Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: Random randomness

Post by Blackhawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:56 am
CSL wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:54 am I know i'm not the only person who ventures around wikipedia a lot so I was wondering what interesting articles everyone has come across. The daily article was particularly interesting today and it was on....

Exploding Whales
Exodor wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:11 pm Happy Exploding Whale Day

:mrgreen: :horse:
Oregon baseball team unveils new uniforms paying homage to exploding whale
The name and logo are great. The color? Egads. My eyes hurt.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I like them but not $85 worth of like. Perhaps if they sold the hats but they don't seem to do that.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Almost everything is currently sold out in adult sizes.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I got a new laptop at work and was going through old files to see what I could clean up before migrating and I found a document with this:
darkness
light
avoid the fight

change
fear
so unclear

shattered
scattered
never mattered

seething
breathing
silence
It's from 2015. No idea if I wrote that or stole it from someplace. I know I have had some less pleasant times in my life but don't remember it ever being that dark.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

If you're a proper nerd of a certain age, you probably recognize many, if not all, of these vintage computer systems.

Egad! 7 key British PCs of the 1980s Americans might have missed
  • Sinclair ZX81 (1981)
  • BBC Micro (1981)
  • Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K (1982)
  • Dragon Data Dragon 32 (1982)
  • Acorn Electron (1983)
  • Amstrad CPC 464 (1984)
  • Acorn Archimedes A300/A400 (1987)
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The only one I dont recognize is the Dragon one.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:37 pm If you're a proper nerd of a certain age, you probably recognize many, if not all, of these vintage computer systems.

Egad! 7 key British PCs of the 1980s Americans might have missed
  • Sinclair ZX81 (1981)
  • BBC Micro (1981)
  • Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K (1982)
  • Dragon Data Dragon 32 (1982)
  • Acorn Electron (1983)
  • Amstrad CPC 464 (1984)
  • Acorn Archimedes A300/A400 (1987)
Indeed, as a British lad growing up in the eighties, between my friends and I, we owned and used all but the Acorn Archimedes (though I personally went on to favour the good ol' Commodore 64).

FWIW, the Beeb made an amusing docu-drama called Micro Men which is all about the British home computer boom of the early 1980s, and shows the intense rivalry that developed therein. It stars Martin Freeman, and is well worth watching IMHO:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:51 pm
dbt1949 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:28 pm Over the last few years my sleeping has gotten worse. I use a cpap. Come to find out the cpap is probably the problem. It may help you breath better but it makes you sleep worse. :?
Do you have sleep apnea, and is the CPAP calibrated for you? And have you tried other mask options? There are several.

If you do have sleep apnea, not breathing for extended periods at night does considerable damage, and is far more of an issue than the discomfort of the machine. FWIW, when I had sleep apnea, I got used to mine after a few weeks, and actually slept really well with it.
there are now semi-experimental orthodontics to expand one's jaw (and subsequently, reshape the nasal cavities), which ought to reduce or remove snoring and apnea.
the Homeoblock is a fascinating such device: https://drtheodorebelfor.com/
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Getting the back of your tongue lopped off works, too (although I wouldn't recommend it.)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I've been using my old CPAP for so long, I'm due for a replacement, so I'm going to see a sleep doc next month.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:06 pm I've been using my old CPAP for so long, I'm due for a replacement, so I'm going to see a sleep doc next month.
Speaking of which: Phillips had to do a recall on their cpap devices, so after a couple years they just confirmed they are sending me a new replacement. I had to buy one in the meantime, but now that becomes my spare.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

My cpap gave me a message saying the life expendency had expired. I called the VA about it and they told me to ignore it. None the less a couple of years later they gave me a new one.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I think I'd call the mfg.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

With my machine the message appeared after ten years. And in my case everything is free.(VA)
How much do new ones go for?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Brand spanking new? Probably 800-1500 depending on options.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:46 am Brand spanking new? Probably 800-1500 depending on options.
Get the flame decal. It's totally worth the $100 upgrade cost.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Why does a place as big as Amazon have such scant EBT eligible items? I cant find jack. I wasn't able to go to the food bank after waiting 3 months to go because my car battery was dead. I have $12 in EBT but I cant get to town to use it. Im down to 3 cans potted meat, 2 vienna, 1 frozen chicken breast and 1 frozen dinner for the next 8 days. I needed to buy 3 cans of soup. But nope.

Not sure what Im going to do. The item I put up for sale didn't sale. Out of 8 billion people on the planet a total of 4 viewed it. Ebay is not what it was. Years ago it would have had 80 views, 12 watchers, and at the end a bidding war. Now nothing.

Not to mention this next month is a restock month. SO the money I was going to use to restock necessities is going for a car battery.

Fun life.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I don't know if it's worth it to you but you can buy car batteries on Amazon. I have one right now that's 2-3 years old and works fine.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya but no money until a week from tomorrow.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:42 pm Why does a place as big as Amazon have such scant EBT eligible items?
I think they're all in Amazon Fresh under "groceries".
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kasey Chang wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:45 pm
Daehawk wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:42 pm Why does a place as big as Amazon have such scant EBT eligible items?
Thanks. Fresh says not available in my area. Oh well.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Tyler Perry is in Chattanooga filming his new film.

“Six Triple Eight” starring Kerry Washington, Oprah Winfrey, Susan Sarandon, and Sam Waterson.

The film is based on World War II’s only all-Black, all-woman unit — the 6888th Central Postal Directory Battalion.

Man Id love to meet them.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I saw our date on a magazine..2023 and it hit me of a memory from the 70s. I recall our teacher telling us that our young age we'd see the year 2000 and beyond. I was excited to hear that. The future! Robots, flying cars, laser guns, trips to the moon and Mars for everyday folk. ...aliens perhaps.

And it hit me on the current date.....its been the same amount of time passed since 2000 as it was UNTIL 2000 back then on that day. Kool thought.

Though nothing has really changed..all the same almost. Theres things like computers, the internet, cell phones and flat panel tvs. But they are still just tvs. Not 3d holograms. No trips to space or laser guns. No flying cars though self driving is close. No robots unless you count Roombas lol. For normal folk I mean..no Jetsons. Kinda disappinting in many ways but cool as heck in others.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

its because.

all this technological progress, but we are still just a bunch of people, with a bunch of people problems.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im in a bind it seems soon. I always buy stacks of old newspapers from my local newspaper. We used to go in the 90s and buy a trunk load for $8. Now I get two stacks about a foot deep each for $5. BUT the newspaper has closed and been sold. I got some late last year and have a few months left. But after that Im screwed.

I use them for my little tiny chihuahuas potty paper area. He is trained to go to a paper and we have always had a little off area set aside for him and my dog before him. Im not sure what Ill do or how to cope with this problem when it comes to. Maybe Chattanooga still has a paper. Ill see about that. And pee pads are waaay to small. ..and expensive. His area is 2 papers opened up and spread out side by side to form one large area.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

My dogs just do their thing in the house and I clean it up. Every once in awhile using a rug cleaner (that I own) to clean if up.
The stairs on the porch are too steep and high for them.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:43 pm I saw our date on a magazine..2023 and it hit me of a memory from the 70s. I recall our teacher telling us that our young age we'd see the year 2000 and beyond. I was excited to hear that. The future! Robots, flying cars, laser guns, trips to the moon and Mars for everyday folk. ...aliens perhaps.

And it hit me on the current date.....its been the same amount of time passed since 2000 as it was UNTIL 2000 back then on that day. Kool thought.

Though nothing has really changed..all the same almost. Theres things like computers, the internet, cell phones and flat panel tvs. But they are still just tvs. Not 3d holograms. No trips to space or laser guns. No flying cars though self driving is close. No robots unless you count Roombas lol. For normal folk I mean..no Jetsons. Kinda disappinting in many ways but cool as heck in others.

I was disappointed in not have practical flying cars in everyday use.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:30 pm My dogs just do their thing in the house and I clean it up. Every once in awhile using a rug cleaner (that I own) to clean if up.
The stairs on the porch are too steep and high for them.
My little guy likes to sneak and use a rug sometimes. He prefers the rugs because when he pees it soaks in and doesn't puddle and get on his paws to wet them. Lol. I have to clean mine sometime too.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:05 pm “Six Triple Eight” starring Kerry Washington, Oprah Winfrey, Susan Sarandon, and Sam Waterson.

The film is based on World War II’s only all-Black, all-woman unit — the 6888th Central Postal Directory Battalion.
Women of the 6888th
THE 6888th was NOT an All-Black or an All-African-American unit. The 6888 Central Postal Directory Battalion was a multi-ethnic unit that was predominantly Black with at least one Puerto Rican and Mexican woman. This is a change from what we have been writing and saying for years. Recently, the committee became aware of this mistake. The second oldest 6888th veteran still with us is 102-year-old PFC Crescencia Garcia is Puerto Rican and knew others in the unit. We also know that there was at least one Mexican member whose two daughters confirmed this.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:02 pm
Kasey Chang wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:45 pm
Thanks. Fresh says not available in my area. Oh well.
Amazon had planned to open five high-tech, no-checkout Amazon Fresh stores in Greater Boston, one very close to me. All of them are on hold in various states of completion -- the local one looks almost move-in ready, but it's empty and dark. Amazon isn't saying why. Speculation is that their automation isn't working as perfectly as it needs to and margins on groceries are too low to make the investment worthwhile.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Pepsi has a new logo

Enlarge Image

Logos through the decades....

Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I haven't been able to mow because my mowers battery was dead. I couldn't go anywhere or jump it because my car battery was dead. Today my sister came and boosted the car and I used it to start the mower. While I mow I use my little Amazon tablet I got before my wife died to listen to music in my bluetooth earbuds. Well I finished mowing and started to get off the mower...and got my leg caught on the tablet and it was fixed to not move so it bent it so much it shattered it. Fuck me. I think Ill check myself into a mental hospital geezus lol. I was just thinking last week if something happened to it I dont know what Id do.

