Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: Random randomness

Post by Blackhawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:09 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:33 pm And if you do, carefully place the credit card in an envelope, carefully seal said envelope, and then carefully deposit it down the well.
That would just lead to more pump issues.
Yes, but when you finally fished it out, you'd be in exactly the kind of situation that would justify using an emergency credit card.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:06 pm Im just not sure who or where Id secure of a good $10,000 loan. If I could pay all three bills off at once that would save me uncounted money due to high interest rates.
Follow gilraen's advice to seek a loan from your local credit union, bank, or reputable online lenders like LightStream, SoFi, and Upstart. The loans they offer will provide significantly lower interest rates as compared to your credit card, as well as greater flexibility in terms of repayment.

Try to focus upon lenders that provide the following features:
  • Competitive APR: The Annual Percentage Rate (APR) is the true cost of the loan, including the interest rate and any fees. So you definitely ought to compare the APR across different lenders to find the most affordable option.
  • Low interest rates: Aim for the most favourable interest rate possible. The lower the interest rate, the less you'll pay in total over the life of the loan.
  • Flexible repayment terms: Look for lenders that allow you to choose a suitably flexible repayment period. Ideally, this will give you the option to pay off the loan faster by making larger monthly payments.
  • No origination and prepayment penalties: Ensure the lender does not require an origination or administrative fee, and does not charge any prepayment fees for paying off your loan early. This will allow you to make additional payments whenever you can, helping you pay off your loan faster and save on interest.
Loans available from LightStream, SoFi, and Upstart typically include all of these sorts of features. So, it's worth checking with your local credit union or bank to see how competitive their loan options are in comparison.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Home equity line of credit? What's the county value your house at vs. that $7k of outstanding mortgage?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ill have to look this up. Some of these terms Im not at all familiar with.

On another note I was digging my old stereo I got as a kid out of the bedroom closet and had to pull some other stuff out to get to it. one thing was a Reebok box and I instantly was hoping it was what I thought...yep...its the box my Exofit hi sneakers came in in the 90s. They were a black hi top crossfit shoe. I had a few pairs in the 90s as I wore them to death in my 20s. Every time I went anywehre I wore a pair. The mall walking wore them out :) . unfortunately in the box was a pair of like new hiking boots. Black and grey made of leather and mesh. I sorta remember them and they still fit anyways. But the box still has the original price tag on them...Proffitts $60. I remember my wife buying them for me there in the 90s at Eastgate Mall. I think they were my last pair of them.

After those I changed to low top Reebok then some generic brand of the same. I wore black shoes into the 2000s lol. Im so happy to have this box. A good memory of great times. Shame i didn't stick the used pair back in. I usually did that.

Anyways $60. I looked them up online ...$80 and $90 now even from Reebok. I need to see if I can look up those boots.

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

My recent love of butter pecan ice cream is going to be sung about for generations to come.
He won. Period.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:13 pm
Daehawk wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:06 pm Im just not sure who or where Id secure of a good $10,000 loan. If I could pay all three bills off at once that would save me uncounted money due to high interest rates.
Follow gilraen's advice to seek a loan from your local credit union, bank, or reputable online lenders like LightStream, SoFi, and Upstart. The loans they offer will provide significantly lower interest rates as compared to your credit card, as well as greater flexibility in terms of repayment.

Try to focus upon lenders that provide the following features:
  • Competitive APR: The Annual Percentage Rate (APR) is the true cost of the loan, including the interest rate and any fees. So you definitely ought to compare the APR across different lenders to find the most affordable option.
  • Low interest rates: Aim for the most favourable interest rate possible. The lower the interest rate, the less you'll pay in total over the life of the loan.
  • Flexible repayment terms: Look for lenders that allow you to choose a suitably flexible repayment period. Ideally, this will give you the option to pay off the loan faster by making larger monthly payments.
  • No origination and prepayment penalties: Ensure the lender does not require an origination or administrative fee, and does not charge any prepayment fees for paying off your loan early. This will allow you to make additional payments whenever you can, helping you pay off your loan faster and save on interest.
Loans available from LightStream, SoFi, and Upstart typically include all of these sorts of features. So, it's worth checking with your local credit union or bank to see how competitive their loan options are in comparison.
It would be particularly good if his house wasn't at constant risk anymore. I'd think some of the reputable online firms might be his best bet, or maybe a small locally owned bank or credit union.
Israel: Essentially "The Alamo" 24/7, 365 since 1947
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Credit unions rule. The benchmark mortgage rate at Wife's employer CU is a full 0.5% below commercial banks right now. 'Course, you gotta be an employee to get in.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:55 pm Anyways $60. I looked them up online ...$80 and $90 now even from Reebok. I need to see if I can look up those boots.
They've gone down in price significantly. $60 in 1998 is worth around $115 today. In value, they're around 35 1998 dollars now.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

My d-i-l stole my phone this morning. ?????????
Only thing I can think of is I was going pay my VA bill and she wanted to change what was owed.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Does that mean she was trying to scam you or help you? :?
He won. Period.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Well, I found the phone but if she had taken it, it would have been to help.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Good, I'm happy to hear that she's helpful!
He won. Period.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Now phone wont do anything but text.
I want to living back in the 1800s!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

"Dearest Marjory,

I hope this missive finds you well.

The doctor does not have a pleasant mien when he visits. The consumption progresses daily. I hope that I am still on the earthly plane when you arrive a Fortnite hence.

All my love to you and the boy.

- Winston"

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I need to figure out what to do with a couch.

I have a couch here that's been here for all 21 of the years I've been in this house. It was used (but nice) when it was given to us, but after raising two kids on it, having friends 'sit' on it from above and break parts of it, and just two decades of wear and tear... well, it has little padding left, the cushions are threadbare, it sits too low thanks to the friend-broken frame, and, well - you get the idea.

With Michelle here, it was needed, but these days I'm the only one who uses it. It's uncomfortable enough that I have to lie on it rather than sitting (springs in the back are sprung), and it's far bigger than one person can really use. I've decided it's finally time to get rid of it and move my recliner over where the couch was. It'll also clear up a ton of space in the house.

The problem: It's a foldaway sleeper. And I don't have a truck. Or a friend with a truck. Or a place to put it. There is no collection service for such things, it's too worn to be worthy of donation, and I can't afford to hire people or vehicles.

My thought: move it into the kitchen. Throw the cushions in the trash. The next week (once the trash has been emptied) I cut the remaining fabric off and toss that in the trash. Then I saw up the wood and toss that the next week. That leaves me with the mattress and the steel sleeper frame. Maybe I can cut the mattress into sections and get rid of that. Then I'm faced with getting a hacksaw and cutting the frame into sections that will fit in the trash.

The plan will get the couch gone, but it'll take about two months of that thing, in various states of disassembly, sitting in the middle of the tiny kitchen.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Drag it to the curb. Put a sign on it "$20 OBO". Watch someone "steal" it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

gilraen wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:33 pm Drag it to the curb. Put a sign on it "$20 OBO". Watch someone "steal" it.
Nobody would steal this monstrosity, plus my curb isn't in a viable loading zone.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

You might be surprised. Maybe post it on FB marketplace or something as a "free dog couch - curb pickup only". I see people asking for them all the time in my part of 'merica. Basically an old couch people use as a dog bed.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I've always had these very fond memories of watching some anime show as a young kid. However, I've never been able to pinpoint exactly what show it was because they've always just been these very vague images or hazy recollections of very short snippets.

This clip popped up in my Twitter feed today and it absolutely hit me like a ton of bricks that this was the show. I absolutely, 100% remember sitting in front of the TV when I was 5 or 6 years old watching this cartoon. I haven't had a nostalgic smack in the face like that for a very long time.

I need to go find a few episodes of Battle of the Planets now.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

hepcat wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:27 pm My recent love of butter pecan ice cream is going to be sung about for generations to come.
I have a love for IHOP's Butter Pecan syrup. Damn, but that is tasty!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

SP. you might want to look for gatchaman (And the look for it dubbed)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_N ... _Gatchaman
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It took me 40 years to find mine, mostly because it went by a gazillion names. The show I remembered (from ~1981) was Shogun Warriors, a film. Apparently it also went by Force Five, Starvengers, and Getter Robo G, and there was a series by the same name(s). And there was apparently a spinoff movie, but also a non-spinoff movie.

I'm still confused as to which of them I actually watched. Anyway, this:

Last edited by Blackhawk on Fri May 03, 2024 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 3:44 pm I've always had these very fond memories of watching some anime show as a young kid. However, I've never been able to pinpoint exactly what show it was because they've always just been these very vague images or hazy recollections of very short snippets.

This clip popped up in my Twitter feed today and it absolutely hit me like a ton of bricks that this was the show. I absolutely, 100% remember sitting in front of the TV when I was 5 or 6 years old watching this cartoon. I haven't had a nostalgic smack in the face like that for a very long time.

I remembered it as g-force, but I guess that was just the team name before the reboot a decade later!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

LordMortis wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 4:51 pm Never heard of such a thing. Sounds like a good check. Though yeah, it would stress me out as well.
I guess property title theft is the next "big" thing. Not sure the local thieves knew about it until they mentioned it in the newspaper. :lol: Turns out I got I guess what would be a "false positive"? Someone filed a form at the clerk of courts and her first name was close to mine while her last name started with the same first two letters as mine so that triggered the system. They told me I could call if there is a next time instead of going in. I tried to use their website first, but it just showed me a blank page when I entered the document number. Their page doesn't display correctly in my browser either Doesn't give one a warm fuzzy feeling. :think:
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 3:44 pm
Battle of the Planets was an extremely bastardized chop-dub of Science Ninja Team Gatchaman

the closing theme gets in my head all the time
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Daehawk wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:55 pm Ill have to look this up. Some of these terms Im not at all familiar with.

On another note I was digging my old stereo I got as a kid out of the bedroom closet and had to pull some other stuff out to get to it. one thing was a Reebok box and I instantly was hoping it was what I thought...yep...its the box my Exofit hi sneakers came in in the 90s.
Enlarge Image
I USED TO WEAR THESE
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 3:53 pm I remembered it as g-force, but I guess that was just the team name before the reboot a decade later!
They were g-force but the series was Battle of the Planets on my TV in the late 70s/early 80s. That was my second anime a decade before I knew anime was a thing. I watched it mainly because the mission coordinator reminded by tiny brain of R2D2. My first was Simba the Lion. My third didn't come until Akira a few years later at an early SciFi convention (I was maybe 14 then)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LordMortis wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 4:00 pm I watched it mainly because the mission coordinator reminded by tiny brain of R2D2.
7-Zark-7 was bullshit.

But this show and Star Blazers were on just before dinner for me as a kid in the late 1970s and I have vivid memories of watching them both religiously.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 3:52 pm It took me 40 years to find mine, mostly because it went by a gazillion names. The show I remembered (from ~1981) was Shogun Warriors, a film. Apparently it also went by Force Five, Starvengers, and Getter Robo G, and there was a series by the same name(s). And there was apparently a spinoff movie, but also a non-spinoff movie.

I'm still confused as to which of them I actually watched. Anyway, this:

I definitely remember Shogun Warriors, but not from the show. From the awesome oversized action figures that would shoot tiny airplanes and missles out of their fists and backs.

An interesting side note from searching for that Shogun Warriors pic. I have one of these Godzilla toys currently sitting right next to me in my office. Even has the same broken tongue lever. I had no idea what the going rate for him was!
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

It's interesting listening to you all talk about nostalgia. I do it all the time. You all are aging to be just like me!

Enlarge Image
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 4:16 pm I definitely remember Shogun Warriors, but not from the show. From the awesome oversized action figures that would shoot tiny airplanes and missles out of their fists and backs.

Same IP. The toy on the left is, I believe, the same one that's in the video thumbnail.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 3:53 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 3:44 pm I've always had these very fond memories of watching some anime show as a young kid. However, I've never been able to pinpoint exactly what show it was because they've always just been these very vague images or hazy recollections of very short snippets.

I remembered it as g-force, but I guess that was just the team name before the reboot a decade later!
I know it as G-force as well and liked it a lot.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I have one of these Godzilla toys currently sitting right next to me in my office. Even has the same broken tongue lever.
I knew the rate. Id looked it up recently because I remembered my wife had one when I moved here and was curious. It was laying in the front in the grass by the front steps. No idea why and she could only tell me it was hers and she'd had it as a kid. The lever still worked but most of the tongue was broken off. The wheels were caked in dirt and it had a big hole in the side. No telling how long it lay in the sun and elements.

I went to move it one day when I was weed eating because Id always hit it . So I picked it up. Nope..full of wasps...I ran very fast and still think I got stung. I didn't touch it again for a long while. We just threw it away.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Just releasing stress here.

I was up all night until 7am before I could get to sleep. I didn't get up today until after 6pm. So tonight will suck too. But last nite I was STRESSED and my mind racing. All I could think about was working out all my bills this month to have a little left over. I got my food stamps early as in last month so by the time this month's food order came up I only had half left. So gotta use cash to finish off the month..which will be close.

Next month I start paying power again and now my internet bill is $45 instead of #34. i ALSO COULDN'T STOP LOOKING FOR A USED WASHER ONLINE LOCALLy. i CHECKED EVERYWHERE. Nothing used below $200. A local shop that was always good to us wants $250 for their worst scratched and dented sitting in the back room.

A rent to own place wants $16 a WEEK. And the final cost is $2000.

FB Market nothing again. The cheapest was $150 which is great but another $50 to deliver so its out.

I found some new little 1.3 cu in portable washers. Made of plastic with tiny tub and a separate tiny spinner basket for $169. Tempting. But it has to attach to a sing faucet which is only in my kitchen and the drain is gravity so it would pour into the floor.

And this went on ALL damn night. Made me sick.

Just ranting.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I'd make one of these. It would be fun and cheap. I think it's Gilligan level technology, wouldn't take the professor to make one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XenzDFI8Cmk

Enlarge Image
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 3:50 pm
hepcat wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:27 pm My recent love of butter pecan ice cream is going to be sung about for generations to come.
I have a love for IHOP's Butter Pecan syrup. Damn, but that is tasty!
My autopsy report is just going to read “10 percent man, 90 percent Edy’s Slow Churned Butter Pecan”.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I'd make one of these.
Those look cool.

Why is places like Doordash and others mail you a thing in the mail for 50% off your delivery fee then you read the fine print and it says first order only. So basically for a new member. Why send it to the address of a current member in my own name for fuc%S sake.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I just got off the phone with Spectrum internet. My bill went up again this moth. its not $49.99. A few months back it went up to $34.95. Next month the gov bonus runs out so it will jump AGAIN to $59.99. This is bullshit.

And this is with TWO active promotions good until next year saving me like $30 or $40 !! Theres no more help. Im just gonna be out yet MORE money. Bleeding me dry.

I asked about saving money by lowering my speed. Im at 500 their 2nd fastest. Next one and only one down is 100mb and it was actually run me $10 MORE than Im paying now due to my promotions.

When all my promotions are gone Im not sure what Ill do. All I have is internet. He did offer me 1gig service for $10 more. I chucked and declined. Years ago that would be a crazy cheap speed. Oh well.

Shits high yo.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:43 pm Shits high yo.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Does anyone else remember when there was a number you could call on your telephone to get the time of day? I even remember the number was 853-1212.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter