My Suse 9.2 Pro review

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

SquireSCA

My Suse 9.2 Pro review

Post by SquireSCA »

I was asked to write a review for a Suse Linux forum and here is my rough draft. As some of you might know, Ihave tried Linux before and never stuck with it for various reasons.

That has recently changed.

"A newbie's take on Suse 9.2 Pro
By: D. Nixon

I have been an avid PC Enthusiast since the Commodore PET. I remembered the joy of typing, “load 'hangman',8,1 and waiting 4 minutes for my game to load on my C64. I remember my first PC, an ATT PC6300 complete with 640k RAM, twin 5.25” floppies and a kickin 20MB hard card. Man, those 4 color CGA graphics were and the mono Ad-Lib sound card were sweet.

Things have come a long way. We saw Amiga come and go, and that was one great system, way ahead of it's time. I purchased a Compaq 486 and later got a Pentium 60, both of them came with Windows 3.1 and 3.11FW respectively. That was my introduction to the GUI, and what has become my understanding of the computer world ever since. I went through probably 25 computers since then, all kinds of modded and overclocked rigs, installing and tweaking anything and everything that my paycheck(and mounting credit card balances) could accommodate. I considered myself an expert, and in many ways, I was.

But all of my experience with computers revolved around one environment; Windows.

Windows was more than an OS, it was the medium with which I interacted with my PC. I did not always know how to make my PC do something, but I knew what to tell Windows to do and it just happened... most of the time, anyway.

Around the late 1990's I was hearing about this “Linux thing”, and how it was free and was going to take out Windows and Bill Gates. I chalked it up to the rantings of some college kids who were too cheap to buy Windows and were probably anti-establishment cheeba-monkeys that just wanted to denounce the icon of capitalism that was Microsoft.

But after awhile, being the tinkerer that I am, I decided to try it out. The result? Disaster. I destroyed my partition and required an Fdisk, which of course I did not have a Win98 boot disk on hand, and it was a whole mess. I comforted myself by telling people what a ****py OS Linux was, and went on my way.

But I have a stubborn streak, and so I always came back to Linux as new versions came out. And each time, it was a little better, but it never worked out. It was too hard for me, the self-proclaimed “geek” and “computer expert”. And each time I grew more frustrated, claiming that “Linux is still not ready for prime-time”. I felt that it should just be more like Windows.

See, one cannot help comparing Linux to Windows. For the most part, Windows is “better”. It runs more software, it has superior driver support, and it is easier to use in most cases. But you trade that for less security, higher cost, and the lack of customization.

In any case, despite Linux's continued improvement, I was never able to get it working. I had tons of issues with my new hardware not being supported, and often there was no workaround. At one point, No Linux kernel at the time would even install with my Radeon 9700 Pro installed. Simply caused it to freeze at the first splash screen.
I would have issues where the SATA controller on my new motherboard's chipset was not compatable with the current Linux kernel. Other times, I would get Linux installed, but then the sound card was not compatable, or it took an act of Congress to get the ATI 3D drivers installed and configured. Nothing seemed simple. I wanted to just click SETUP.EXE and have it do what I wanted. I did not want to have to recompile my OS to get it to do what I felt was a common task.

My problem, is that I was thinking like a Windows user, and this ain't Windows.

So around the time of Mandrake 9.2, things were looking up, but I still had enough problems that I always went back to Windows. In Windows I could play all my games, run Photoshop, and not have to worry about driver support, playing CSS encrypted DVD's or whatever else I used my PC for.

Mandrake 10 Community was a giant leap forward, followed closely by Suse 9.1 Linux. Mandrake seemed to work better for me from a hardware point of view, but Suse looked much better and was easier to use. But both still felt short, not so much because of their own shortcomings, but mainly because of my ignorance and the lacking driver support from ATI and other hardware vendors. So once again, I wiped the drive and went back to WinXP Pro.

But I knew that things were about to reach the point where Linux became a viable option for people like me, we just had to be patient.

And then comes Suse 9.2 Professional. I read all the reviews and information I could find, because of all the distros I have tried over the years, Suse always impressed me the most. So I planned out my hardware to make sure it would work. I kept my year old i856 chipset board, and swapped out my Radeon 9800 Pro for a new Nvidia 6800GT.

And so I went to Fry's Electronics and plopped down $89 for Suse 9.2 Pro, making this the 4th copy of Suse that I have purchased. I took it home and added a 160GB drive just for Suse, keeping WinXP on an 80GB drive. I converted my 200GB drive to FAT32 to make it fully read/write compatible with both OS's, so that I could use it for storage.

I sat down and went through the simplistic and straight-forward install process, and within about an hour, I was logging in to my new OS.

Out of the box, Suse is way above anyone else, rivaling MacOSX for sheer eye-candy and layout. Everything was slick and well thought out. I easily used YAST to set up my Nvidia drivers, and to my astonishment they worked! I played some MP3 files without any issues! I could see and access all of my installed drives. I loaded up some Excel files from work and had no compatibility problems.

Now, I did have some issues installing some games and getting onto my Windows network, but they were all pretty simple once I just decided to sit down and research things, and talk to other Linux users.

And I just forced myself to stick with it. When I ran into a problem, I went to the forums and Google and worked my way through it. It took some time(about 4 days), but I know that if I had to wipe my HD and start over, I could get this rig back up and running in a fraction of the time.

I have a fairly high-end gaming rig, and right now, Suse is pretty much doing everything that I was able to do in WinXP Pro, with the exception of a small number of games and an application or two that I have yet to tinker with and get working.

I have several popular game titles like UT2003, UT2004, Doom3, Soldier of Fortune 2, Medal of Honor, Painkiller and others, all running 98% as fast as they did under Windows XP. This blew me away!

In general, it is as fast as WinXP, at least it feels that way. There is not a really god way for me to benchmark it and get an apples to apples comaprison.

The GUI is nicer than Windows. I had to purchase StyleXP and play around with Windows to reskin it and make it look almost as nice as Suse comes out of the box. I know that function matters more than eye-candy, but if I have to stare at this screen for so many hours a day, I want it to look nice!

Stability is rock solid, but to be honest, I always founf WinXP to be pretty solid. What I like is that I have more control over the system, and I don't have to bog it down with all sorts of firewalls and anti-virus software just to keep the system intact.

You get a variety of web browsers, including Firefox, which has to be the best browser on the market, all ready to go when you first log in.

I have just about any application that I could want, ranging from spreadsheets to music and video editors, to a Photoshop equivalant called GIMP 2.0.

Right now, where Linux falls a little short, is in the file and printer sharing area. In Windows you just click on Sharing and share this item and it does it. Not quite as easy here, SAMBA can be a pain to a Linux newbie, but once I figure it out, I am sure it will seem simple. And of course, a new version of SAMBA could easily make the process easier, it is only a matter of time.

Suse has done a great job of bridging the gap between Windows familiarity and the Linux platform. It is enough like Windows on the surface to allow someone to sit down and start using it right away. As you get further under the hood and the structural differences start popping up, the system is friendly enough that it doesn't scare you away. And as soon as you solve your first problem, you realize that it wasn't half as hard as you thought it would be, and that in turn gives you the confidence to tackle the next problem.

Linux is not for everyone. Wintel boxes are not for everyone. But for most people, they could use a Mac, or a Linux box or Windows XP. It is just a matter of taking the time to learn how to use it. Many people use Windows, and so most of them just stick with what they know.

I cannot say how impressed I am with Suse. Their product, their amazing documentation, and their growing on line community is making this a product that frankly, if I were Microsoft, I would be a little concerned about. With Novell pushing this into the mainstream, there is some serious muscle now backing Suse.

But I don't think that Suse or Linux in general has to topple Microsoft. I work for a Fortune 100 company doing sales, and I personally believe in the “abundance mentality”. I don't see the market as a finite resource and that you have to gobble everyone else up. There is plenty of business, and plenty of money for everyone to make, and I believe that that attitude leads to success more than any other.

Suse has an amazing product on their hands. For a basic user that just runs an older machine for word processing and internet access, Suse is ever bit as easy as WinXP, without all of the security holes and vulnerabilities that a basic user might not know how to handle. But that they can accommodate a user like me, with pretty high end hardware who wants to play the latest 3D games, this says that Suse has made phenomenal strides in the past year or two.

Their product is fast, friendly, and looks awesome, although you can certainly tweak it and customize it with ease should you desire to. You don't have to use the command prompt very often, as Suse has done a great job with YAST, their control center and update manager.

Let's not forget that with Suse, they throw in a ton of free software that would cost you hundreds or thousands of dollars if you were running Windows. Suse has a lot to offer just about anyone, and they do it with style.

