2024 Fundraising - $1192 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Can the Red Sox do it???

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

J.D.

Can the Red Sox do it???

Post by J.D. »

There are only two teams in professional sports history that have come from behind 0-3 to win the series.

The 1942 Toronto Maple Leafs and the 1975 New York Islanders.

But then again, why not them??
Ralph-Wiggum

Re: Can the Red Sox do it???

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

J.D. wrote:There are only two teams in professional sports history that have come from behind 0-3 to win the series.

The 1942 Toronto Maple Leafs and the 1975 New York Islanders.

But then again, why not them??
Because they are the Red Sox and they always choke? :wink:
DiscoJason

Post by DiscoJason »

I sure hope so, but to play right into the whole "Curse" thing, how tragic would it be for the Red Sox to fight to get to Game 7 after being down 0-3 and then have some freakish choke play or bad umpire call deny them entry into the World Series?

I hope I am wrong because I hate the Yankees more than anything and they need to go down.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Look at it this way. Sure only 2 teams have come back from 0-3. But only 5 teams in the NHL have forced a game 7 after being down 0-3. So if you insist on looking at NHL numbers, the Sox have a 40% chance of winning the series having made it this far. That's a better chance than any player had getting a hit during the regular season during any one at-bat.

I look at it this way. If someone told me two weeks ago there would be a game 7 in this series, I would have agreed. It's not that crazy. If you told me Boston would win it in 7, I might make a joke about the end of the world, but again, it's not that crazy with the team they have. On the other hand, if someone told me the Yankees would lead 3-0 at some point, I would think them a deluded Yankee fan. So as it turns out, the more suprising (to me) thing has already happened, the 3-0 series lead. Game 7 is really what I was expecting in the first place.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
The Mad Hatter

Post by The Mad Hatter »

I wouldn't want to be in Yankee Stadium if they do pull it off. If they had to call out the riot police last night imagine how it will be if the Yankees are eliminated.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

The Mad Hatter wrote:I wouldn't want to be in Yankee Stadium if they do pull it off. If they had to call out the riot police last night imagine how it will be if the Yankees are eliminated.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I sure hope they can pull it off but deep down I feel something will happen to deny them...thought that came last night when the ball was slapped out of the pitchers hand but the umps were actually brave enough to get the call reversed.
Grievous Angel

Post by Grievous Angel »

I'm pulling for the Red Sox, and I think they have a good chance tonight. If someone has to lose to the NL team, I'd rather it be Boston than New York.
Devil

Post by Devil »

If someone has to lose to the NL team...
Lose to a what team? N-what? There are games after tonight? :wink:

Can't wait to see the NorthEastern students rip the city apart if the Sox actually pull this one out.
Koz

Post by Koz »

Oh man, I am so nervous. The last few games weren't that bad since they always had to win another anyways. But now it's a 1-game series. Pitching today is going to be like Russian roulette: which pitcher blows up first?

I know the history, the tradition, and the fact that the entire season hinges on one game with the "come from behind" Yankees. I'm a nervous wreck and the game doesn't start for six more hours!
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

I think they can do it. If Bellhorn can finally be a hero, so can the Red Sox. Curses don't exist and they're so tremendously due.
Mithridates

Post by Mithridates »

Koz wrote:Oh man, I am so nervous. The last few games weren't that bad since they always had to win another anyways. But now it's a 1-game series. Pitching today is going to be like Russian roulette: which pitcher blows up first?

I know the history, the tradition, and the fact that the entire season hinges on one game with the "come from behind" Yankees. I'm a nervous wreck and the game doesn't start for six more hours!
I hear you. My guts have been churning all day. I'm proud the Sox came back regardless. But I want so badly to have the thrill of seeing the dejected Yankees at the end of this game.
Ibby

Post by Ibby »

If not Bill Buckner, I'm sure someone else will step up to screw it up in game 7. :wink:
DiscoJason

Post by DiscoJason »

Ibby wrote:If not Bill Buckner, I'm sure someone else will step up to screw it up in game 7. :wink:
You know what would be awesome? If Bill Buckner was in the stands and interfered with a foul ball like that Cubs fan did last year and it cost Boston the game. That would rule!
Discalced

Post by Discalced »

rrmorton wrote:ICurses don't exist...
Curses by design, and thus curses properly labelled as such, or curses by factual extraction/deduction, and thus labelled such in hindsight?

As the poet wrote:

'Twas an eventide of merriment, til the brackish witch awoke
and voiced a hex upon my brood to pierce with vocal stroke
and socks dyed red now soaked with tears were shod by Paul Revere
His eighty-six year midnight ride shall find its respite here.
Ibby

Post by Ibby »

DiscoJason wrote:
You know what would be awesome? If Bill Buckner was in the stands and interfered with a foul ball like that Cubs fan did last year and it cost Boston the game. That would rule!
Game 7 is in New York, no? The Yankees might raise a statue in his honor.