2024 Fundraising - $0 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

home internet connection, 2300 KB /S

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

is_dead

home internet connection, 2300 KB /S

Post by is_dead »

Is it just me or is my internet really fast? Downloading the 750 MB Half Life 2 Demo, and its taking about 3 minutes. Actually I'm connected to the university network, and traffic must be low since its close to Christmas. Still seems damn fast to me. Ok 90% done...
is_dead
CeeKay

Post by CeeKay »

I grabbed a 30 meg file in about 20 seconds the other night. Hit download, got up, walked to the fridge, grabbed a pop and walked back. It was done.

Of course if it's a university connection you may have a T1 or T3, plus with everyone gone, there's only one thing to do:

DOWNLOAD ALOT OF PRON!!!!

;)
CeeKay has left the building. See him exclusively at Gaming Trend!
Enough

Re: home internet connection, 2300 KB /S

Post by Enough »

is_dead wrote:Is it just me or is my internet really fast? Downloading the 750 MB Half Life 2 Demo, and its taking about 3 minutes. Actually I'm connected to the university network, and traffic must be low since its close to Christmas. Still seems damn fast to me. Ok 90% done...

Our university line I am on at work is supposed to be a 10mb line. I just ran the speed test at broadbandreports.com and it clocks 5382 down and 5191 up. Not too shabby. :D

At home on my brand-spanking new dsl line I'm getting around 1200 up, a major improvement from dial-up. :twisted:
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

I always thought my cable connection was fast, but I just came from broadbandreports.com, and I'm greatly disappointed:

689 down
224 up

Comparing that to you guys and others on that site just absolutely depresses me. I tried last night and again tonight with similar results. :(
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Either your speed depends on proximity to the test server, or I wasn't reading the numbers right (the abbreviations have always been very confusing to me).

Anyway, I tried some other test sites, and my numbers are suddenly looking very much better, and consistently.

From this site for instance, I get the following results:

Download = 3708 kbits/sec or 463 KBytes/sec
Upload = 239 kbits/sec or 30 KBytes/sec

It's these damn abbreviations: KB, Kb, kb, kbps, Kbps, KBytes, kbits, Mbps, and probably even more that mess me up to no end. Grrr.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd