What Motherboard should I get? and RAM too?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

JR

What Motherboard should I get? and RAM too?

Post by JR »

I need to put together a systmem using an Intel® Pentium® 4 - 3.0E-GHz @ 800Mhz w/ 1Mb (Socket 478) processor I have on hand. I already have a Radeon 9700 pro (AGP - so no PCI express boards) and a 200gb hard drive.

What board recomendations do you have for me. I really don't want to spend too much, but would like something with pretty decent features. I don't believe overclocking is very important to this person, but some options would be nice.

Also what Ram would you recommend (and how much) ?

Anyway, thanks in advance for your responses.
SquireSCA

Post by SquireSCA »

RAM, is 512MB minimum, 1GB being preferable these days. Anything PC3200 or better will do fine, getting two sticks of the same stuff(2x256 or 2x512)

As for a mobo, I would suggest something along the lines of an MSI/Asus/Gigiabyte/Abit made, most likely a 865 chipset.

If you want the best bang for your buck, MSI or Gigabyte are hard to beat...
Rip

Post by Rip »

SquireSCA wrote:RAM, is 512MB minimum, 1GB being preferable these days. Anything PC3200 or better will do fine, getting two sticks of the same stuff(2x256 or 2x512)

As for a mobo, I would suggest something along the lines of an MSI/Asus/Gigiabyte/Abit made, most likely a 865 chipset.

If you want the best bang for your buck, MSI or Gigabyte are hard to beat...
See and I use mostly Asus and Abit, with an occasional Intel. Gigabyte rocks as well. I could just never get a liking for the MSI MB line. For some reason they remind me of Epox.
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--