Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kraken

Re: Random randomness

Post by Kraken »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:14 pm Four pounds of raw sugar would last me years. Many, many years - possibly the rest of my life - if I don't decide to make cookies for Christmas.
+1. I'll use a teaspoon once or twice a year to blunt the acidity of tomatoes in homemade sauce. I have a little canister of sugar (maybe 12 oz?) that's years old and still almost full. I don't like sweets so for me it's just a rarely needed cooking ingredient.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I put sugar in my coffee. Since staying home, I through a 4 pound bag in about a year and half, maybe longer at about a tbsp a day, maybe less. I've consciously decreased the calories I put in my coffee. I used to cook with the stuff but I seem to have cut out baking and with it went sugar for an ingredient. Meijer seem to give me a 4 pound bag once a year for free, or were. I now have 2 2/3rd 4 pound bags.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

It goes into recipes and on my cereal and rice. Most of it goes into drinks....I turn bottled water into lemonade and for tea and koolaid I use 2 cups per gallon.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:58 pm …but I NEED to get in shape soon or get bad bad health to come.
Daehawk wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:07 pm Sugar makers. Can we just all go back to the 5 lbs bag and drop the 4 lbs crap. Its not enough. Its too small. And my cabinets say the 10 lbs sugar is too big. It fits but it shouldn't have to.

So lets stop changing the sizes of stuff and go back to changing the prices. I want my full 5 lbs of sugar that lasts just the right amount and costs the right amount and fits in my cabinet just like it always did. Ok?
Daehawk wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:07 am It goes into recipes and on my cereal and rice. Most of it goes into drinks....I turn bottled water into lemonade and for tea and koolaid I use 2 cups per gallon.
Meanwhile, in unrelated news…

Life expectancy in Tennessee is one of the worst in the US, report finds
wate.com wrote:(WKRN/NEXSTAR) – A report released Thursday, by the National Center for Health Statistics, found life expectancy in the U.S. can vary wildly based on which state you were born in. According to the data, Hawaii residents had the highest life expectancy at birth at 80.9 years. On the other end of the spectrum, Mississippi had the lowest at 74.4 years.

So where did Tennessee land on the list?

The Volunteer State landed near the bottom of the list. Tennessee ranks 47th overall, with an average life expectancy of 75.6. For men in the state, the average life expectancy is 72.8 (48th overall) and for women, it’s 78.5 (45th overall), according to the CDC data.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:07 am [Sugar] goes into ... rice.
For the second time in a week, what?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I am almost half a century old and today is the first I'm hearing about this. What the hell have I been doing with my life?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:19 am I am almost half a century old and today is the first I'm hearing about this. What the hell have I been doing with my life?
To be fair, how many of those years have been spent in Appalachia or hanging out in Daehawk's kitchen?

For myself, I immediately translated "sugar in rice" to "rice pudding" and didn't consider anything else.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

There was a time in my youth when my sister and her friends used to cook (and share) steamed rice mixed with a small amount of mayonnaise and ground pepper.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Growing up in Southern California, my mother frequently made white rice with butter and sugar sprinkled on top.
Last edited by Blackhawk on Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I love rice pudding. The idea of spooning sugar and butter into rice is...not rice pudding. :)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:37 am I love rice pudding. The idea of spooning sugar and butter into rice is...not rice pudding. :)
No more than cinnamon toast is bread pudding (in other words, it doesn't try to be.)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I feel like we're in Steamed Hams territory

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I just want to say that, coincidentally, we are making homemade rice pudding this weekend.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Reminds me that as children we added sugar to our cereal... based on the cereal we get now I can't imagine the sugar being needed at all. I wonder if it really changed that much or we were just insane.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:37 am I love rice pudding. The idea of spooning sugar and butter into rice is...not rice pudding. :)
But rice pudding (the way I make it) does include butter and sugar. It was the only context I had for rice + sugar. :lol:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:49 am Reminds me that as children we added sugar to our cereal... based on the cereal we get now I can't imagine the sugar being needed at all. I wonder if it really changed that much or we were just insane.
It was fine if my parents didn't want to buy me sugary cereals - I would just slurp up the sugary slop left on the bottom of the bowl after I finished my Cheerios.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

It did give me the opportunity to swap salt into the sugar bowl and make my brother try to murder me when he put a couple heaping scoops on his wheaties. Thinking back on it, wheaties definitely could use some sugar. :P
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I know people who do white rice and butter. Sugar, not so much.
coopasonic wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:49 am Reminds me that as children we added sugar to our cereal... based on the cereal we get now I can't imagine the sugar being needed at all. I wonder if it really changed that much or we were just insane.
This, but our cereal was Cheerois and Wheaties. If we were lucky, Rice Crispies. If I make plain oatmeal, I still put sugar in it. Though, I can't remember the last time I made plain oatmeal.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

White rice with butter and black pepper was a side dish when I was growing up. Never sugar but my Appalachian dad wasn't the one doing the cooking. On the other hand most of his cooking ideas seem to center on corn meal and pork fat.

I do still like some brown sugar on oatmeal a couple of times a year and while none of my baking uses the old full sugar recopies I do use sugar faster than some of you because I like homemade pies, cookies, and quickbreads (which includes fruitcakes).
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I cannot remember even one time my dad cooked or even made sandwiches.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:22 am I cannot remember even one time my dad cooked or even made sandwiches.
This was a belated realization I had when my parents divorced and I stayed with my dad. He had me cooking much of the time as neither had a clue what we were doing in the kitchen.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:22 am I cannot remember even one time my dad cooked or even made sandwiches.
Enlarge Image
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:34 am For myself, I immediately translated "sugar in rice" to "rice pudding" and didn't consider anything else.
Same, although I despise rice pudding. *shudder*
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

So, yeah, using Botox can cause Botulism if done wrong...
Outbreaks

But things go badly when too much botulism is injected, as appears to be the case in Turkey. Officials in Europe traced the cases in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland to a single clinic in Istanbul. The cases in Turkey also link to that clinic, except for three that were traced to a private hospital in Izmir, Turkey. The ECDC noted that European patients coordinated their risky medical tourism via a WhatsApp group.

In the past, such iatrogenic botulism clusters have been linked to counterfeit toxin products, as was the case in an outbreak in Egypt in 2017. Last August, the World Health Organization warned of counterfeit batches of a botulism toxin product called Dysport. The bad batches had been detected in several countries, including Turkey. But a Turkish investigation of the current outbreak found it involved legitimate, licensed products, though ones that were not approved for use in the stomach, the ECDC reported. Turkish authorities have reportedly suspended medical procedures at both the health facilities identified and have begun further investigations into the medical providers involved.

The patients with botulism, meanwhile, face a long, harrowing road.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Other than grilling I don't remember my dad cooking either until my mom get too weak to cook. Then he took over and in roughly a year he's become pretty decent. Maybe it helped that my brother and I have both been big cooks for years.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

My dad did everything once. Picked eggs? Check. Wok with Yan wok cooking/stir fry? Check. Roast turkey? Check. Egg drop soup? Check. Picked beets? Check.

Everything once. Then never again.

Although he would make sandwiches regularly.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

My dad did most of the cooking in my house growing up. When he would travel on business, we would have simpler things that my mom felt more comfortable making. It's weird because my mom grew up on a farm with 5 brothers (and a sister who was born much later), so you figure she would have spent time with her mom in the kitchen. Then again, my grandma was kind of known for getting the roast in the oven at the crack of dawn so it would be good and ready by dinner time, so perhaps it's for the better that my mom didn't carry through her cooking skills.

Anyway, in my current household I do the cooking and my wife does the baking. That means I use minimal sugar while my wife uses a good deal.

And sugar on rice is crazypants.

Post by Default »

Looks like I'm going to have to take my cat to the vet for the last time. She had a tumor removed, and that went well, but she has refused to eat on her own. Now, her hindquarters are too weak for her to stand. I'm home this weekend, so I'm going to force feed her to see if I can get her strength up.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:02 pm And sugar on rice is crazypants.
Growing up, we would take leftover rice, cover it in milk, put in a couple pads of butter, raisins, cinnamon, and sugar then microwave the whole thing. Kinda similar to rice pudding, but without the actual pudding consistency (a texture I hate). Haven’t had that for years, but absolutely loved it as a kid.

