No disc All-stars

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

SuperHiro

No disc All-stars

Post by SuperHiro »

I've found that when a game requires no disc in the drive to play, I play it a lot more. Dominions II, AOW:SM, and esspeically ut2k4 get a whole lot of play time because of this.

Are there any other games that don't require a disc in the drive? Like ones released this year?

Half-life 2 counts.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I end up getting the nocd patch for everything so I don't need the cd in the drive. As to which games this year, not sure of any.
warning

Post by warning »

Wow I use Alcohol 120% and Daemon Tools for every game. I keep the cd's with the box on the shelf and never think about them again.

CD images are your friend.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

City of Heroes.

Joint Operations.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
RookieCAF

Post by RookieCAF »

I just discovered this about Joint Ops. I like it.

Usually its off to find the No-CD :(
~Rookie
My BF2 Stats
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

Alcohol 120% is what I use. Never have to worry about using a CD.
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

godhugh wrote:Alcohol 120% is what I use. Never have to worry about using a CD.
I'm sure hard drive manufacturers love it.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

:D

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

I forgot that AOW: SM was a no CD game. Now that I don't have internet access ( :( ) I have to use CDs all the time now. It's very depressing, but I have no alternative.

I think Alpha Centauri was a No-CD game, methinks. Not that it was this year, but I haven't bought any games from this year anyway. :P
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

Eel Snave wrote:I forgot that AOW: SM was a no CD game. Now that I don't have internet access ( :( ) I have to use CDs all the time now. It's very depressing, but I have no alternative.

I think Alpha Centauri was a No-CD game, methinks. Not that it was this year, but I haven't bought any games from this year anyway. :P
It was, god bless them.

Then, in one of the dumbest moves I've seen... the expansion pack took that feature away. IT BOGGLES THE MIND.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Many hard core die hard "no cd" fans will not upgrade to Civ 3 because it requires CD to play (Civ 2 did not).

Question: Don't some games freak out if they detect Alcohol 120% on your drive? I will definitely be buying this if not because I am a lazy ass bastage when it comes to browsing through my CD holder looking for a CD...to have them all on my drive...HJS drool....aggggggggghhhhhhlllllll....

I tried doing the no cd crack for Civ 3 because this is one of my fav laptop games, and there's nothing worse than looking around for a CD in the middle row on an airplane. Did not work very well, and I believe it broke some of the functionality.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i'm a somewhat recent convert to 'use them NOCD appliques on everything' - putting discs in the drive to play? that's soooo console. let us use the HD exclusively as God intended.
warning

Post by warning »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Question: Don't some games freak out if they detect Alcohol 120% on your drive?
I have never, ever had this problem. Others have. YMMV.
Zathras

Post by Zathras »

World of Warcraft hasn't asked for a disk since the install.
"What good is science if nobody gets hurt!"
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

What a timely thread.

I was home sick yesterday night and wanted to play a game but didn't feel like getting up and walking two feet to the shelf and getting a disk. So I browsed my hard drive looking for a game that didn't require a CD..

Gotic - No
Might & Magic - No
Wofenstein - No
Deus Ex 2 - No
Morrowwind - No
Simpsons - No

Spider Solitare- Yes
So that is what this sick lazy b#@tard played.
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

Never had a single game get pissy about Alcohol 120% and I have it running in the background constantly.
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
warning

Post by warning »

D.A.Lewis wrote:What a timely thread.

I was home sick yesterday night and wanted to play a game but didn't feel like getting up and walking two feet to the shelf and getting a disk. So I browsed my hard drive looking for a game that didn't require a CD..

Gotic - No
Gothic I didn't require the CD. Gothic II does.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hitbyambulance wrote:i'm a somewhat recent convert to 'use them NOCD appliques on everything' - putting discs in the drive to play? that's soooo console. let us use the HD exclusively as God intended.
I am too. For the longest time, I couldn't figure out the hype behind the NOCD patches - other than someone looking to Yellowbeard a game.

But sometime last year, as I moved closer to 30, I got super lazy. The idea of taking a CD out of my game library and putting it in my computer seemed barbaric and too much of an effort.

I find myself playing many more games now that I don't have to dig for a CD.

But games that don't require a CD at all after a normal install? Damn girl. Those games rule. I think the only two I have are UT2004 and City of Heroes. Well, as Superhiro mentioned, Half Life 2 (via Steam). Not having a CD for that was fantastic. :)
Maybe next year, maybe no go
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

warning wrote:
D.A.Lewis wrote:What a timely thread.

I was home sick yesterday
Gotic - No
Gothic I didn't require the CD. Gothic II does.
Your wright butt im still sic.
warning

Post by warning »

D.A.Lewis wrote:Your wright butt im still sic.
Your sickness is God's punishment for being WRONG!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote:
hitbyambulance wrote:i'm a somewhat recent convert to 'use them NOCD appliques on everything' - putting discs in the drive to play? that's soooo console. let us use the HD exclusively as God intended.
I am too. For the longest time, I couldn't figure out the hype behind the NOCD patches - other than someone looking to Yellowbeard a game.

But sometime last year, as I moved closer to 30, I got super lazy. The idea of taking a CD out of my game library and putting it in my computer seemed barbaric and too much of an effort.

I find myself playing many more games now that I don't have to dig for a CD.
I used to no CD a lot but I found it was just as much a pain to re-apply the "patch" with every game update and have to worry about managing executables. I decided that if a game wasn't worth getting up and finding the CD for, I probably should be doing something else anyway: another game, another hobby, maybe even get out of the house and grab a beer (this from someone now ever moving further from 30, so grain of salt and all that :wink: ).

MYT