Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: Random randomness

Post by Daehawk »

Jaymon wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:40 pm
Daehawk wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:06 pm Let the radio play while I was in the shower. The Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls started to play. 38 years ago I was probably in the shower getting ready to head out for fun and that same song played. Doesn't seem that long. What a life. Then Journey's Dont Stop Believing started. Its a nice life. Its been fun.
Call the police, there's a mad man around!
Running down underground to a dive bar in a west end town.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

We don't even have a west end.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Locally we had malls and shopping areas named Eastegate Mall, Northgate Mall and even a smaller Southgate Plaza and movie. But never a Westgate. North of us we do have a West Town Mall at Knoxville in east TN Ive been to.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Eastgate
Westport
Northgate
Southport

standard naming convention
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

My city was named after its mall in a vote to keep it from being annexed by the city north of us

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westland_Shopping_Center

The least impressive of the malls in SE Michigan. Still, they had a toy store, a record shop, and TShirt shop, so it was still a treat to go there growing up from the next town over.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

We have a West Fork, but it's east of me.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Brian

Post by Brian »

We have a North Fork (Norfork) which is west of us except that when the town incorporated, somebody messed up the name of the town and now it's officially Norfolk but the locals still pronounce it as NorFORK.

Norfolk, NE
The original name of the colony was a variant of "North Fork", but accounts differ on the exact name: "Northfork", "Nor'fork", and "Nordfork" are all suggested. The name was submitted to federal postal authorities, and at some point was transmuted to "Norfolk". Nebraskans typically pronounce it as "Norfork".
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think I need to get one of those squishy stress balls to deform and make and eyeball bulge out or something.. So...much.....stress.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I live in Norfolk County. Suffolk is north of me.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

There used to be a Northglenn Mall and Southglenn Mall in the Denver suburbs. There's a suburb that's called Northglenn but there was never one called Southglenn.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Brian wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:58 pm We have a North Fork (Norfork) which is west of us except that when the town incorporated, somebody messed up the name of the town and now it's officially Norfolk but the locals still pronounce it as NorFORK.

Norfolk, NE
The original name of the colony was a variant of "North Fork", but accounts differ on the exact name: "Northfork", "Nor'fork", and "Nordfork" are all suggested. The name was submitted to federal postal authorities, and at some point was transmuted to "Norfolk". Nebraskans typically pronounce it as "Norfork".
I've been to Norfork or Norfolk. We played them in Basketball and volleyball. I've also been to Wahoo (not as fun as you might think), Grand Island (not as majestic as you'd hope), Papillion (not covered with butterflies) and Greenwood (Baker's Candies has some surprisingly good chocolates).
dbt1949 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:45 pm We don't even have a west end.
But do you have a holler?
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

More hollars than I can shout at.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

No west-anything, but we do have a Toad Hop and a Lickskillet.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Lickskillet
Ive always found thats a name that stuck in my head from the first time I went to Six Flags Over Georgia. Thy had a Lickskillet area and its the first one I went through. I memorized it....not hard...so I wouldn't get lost in that park. It still gives me a zing to see or hear that name today. Also because of the fun girl memories that park gave me.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Hrothgar wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:10 pm... Grand Island (not as majestic as you'd hope)...
As far as I can tell, neither grand nor an island.

I will say that the Heartland Museum of Military Vehicles in Lexington, NE on I80 is worth a stop if you are travelling that route.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Kewl
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

My neighbor is out there mowing his grass. I must kill him.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Yes do that. Its too damn early in the year to start that shit.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Hodor.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Was headed home on the highway bypass I usually use. I usually drive 5-10 mph faster than the speed limit unless theres a police presence out. Today Im a little faster as usual and notice a red pickup behind me also my speed. I dont want to pull into the slow lane because they are actually slow so I speed up a little more....aand a little more. I notice Im now doing 75 -80 mph on a 55 and think this would be my day to get a ticket. Hmmm . But I continue on because the guy behind me is still right with me.

Its then I notice a white pickup Im coming up on fast and think I can finally have an excuse to slow down...but this truck moves over to let me continue on. Wow nice I think. Usually people are smart enough or considerate enough to get out of your way.

Its then I notice Im passing a Sheriff's Office police truck...who is doing the speed limit of 55 and Im doing 75. Aw fuck. Too late by then of course. But then I lucked out somehow. My turn came up as Im passing him so I quickly slow and get in my turn lane and my turn is green so I turn. As Im turning the through light is also green and I see that red pickup that was behind me pass me and pass the police car too. By then Im turned and out of line of sight ..weeeee. I dont know if the cop pulled him over or was having a good day and didn't bother with either of us. I just sighed and now will not speed for at least a month ticket or no ticket.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

hepcat is in mourning.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

About cancelling my favorite day of the year to take the subway? Hell yeah!

About Daehawk getting away with pretending to be a clearance rack Burt Reynolds in Cannonball Run? Not particularly.

My random pet peeve of the day: how many more goddamn movies are going to force feed me yet another Billie Eilish copycat song in which they can’t actually sing so they do that breathy, Marilyn Monroe baby voice like they’re singing Happy Birthday to Kennedy, but then substitute the lyrics with something even more ridiculously puerile? Then to top it off, they don’t even try to fit their lyrics into the damn rhythm of the song. They just extend the sentences and run them into the next bar. I swear to God, I cannot wait for that to fall out of fashion. Give me a Florence Welch or Karen O any day of the week. :x
He won. Period.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I'm at the point where these is just SO much stuff to watch on streaming services, that I don't even really bother to pay attention to any of it anymore.
There's at least a dozen series that I have at least some interest in, but can't bring myself to make the time investment to actually get through any of them.

It's a weird feeling.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:59 pm I'm at the point where these is just SO much stuff to watch on streaming services, that I don't even really bother to pay attention to any of it anymore.
There's at least a dozen series that I have at least some interest in, but can't bring myself to make the time investment to actually get through any of them.

It's a weird feeling.
Yeah, I'm paying somewhere around $100/mo for streaming services that crank out way more new shows and movies than I can even keep track of. So what am I watching? Farscape, on Tubi (free).
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:23 pm Yeah, I'm paying somewhere around $100/mo for streaming services that crank out way more new shows and movies than I can even keep track of. So what am I watching? Farscape, on Tubi (free).
:shock:

I'm still on the fence about cutting the cord but I don't want to go through the hassle of stream service shopping. My main watch is CNBC to keep me company unless Joe Kernan sets a bad editorial ass tone for me and forces me turn them off. I looked at moving them over to streaming but I'm not paying $30 a month for just CNBC and as part of a larger live stream package, I'm still not saving money. I do look forward to the day I cut the cord and then do one or two services at a time to finally catch the decade plus list of stuff everyone has loved on service X, Y, and Z. Though I'd probably end up doing what I used to do when I went to a music store with a pocket full of money and not focused on a purchasing a specific artist or album. Spend an hour figuring out what I want to do and then not do anything. I'm thinking currently cable cutting would drop my bill about $50 a month, so that would have to be absolute max I would spend on any combo of services at one time.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Right now all I get is Amazon Prime. I save enough with free shipping that it pays for the movies.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I leech off my daughter's Amazon Prime, Netflix, HBO, and Disney+. But she leeches rent and utilities off me, so I would say that's a fair trade.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:38 pm Right now all I get is Amazon Prime. I save enough with free shipping that it pays for the movies.
And the Prime Visa pays a 5% rebate on all Amazon purchases (plus 1.5% on everything else), which more than covers the annual fee. I don't even think of Prime as a paid streaming service. Most of my streaming spend is on YouTube TV, which is basically the same thing as cable.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Not to mention the free games and DLC, though it tends not to be top-tier stuff. Prime is amazing value, it just sucks when I realize I'm supporting Amazon. But I mean, the ability not to continues to evaporate.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:36 pm I'm still on the fence about cutting the cord but I don't want to go through the hassle of stream service shopping.
I actually still have cable through Comcast. :oops:

Really only because I haven't found a good streaming alternative for sports. And because I'm too lazy to call them and cancel.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:57 pm
LordMortis wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:36 pm I'm still on the fence about cutting the cord but I don't want to go through the hassle of stream service shopping.

Really only because I haven't found a good streaming alternative for sports. And because I'm too lazy to call them and cancel.
Don't feel too bad, I have a massive cable bills (because my wife won't let me kill it) and subs to every major streaming service. On the plus side, all that is cheaper than half a week's groceries. :P
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

YTTV is basically streaming cable...and costs about the same. I hid all the sports and children's channels but there are a ton of both, plus all the networks.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Kraken wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:31 pm

YTTV is basically streaming cable...and costs about the same. I hid all the sports and children's channels but there are a ton of both, plus all the networks.
Just checked. YTTV with the Sports package would actually be more than I'm paying Comcast now, and it would have less sports channels and doesn't include the Pac12 Network (which is a necessity for University of Utah sports). So definitely a no-go there.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The coworker no one wants to work with was on a tear this week. He sent out a nasty email pointing out that his HSA insurance contribution was short for the second time in two years by his calculations. Seems they have a rounding issue because of the way they changed how it’s distributed throughout the year in order to avoid overfunding (which apparently is a no no).

He was calling people incompetent in emails, telling everyone how this doesn’t bode well for the company’s survival with such people in accounting.

How much was he shorted?

….64 cents.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Is he disabled and working to make some extra money? If not get rid of him as a hindrance to the work group.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

That kind of language doesn't bode well for his future.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jaymon wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:05 pm Eastgate
Westport
Northgate
Southport

England has regions knowns as Essex, Wessex and Sussex.

There is no Nossex because, after all, who would want to live there?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Holman wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:24 am
Jaymon wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:05 pm Eastgate
Westport
Northgate
Southport

England has regions knowns as Essex, Wessex and Sussex.

There is no Nossex because, after all, who would want to live there?
Horny Norse people?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles