Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Brian

Re: Random randomness

Post by Brian »

Are you telling me that Billy Gibbons WANTS to be waxed?

'Cuz I'm thinking my original point still stands.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

I’d watch this once at least
I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Do you have an uncanny ability to sense time? It seems like I hit (within a small margin of error) more than I should. Tonight, the last time I remembered seeing was 8:18. I went and cleaned some stuff and framed a record. I asked my wife what time it was. 9:37 sounded right. It was 9:36.

Obviously, this doesn't happen every time. And you're going to remember your hits, not your misses. But I'm confident it happens more than it should.

One of my guesses is I'm seeing clock times absentmindedly out of my visual focus, and integrating what I saw subconsciously.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I wake up a few times during the night. My guess before looking at the clock is within 15 minutes.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Sudy wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:50 pm Do you have an uncanny ability to sense time?
When I read this I decided it felt like 11:30. It's 11:45. Not very good considering I had last looked at a clock around 10:30.

I had a sharper sense of time when I was younger and it mattered more. Time is fluid when you work from home and only interact with people by email.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

dbt1949 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:22 pm I wake up a few times during the night. My guess before looking at the clock is within 15 minutes.
I do the same thing. I also impress myself with my accuracy. I even nailed it once or twice in the middle of the night.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

This one had me laughing. And yes, they are real places in Newfoundland. I think IceBear will appreciate this one. Basically, a man from Dildo, Newfoundland, spotted a phallic-shaped iceberg over in Conception Bay. The fact that it all happened in proximity to these place names is rather amusing.

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/only-in-new ... ijAQFCUhSk
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Found a little mouse in the bottom of my kitchen trash can. Its a big metal 30 gal can. He was too cute to murder and I hate killing stuff so tried to catch him. You'd be surprised just how long a mouse the size of your thumb can avoid being caught in the bottom of a trash can. It finally dawned on me he will bite if I do catch him and I dont want pre emptive rabies shots so I put on my thick leather work gloves.

he finally tired enough to let me pick him up. About the time we cleared the top of the can he bit me. Well tried too. Barely felt it on my pinky. If not for the gloves it would have got me good. But didn't do anything to the me or the gloves. He held on until I turned to head for the door and then he let go and jumped out of my hand and ran for it. Little shits are fast.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

And later on this evening he gets scared and finds a way back into you house.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I had a Uri Geller moment. I stirred my coffee with a metal spoon and was holding it by one end while I took a sip. Then I felt a strange force pulling the spoon up and down like a dowsing rod.

I figured out there is a magnet in the lid of my coffee cup, not aliens.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My butt and my belly have switched polarities. My butt is flatter than it used to be and my belly is rounder than it used to be.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont have much money so I was very happy to get a $7 coupon from White Castle for a box of sliders. Then what did I do? I checked out and paid for it without using the damn coupon. It wasn't until I was across town 6 stops later I saw the coupon still in my wallet. ARGH! Nothing new ..I never remember coupons. My wife usually reminded me when we had one but we had them so seldomly its not a thing I can remember...especially on my own now.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Whats up with all the tipping places now and rounding up the bill? I had two places ask to round up and I swear Baskin Robbins has a tipping thing now. I ordered a drink and at the window the first thing the girl did was stick this electronic "Pick your tip" thing at me. Ive never seen that there before. WTF. Doesn't any damn place pay their employees to do their job? Wjy do I have to do it?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Daehawk wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 3:13 pm Whats up with all the tipping places now and rounding up the bill? I had two places ask to round up and I swear Baskin Robbins has a tipping thing now. I ordered a drink and at the window the first thing the girl did was stick this electronic "Pick your tip" thing at me. Ive never seen that there before. WTF. Doesn't any damn place pay their employees to do their job? Wjy do I have to do it?
You can always just put in 0%. Having worked in a restaurant I usually throw them a bone.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Fast food places started adding the "tipping" line after COVID. I always tip well at sit-down restaurants but I draw the line at tipping for fast food.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well life just keeps falling apart bit by bit now. The UPS place is right around the corner from me...barely have to hop in my car before I have to hop out again. From home to there and back home is like 4 or 5 min. Its the main distribution center for this town and has always had a little office area where the public can drop off and mail packages at 4pm. Now no more. The girl said they stopped that last Oct. She took my package since it was pre paid but from now on I have to go to the UPS store...Stuart road...waaaaaaay on the other side of town from me. thats a 15 - 20 min drive just to get there. Fuck. Always something. Bit by bit.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The only constant is change.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

gilraen wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 4:12 pm Fast food places started adding the "tipping" line after COVID. I always tip well at sit-down restaurants but I draw the line at tipping for fast food.
I eat fast food so seldom that I haven't encountered this. However, I did start tipping for takeout during the pandemic, and continue to do so.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 4:42 pm
gilraen wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 4:12 pm Fast food places started adding the "tipping" line after COVID. I always tip well at sit-down restaurants but I draw the line at tipping for fast food.
I eat fast food so seldom that I haven't encountered this. However, I did start tipping for takeout during the pandemic, and continue to do so.
I don't really do fast food COVID/Quit work but I do occasionally get carry out of one step above fast food and they all have tip jars and credit card machines that default to tip 15% 18% 20% Other. I don't care for the trend. Essentially, it's another way to move your employment costs on to me even after prices have already increased 20% every where I'd carry out. So I get carry out even less now as well. $9 for a carryout sandwich plus another buck fifty guilt tip and then tax makes for $11+ sandwich. I still have to wait for the sandwich to get made, I might as well make one myself. My only exception is Lee's. Fried Chicken is a few times a year treat and I can't make anything approaching the goodness they make, so $8.50 on sale Wednesday for a three piece chicken with biscuit, 1/2 cup mashed potatoes, and 1/2 cup mac and cheese coming out to $11 is steep but not worth staying away from. Mmmm Lee's. When I can drive again, I'm going there.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

LordMortis wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 4:54 pm default to tip 15% 18% 20% Other
in Seattle it's 20%, 23%, 25%, 30%, OTHER

if it's a fast food place or i'm picking something up at the counter to go, i'm going with OTHER - 0%
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

As a person who delivers your sandwich is it worthwhile to you to deliver an $11 sandwich for 10%? You'd use more than that in gas.
I just don't see how any of these deliverers can make a profit on so small an order.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 6:11 pm As a person who delivers your sandwich is it worthwhile to you to deliver an $11 sandwich for 10%? You'd use more than that in gas.
I just don't see how any of these deliverers can make a profit on so small an order.
especially if the additional $8 in delivery fees don't go to the driver at all
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 6:11 pm As a person who delivers your sandwich is it worthwhile to you to deliver an $11 sandwich for 10%? You'd use more than that in gas.
I dunno. I don't do delivery, really. There is often a delivery fee and a minimum tip for a driver $5 for an easy around the corner delivery. A bigger or more complex order, a bigger travel = more. And that is the measure I used from the before times. I think I tipped $10 a pop for crazy expensive $30 pizza twice during COVID. Now for $10 I can get in the car and go... Or I can when the doctor lets me drive.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

So my $11 hamburger has a $5 service charge and a minimum $5 tip and it costs a minimum of $21.
It better be a really good hamburger.
With my groceries I pay a monthly fee for the delivery to save a little in the long run and then I give them a 20% tip. The delivery people are usually (but not always) single moms.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I only get delivery from two places, a sub shop and a Chinese takeout; both have a flat $4 delivery fee and offer contactless dropoff, so there's no tipping the driver. The doorbell rings and my food is sitting on the porch. I add a 20% tip if I'm getting delivery or 15% if I'm picking up. I presume the drivers get a piece of tips but that's between them and their employer.

Labor is tight around here and more than a few restaurants have closed or cut back their hours because they can't find enough workers. If tipping helps my favorite places retain employees and stay open, it's worth the few extra bucks. I can afford it once or twice a month. I might have a different opinion if I got carryout more often than that, but the pandemic left me with a lasting appreciation for menial workers.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I hate Pizza Hut on delivery and no longer get it. They run $10 pizza deals a lot but with delivery its like $23. They have a stupid delviery fee but its not a driver tip...you're still expected to do that too .F that.

I got door dash when I was food poisoned because I needed fluids and didn't feel like going myself. A $20 order came to $40. So much for DD.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It's been probably more than 20 years since the last time I ordered out for anything like pizza, so I have no idea what the situation is with fees and tipping these days. I do use Instacart for grocery shopping/delivery now, and I tip 20% for that. It works out to something like paying minimum wage for someone to run the COVID gauntlet at a supermarket on my behalf, so I don't begrudge the tip. The shoppers aren't making a go of it just on the portion of fees that they get from Instacart, that's for sure.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The shoppers aren't making a go of it just on the portion of fees that they get from Instacart, that's for sure.
But thats not your fault. Thats on Instacart and any employer. Why should the customer pay the salaries of employees? I think thats the gist of the matter.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

As a customer, you always pay the employees of any business you deal with. If it isn't in an upfront manner (like tipping a gig worker) then it's through other fees or higher prices. TANSTAAFL.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Daehawk wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:48 am
The shoppers aren't making a go of it just on the portion of fees that they get from Instacart, that's for sure.
But thats not your fault. Thats on Instacart and any employer. Why should the customer pay the salaries of employees? I think thats the gist of the matter.
Eliminate tipping and the charge from the employer goes up so that they can pay the employees. Those who don't tip or tip smaller amounts will end up paying more while big tippers will end up paying less.

I'm not saying one way is superior to the other (although gun to my head I'd probably prefer all charges be put into the price and eliminate tipping), but that's the way it works.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:37 pm I'm not saying one way is superior to the other (although gun to my head I'd probably prefer all charges be put into the price and eliminate tipping), but that's the way it works.
That's me. Not sure even about eating out any more. 18% or $2 a head with a minimum of $3, whatever the is the most, is now the tax on eating out no matter the service. I'm not sure when that changed from $1 and 15% and why, as the price of food seems to have kept pace with inflation. That said, it figures in to my decision when I think about if I want to eat out or not. A burger and fries with water at a minimal sit down joint is now around $14 after tax and tip. The only way I'm paying $14 to be served a burger and fries is if it is part of a non habitual social occasion. But that's me.

I'd prefer the service provider to provide a wage and then be the ones accountable for the help they hire. But it is what it is.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I never eat out. If I did Id pray for lousy service or none at all so Id not have to tip.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

For some reason all the text on You Tube has changed to italics. Even after a reboot. Has this happened to anyone else? Any way to change it?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Jaymann wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 1:31 pm For some reason all the text on You Tube has changed to italics. Even after a reboot. Has this happened to anyone else? Any way to change it?
Google search says to try a hard reload - CRTL+F5.

Edit: Reddit shows it happening to a bunch of people - but only those not on a chromium browser. It started relatively recently...like in the last hour.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its ok to me . Im on FireFox.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Looks fine for me in Chrome.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

stessier wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 1:42 pm
Jaymann wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 1:31 pm For some reason all the text on You Tube has changed to italics. Even after a reboot. Has this happened to anyone else? Any way to change it?
Google search says to try a hard reload - CRTL+F5.
Thanks! That did the trick.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

If it’s in italics, it’s more extreme programming.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

well woke straight up at 4:30am...now its 5am...guess Im starting the day early for a change.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

LordMortis wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:55 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:37 pm I'm not saying one way is superior to the other (although gun to my head I'd probably prefer all charges be put into the price and eliminate tipping), but that's the way it works.
That's me. Not sure even about eating out any more. 18% or $2 a head with a minimum of $3, whatever the is the most, is now the tax on eating out no matter the service. I'm not sure when that changed from $1 and 15% and why, as the price of food seems to have kept pace with inflation. That said, it figures in to my decision when I think about if I want to eat out or not. A burger and fries with water at a minimal sit down joint is now around $14 after tax and tip. The only way I'm paying $14 to be served a burger and fries is if it is part of a non habitual social occasion. But that's me.

I'd prefer the service provider to provide a wage and then be the ones accountable for the help they hire. But it is what it is.
20% is my floor unless the service is truly awful. I've worked as a busboy and waiter and it sucked. They deserve their tips. We have, for whatever reason, decided it's fine to pay certain people $2.13 an hour with the expectation they will make it up in tips. As long as that's the paradigm, if I choose to not make my own food I'm tipping generously.