Since we’re talking food, I have a confession to make. I’m almost 49 years old and have never had a cup of coffee. Not once. I’ve had coffee flavored things (all of which I find pretty gross) but have never actually had coffee. Grew up in a Mormon family of non-coffee drinkers and have just never had any interest.

I’m almost tempted to try it just to say I have. I love the smell, but have always hated the taste of anything coffee flavored.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:42 pm
Growing up, we would take leftover rice, cover it in milk, put in a couple pads of butter, raisins, cinnamon, and sugar then microwave the whole thing. Kinda similar to rice pudding, but without the actual pudding consistency (a texture I hate). Haven’t had that for years, but absolutely loved it as a kid.

Since we’re talking food, I have a confession to make. I’m almost 49 years old and have never had a cup of coffee. Not once. I’ve had coffee flavored things (all of which I find pretty gross) but have never actually had coffee. Grew up in a Mormon family of non-coffee drinkers and have just never had any interest.

I’m almost tempted to try it just to say I have. I love the smell, but have always hated the taste of anything coffee flavored.
... y'all gotta stop giving gilraen ideas... :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:42 pm I’m almost tempted to try it just to say I have. I love the smell, but have always hated the taste of anything coffee flavored.
I never had coffee until I was around 22 - I was interning for the first time and dragging my ass in the office. My coworkers offered me a cup of coffee and I've been addicted ever since. I am not a morning person at all so coffee is pretty much the only thing keeping me from killing everyone.

I have no interest in fancy coffee or Starbucks or whatever people claim is the best way to make it. I will drink it brewed through a paper towel to get my fix. That said, there is no greater coffee than coffee made in a diner.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hope your cat improves Default.-

Yes that butter and sugar on white rice video is the way we had it growing up in the south. I ate some the other day. Its the only way I eat white rice unless its in a shepherds pie or some stew is ladled over it for some reason.

When I was a kid I thought rice pudding and tapioca pudding where the same thing...almost but not quite.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:42 pm
Yeah, I guess we would do something similar on occasion. That's different from sugar on fresh, hot rice, though. It was a cobbled together late night treat on those rare nights we had rice (for some reason my mom hated rice, and we would only have it when she wasn't around).
Skinypupy wrote:Since we’re talking food, I have a confession to make. I’m almost 49 years old and have never had a cup of coffee. Not once. I’ve had coffee flavored things (all of which I find pretty gross) but have never actually had coffee. Grew up in a Mormon family of non-coffee drinkers and have just never had any interest.

If you don't like coffee flavored candy, I don't think you're going to like the real thing. Personally, I only drink coffee on days that end in "y", and then I drink it as black as my soul (keep in mind, I'm a lawyer).
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

My father used to take cold leftover white rice, put it in a bowl, pour milk and a sprinkle of sugar over it. It was eaten cold. He said that he had it quite a bit growing up (during the depression), and it certainly got a lot of mileage when we were perpetually broke when I was a kid.

When it comes down to it, it's not all that different than a bowl of cereal.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I can't conceive of sugar on rice and yet I'll put sweet chili sauce on it which is full sugar or sweet and sour which is full of sugar or plum sauce which is full of sugar or soy which is merely full of salt. I also will scramble an egg or put cheese in white rice... or both. White rice by itself isn't for me but it makes for a good delivery system like fries or a way good way to add substance to something like broccoli. The best thing about white rice, is putting it in the fridge over night and then frying the next day in soy and whatever meat/cookable produce you happen to have in fridge (eggs, chicken, broccoli, chives, shrimp, onions, peas, whatever)
Brian

Post by Brian »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:11 pm My father used to take cold leftover white rice, put it in a bowl, pour milk and a sprinkle of sugar over it. It was eaten cold. He said that he had it quite a bit growing up (during the depression), and it certainly got a lot of mileage when we were perpetually broke when I was a kid.

When it comes down to it, it's not all that different than a bowl of cereal.
We'd get that served to us in our grade school lunchroom. With a bit of cinnamon on top.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

My dad would never eat rice. He remembered eating all that maggot infested rice when he was in the army.
For me it was getting ptomaine poisoning when I was in the air force and ate rabbit. I'll still eat wild rabbit just not any tame stuff.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

My father in law wouldn't touch rice. That was far'ner food.

He was very Indiana.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

There's such as dish as "rice pudding" but I've never eaten it.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds