Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: Random randomness

Post by Blackhawk »

Unagi wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:32 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:28 pm Nope. I am well aware of the correct way to spell them. It's the self-doubt problem. No matter what trick I use to remember it, I remember that I always get it wrong. So I spell it right, then change it to wrong, then doubt that one...

Stupid psychology.

At least I finally broke myself of doing that with calender.
I have the identical problem with maybe a half dozen words. I start with some problem - learn the right answer and even maybe a trick to recall it... but then later when it comes up I will not remember if my little trick was what worked or what was fooling me originally - and I can't remember if what I'm now thinking is really really right, or if I've now corrected myself twice and I'm back to my original mistake. It works (or haunts me) on other things besides just spelling too.
That is it exactly. Knowing you need to fix it, but questioning whether you already have leading to a thought loop.

It's a little like saying the same word repeatedly and having that word lose all meaning. Once I've fixed it once or twice, the actual spelling gets lost.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:03 pm One of my neighbors is mowing. If this warm / hot weather continues I may have too as stuff is greening out and the grass is perking up. But mowing in the winter just doesn't feel right.
If this weather holds, the first mow could be a week away but this weather won't hold. That said, I would start spring lawn today but there is no lawn pick up until the last week of March. Storms were bad this year and I have a lot downed bits of tree that need to be broken up and hauled away. I suppose I could put them stuff out on the curb and let it sit for a month. I might do that, but more realistic, if the weather holds, I have a few days work to put in on a a garage repair before cleaning up branches and shrubs and the trees and fence line that need to be cut back.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

We are due for strong storms tonight, tomorrow, and tomorrow night fizzling out sometime Friday morning. I NEED to go to town Friday but with how warm it is and no AC and only 1 window working I cant go in the rain because I cant roll my window down and the windows will also fog up to where i cant see.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:47 pm We are due for strong storms tonight, tomorrow, and tomorrow night fizzling out sometime Friday morning. I NEED to go to town Friday but with how warm it is and no AC and only 1 window working I cant go in the rain because I cant roll my window down and the windows will also fog up to where i cant see.
Sounds like you should have gone today.
Or now.

Or perhaps it’s an appointment?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

No money. Friday is check day. Ive been waiting for 2 weeks.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Whiskey fungus!!!! Place is not that far down the road and yet Ive never done a tour. Cant even have a sample though as the county they are in is a dry county lol.

Jack Daniels "whiskey fungus" affecting Lincoln County residents
Residents in Lincoln County, Tennessee, are concerned about the growth of a black mold known as Baudoinia compniacensis caused by ethanol vapor from Jack Daniel's facilities, covering their homes, porches, cars, and trees.

Enraged citizens are demanding the company and the county take action to address the issue and prove that the ethanol-filled air is safe to breathe.

Residents also seek an air-filtration system and an environmental-impact study to assess health risks from ethanol emanating from the barrel houses.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:49 pm I wish that Firefox had a custom spell-check dictionary for gamers and nerds. Something that includes video game titles, tabletop terms, terms related to certain shows, tech terms, etc.

Instead, it tells me that 'gamers' is misspelled in the previous sentence.

And in the previous sentence as well.
Rest assured, this is easily rectified:

How to Edit Firefox’s Dictionary and Remove Misspelled Words
guidingtech.com wrote:How to add a new word to the spell checker

If you type any word which is not present in the Firefox dictionary then you would get the red underline as we mentioned. If you are sure that the word you typed is correctly spelled then you can add that word to Firefox's dictionary by right clicking on it and choosing “Add to Dictionary”

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Anonymous Bosch

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:35 pm Also, I am completely incapable of spelling 'misspell' correctly on the first try. I write it correctly, then remember that it is a frequently misspelled word, and that I usually get it wrong, so I correct it - to the wrong spelling.

I do the same thing with restaurant.
Since you're a tabletop gaming grognard, just think of Warhammer 40K:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:28 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:49 pm I wish that Firefox had a custom spell-check dictionary for gamers and nerds. Something that includes video game titles, tabletop terms, terms related to certain shows, tech terms, etc.

Oh, I know how to edit it (or add words to it.) I was saying that I wish there was a custom dictionary that one could import with all of the words associated with our interests already in it, all at once for every machine rather than one word at a time over the course of years, and having to jump through silly hoops to try and 'synchronize' different machines.

A nice import option with a number of crowd-sourced dictionaries for various interests (and engineering dictionary, a gaming dictionary, etc.)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1213518
The builtin en-US dictionary can be found in the dictionaries folder in the Firefox program folder. You can edit this file and remove the corresponding lines if you want to these words to be flagged as misspelled. Best is probably to keep a backup copy of this file to compare it for changes in case Firefox replaces the file when updating.

User installed dictionaries are installed in the extensions folder the profile folder.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yes, I know.

?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

14 years ago there was this:

Dictionary for Geeks extension for Firefox.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I'm surprised that it has taken this long for someone to make the conceptual leap from self-driving cars to self-repo cars.

Future Fords Could Repossess Themselves and Drive Away if You Miss Payments
verage car payments have been rising for a while. Although auto loan delinquency rates have been down since the height of the pandemic, Ford applied for a patent to make the repossession process go smoother. For the bank, that is.

The patent document was submitted to the United States Patent Office in August 2021 but it was formally published Feb. 23. It's titled "Systems and Methods to Repossess a Vehicle." It describes several ways to make the life of somebody who has missed several car payments harder.

It explicitly says the system, which could be installed on any future vehicle in the automaker's lineup with a data connection would be capable of "[disabling] a functionality of one or more components of the vehicle." Everything from the engine to the air conditioning. For vehicles with autonomous or semi-autonomous driving capability, the system could "move the vehicle from a first spot to a second spot that is more convenient for a tow truck to tow the vehicle... move the vehicle from the premises of the owner to a location such as, for example, the premises of the repossession agency," or, if the lending institution considers the "financial viability of executing a repossession procedure" to be unjustifiable, the vehicle could drive itself to the junkyard.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Coming soon to a theater near you:

Auto-Repo Man
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I would have figured John Deere would have beat them to the punch.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

So if the car is parked in a garage does it ram the garage door?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And we're back to buying The Club - now to stop vehicles from stealing themselves.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Repo Man 2: Wheres My Car Dude pt2
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:28 pm

How to Edit Firefox’s Dictionary and Remove Misspelled Words
guidingtech.com wrote:How to add a new word to the spell checker

If you type any word which is not present in the Firefox dictionary then you would get the red underline as we mentioned. If you are sure that the word you typed is correctly spelled then you can add that word to Firefox's dictionary by right clicking on it and choosing “Add to Dictionary”

You don't even need to go through that much effort, when you right click on misspelled spellcheck, you can just click add to dictionary.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:49 am So if the car is parked in a garage does it ram the garage door?
Assuming with parking/driving assist it won't. The question is what will it do? Wait for you to go somewhere and then make a break for it after you get out of the car? How long does it wait?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:30 am
Jaymann wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:49 am So if the car is parked in a garage does it ram the garage door?
Assuming with parking/driving assist it won't. The question is what will it do? Wait for you to go somewhere and then make a break for it after you get out of the car? How long does it wait?
That could make for an interesting story.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

until

is spelled

you
en
tee
eye
ell
ell
backspace
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:lol:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

So if you have a toddler in a car seat in back and you step out to throw away a bag of garbage in the can by the car it may take off with the kid in it? Isn't that kidnapping?

Also from the things the car says it can do what if it locks the doors when you step out and turns off the ac..the kid dies in a hot car....murder? Do you electrocute the car in a big chair at the junkyard or just crush it?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Slept a fitful off and on 2 hours last night if lucky. Its 6am now. I meant to sleep until 7:30. But ive been excited waiting all week to go to town today and get food. my check came this morning..yay! Now I just have to be careful and not go crazy and spend too much. I have to make do until my food stamps come in another week. So simple stuff like bread and cheap canned meat. maybe some sandwich meat and some sweets. Im eating a spoon of sugar off and on during the day for sweets this week ugh.

Maybe Ill sleep come tonight.

PS ...and NO eggs...dont buy eggs! Man they used to be my go to cheap item.

Maybe Ill make a new music cd from my mp3's while Im waiting for stuff to open. Gotta go early due to storms rolling in around 12...plus with 1 window and no ac it gets damn hot in that car. I dont know if its me after 50 or my meds or both but I cannot take heat now.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Grrr...I have a small heater and all the settings and such glow on it. Trouble comes with the power button. The glowing 'power' light....the circle with a point in it.....glows above the actual buttom. So Im always pushing on the glowing power light first instead of the button. One day my monkey brain will get this puzzle.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

So what is the proper grammar here...

I am being told (by Grammarly) this is wrong:
I'm thankful a couple were still around.

and this is correct?
I'm thankful a couple was still around.

But I don't agree.
I realize it's a singular 'a couple', but it doesn't sound right to speak of that group as a single.

For example:

When looking for double A batteries yesterday, I was thankful a couple were still good.
When looking for double A batteries yesterday, I was thankful a couple was still good.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I think grammerly is confuzled. It disambiguates a couple as being a singular entity when you were treating it as a general term for a small plurality. It does not understand that there is an implied noun after couple. If you change it to "
I'm thankful a couple of double AA batteries were still around.
" it should change its tune.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Ok ok.

But it had One Job

:)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Unagi wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:01 am But it had One Job
:lol:

I love using that. Made me chuckle.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

A couple was sitting on the park bench.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:10 am A couple was sitting on the park bench.
Yeah, there are certainly places where it is 'the couple' (that singular object that is a "them") that is the subject of the sentence.

But then you could also have: I had to find all my students. A couple were sitting on the park bench.
Last edited by Unagi on Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It's important to keep the fundamental principle of English grammar in mind when contemplating the nuances thereof: Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Unagi wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:18 am
Jaymann wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:10 am A couple was sitting on the park bench.
Yeah, there are certainly places where it is 'the couple' (that singular object that is a "them") that is the subject of the sentence.

But then you could also have: I had to find all my students. A couple were sitting on the park bench.
I'm this example the couple is referring back to the plural students. (A couple of what? Students)
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Now, speaking of pronunciation.

What irritates me is when people pronounce the word mischievous incorrectly.
Many (most?) people say miss chee' vee us.

It should be pronounced miss' chuv us.

It comes from the root word mischief. miss' chuff.

The second i (ee sound) is not in front of the ous, but is before the v. It should sound like mischief. miss' chuv us
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

would you accept miss chee vus ?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I say different as diffrent...so Im constantly having to catch my spelling of it...."3 syllables man 3!!

Over the years I also starting saying remember as member..."Member the time we..."
Anonymous Bosch

Daehawk wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:28 pm Over the years I also starting saying remember as member..."Member the time we..."
Anonymous Bosch

I found this amusing.

Here's a talented lass named Ally the Piper, who absolutely nails this version of "Freebird"… on her bagpipes:

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Anyone else remember traveler's checks? I hear they are very rare now. Ive not seen any since the early 1980s. When my dad and step mom would take me to Florida my dad would get a bunch of them. I never understood why he changed normal money that was fine into colorful play looking money. In fact Im still not up on it. As I recall it had to do with safety of being stolen and being replaced.

I guess now days with all the cards people have (like prepaid) , electronic funds, and phones you just wave to pay they are a thing of the past.

Enlarge Image