2024 Fundraising - $1192 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

The UK gets the New Battlestar Galactica series before us!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

CeeKay

The UK gets the New Battlestar Galactica series before us!

Post by CeeKay »

Lucky Brits, looks like they scooped us!

I'm hoping this doesn't effect the ratings the show gets when it airs on Sci-Fi, 'cause you can almost bet the new episodes will be bouncing around the net.
CeeKay has left the building. See him exclusively at Gaming Trend!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

First the gap-toothed limeys try to influence our elections and now this. I think we need to go over there and burn down their Parliment.

War of 1812! NEVER FORGET!!!
Odin

Post by Odin »

I'm in an unusual position with this show - one I don't think I've ever been in before. I fully expected to hate the mini-series. Edward James Olmos told me I would. He said that fans of the orginal 70's Battlestar Galactica shouldn't watch. I was a huge fan of the 70's version. I was a <10 year-old kid at the time and the cocky, veteran warriors were cool, the gleaming cylons with their roving red eyes were cool, the Battlestar Galactica was cool - I loved it all. I loved the tie-ins to ancient Earth cultures, I loved the nomen warriors with their laser-bolas, I loved Baltar the traitor. The episode where Apollo JUST MISSES receiving a broadcast from Earth of the Apollo 11 moon landing - that rocked. The episode where they find Kobol, and use Adama's brooch of office to open the crypt - that rocked! Caine and the whole Pegasus episode - rocked! Rick Springfield getting blown away in the first few minutes of the pilot episode... one of the colonial senators asks "What was that?" Adama replies, "That, senator, was my son." God that was cool! Sure it had some hokey storylines and goofiness, but I was young enough to overlook it easily and I enjoyed the show so much that I still can.

So add all that up, and I'm clearly on Olmos' list of people who WILL NOT LIKE THE NEW SHOW. Adama and Apollo hate each other? What?? Starbuck's a WOMAN? What?? They fire bullets instead of lasers? What? The cylons look like people? Double-what?? This is gonna suck!

Then I watched it, and I was totally blown away. In my opinion, it was some of the best-written sci-fi in years, right up there with Farscape and Stargate (which I realize I respect more than many). I've probably watched the 4-hour pilot movie upwards of 10 times now, and every time I just marvel at how much better it was than I expected it to be.

And that's the strange part, because I can't think of a single other time when I expected a show to totally suck and was pleasantly surprised when it didn't. Usually, I go in hoping a show will rock and come away disappointed because it was lame.

The fact that the UK gets it first doesn't really bother me - it just means that they'll have more episodes complete (and will hopefully air them for several consecutive weeks without a break) when they get to the US. It also means that the show gets some initial cash-flow that should help keep it viable from a financial perspective. I'm hugely excited about this series and I can't wait until January to watch it.

Sith
Byrns

Post by Byrns »

The mini series was pretty good, they just shouldn't have called it Battlestar Galactica....
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I'm just bothered because I'm impatient and want to see some eps. I also found the mini-series to be well written and was very satisfied with this break from the original Battlestar Galactica universe.

January will come soon enough I guess...

(still pissed about the English burning down our White House. But they did give us the Daleks so that's a plus)
Sherpa

Post by Sherpa »

siljanus wrote:I'm just bothered because I'm impatient and want to see some eps. I also found the mini-series to be well written and was very satisfied with this break from the original Battlestar Galactica universe.

January will come soon enough I guess...
If you can't wait, BitTorrent is your friend...
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Neener-neener! :lol: :twisted:
CeeKay

Post by CeeKay »

[quote="Sherpa]If you can't wait, BitTorrent is your friend...[/quote]

That's why I'm worried. People will watch the show using that and then when it finally airs in January no one watches it and it tanks in the ratings.

Actually hold on a sec, I could be wrong.... Sci-Fi would never cancel a quality show.....
CeeKay has left the building. See him exclusively at Gaming Trend!
Sherpa

Post by Sherpa »

CeeKay wrote: That's why I'm worried. People will watch the show using that and then when it finally airs in January no one watches it and it tanks in the ratings.
Maybe, but I don't think there's enough people out there to make that big a dent in its potential ratings -- even considering the (relatively) small number of the total TV audience that watches SciFi.
Head

Post by Head »

Is it me or didn't the music in the Battlestar Galatica teaser sounded like the music from Homeworld?

~Head
Elaine: Oh, hey, listen, by the way, have you seen a tall... lanky...
doofus, with a, with a bird-face and hair like the Bride of
Frankenstein?
Usher: Haven't seen him.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

This is NOT Battlestar Galactica.
sgoldj

Post by sgoldj »

I wonder if someone will update "Battlestar Gastonia -- Looking for a shining planet known as Mecklenburg"

Ok.. It worked if you were in Charlotte, NC in the late 70s- early 80s

I'll be quiet now. :oops:
Gedd
Technical Admin

Post by Gedd »

sgoldj wrote:I wonder if someone will update "Battlestar Gastonia -- Looking for a shining planet known as Mecklenburg"

Ok.. It worked if you were in Charlotte, NC in the late 70s- early 80s

I'll be quiet now. :oops:
Do tell. I've only been in Charlotte since around '97. :)