Im afraid ill slice my finger trying to use it in its shattered state but I think I can get a cheap screen protector for it and still get some use from it. I had hoped to get a new tablet one day and put this away for memories sake. Still will but wanted it whole. Oh well. I think I can hold it together a while.

Never ends.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I got a msg from Ebay saying I was about to be charged $2...I have no idea what for as I always use free listings. Figures though as I had $5 in the bank yesterday but bought some hot dogs to survive the weekend..was out of food...now I have $1.88 in there. If my bank charges their standard $35 overdraft fee then Im instantly that much in the hole to start next month with..which mean Ill have to give up something I needed because Im already going to have $0 for all next month after bills and purchasing .

See my life for how many hits one can take..and BH....sry BH.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:13 pm See my life for how many hits one can take..and BH....sry BH.
What? Who? Where?

Ah. Much much of my life's problems were caused by two things out of my control (my father and my autism, which set me on a collision course it took me decades to recover from.) The fact remains that I'm a person unable to work to provide for myself, and yet I have a house, food, water, a bed, a TV, a computer, piles of books... at any other time in human history I'd be on the street wondering whether I'd freeze to death before I starved to death.

I think I actually have things pretty good.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I felt wrong for posting my life there. I know you have it just as hard. But then I feel wrong for mentioning you as Im sure you dont like to think about it either or be discussed in that manner. So I never know to leave you out of the same type problems I deal with or include you sometimes in the post because I dont want it to seem like Im always complaining and not understanding others are in the boat too.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:55 pm But then I feel wrong for mentioning you as Im sure you dont like to think about it either or be discussed in that manner.
That's the thing - I don't avoid thinking about it. I embrace thinking about it and go out of my way to make the time to do so. Not to dwell on how much it sucks (therein lies depression), but to come to terms with the reality of it. Coming to terms with it, accepting the elements of it that I cannot change, allows me to focus on the things that I can actually improve, and to find the bits that I do have that make me happy.

I'm not Buddhist, but when I was overwhelmed fifteen years or so ago after my divorce, when my net income was less than rent + electricity, and I was deep in depression, I found that certain elements of Buddhist thought did a great deal to improve my outlook. Simply put, if there is something that you have zero control over and cannot change, stressing about that fact is completely useless and serves as nothing more than self-inflicted torment. If something is wrong, change it. If you can't change it, accept it, and change something else.

Likewise, if there is something that is objectively unobtainable, don't waste your effort being upset that you don't have it. It doesn't achieve anything but more pain.

Not only does it all free you from the stress and worry, it helps you to make the best of what you do have.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sounds like what I used to tell my wife...and now myself 'sometimes'. She was a worrier and I cant count the times I told her to not worry about you cant change it or it doesn't affect you. Or even Why worry about it when you can do anything about it? I should take my own advice. But a lot of times its a worry of how can I fix something I need or have to have more than about things that I cant change or dont need.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:19 am But a lot of times its a worry of how can I fix something I need or have to have more than about things that I cant change or dont need.
You can either fix it (in which case do so, solving the problem), or you can't, but you can do something to make it possible later (in which case get the process started, then let it go until it's time), or you cannot do it at all (in which case you should let it go.)

I have a lot of posts here that are, in essence, me figuring out whether a problem or desire is something I can address, or if it is something I need to let go and move on from.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:17 pm
Daehawk wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:55 pm But then I feel wrong for mentioning you as Im sure you dont like to think about it either or be discussed in that manner.
That's the thing - I don't avoid thinking about it. I embrace thinking about it and go out of my way to make the time to do so. Not to dwell on how much it sucks (therein lies depression), but to come to terms with the reality of it. Coming to terms with it, accepting the elements of it that I cannot change, allows me to focus on the things that I can actually improve, and to find the bits that I do have that make me happy.

I'm not Buddhist, but when I was overwhelmed fifteen years or so ago after my divorce, when my net income was less than rent + electricity, and I was deep in depression, I found that certain elements of Buddhist thought did a great deal to improve my outlook. Simply put, if there is something that you have zero control over and cannot change, stressing about that fact is completely useless and serves as nothing more than self-inflicted torment. If something is wrong, change it. If you can't change it, accept it, and change something else.

Likewise, if there is something that is objectively unobtainable, don't waste your effort being upset that you don't have it. It doesn't achieve anything but more pain.

Not only does it all free you from the stress and worry, it helps you to make the best of what you do have.
Seems akin to the philosophy of stoicism, particularly what it teaches about good mental health. Stoicism is rooted in the belief that there are things in life that are out of your control. So instead of stressing about those things, it advocates focusing upon what you can control -- like your own emotions and reaction to externalities.

As a few of the most famous stoic philosophers famously put it:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke