands getting old I started noticing how old my neck is getting. Of course I'm clean shaven for the first time in like decade or more since my accident.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Had all my hair cut off....or rather buzzed off short. It was so long she asked if she could take before and after pictures to keep. Lol. So much lighter and cooler. Like having a built in airconditioner.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Today just blew by. Feels like a few minutes ago I was in town getting my hair cut but that was 11am.....10 hours ago. Its dark now. ZOOOOoooooooooooom.lightspeed day.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wish everything wouldn't turn on or come to life every time I plugged them in to charge or unplugged them from a charger. Im constantly having to turn off the phone and the tablet every time I charge or unplug it. Just stay in the state you were in when I plugged you in.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Just got my lowest electric bill in 30 years...$92. Thanks to turning off central heat and air.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Yup that'll do it. Especially an older unit with leaky ducts.
telcta

Post by telcta »

Not sure how many golfers are on their board but I found a local golf/bar that has an amazing virtual golf setup where you can play many courses and also check your form and get tons of data on your swings. It’s been ages sing I’ve played gold but this place seems like a lot of fun where you get a bunch of friends together and play some golf where you’re actually driving golf balls into a screen.

It’s also a bar which I excel at so I just hung out and talked to the guy running the place since it was slow and he showed me how you can analyze your swing and all the data points it collects with each swing.

Look at all this data!

Enlarge Image

I jokingly told him he was holding his club wrong.

Last time I played golf, gps was just being added to golf carts so I’m sure this is probably commonplace for a lot of people but it was new and amazing to me this evening.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I don't play golf anymore, but I might need to take it back up. The PGA HQ is basically in my backyard, you know the same backyard that is getting a new Universal theme park, now and hosting the senior PGA championship this weekend.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter