Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kraken

Re: Random randomness

Post by Kraken »

Sudy wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:39 pm Yeah but the one that looks like a sexy female Tom Selleck makes up for it. The moustache really carries it.
OK, one vote for Zaphod Beeblebrox (I think; my "sexy female" bullpen is empty, but Zaphod could fill in). I can be amazingly amazing when the improbability gets high enough.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Kraken wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:46 am
Sudy wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:39 pm Yeah but the one that looks like a sexy female Tom Selleck makes up for it. The moustache really carries it.
OK, one vote for Zaphod Beeblebrox (I think; my "sexy female" bullpen is empty, but Zaphod could fill in). I can be amazingly amazing when the improbability gets high enough.
C'mon mate, pull yer socks up! You' re posting on a forum named Octopus Overlords with a username of Kraken -- Smoove nightmare-fuel is clearly what you should be aiming for.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Well, I'm proud of myself for putting in the window air conditioner before July for once. Getting up to 29/85 this weekend... we want none of that here.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Anyone catch a 90s show called Sharpe's Eagle ? Stars Sean Bean. Ive been seeing snippets on YouTube today. Looks very interesting.

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

To Boom Airlines Id like to say yes I see what you were going for but I really dont think you should name your airlines Boom.
Last edited by Daehawk on Wed May 19, 2021 1:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Daehawk wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:29 pm Anyone catch a 90s show called Sharpe's Eagle ? Stars Sean Bean. Ive been seeing snippets on YouTube today. Looks very interesting.
There are 15 movies in that series, AFAIK, the only 15 movies that Sean Bean does not die. You should watch them all. I actually have them all on DVD, when I was purging my DVD collection, for some reason these did not come up with offers from the place that was buying them so I kept them.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I'd never heard of this before today. It seems a bit ummm cheap or cheesy...as a lot of great 90s tv was. But Im really enjoying all the videos Im watching of it. I just keep watching. It scares me he hasn't died yet. I keep expecting it.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Jeff V wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 5:35 pm
Daehawk wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:29 pm Anyone catch a 90s show called Sharpe's Eagle ? Stars Sean Bean. Ive been seeing snippets on YouTube today. Looks very interesting.
There are 15 movies in that series, AFAIK, the only 15 movies that Sean Bean does not die. You should watch them all. I actually have them all on DVD, when I was purging my DVD collection, for some reason these did not come up with offers from the place that was buying them so I kept them.
There are 16 in total. It's been years since I watched the series, but I enjoyed all of them.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I really wish YouTube would stop serving me ads for these regressively conservative talk shows. I keep getting them for Ben Shapiro and some other guy I forget the name of. I also used to get Epoch Times ads. I don't understand what in my activity could make these advertisers want to target me. A web search suspects it might be as little as gender. But 80% of the content I watch is gaming, technology, and astronomy related, with a sprinkling of cooking and satire. The one political channel I do subscribe to is quite progressive, but I rarely watch it. I could try turning off personalized ads I guess. But you'd think after you've flagged one advertiser as "irrelevant" or "inappropriate" 20 times, it would make a difference.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Theres ads on YT? :)
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

The majority of my usage is in the Android app, so yeah. I don't mind a reasonable number ads of if the content doesn't vex me. People deserve to get paid. Most of the ads I'm mentioning are in-feed ads though, not ones that roll during video playback.

Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Sudy wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 1:41 am The majority of my usage is in the Android app, so yeah. I don't mind a reasonable number ads of if the content doesn't vex me. People deserve to get paid. Most of the ads I'm mentioning are in-feed ads though, not ones that roll during video playback.
FWIW, I'd suggest using NewPipe instead. It's a lightweight, privacy-friendly free and open-source Android app that was specifically created for the purpose of getting the original YouTube experience on Android devices without all the annoying ads and questionable permissions.

EDIT: BTW, there's also a forked NewPipe version available which includes SponsorBlock, a popular FOSS extension that allows the NewPipe app to automatically skip (i.e. block) sponsorship segments in YouTube videos.
Last edited by Anonymous Bosch on Wed May 19, 2021 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I was just dealing with support for an issue with my watch band. I ended up feeling like I was in Airplane:

(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Where is it located?

On my wrist!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Sudy wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:31 am I really wish YouTube would stop serving me ads for these regressively conservative talk shows. I keep getting them for Ben Shapiro and some other guy I forget the name of. I also used to get Epoch Times ads.
Earlier this year we got an issue of Epoch Times in the mail, which was weird as we had never signed up for it. What a bunch of garbage.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Rumpy wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 1:04 pm
Sudy wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:31 am I really wish YouTube would stop serving me ads for these regressively conservative talk shows. I keep getting them for Ben Shapiro and some other guy I forget the name of. I also used to get Epoch Times ads.
Earlier this year we got an issue of Epoch Times in the mail, which was weird as we had never signed up for it. What a bunch of garbage.
I got one last year and now they are coming every few months. There was a while when they were advertising on youtube regularly, much more than any other ad. I can only assume it was be a general geography that makes it seem worth it to advertise to me. I live in an area that would take me too far into R&P to describe here. ;)

I sorta assumed that you would get Canadian centric ads but google suggests to me Epoch Times are making a push in Canada and it's causing some stir.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

LordMortis wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 1:31 pm
Rumpy wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 1:04 pm
I got one last year and now they are coming every few months. There was a while when they were advertising on youtube regularly, much more than any other ad. I can only assume it was be a general geography that makes it seem worth it to advertise to me. I live in an area that would take me too far into R&P to describe here. ;)

I sorta assumed that you would get Canadian centric ads but google suggests to me Epoch Times are making a push in Canada and it's causing some stir.

Yeah, some stir that is. And it's so weird because it doesn't feel aligned with Canada aside from a small subset of the population. It has the feel of alarmist propaganda designed to ignite fear.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I joined nextdoor to get rid of some furniture and I've learned so many things about my neighbors I didn't really want to know. Someone new to the neighborhood and Texas asked for recommendations on what paper locals were reading and a LOT of people suggested Epoch Times. I had to google it as I had no idea. Yeah, I mean I know I live in Texas but I thought my area was better than that.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Rumpy wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 2:09 pm
LordMortis wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 1:31 pm I got one last year and now they are coming every few months. There was a while when they were advertising on youtube regularly, much more than any other ad. I can only assume it was be a general geography that makes it seem worth it to advertise to me. I live in an area that would take me too far into R&P to describe here. ;)

Yeah, some stir that is. And it's so weird because it doesn't feel aligned with Canada aside from a small subset of the population. It has the feel of alarmist propaganda designed to ignite fear.
Toronto and Vancouver have huge Chinese immigrant populations, so I suspect they're trying to find readership among the anti-CCP portion that group, as well as the generally disconnected groundswell of near-alt-right conservatism across the country.

We got one in the mail too... I still have it. I meant to read it for a laugh, but Mrs. Nym wasn't interested in my commentary and reading it alone without anyone to spew my outrage onto seemed distasteful. Mind you, a broken clock is right twice a day and a handful of their talking points don't seem wrong on the surface, but generally their slant is dishonest and abhorrent. You don't counterbalance the faults of the mainstream media by crashing the other end of the spectrum.

I did latch on to their spokesman's catchphrase in some of the ads though--"...and take a look at this!" I say it from time to time. Mrs. Nym doesn't appreciate that either.

In retrospect, I guess this is all R&P isn't it... I'm sorry. The original sentiment that popped into my head wasn't the content. If I want to delve into an actual examination of these publications (I don't), I'll switch forums. I'm simply confounded I've been to assigned to a demographic targeted by such biased and repugnant channels.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'll read your take. People read my take on Shen Yun.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Sudy wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:31 am I really wish YouTube would stop serving me ads for these regressively conservative talk shows. I keep getting them for Ben Shapiro and some other guy I forget the name of. I also used to get Epoch Times ads. I don't understand what in my activity could make these advertisers want to target me. A web search suspects it might be as little as gender. But 80% of the content I watch is gaming, technology, and astronomy related, with a sprinkling of cooking and satire. The one political channel I do subscribe to is quite progressive, but I rarely watch it. I could try turning off personalized ads I guess. But you'd think after you've flagged one advertiser as "irrelevant" or "inappropriate" 20 times, it would make a difference.
As far as I can tell, online ads are targeted with a very broad brush. If you watch enough videos/etc classified as political content (regardless of ideological slant), you start seeing more political ads (most of which, for various reasons, lean more right than left).

In short, this is why even a liberal/progressive website like Talking Points Memo is framed by ads for Alex Jones and various MAGA outlets.

One creepy development I've noticed is that P***** U has started presenting itself in its ads as something somehow funny and goofy, a la the Onion. Only when you click through do you get the John Birch culture-war stuff.
Last edited by Holman on Wed May 19, 2021 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

In my view, probably the less said about it, the better. It''d be a icky rabbit hole to dive into ;)
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

of course Century Link messed up my phone number port
Holman

Post by Holman »

Rumpy wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:48 pm In my view, probably the less said about it, the better. It''d be a icky rabbit hole to dive into ;)
Edited.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Now it just looks like you're censoring slang for female genitalia.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

He's not?
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I'm not even sure what got edited ...
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Well you know how guys have a penis....

Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:16 am I was just dealing with support for an issue with my watch band. I ended up feeling like I was in Airplane:

...but that's not important right now.
Conform or be cast out!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Sudy wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:25 pm Well you know how guys have a penis....
Ok, I think I see where the confusion lies, as I was originally replying in response to your post, in that I wouldn't want to do a deep dive into Epoch Times, but it came after Holman's post looking like I was I was referring to his when he quoted me saying it was edited. I thought it referred to my post being edited/fixed, but couldn't find anything different about what I'd said. :o
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I'm honestly confused about everything and don't know what's a joke and what's not at this point. :P

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Holman wrote: One creepy development I've noticed is that P***** U has started presenting itself in its ads as something somehow funny and goofy, a la the Onion. Only when you click through do you get the John Birch culture-war stuff.
The edit in question.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

It rhymes with Kraeger Mooniversity.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I want to go to Krieger Moonversity!
Holman

Post by Holman »

Sudy wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 1:07 am It rhymes with Kraeger Mooniversity.
This. It's a propaganda house (not a real university, obviously) that produces right-wing videos aimed at young people.

The edit was to avoid driving any traffic their way.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Thanks for clarifying, Holman :D Good idea in any case.

And I just noticed that over the last several posts in this thread, I've broken the 10k post barrier.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My water heater is magic. Im flushing it out and the entire first half was not even warm. Was more room temp if anything. After about 10 min its started running hot. So the bottom half was basically not heated....I dont get it. I always have enough hot water. I also checked before yanking the fuses and both top and bottom units had power. As you know a heating unit is a loop so if it burned out then it would not show power.

So Im stumped on that one.