Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jaymon

Re: Random randomness

Post by Jaymon »

I know this is late but, I have had good experience with Wrangler and Lee jeans. Instead of Levi. Becuase those brands both have a line of jeans with and elastic fit waistband, so when you are between sizes you can get the one thats a size too small, and it stretches to fit anyways.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jaymon wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:37 am get the one thats a size too small,
Riiiiight. :wink:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:21 pm Once again MS downloads another update and wants me to reset my computer. And they want you to do it with their button or it doesn't count. Regular reset won't do it.
I've never had an update that didn't allow me to simply restart with the start menu like normal (Start > Power icon > Restart becomes Start > Power icon > Update and Restart.) The only one that I know won't work is hitting the power/reset button on your tower (which is a terrible thing to do to your PC to begin with - it can eventually cause all sorts of problems as the various background programs can't clean up after themselves.)

And I've had as many programs improved by updates as worsened. I would recommend running ShutUp10 once a month or so with the recommended options if you're concerned about Microsoft being nosy.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

When I watch the news weather on TV the weather guy shows the area that is supposed to get rain.
In my head I'm thinking that's all getting rain at the same time. The reality is it could be a narrow band 20 miles wide and moving fast thru the area. So the weatherman is right, all that area he showed got rain.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I've lived in the pacific northwest for most of my life, so when the weather says 20% chance of rain. I interpret that as , -it will rain for 20% of the day.
The few times I lived in other places, I was generally confused and suprised by the weather constantly.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Weather.Gov wrote: Forecasts issued by the National Weather Service routinely include a "PoP" (probability of precipitation) statement, which is often expressed as the "chance of rain" or "chance of precipitation".

The "Probability of Precipitation" (PoP) simply describes the probability that the forecast grid/point in question will receive at least 0.01" of rain.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:21 pm Once again MS downloads another update and wants me to reset my computer. And they want you to do it with their button or it doesn't count. Regular reset won't do it.
Funny how this happens the second tuesday of every month (otherwise known as Patch Tuesday)...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Got a replacement CC today. Was very odd. No place to sign it and no activation phone number.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 2:05 pm Got a replacement CC today. Was very odd. No place to sign it and no activation phone number.
Sounds phishy
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Kraken wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:47 pm
Jaymann wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:54 pm
Kraken wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:18 pm
Fardaza wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 6:00 pm My wife uses egg shells broken up into small pieces and sprinkles them around the veggies in her garden. It keeps the slugs off the plants! They evidently don't like the sharp edges on their skin(?).
Makes sense, since the standard remedy for slugs is diatomaceous earth -- dirt comprised of minuscule sharp fossils.
Funny story about that. A friend of mine once worked in the kitchen at a farmer's market. He got the flour and the diatomaceous earth mixed up and made biscuits using the D. E. Nobody noticed the difference. They were literally eating dirt.
I can't imagine that was good for their intestinal lining.

Also, why would a kitchen have diatomaceous earth on the shelf?
i've read that ingesting (small amounts of) food-grade diatomaceous earth is a way to strengthen hair and nails

also, does sprinkling it in the garden actually work? i thought as soon as it gets wet, it loses its effectiveness as a crustacean/mollusk deterrent.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Diatoms are the fossilized remains of ocean plankton. I don’t imagine they get soggy, but I could be wrong.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Unagi wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 2:43 pm
dbt1949 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 2:05 pm Got a replacement CC today. Was very odd. No place to sign it and no activation phone number.
Sounds phishy
And it was a bitch to get. I had to show them the front and back of my driver's license.
Somehow they had forgot to send me a replacement back in November.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Rocket visited me again tonight. I had left the dog door for the second night. After I got up to go to the bathroom I saw him scuttle out the dog door. After doing my business I went back to close the dogdoor and refill my dog's water and dry food and I snuck up on him to within about thee feet. Him ran like a big fat guy was standing next to him and stared at me from outside thru the sliding glass door. I made faces at him and he ran away.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Part of that was English. Is this a racoon? Hence the reasoning for naming it Rocket.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Yeh, I figure I get to name him/her.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

They're very smart and very clean. They love running water like a hose or a faucet.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

And washing their dirty little hands in the dog's water!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Death metal band starts a circle pit of little kids during the Zelda midnight launch in front of a GameStop

How’s that for random?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kids these days don't know how to mosh!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Word of the day at the end of a FridayImage

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I can't vouch for the accuracy of this tweet, but it's definitely random randomness:

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:17 pm Word of the day at the end of a Friday

Enlarge Image
Here's a helpful book for that:

Enlarge Image
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Holman

Post by Holman »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 3:30 pm Diatoms are the fossilized remains of ocean plankton. I don’t imagine they get soggy, but I could be wrong.
I have learned more about diatoms in the past three months than I ever knew.

From the website of my new employer: diatom herbarium
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 3:30 pm Diatoms are the fossilized remains of ocean plankton. I don’t imagine they get soggy, but I could be wrong.
"Getting Diatomaceous Earth wet makes it non-irritating while also rendering it ineffective against insects. Essentially, the minute particles in DE will fill up with moisture. This means that you can quickly clean up Diatomaceous Earth by adding water and wiping up the mud that forms. This method is best if you accidentally spill some Diatomaceous Earth in an area where you don’t want it. Don’t attempt a wet clean-up if you want the powder to still function as an insecticide." https://www.saferbrand.com/articles/cle ... eous-earth

this is what i previously knew. but it does ever regain its effectiveness after drying out? this link indicates so?
https://www.wikihow.com/Apply-Diatomace ... h-Outdoors
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

On Memorial Day I get to celebrate the passing of both my dad and my father-in-law on that date.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

dbt1949 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 11:12 pm On Memorial Day I get to celebrate the passing of both my dad and my father-in-law on that date.
That's sad. Wife has a good memory for dates and frequently reminds me of death anniversaries that I would rather she didn't. I know that both my dad and my sister died within a week of my birthday, but I don't remember the dates or even the years. She recently reminded me that my dad was younger than I am when he died, so thanks for that, honey.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

My dad was 60. He had a triple by-pass ten years earlier and I understand at that time ten years was about right.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My step father died on Memorial Day weekend 1985. He was just 1 year older than I am now. He was riding his motorcycle when a woman turned left in front of him. He fell off the bike, maybe knocked semi conscious. She jumped out of her car and didn't put it in park so it then rolled onto him. It pulled his helmet and chin strap up tight and he couldn't breath. No one moved the car then and he suffocated right there under it. He didn't have any other injuries except it appeared his palms were chaffed or blistered as it appeared he was fighting to get the car off him so he could breath. Dumbasses stood around doing nothing for fear of being sued or something. So a really great guy died due to lack of air....or maybe stupidity of humans.

SO many damn motorcycle deaths are caused by drivers turning left in front of them. Old fucks dont look or dont see them..they're looking for car sized stuff coming at them. Its awful.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

So I'm having this dream where Michelle Pfeiffer asks me to go to the beach with her and................the dog jumps me and wakes me up. :x
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Am watching Rodan on Prime with commercials. I think it's my favorite of all the olde time monster movies.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

dbt1949 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:08 pm Am watching Rodan on Prime with commercials. I think it's my favorite of all the olde time monster movies.
Thanks for the reminder, it's also on HBO Max. I remember that scene with the giant egg freaked me out as a kid.

LOL they knew about global warming in the 50's.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Do Iguanas tails break off when you try to catch them? What about komodo dragons?

Did you know godzilla can change his skin color when he wants to hide?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

dbt1949 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:41 am Do Iguanas tails break off when you try to catch them? What about komodo dragons?
According to the internets, most iguanas are capable of caudal autotomony (i.e. shedding their tail) but monitor lizards, including Komodo dragons, are not. I guess if you're an apex predator, being able to shed your tale to escape a predator isn't as useful as it is for a prey animal.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Oviedo is where my wife and I sometimes go to eat lunch. We did not check the the storm drain on our last visit!

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Supreme irony?

Enlarge Image
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

This is third time in the last two days someone has posted images from i.imgur.com that do not work for me. "contains errors" Happens in multiple browsers.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I see the alligator video and the stuck truck pic in FireFox.
Anonymous Bosch

LordMortis wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 5:47 pm This is third time in the last two days someone has posted images from i.imgur.com that do not work for me. "contains errors" Happens in multiple browsers.
Dunno if you're using a VPN, but Imgur appears to have stepped up their blocking of VPNs.

The simplest and easiest way around this is to use something like the LibRedirect web extension that redirects common sites like YouTube, Twitter, Imgur, and other websites to alternative privacy-friendly frontends. So, in the case of Imgur, it will redirect Imgur links to a privacy-friendly rimgo frontend.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Not a VPN. But maybe it's my ISP.
Anonymous Bosch

LordMortis wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 8:53 pm Not a VPN. But maybe it's my ISP.
Could be. Either way, using something like LibRedirect or Redirector to automatically redirect Imgur links to rimgo provides better performance, because it prevents Imgur from collecting information about your device and using tracking cookies for advertising. So YMMV, but in my experience, it's a superior option all the way around.