Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: Random randomness

Post by Daehawk »

God thats just horrible. Hope they fry him.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Holman

Post by Holman »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:04 pm God thats just horrible. Hope they fry him.
If he keeps driving Teslas, that will happen eventually.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

You can never trust somebody from Pasadena.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Brian

Post by Brian »

Not even the little old lady?
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Not if she is in her red super stock Dodge
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Let the radio play while I was in the shower. The Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls started to play. 38 years ago I was probably in the shower getting ready to head out for fun and that same song played. Doesn't seem that long. What a life. Then Journey's Dont Stop Believing started. Its a nice life. Its been fun.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Yeah. What a life.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:16 am It sounds like operator error to me.
The incident happened after a new year storm left around 3ft of fresh snowfall on the ground, Washoe County Sheriff Darin Balaam said in a press conference.

A family member driving Renner's car had got stuck in the snow near his house, the sheriff said. Using his snow plough, Renner successfully towed the car free.

He then got out to talk to his relative, but the snow plough began to move while empty.

Renner was trying to get back into the driver's seat to stop it moving, when the "extremely large" piece of equipment ran him over, Mr Balaam said.

The PistenBully weighs at least 14,330lb, he said. The average weight of a car, according to the US Environmental Protection Agency, is 4,289lb (2 tonnes).

"An eyewitness detailed seeing Mr Renner getting into the PistenBully and not seeing him again until the PistenBully came to a rest in a pile of snow in front of his driveway," Mr Balaam said.

Renner is a "great neighbour" and always uses his snow plough to clear local roads, the sheriff added.
From the pictures, it looks like it would be pretty easy to get caught up in the tracks if you try entering the cab while it's moving. Apparently he's had plenty of experience operating the equipment, but you only need to fuck up once to have a bad day.
The 911 reports have been released
“[Renner] is moaning loudly in the background – serious bleeding,” the 911 dispatcher notes in the call log. “[Renner] is bleeding heavily from his head and other [unknown] injuries - [responding person] isn’t sure where all the blood is coming from.”

Another note in the log says that Renner was “completely crushed under a large snowcat [vehicle]” and that Renner has “extreme [difficulty] breathing.” It goes on to read that, “the right side of his chest is collapsed – upper torso is crushed.”
Talk about lucky to be alive.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You use something long enough you feel you're an expert and take chances you'd never take when just starting to use it . Unsafe ones. Hope he makes a rrecovery.

Came out of Walmart today to see a car waiting on a parking spot down my aisle. I get to the aisle and pass them and see theres a free spot just 2 spaces down from them. I get all the way to my car and pack the trunk then see the guy is just getting into his space. Damn man. He could have parked in the one 2 spaces dow nand got into the store and started shopping by then.

Got some of these. They taste ok..nothing special..not not much like a philly cheesesteak. They smell better than they taste. Which is usally the other way around.

Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Back to this. Why cant gyms just take a credit card for payment? Why do they also want your bank account and routing number for membership? It seems unsafe and fishy. Its weird.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:16 am Back to this. Why cant gyms just take a credit card for payment? Why do they also want your bank account and routing number for membership? It seems unsafe and fishy. Its weird.
The credit card company shaves 2-3%. The bank transfer is effectively free. That 2-3% adds up.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

gbasden wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:27 am
Daehawk wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:16 am Back to this. Why cant gyms just take a credit card for payment? Why do they also want your bank account and routing number for membership? It seems unsafe and fishy. Its weird.
The credit card company shaves 2-3%. The bank transfer is effectively free. That 2-3% adds up.
This. And once they have access for direct payment, reversing charges paid before cancellation is such a hassle, there is not a 0 chance you'll let it go. The bank won't side with you, while a CC company will cancel payment and ask questions later. CCs act as a firewall against recurring payments where you just kiss your money goodbye. I've had auto insurance and a utility company put me through hell to fix their mistakes. As a result, the only people I let do direct debit are the ones who won't let me use a CC.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The last time I had an issue with a direct withdrawal like that (a company kept pulling after I told them to stop), I ended up having to close the bank account and open a new one. Since then I've been very, very leery of allowing any company direct access to my bank.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

"I want to quit the bank!"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I use direct payment through my bank to pay my rent and taxes, but neither of them are able to pull money from my account. Everything else goes through my credit card or Paypal (which is connected to my credit card, not a bank account).
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:40 pm The last time I had an issue with a direct withdrawal like that (a company kept pulling after I told them to stop), I ended up having to close the bank account and open a new one. Since then I've been very, very leery of allowing any company direct access to my bank.
That was where I stopped letting direct debit happen when possible. My CU informed me when I trying to stop payments to the Auto Insurance Co, that the only way I could prevent to continued debits on my end was to close the account. I was :shock: And have never given a company access since. My cable co still does direct debit and that is only because they won't take a CC payment and they charge like a combined $10 a month more to not paperless autopay from a debit account.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

This thread just reminded me...Comcast is going to cut the autopay discount in half in a couple of months if paid with a credit card. They want the bank/routing number now too. This is likely catching up in response to credit card processing fees going up last year.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I will use my bank routing for some payments, but only if I have to approve a one-time payment each month. No automatic payments.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

gilraen wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:22 pm This thread just reminded me...Comcast is going to cut the autopay discount in half in a couple of months if paid with a credit card. They want the bank/routing number now too. This is likely catching up in response to credit card processing fees going up last year.
Verizon is pitching a $10 discount on phone service if I give them a silo into my personal checking account. So far I've resisted. I did let them into my business checking account to pay for FIOS internet.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Yet the gym also requires a card along with the bank info. Seems so fishy. And unsafe.

I set my mortgage up with its own bank for auto withdrawal because I didn't trust them. About 5 payments in they did a double withdrawl. It was lucky I only put enough in there for a single payment each month. Also lucky my bank didn't charge me a fee. The mortgage company tried to and even kept that fee active after they said they removed it twice. Took 3 times for them to actually remove it. I turned off auto withdrawal then.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Anything special I should know about cooking thick t-bone steak? Im poor so I have always had the cheap thin tbones. But my neighbor friend gave me a 2 pack of 1" think monster t-bones.

I like mine medium rare and my usual cooking method is a backwards sear or reverse sear. I take them out and let them cool to near room temp for about 30 - 45 min on the counter. I also super salt them at this time..I mean heaping salt almost. When ready to cook after sitting I either rinse the salt off or wipe it good and dry it. The oil it up. I heat the oven to 450 - 500 then oil the steak and put it in a cast iron skillet. I cook about 3-4 min per side...usually 3. Then I put it on a red hot stove eye and sear both sides....about 30 sec per side. Ive found it works much better and tastes better than searing it first.

But with these real thick ones Im not sure how done inside they would be. Im thinking my usual way but oven bake each side 4 - 5 min. Would that be too long?
disarm

Post by disarm »

I just did a big porterhouse in a similar way last weekend when it was raining too much to use my grill. I start with the skillet heated in a 500-degree oven, transfer it from the oven to a burner on high, and sear the prepped steak (olive oil, salt, pepper) for about 30 seconds on each side. After searing the second side, I flip it again and throw the whole skillet back in the 500-degree oven. You only need about 2.5 minutes on each side in the oven to reach medium rare on a 1-1.5" steak. Get it right and you'll have a steak that's just as good as anything coming off a gas grill.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I only have a little charcoal grill that I haven't used in....5 -6 years. I was going to use it last year and when I got it out it still have the used charcoal in it from last time me and the wife used it lol. Next year may be the year.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It is next year.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:06 pm Anything special I should know about cooking thick t-bone steak? Im poor so I have always had the cheap thin tbones. But my neighbor friend gave me a 2 pack of 1" think monster t-bones.

I like mine medium rare and my usual cooking method is a backwards sear or reverse sear. I take them out and let them cool to near room temp for about 30 - 45 min on the counter. I also super salt them at this time..I mean heaping salt almost. When ready to cook after sitting I either rinse the salt off or wipe it good and dry it. The oil it up. I heat the oven to 450 - 500 then oil the steak and put it in a cast iron skillet. I cook about 3-4 min per side...usually 3. Then I put it on a red hot stove eye and sear both sides....about 30 sec per side. Ive found it works much better and tastes better than searing it first.

But with these real thick ones Im not sure how done inside they would be. Im thinking my usual way but oven bake each side 4 - 5 min. Would that be too long?
I'd suggest following this simple 'Steak University' guide and recipe, courtesy of MyChicagoSteak.com:
MyChicagoSteak.com wrote:Oven Cooking T-Bone Instructions
Use the step-by-step guide along with the recipe below to learn how to cook T-bone in the oven.

Step 1: Prepare to Cook T-Bone in the Oven
This step takes 45 minutes, so plan accordingly. Salt the steaks on both sides, using your fingers to rub the salt into the steak. Allow them to sit at room temperature for 45 minutes. Meanwhile, spray a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray and, about 10 minutes before cooking, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Step 2: Sear the T-Bone
Prep a cast-iron skillet by adding butter or oil and preheating it to high heat. Sprinkle your choice of seasonings on both sides of the steaks. Add steaks to the skillet. Sear for 3-5 minutes. You should see a brownish crust form on the outside. Use tongs to flip the steak to the other side and sear for another 3-5 minutes.

Step 3: Cook T-Bone in the Oven
Place T-bone steaks on the rimmed baking sheet and into the preheated oven on the middle rack. Set a timer for ten minutes. Check the temperature of the thickest part of a T-bone to determine its doneness based on the temperature chart above for your doneness level. If needed, cook for another ten minutes or so until the steaks reach your desired temperature.

Step 4: Take Time to Rest the Steak
Transfer steaks to a clean plate tented with foil to rest for 5-10 minutes. After resting, check that the temperature of the steak reaches the ideal final temperature range for your doneness level.

Oven-Cooked T-Bone Recipe
Serves: 2

Prep Time: 45 minutes

Cooking Time: 30-40 minutes

Ingredients:
  • 2 14-ounce T-bone steaks
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • 2 tbsp butter or olive oil
Instructions:
  • Salt the T-bone steaks generously on both sides. Keep at room temperature for 45 minutes prior to cooking. Lightly spray a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray. About 10 minutes before cooking, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  • Add butter or oil to a cast-iron skillet and heat to high. Sprinkle steaks with ground black pepper and other preferred seasonings to taste. Sear on each side for 3-5 minutes until golden brown.
  • Move steaks to the baking sheet and add to the oven on the middle rack. Bake for 10-20 minutes until a thermometer reads within the first temperature range for your desired doneness level based on the above temperature chart.
  • Transfer steaks to a clean plate tented with foil to rest for 5-10 minutes and check the temperature before serving.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

That is a longer slower temp to oven it. Seems completely different.

Mental note: Really need to get a cooking thermometer someday as about everything tells me to use one and cook to 160 inside. Never used one in my life.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

disarm wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:37 pm I just did a big porterhouse in a similar way last weekend when it was raining too much to use my grill. I start with the skillet heated in a 500-degree oven, transfer it from the oven to a burner on high, and sear the prepped steak (olive oil, salt, pepper) for about 30 seconds on each side. After searing the second side, I flip it again and throw the whole skillet back in the 500-degree oven. You only need about 2.5 minutes on each side in the oven to reach medium rare on a 1-1.5" steak. Get it right and you'll have a steak that's just as good as anything coming off a gas grill.
I will try that next weekend. Wife will be away and my grill is hibernating for the winter. I've cooked steaks in cast iron on the burner a couple of times and the result has been OK, but not great. Maybe using the oven will reduce the smoke, which is a real problem on the stovetop.

However, pepper doesn't like high heat. I recommend adding that when cooking is finished.
Anonymous Bosch

Daehawk wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:29 am That is a longer slower temp to oven it. Seems completely different.

Mental note: Really need to get a cooking thermometer someday as about everything tells me to use one and cook to 160 inside. Never used one in my life.
That's just how normal searing works. A conventional sear starts with room-temperature beef and a seriously hot cast iron pan, grill, or griddle. You put the steak on the hot surface and let it set for a minute or two. Flip it and wait a minute or two. Next, you remove it from the high heat and finish cooking it at a low temperature. A reverse sear is nothing more than reversing that process. You start by cooking it at a low temperature until it is nearly done. Then, you remove it and put it on a hot grill, cast iron pan, or griddle. The goal is to slowly increase the temperature of your steak until it reaches between 117 and 122°F for a perfect medium rare steak, which is why it's better to keep it a constant, low heat rather than blasting it at 450 - 500°F. Searing or reverse searing this way provides for more reliably consistent results, with minimal risk of overcooking.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok Ill try that lower slower way tomorrow and see if it comes out more tender. I have used my method a long time because I once read chicken needs lower slower or its fibers get tough and steaks were the opposite and fast hot is the way.
Anonymous Bosch

Daehawk wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:29 am Mental note: Really need to get a cooking thermometer someday as about everything tells me to use one and cook to 160 inside. Never used one in my life.
BTW, if you'd like a reliable yet inexpensive digital instant read thermometer, I'd recommend following the guidance from Serious Eats:

The Best Inexpensive Digital Instant Read Thermometers, According to Our Tests
SeriousEats.com wrote:Straight to the Point

The ThermoWorks ThermoPop 2 and Lavatools Javelin Digital Instant Read Meat Thermometer are our favorite inexpensive digital thermometers. We don't believe you'd be disappointed in the performance of either of them.
You can certainly purchase thermometers that are even cheaper still. But as explained in the linked article, you'll sacrifice accuracy and precision, which kinda defeats the purpose. I'd suggest opting for the Lavatools thermometer, since it's the least expensive of the two. It also has an integrated magnet, so you can store it right on your refrigerator or oven, without needing to dig it out of a drawer or cupboard.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

hexahectaenneacontakaiheptagon: a 697-sided polygon

[edit: updated link, per gbasden's post, below]
Last edited by The Meal on Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I have fixed an incorrect link
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

The Meal wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:47 am hexahectaenneacontakaiheptagon: a 697-sided polygon
Did you mean for that link to go to Urban Legends and Myths of Colorado? It was interesting, but I'm not sure what Hatchel Lady has to do with a hexahectaenneacontakaiheptagon?
disarm

Post by disarm »

Kraken wrote:
disarm wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:37 pm I just did a big porterhouse in a similar way last weekend when it was raining too much to use my grill. I start with the skillet heated in a 500-degree oven, transfer it from the oven to a burner on high, and sear the prepped steak (olive oil, salt, pepper) for about 30 seconds on each side. After searing the second side, I flip it again and throw the whole skillet back in the 500-degree oven. You only need about 2.5 minutes on each side in the oven to reach medium rare on a 1-1.5" steak. Get it right and you'll have a steak that's just as good as anything coming off a gas grill.
I will try that next weekend. Wife will be away and my grill is hibernating for the winter. I've cooked steaks in cast iron on the burner a couple of times and the result has been OK, but not great. Maybe using the oven will reduce the smoke, which is a real problem on the stovetop.

However, pepper doesn't like high heat. I recommend adding that when cooking is finished.
Unfortunately, smoke can still be a little bit of an issue just because you're using olive oil and high heat due to its smoke point around 375-400 degrees (assuming you have EVOO). If you want to reduce the smoke, you can try using canola oil, which has a higher smoke point and neutral flavor. There are a few other oils with higher smoke points (sunflower, avocado, peanut), but they're less common to have around or impart more of their own flavor.

My skillet/oven method comes straight from Alton Brown/Good Eats and is the way I've cooked my steaks indoor for years with great results.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I switched to canola oil over a decade ago. I dont like olive oil. Love olives though.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

gbasden wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:00 am
The Meal wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:47 am hexahectaenneacontakaiheptagon: a 697-sided polygon
Did you mean for that link to go to Urban Legends and Myths of Colorado? It was interesting, but I'm not sure what Hatchel Lady has to do with a hexahectaenneacontakaiheptagon?
I did not expect that. The page I was trying to link to is one where the link updates as you scroll down, so in my complete insomnia (see the "We're getting old" thread for more on that...) I managed to use the updated link. I've changed the link in your quote, above, to something related to what I was trying to link to (but not my original source, which I couldn't find in 15 seconds of effort).
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well I feel old today. 2 cute girls flirted with me at different places today and I said nothing. Nada. In fact I didn't catch on ultil I was back in my care. Doh. Either that or Im so old I cant tell what flirting is any longer.

On another plus side my nurse was super cute and when she drew my blood really crammed my hand and arm into her nice chest...twice. And I don't think it had anything to do with blood drawing. Its probably her standard work thanks you but when done she said "If theres anything else I can do for you let me (smile)...which Ill assume was purely work talk but my mind said otherwise when I got to my car lol. Also I started smelling some wonderful perfume and knew it wasn't me.....the heat of the vent in the car was spreading it all in the car...was my hand lol. Her perfume was nice. Doesn't wash off either strangely.

So I feel old today and Im not sure if its because I missed 2 flirts or I misread them as flirts. The nurse was just a bonus lol. Well now Im old and lonelier. :)

Also I went to 5 food donation sites to drop off food and none were open and one didn't even take food anymore. Sad and annoying.
mori

Post by mori »

I am sure there are folks here that watch Hot Ones from First We Feast. I did the season 19 challenge. Makes you rethink things about yourself. I thought I could handle the heat but after the 5th or 6th one it hit like a tidal wave. I thought there was no way I would be able to complete the challenge. I rode the wave and continued on and the rest of the challenge went on without drama. Did I mix them up and ate them out of order? I don't think so but I have no way of knowing without doing it again which I am not about to do. The home edition does not contain the real Da' Bomb: Beyond Insanity but you get Da' Bomb Redemption which I guess they actually tried to give it some flavor and removed much of the capsaicin extract that destroys the guests. A couple of the sauces are almost gone (I really like Cosmic Disco) but I don't think Season 20 is in the cards for me.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont like pain for pains sake. I like flavor more.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Enlarge Image
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:06 pm Let the radio play while I was in the shower. The Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls started to play. 38 years ago I was probably in the shower getting ready to head out for fun and that same song played. Doesn't seem that long. What a life. Then Journey's Dont Stop Believing started. Its a nice life. Its been fun.
Call the police, there's a mad man around!
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.