My rig died

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

ChaoZ

My rig died

Post by ChaoZ »

Last night, while browsing the net, my beloved Qbic 3801A suddenly shut itself off. All atempts to repower it failed. Plugged in another power supply, same problem.

Removed all hardware except CPU, video and one stick of ram. Nothing.

Removed the 4 pin +12 V power connector, fans spun, no POST.

Took it to a local computer place, they ran it through some tests of their own: their conclusion: dead motherboard.

I bought this computer in September. It's the 250W model.
Here are/were my specs:

Athlon 64 3200+
1024MB DDR
128MB Radeon 9500 Pro
200GB SATA Seagate
200GB IDE Seagate
12X DVDR
ATI TV Wonder

All very regular components.

Anybody have any ideas?
Rip

Re: My rig died

Post by Rip »

ChaoZ wrote:Last night, while browsing the net, my beloved Qbic 3801A suddenly shut itself off. All atempts to repower it failed. Plugged in another power supply, same problem.

Removed all hardware except CPU, video and one stick of ram. Nothing.

Removed the 4 pin +12 V power connector, fans spun, no POST.

Took it to a local computer place, they ran it through some tests of their own: their conclusion: dead motherboard.

I bought this computer in September. It's the 250W model.
Here are/were my specs:

Athlon 64 3200+
1024MB DDR
128MB Radeon 9500 Pro
200GB SATA Seagate
200GB IDE Seagate
12X DVDR
ATI TV Wonder

All very regular components.

Anybody have any ideas?
Very likely it is the motherboard. Did the computer shop try installing new everything else and still did not post? That is the only way to be sure. Motherboards aren't real expensive right now.

edit: Oh almost forgot to mention, that seem a lot of stuff for a 250watt, if it is a standard pwr supply I would suggest a 350w at least.
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
ChaoZ

Post by ChaoZ »

250W came with the case, and is small, so a standard ATX would not fit.

Replacing the motherboard isn't as easy as it seems. Since this is a SFF rig, the layout is unique to the case. If I replace the motherboard, I would need to get a new case and motherboard. I guess I could do that, but I spent quite a lot on the case/MB.
Rip

Post by Rip »

ChaoZ wrote:250W came with the case, and is small, so a standard ATX would not fit.

Replacing the motherboard isn't as easy as it seems. Since this is a SFF rig, the layout is unique to the case. If I replace the motherboard, I would need to get a new case and motherboard. I guess I could do that, but I spent quite a lot on the case/MB.
Very good reason to stick with standard MB case sizes. Suck when your system is a few years old and you can only find replacement parts on ebay for more than the system cost. Still you could get a top notch MB and Case w/ PS for $250 or so. Just make sure all the other pieces are verified to still work correctly.
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

If you bought it in September, isn't still under warranty?
ChaoZ

Post by ChaoZ »

It should be.
I bought the parts though, and built it myself. The warranty will have to come from Soltek, and I think they're based in Taiwan :shock: