Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: Random randomness

Post by Blackhawk »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:50 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:13 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:59 pm i can't believe i've been getting Bronson Pinchot and Pierce Brosnan mixed up all these years. i thought it was so weird that Balki was also James Bond
Well of course not. Don't be ridiculous!
WTF, I heard the accent as I read that without even thinking about it.

(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:20 pm
coopasonic wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:15 pm
coopasonic wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:48 pm Yesterday, I may or may not have ordered 8 boxes of scorching hot cheddar cheez-it grooves (and a couple family packs of ritz for the wife) to get free shipping.
And my 8 boxes of grooves arrived today... in 7 separate packages. I can't imagine Walmart made money sending me 7 freaking boxes via fedex (plus 1 usps) on a $36 order with free shipping.
How big were the boxes? Standard Cheez It (not Family Size) can be regularly had for $1.99 around here or $16 for 8 boxes. I don't ever get the huge boxes so I don't know how much they go on sale for. Also IIRC FedEx charge by weight and probably give a huge discount to WalMart. I don't know how USPS work.
Standard 9oz boxes. They were $3.14 each. I don't typically wait for sales. I'll take advantage if I see one, but I need my snacks now!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Ah, I don't get snacks unless they are cheap and if they hold I tend to overbuy and have them still sitting in the cupboard by the next time they go on sale. Kroger and Meijer will put them on sale about once a month each, so if I wanted them I'd never be more than two to three weeks out from a sale. I try to stay away but damned the new Cheez It chip (Snap'd?) things are crazy addictive.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I bought a *fantastic* pound of Manchego (my favorite cheese) at a great cheese shop downtown.

I wound up giving almost a quarter of it to my dog because he's a goddam hustler and I'm a goddam sucker.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I used to complain of my wife always giving snacks to the dogs. Now I give them more than she ever did.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Came out of jury duty. ALMOST got picked as an alternate. :D

The process took just about FOREVER. San Francisco has a "call-in" system where you check your group number at 4PM for the next day (and Friday for next Monday). And my original serving week was actually end of June. But somehow, my group (and a WHOLE BUNCH of other groups) got called to a) fill out a LONG questionaire, and b) report 9AM to Civil Court today, a week later.

This judge is pretty fast, but it still took a whole f***ing day. We finally got to go inside at like 0930, sat through a lot of legalese, everybody's name got checked in and verified. There were a couple trying their darnest to get excused. One's like "I'm on pain meds from an auto accident last year and I have no idea what's going on." Another is like "I speak okay English but I don't understand most of the terms you are using. Can I get written instructions I can read for myself?" A couple were obviously claiming language difficulties.

They seated 24 to start, and the plaintiff's attorney asked what seems to be almost random questions about the background of each candidate juror, with almost no relevance.

After lunch, the defense gets to aks questions for the challenges. Then it's challenge time. A few out of the 24 got excused, but they didn't have to add more people to get the 12 they needed.

Judge declared 90 minute break as it's almost noon.

After lunch they called 24 to choose 5 alternates. I got called as 15 out of 24. More blah blah blah, and the people before me (14) shrank to 10, 9, 8... 7... Then both plaintiff and defenses passed, no more challenges. I was 2 away from joining the alternates.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:48 pm Yesterday, I may or may not have ordered 8 boxes of scorching hot cheddar cheez-it grooves (and a couple family packs of ritz for the wife) to get free shipping.
And my 8 boxes of grooves arrived today... in 7 separate packages. I can't imagine Walmart made money sending me 7 freaking boxes via fedex (plus 1 usps) on a $36 order with free shipping.
I've had that happen with an Amazon shipment (an order that included 2 toothbrushes, where each toothbrush was shipped as an individual package). I'm fairly certain that it's the result of an angry employee who is out to deliberately sabotage their employer's bottom line.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:10 am There were a couple trying their darnest to get excused. One's like "I'm on pain meds from an auto accident last year and I have no idea what's going on." Another is like "I speak okay English but I don't understand most of the terms you are using. Can I get written instructions I can read for myself?" A couple were obviously claiming language difficulties.
If you want to be excused from most criminal trials, just state honestly that you don't believe police testimony.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Max Peck wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:39 am
I've had that happen with an Amazon shipment (an order that included 2 toothbrushes, where each toothbrush was shipped as an individual package). I'm fairly certain that it's the result of an angry employee who is out to deliberately sabotage their employer's bottom line.
My last Amazon order came late. It was shipped promptly from Chicago to Plymouth, Mi (about five miles from my house) and it sat for a few days (At the time I assumed it was so they could deliver on the last day of their delivery window). Then it went Pennsylvania to sit for a few days (now being late) and then shipped to me by UPS. I rarely order by Amazon any more. They add so little value to the process. I made my last order due to having $120 in gift cards to be spent and then was hit a reminder that even though they weren't the least expensive, they still save me time because their delivery promise date is really just an estimate.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Kraken wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:44 am
Kasey Chang wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:10 am There were a couple trying their darnest to get excused. One's like "I'm on pain meds from an auto accident last year and I have no idea what's going on." Another is like "I speak okay English but I don't understand most of the terms you are using. Can I get written instructions I can read for myself?" A couple were obviously claiming language difficulties.
If you want to be excused from most criminal trials, just state honestly that you don't believe police testimony.
Who does?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:49 pm
Kraken wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:44 am
Who does?
That's why I said "state honestly." I think most of us understand that cops testify to support the prosecution and would like to see their arrestees locked up. If one does believe that cops are truthful, then don't make that claim.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Kraken wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:44 am If you want to be excused from most criminal trials, just state honestly that you don't believe police testimony.
Yeah, but I'm on the civil case side. :D Apparently, one side, with husband lawyer, had a dispute with neighbor, and ended up suing the neighbor, but lost (and paid nothing). Now the neighbor is countersuing in civil court for emotional distress.

I did get a laugh or two when Defense posted this question (not exact words) to all candidates "would you be prejudiced against my client just because her husband, also a defendent, is a lawyer, and filed the original case against the plaintiff?" And the question before that was "do you think there are too many lawsuits, and California law made it too easy to sue someone?" I kinda joked, "Can I agree halfway with you on that?" He's like "what do you mean?" I replied, "Well, most people have to HIRE a lawyer. If you have a lawyer in the family, and thus easier access to one, you're at an advantage." So I was pretty sure I would have been challenged and excused had I been almost chosen. :D
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Once more Amazon delivered my package to the wrong place. :?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:30 pm Once more Amazon delivered my package to the wrong place. :?
It might be easier for you to just move to where they are delivering them.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I hate headlines like this:

Only 0.000001% Can Do This...

I did the math, and with a population of 7 billion, that means 70 people can do it. How could they possibly know that?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I dunno, but you won't believe what this 80s child star looks like today!

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:06 pm I hate headlines like this:

Only 0.000001% Can Do This...

I did the math, and with a population of 7 billion, that means 70 people can do it. How could they possibly know that?
They tested ten people, and 0.00001 of them did it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I use Bitwarden's passphrase generator for passwords. I just went in and generated one for something, and this is what it gave me:

Throbbing_Mooned_Undaunted

:shock: :lol:

(Note: I also have some other elements in my passphrases that I didn't add (numbers, symbols, etc), so this isn't really giving up much about how I have my passwords configured.)
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Sudy wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:47 pm I dunno, but you won't believe what this 80s child star looks like today!
:clap:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:47 am Totally unrelated but we got some new neighbors over the weekend. They are 25 years old. My oldest is 19. We've been in the house for 19 years as well. It's one thing to think you are over twice the age of college kids but being over twice the age of your new neighbors is a different kind of feeling old.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:47 am Totally unrelated but we got some new neighbors over the weekend. They are 25 years old. My oldest is 19. We've been in the house for 19 years as well. It's one thing to think you are over twice the age of college kids but being over twice the age of your new neighbors is a different kind of feeling old.
Our new neighbors' *parents* are younger than we are.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Got a hold of Amazon finally and got a refund. That'll be the last time I order from Amazon. If they can't deliver to my house there's no sense ordering from them.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Kraken wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:26 pm
Our new neighbors' *parents* are younger than we are.
We are still younger than their parents. Though probably not by much.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:08 am Got a hold of Amazon finally and got a refund. That'll be the last time I order from Amazon. If they can't deliver to my house there's no sense ordering from them.
Our Amazon delivery people are fun. They find new and inventive ways to deliver packages to us that are technically within the definition of "delivered to customer" while still making us go search for said packages. Every day is like an Easter Egg hunt with them.

They've even taken to delivering them "temporally" by notifying us a package has been delivered....then not delivering it until 1 to 3 days later. Now that's some next level deliverin'.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

What is the difference between a golfer and a skydiver? ... a golfer goes "whack... damn" ... a skydiver goes "damn ... whack"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

One can say it over and over and one can't.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Brian

Post by Brian »

You don't need a parachute to go skydiving.
You do need a parachute to go skydiving more than once.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Skydiving is a 100% completely safe sport. Its the ground that kills you.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thats what ya get when try jumping out of a perfectly good airplane.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

One of my neighbors has a parachute with an engine, paragliding? He uses it all the time.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh good Lord water jugs that have sat in an air conditioned room are ice cold when you pour them over your head!!

I washed my hair in the kitchen sink. It was plastered to my head with oil and very itchy. Thats gross. Then I washed myself off . I boiled a pot of water and added it to a jug of water in the sink for this. Thben I took one to the tub with and poured it on my head and down to rinse. Geebus criminy that was COLD. Thought I was going to pass out or have a heart attack righ there. Wasn't expecting that. Wont do that again. \Im clean enough for 4 or 5 days if I push it.

No onswers there phone at these so called help places. Tomorrow while Im still sorta clean'ish Ill go to town waster more gas and try to speak to someone in person. Failing it all as Im sure will happen I will go by my bank and see about a smaller personal loan around $1000 . I can pay that back in installments given time and a low interest. Maybe they will help me as my account has always been in good standing..my wife saw to it it was hers . And nothing else goes wrong. That will give me time to sell some stuff too I hope. So instead of no water for weeks or more while I sell stuff Ill have water then can make payments or pay it back sooner .

Sry for typos. Im thinkinmg a bit off and typing things Im not even thinking when I look up. I did n't sleep last night at all..wide awake. Fell off about 9am and woke up at 2pm. Im not buzzed and no drinks at all. Kinda worrisome. ill ad it to my list.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:29 pm Oh good Lord water jugs that have sat in an air conditioned room are ice cold when you pour them over your head!!

I washed my hair in the kitchen sink. It was plastered to my head with oil and very itchy. Thats gross. Then I washed myself off . I boiled a pot of water and added it to a jug of water in the sink for this. Thben I took one to the tub with and poured it on my head and down to rinse. Geebus criminy that was COLD. Thought I was going to pass out or have a heart attack righ there. Wasn't expecting that. Wont do that again. \Im clean enough for 4 or 5 days if I push it.

No onswers there phone at these so called help places. Tomorrow while Im still sorta clean'ish Ill go to town waster more gas and try to speak to someone in person. Failing it all as Im sure will happen I will go by my bank and see about a smaller personal loan around $1000 . I can pay that back in installments given time and a low interest. Maybe they will help me as my account has always been in good standing..my wife saw to it it was hers . And nothing else goes wrong. That will give me time to sell some stuff too I hope. So instead of no water for weeks or more while I sell stuff Ill have water then can make payments or pay it back sooner .

Sry for typos. Im thinkinmg a bit off and typing things Im not even thinking when I look up. I did n't sleep last night at all..wide awake. Fell off about 9am and woke up at 2pm. Im not buzzed and no drinks at all. Kinda worrisome. ill ad it to my list.
Have you tried contacting your local branch of Habitat for Humanity? Because they provide a specific program for critical home repair services for situations like yours.

You should probably also contact your local HUD (Housing & Urban Development) office. They provide various resources to assist with home repairs for those on disability or on limited incomes, including grants and low-interest loans for home repairs.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I was thinking perhaps I'd be more likely to drink my metamucil if it were METALmucil. What can I do to make it more metal? I was thinking of adding some buckyballs or pig's blood.

And what are we going to do if the alt-right co-opts pizza? I'm not switching to lahmacun.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:41 pm Have you tried contacting your local branch of Habitat for Humanity? Because they provide a specific program for critical home repair services for situations like yours.

You should probably also contact your local HUD (Housing & Urban Development) office. They provide various resources to assist with home repairs for those on disability or on limited incomes, including grants and low-interest loans for home repairs.
I gave him a link to a federal loan program, but yours might be better. The problem with all of this is that none of it is fast. I don't know of a quick way to resolve this and I can't think of a single situation I've been involved in where the property owner doesn't have water for an extended period of time where it ends well.

If I knew of any quick way to help, I'd say it. That is the issue with home ownership. If you don't have money or reserve (or the ability to get money), you're always one issue away from serious problems.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Is GoFundMe worth a shot?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Another headline that bugs me is when someone awards 1000 IQ for a smart sports or video game play. The highest IQ in history was previously estimated at 250 for a guy that went to Harvard at age 10. But he pales in comparison to someone who does a trick football play. Just once I'd like to see a baseball player who pulls off an unassisted triple play use the post game interview to explain the flaws in Einstein's Theory of General Relativity.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I learned something interesting today. When I order home delivery from my local grocery store it doesn't come from my local store. It come from the closest store from the delivery person.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kraken wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:54 pm Is GoFundMe worth a shot?

I have a GFM..Its seen zero interest and I was about to delete it. I know no one and I dont have a net footprint or base. So no one sees it anyways.

Making update in the no water thread btw.

I was so looking forward to Prime Day :(