2024 Fundraising - $1192 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Friday Night Lights impressions

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

rrmorton

Friday Night Lights impressions

Post by rrmorton »

Nothing like a good sports movie when you're in the mood for a good sports movie.

Young, not-yet-sure-of-himself quarterback? Check.
Hotshot superstar? Check.
Abusive father? Check.
Bone-crunching football action? Check.
Inspirational half-time locker room speech? Check.
Slow-motion hail mary? Check.

The movie does a great job depicting high-school-football-obsessed smalltown Texas. Billy Bob Thornton gives his coach character a reserved and dignified decency. He doesn't swear, he just dadgums and bob-gollies. I had a lump in my throat a couple times but I didn't cry because I'm a man not a pussy!

Definitely the best high school football movie I've seen.

Recommendado!
WPD

Post by WPD »

Those questions answer all my questions except one...
Is there any hot promiscuous teen sex?
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

Check. 8)

But it's PG-13. :(
WPD

Post by WPD »

Doesn't PG-13 make any hot promiscuous teen sex neither hot nor promiscuous, and most likely not sex either? :cry:
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Will you settle for lukewarm reserved teenage groping, then?

- Ash
EngineNo9

Post by EngineNo9 »

So have any of you read the book it is based on, and does it do any sort of justice to that?
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

Nope, didn't read the book. Didn't even know it was based on a book. It says "based on a true story" at the beginning and there's some where-are-they-now text at the end.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I've heard that it's much more positive than the book. There was an article in the Chicago Tribune over the weekend on it. The city where it was based was pissed as hell when the book came out, but they're happy with the movie.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Are there any scenes that top the sundae scene in varsity blues?
knob

Post by knob »

EvilHomer3k wrote:Are there any scenes that top the sundae scene in varsity blues?

Oh god, I still remember that.

But as for the actual movie the thread discusses: Is there enough to make it worth watching if you're perfectly content with Remember the Titans, Varsity Blues, and uh Little Big League?
If I had a sig, would you read it?
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Are there any scenes that top the sundae scene in varsity blues?
No. It's more. . .I don;t know the word I'd use. Not realistic. . .but aiming for a better depiction of how football is in such a town in Texas.
I've heard that it's much more positive than the book. There was an article in the Chicago Tribune over the weekend on it. The city where it was based was pissed as hell when the book came out, but they're happy with the movie.
I'd be curious to here what is meant by "more positive". If I ahd to guess, I'd guess that the community comes off like a bunch of deranged cultists or something in the book. ;)

I wonder which parts are true, or "loosely based on the truth". Ex: events leading to the "injury". Also, I wonder about that stuff concerning the Championship game - all the stuff leading up to it, plus how the game actually went down.

One thing that sort of bothers me in football movies is when every tackle is a "big hit". That gets on my nerves. Outside of that, I'm not sure what to think of the football action. Good at times, soso at others. There were a few (a scant few, perhaps) editing errors. Or weird decisions (like the kickoff, and then while it is going on we cut to Billy Bob on the sideline. Err. . .).

I liked the movie, though.
EngineNo9

Post by EngineNo9 »

Well I'd suggest if you like football and liked the movie at all you should maybe pick up the book. It's been years since I read it (at least 5 or 6) but I know the author actually spent the whole year in the town to write the book, so chances are it has all the details you want. I'm also pretty sure the town comes off a bit more "cultish" in the book than the movie even though I haven't seen the movie.