Games you keep coming back to

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

The original Doom.
Rise of The Triad.
Damage Incorporated.
The original Carmageddon.
The Thief games.
Frontier: Elite 2.
Crusader: No Remorse.
Vietnam: Black Ops 1.
Combat Flight Simulator 1.
MS Space Simulator.

All those are currently installed and played on various machines scattered around the house.

Also, I kind of dislike the SOF games, but still get a visceral kick out of working through them from time to time.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
BigBoneTone

Post by BigBoneTone »

Raug, I couldn't agree more, HOMM3 is the shizzle. It's funny, my bro and I recently had one of those "I wonder how many hours we've sunk into Homm" conversations (I'm proud\sad to say we've been in deep love of the series since 95) Don't have this conversation! The hours we've given to this series is straight out absurd...and yet there it sits as my most loved and returned to game. Newbies, believe the hype, find this game and love it now!

I'm also on my 2nd time thru Planescape and let me just say if you were wondering if it holds up, trust me; it does. Just reached Curst and loving life. Where are more games like this!!! Sorry, I'll save it for another thread.
"Only a jackass quotes himself" Big Bone Tone
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Hmm...

Pirates Gold, until it wouldn't work. I'm sure the the new Sid Meiers Pirates game will replace it.

Morrowind - always on but seldom played. I think I like to mess with the mods more than play the game. It's like my daughter's Barbie Doll or something - it more about dressing it up than roleplaying anything with it.

Freedom Force - never finished but often started. I really like it...when I'm actually playing it.

Unreal Tournament 2004 - Usually on, but I'm just not twitchy enough to be good at it. My nephews come over and give me a beating quarterly.

Tron 2.0 - I really like the style, I just haven't finished it yet.

Multiple replays to completion include Half-Life & expansions, NOLF 1&2, Fallout 1&2 and X-Wing Alliance, and KoTOR.

I will usually install several of the games above when I rebuild my machine - just so I can fool around with them a bit. I almost always get sucked back into playing at least one of them for awhile.
Beer Goggles

Post by Beer Goggles »

The first two Thief games because of fan missions.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

Mark, how come?
This game seems to have some bad reviews, but i'll check it out depending on what you say.

Other games I should include are the ones that are a pain in the ass to re-install and patch, so they stay on the HD and are played occasionally:

-Falcon 4.0
-Street Legal Racing: Redline
-Flight Simulator 04
-Battlecruiser games (shut up)
-C&C Generals
Name the 3 branches of the US Government: "Judicial, legislative....I can twerk"
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Zekester wrote:
Mark, how come?
This game seems to have some bad reviews, but i'll check it out depending on what you say.
I was in love with this game by the second level. Yep it got some middling-to-poor reviews, but it was a very fun game. I thought it was a LOT more fun than the SOF games which I was playing at the time also.

It had large levels that were very open, and the sniper rifle worked very smoothly and flawlessly. The scenery was good and did a nice job of making me feel like I was in Vietnam.

Its a budget title, so don't expect art, but I thought it was better done than many full-price games.

And Black Ops 2, the sequel, was done very nearly as well. I enjoyed that almost as much.

I've played the original twice through completely, and I have a friend who has played it through five or six times. It's his favorite game, though he doesn't game nearly as much as I do. Black Ops 1 & 2 are both short (about 10 to 12 levels each), but they are just plain fun.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
none

Post by none »

i seem to play through fallout, system shock 2 and jagged alliance 2 on a yearly basis.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

• System Shock 2
  • Thief Gold / Thief 2
  • UT/UT2004
  • Alpha Centauri
Atalante

Post by Atalante »

I'll play through Quest For Glory: So You Want To Be a Hero? on a yearly basis. I've no idea how many times I've solved it now, but it has a special place in my heart, even if I'm simply going through the motions.

Diablo 2 always seems to make a come back to. Which is a little strange, since I have a backlog of excellent RPG's just waiting to be played.

Total Annihilation never leaves my harddrive. I'll boot it up every few months, have a single battle, and then put it back into incubation.

I'll fire up X-Com once a year, but as soon as I get the upperhand I get bored and quit. Never finished the game. Funny that.
"Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?"