new HD doesn't see modem...

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

MisterEd

new HD doesn't see modem...

Post by MisterEd »

question from a newbie... have patience please :wink:

i was experiencing various error messages and general weirdness on my computer which is running win98se...
i was thinking it was my HD ready to die a horrid death as it is 3 years old, so i took the opportunity to buy a new HD and install from scratch rather than clone or ghost as i suspect i have corrupt files on the old HD.

fdisk, format, and initial install of OS win98se went without a hitch, as did installing drivers for my graphics card and transferring files...
what hasn't gone right is that i have no sound (yes, installed drivers from original software disk) and the new HD does not see my modem :(

any ideas? i'm confused... thanks! :?
Rip

Re: new HD doesn't see modem...

Post by Rip »

MisterEd wrote:question from a newbie... have patience please :wink:

i was experiencing various error messages and general weirdness on my computer which is running win98se...
i was thinking it was my HD ready to die a horrid death as it is 3 years old, so i took the opportunity to buy a new HD and install from scratch rather than clone or ghost as i suspect i have corrupt files on the old HD.

fdisk, format, and initial install of OS win98se went without a hitch, as did installing drivers for my graphics card and transferring files...
what hasn't gone right is that i have no sound (yes, installed drivers from original software disk) and the new HD does not see my modem :(

any ideas? i'm confused... thanks! :?
You reinstalled 98? Have you looked under device manager? Are there any modems listed? Sound Cards? Any unknown devices? What kind of MB Modem? Sound card?
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Have you tried physically removing and replacing the sound card and modem from their slots? This has sometimes worked for me on the (rare) ocassion when Windows wouldn't detect something right away. Then when you boot up, hopefully it'll detect and prompt you for the driver disks.

Remove them both and install them one card at a time, shutting down between card installs. Sounds goofy I know. Also, try changing the slots around. i.e. put the cards in different (I'm assuming) PCI slots from the ones they are in now.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
MisterEd

Post by MisterEd »

thanks for the replies...

i took some time off and now i'm back troubleshooting again.
i'll let you know how i make out in the next day or two...

i really appreciate your input! :)