Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Skinypupy

Re: Random randomness

Post by Skinypupy »

I spent 10 years traveling 2-3 weeks in very month for work, but haven’t travelled once since COVID hit. Today is my first work trip (Salt Lake to DC) since the pandemic.

Holy shit…I do not miss this AT ALL.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Madmarcus wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:39 am
LordMortis wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:11 am 29" are hard to find, especially when I had a tight 42" waist.
I'll bet that was tough! I have a hard time finding 29" inseam with a 34-36" waist.
+1. Even 36-38" x 30" are tough to find on the rack, I think because they sell out quickly. I don't like to buy pants online because there's too much variability in sizing. One company's 36" waist fits me just right while another's is way too tight.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

As a late Teen I wore 32x32. Thought it was cool how the numbers matched. But as Ive aged Ive gotten rounder and shorter. I wear 36x30 now. My weight changes so much. Was only a year or so ago I was in 34x30. Now I could wear 38x30 comfortably. Worst part is 36 is a little small in some styles and 38 is too big. I need a 37 which they dont make.

Im losing my extra weight a little at a time sitting here. :) You should see my carpenters jeans I got about 20 years ago. They are huge on...I could get two of my legs in each side and the waist it huge too. I tighten a belt and the waist bunches up. I look like Ive lost 100 lbs since getting them. I no longer wear them lol.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

In a couple of years, when my case is settled, remind me to rant on how nonsensical personal injury law because Insurance companies seem to have made all the decisions on it will work. :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :!:
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:49 pm As a late Teen I wore 32x32. Thought it was cool how the numbers matched. But as Ive aged Ive gotten rounder and shorter. I wear 36x30 now. My weight changes so much. Was only a year or so ago I was in 34x30. Now I could wear 38x30 comfortably. Worst part is 36 is a little small in some styles and 38 is too big. I need a 37 which they dont make.

Im losing my extra weight a little at a time sitting here. :) You should see my carpenters jeans I got about 20 years ago. They are huge on...I could get two of my legs in each side and the waist it huge too. I tighten a belt and the waist bunches up. I look like Ive lost 100 lbs since getting them. I no longer wear them lol.
Unfortunately you will never grow taller.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Holman

Post by Holman »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:54 pm
My dad got back almost an inch with his knee replacements.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Theres a surgery in asia...makes them looks weird though....they cut their shin bones in half and implant a scaffolding outside and screwed into the bones and they keep the bone separated by a hair at a time and the doc will screw your bones apart a little each week until you are like 2" - 4' or so taller ..painful and the women have these weird long shins...but they get long legs like that....you'd think they'd do the same to their thigh bones...or maybe do the thighs only.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Holman wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:33 pm
dbt1949 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:54 pm
My dad got back almost an inch with his knee replacements.
You can also get some kind of bone graft that will do it too but I was talking naturally.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Holman

Post by Holman »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:39 pm Theres a surgery in asia...makes them looks weird though....they cut their shin bones in half and implant a scaffolding outside and screwed into the bones and they keep the bone separated by a hair at a time and the doc will screw your bones apart a little each week until you are like 2" - 4' or so taller ..painful and the women have these weird long shins...but they get long legs like that....you'd think they'd do the same to their thigh bones...or maybe do the thighs only.
I don't think it's Asia-specific.

A few months ago there were news stories about rich Americans getting leg-bone height extensions during COVID. (COVID being relevant because the cycle of surgery and recovery keeps you out of the office for months and months.)
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I cannot even remotely imagine being so concerned about my height that I was willing to actually get my leg bones f**king extended. Maybe that's just me.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Unagi wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:33 pm I cannot even remotely imagine being so concerned about my height that I was willing to actually get my leg bones f**king extended. Maybe that's just me.
The rich are not like you and me.

Their insecurities are infinite.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Holman wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:43 pm
Unagi wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:33 pm I cannot even remotely imagine being so concerned about my height that I was willing to actually get my leg bones f**king extended. Maybe that's just me.
The rich are not like you and me.

Their insecurities are infinite.
But, I mean - even if I won every lottery for the next 100 years - this would be so unappealing.

Maybe being born rich gives someone another set of 'problems vs solutions' from a young age - combined with their only anchors/limits/holdbacks being genetic in nature (bad looks, short, ugly, etc) - leads to this inclination.
Holman

Post by Holman »

When people have everything, they still look around for what they don't have.
stessier

Post by stessier »

There was a potential that my daughter would need the surgery. She has one leg shorter than the other. Fortunately she made it through her growth spurt with the difference remaining constant, but if it had grown, that was one of the options to correct it. It's kind of cool that they use magnets to turn the screws that separate the bones... But also horrific.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Holman wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:52 pm When people have everything, they still look around for what they don't have.
I think that about nails it, and very cleanly, and also about what I was saying.

Well said.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

stessier wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:56 pm with the difference remaining constant
I don't follow... wouldn't that mean that she continued to have one leg grow more than the other?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I went to school with a mi...err is it little person now?..That sounds so silly. Anyways later in life in the 90s he got leg bone adjustments..the cutting and stretching and healing. He was actually taller. The proportions were off but they were off to start with and he didn't care. He enjoyed being those inches taller. He passed away sometime after 2012 as I recall he was working at McDonalds in around 2010. Not sure what happened.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

To be fair, it isn't always vanity. Our society really does discriminate against short people. Short people are less likely to get hired, less likely to get promoted, make less money, and are less likely to find love. People who are physically 'imposing' are more likely get hired for leadership positions, while people who are short tend to be seen as meek. They're more likely to be targeted by people who do have power. Years of this tends to have a big impact on self confidence, too, sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I'm lucky - I'm 6'1 and have a football player build (so despite being horribly fat, I look more like I'm heavily muscled.) It's certainly worked in my favor in the past, and I wouldn't blame someone if they got tired of being treated differently because of their height and decided to do something about it.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:00 pm To be fair, it isn't always vanity. Our society really does discriminate against short people. Short people are less likely to get hired, less likely to get promoted, make less money, and are less likely to find love. People who are physically 'imposing' are more likely get hired for leadership positions, while people who are short tend to be seen as meek. They're more likely to be targeted by people who do have power. Years of this tends to have a big impact on self confidence, too, sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy.
This is exactly what vanity is.

IMO
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Short people got no reason to live.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:11 am
I am 6'2" and also need that same pesky 29" inseam. 28" are floods and 30" drag on the floor and quickly fray. 29" are hard to find, especially when I had a tight 42" waist. I'm working hard to get that waist back down though. When I'm done, I hope to achieve and hold a 32"-34" waist.
Dude. I thought I had a long torso at 6' and 30" inseam. Wow.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Unagi wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:18 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:00 pm To be fair, it isn't always vanity. Our society really does discriminate against short people. Short people are less likely to get hired, less likely to get promoted, make less money, and are less likely to find love. People who are physically 'imposing' are more likely get hired for leadership positions, while people who are short tend to be seen as meek. They're more likely to be targeted by people who do have power. Years of this tends to have a big impact on self confidence, too, sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

IMO
Vanity is about pride, it isn't about countering discrimination. If you're a 5'1" man hoping to go into a managerial career, it doesn't matter how much pride you have - you're fighting against a prejudicial disadvantage, and if you choose to counter it, that isn't vanity.

And note that I said, "it isn't always vanity", as in "sometimes it is."
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Cant you get 30s and hem them? If you can't sew then cant find a seamstress? ...a sporting goods store could probably do it. Least the local ones here used to.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:33 pm
Unagi wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:18 pm

IMO
Vanity is about pride, it isn't about countering discrimination.
And note that I said, "it isn't always vanity", as in "sometimes it is."
Fair point. I guess I just find it rare that a short man gets his legs extended so he isn't as short as the other guy he's being discriminated against in the workplace. Something tells me this is more 'chick' related.... and this person is already unemployed and filthy rich.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kraken wrote:Short people got no reason to live.
Calm down there, Randy.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Some guy around here blocked a school bus carrying kids with his truck. He wanted the kid who flipped him or his wife off...barring that he demanded the kids address. Lol. Yeah he got arrested.

I dont know...something about his pic says he isn't the brightest bulb in the pack.

Enlarge Image
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:10 pm Some guy around here blocked a school bus carrying kids with his truck. He wanted the kid who flipped him or his wife off...barring that he demanded the kids address. Lol. Yeah he got arrested.

I dont know...something about his pic says he isn't the brightest bulb in the pack.

Enlarge Image
Something about his pic says he isn't the most sober bud in the bag, either.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Maybe he was just trying to get his rug back.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Unagi wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:01 pm
I don't follow... wouldn't that mean that she continued to have one leg grow more than the other?
The difference between her legs remained a constant 0.75" throughout her growth spurt...and really the whole time we have been tracking it.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

gbasden wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:18 pm
LordMortis wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:11 am
I am 6'2" and also need that same pesky 29" inseam. 28" are floods and 30" drag on the floor and quickly fray. 29" are hard to find, especially when I had a tight 42" waist. I'm working hard to get that waist back down though. When I'm done, I hope to achieve and hold a 32"-34" waist.
Dude. I thought I had a long torso at 6' and 30" inseam. Wow.
I have very short legs and narrow gait for my height. OtOH, I have very long arms for my height.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

stessier wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:12 am
The difference between her legs remained a constant 0.75" throughout her growth spurt...and really the whole time we have been tracking it.
Ahh ok. Not sure how I missed that.
So the difference never went away then ? Does she just have one shoe with a lift in it?
stessier

Post by stessier »

Unagi wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:52 am
stessier wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:12 am
Ahh ok. Not sure how I missed that.
So the difference never went away then ? Does she just have one shoe with a lift in it?
The Dr. noted that a study was done on military recruits and found that up to 1.0" difference in legs is normal. Anything less than that doesn't really need to be treated and isn't likely to cause any issues. The only time she complained of anything was when she was on her feet for hours at a time, so we did get her a lift - but it wasn't required or a sure thing that it was necessary.

Interestingly, the difference was first caught because her pediatrician noted she had a curvature in her spine and sent her to a back specialist checking for scoliosis. When they took the x-rays, they found the leg length difference and when they took x-rays with a lift in place to even her out, the spine curvature was gone. Was kind of neat detective work.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Ex-San Francisco fire commissioner who said homeless man beat him is accused of initiating altercation with bear spray
Attorneys representing the homeless man, Garret Doty, said video evidence shows that former San Francisco Fire Commissioner Don Carmignani was the aggressor and that he doused Doty with bear spray. They further alleged that Carmignani may be involved in other incidents in which homeless people were sprayed in the Cow Hollow and Marina District neighborhoods.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Waxing Gibbous
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Holman

Post by Holman »

stessier wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:56 pm There was a potential that my daughter would need the surgery. She has one leg shorter than the other. Fortunately she made it through her growth spurt with the difference remaining constant, but if it had grown, that was one of the options to correct it. It's kind of cool that they use magnets to turn the screws that separate the bones... But also horrific.
My sister was born in 1965 with one of her feet turned about 60 degrees outward. She went through a trio of surgeries where they broke and re-set the ankle, and she still walks with a limp.

Whenever I see my footprints in the snow, I notice that my same foot always points about 20 degrees out. It's enough that a physical therapist once called it out as a problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:23 pmWaxing Gibbous
Did you just moon me?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:18 am
Did you just moon me?
It's about time the tables were turned.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Blackhawk wrote:
Did you just moon me?
M-O-O-N- That spells Tom Cullen!

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Did you just moon me?
Better than waxing gibbons. They get pretty upset when you do that.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Brian wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:31 pm
Did you just moon me?
Better than waxing gibbons. They get pretty upset when you do that.
Billy would like a word with you.

Enlarge Image