I will leave you with this, and take it for what it's worth, as I am still a Linux newbie:

The biggest problem with migrating to Linux, is that you not only have to learn a new platform, you have to also break many years of the habits of a different platform, and that can at first seem daunting.

But the real truth, is that Linux is not harder to learn.

If you took two people that had never used a PC before and put one in front of Windows XP and one in front of Suse, the learning curve would be almost identical.

If Suse can work for me, it can work for almost anyone.

My current OS desktop:

D.Nixon "
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

With Novell pushing this into the mainstream, there is some serious muscle now backing Suse.
Novell is also pushing WordPerfect into the mainstream. :)

I didn't read the whole article, did you mention the atrocious wireless support? That would be important for the interest of completeness, to avoid looking like a linux fanboy.

Other than the wireless issue, and the confusing install where it looked like it was rebooting when it wasn't supposed to - I am impressed with SuSE. Everything on my laptop worked right out of the gate with the exception of the wireless adapter.

Of course, that meant I had to uninstall SuSE, but I was still impressed. :)
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
SquireSCA

Post by SquireSCA »

Well, Wireless netowrking might be a weak spot, although many people do have wireless networking funtioning with Linux, so YMMV.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

seriously, you could get Windows games running at 98% speed??!??!? holy...
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

SquireSCA wrote:Well, Wireless netowrking might be a weak spot, although many people do have wireless networking funtioning with Linux, so YMMV.
I understand, and since my expectations of Linux are low already, it's not that big a deal. But it was sort of nice to cram the PCI Wireless G adapter into my desktop, reboot and have it connect to my wireless LAN without any trouble at all.

To each his own. I'm sure the Linux world will get the wireless thing squared away, and when they do - the next technology will be giving it's fits. :)

Sorry, couldn't resist. BTW - CompUSA no longer sells the case cutter. They sell the window kit - without a case cutter. When I asked the help monkey about it, he said they no longer carry it. When I asked how I would install the window kit, without a case cutter - he just blinked at me and told me to buy it off the internet. That's fantastic service.
Make up bags of change
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

hitbyambulance wrote:seriously, you could get Windows games running at 98% speed??!??!? holy...
He came down every 8 seconds to announce that he got a new game working. While it became tedious, I'm not aware of any of the six games he has that don't work, so that's something. :)
Make up bags of change
SquireSCA

Post by SquireSCA »

hitbyambulance wrote:seriously, you could get Windows games running at 98% speed??!??!? holy...
Doom3 at 1280x1024 High Detail settings and 4xFSAA, 16xAniso filtering- 56fps.

What do you get in Windows? ;-)
SquireSCA

Post by SquireSCA »

RunningMn9 wrote:
He came down every 8 seconds to announce that he got a new game working. While it became tedious, I'm not aware of any of the six games he has that don't work, so that's something. :)
Doom3
RTCW
UT 2003
UT 2004
Painkiller
MOHAA
MOHAA: Spearhead
America's Army
Enemy Territory

That's all I have running so far. I will get more working as time permits. Oh, and Half Life 2 is fully supported by Linux/Cedega, which I have.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i'm reading up on Cedega right now... this is great!! i could switch to SuSE linux (my favorite distro) at this moment, if i wanted to, now. yaaaay

EDIT: tho it does cost $5 a month... hmm.
SquireSCA

Post by SquireSCA »

Well, I paid $30 for 6 months. I do not think that you have to pay to use it, like HL2, where it calls home to see if you have a subscription. The subscription just gives you the updates and new versions and stuff. If you allow it to expire, you can still use it and play your games, you just won't get new versions of the software.
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

Wait, there's a subscription fee for an OS now?!
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
SquireSCA

Post by SquireSCA »

godhugh wrote:Wait, there's a subscription fee for an OS now?!
No, not for the OS. Cedega is the new Wine project. They are really working overtime to bring Windows games to port over to Linux, and so they are charging for their software efforts these days. You can still download Wine for free, but if you want Cedega and the latest updates, you buy it like you would buy anything else.

Some people in the Linux community feel that this is wrong because they base everything on their desire to have free software, but I think that if they can charge a few bucks and use that money to really push forward with some of this stuff, that it will bring Linux forward into the maintsream, and that will be competition for Microsoft, which would be good for everyone.

I mean, I bought the professional version of Novell Suse Linux, but you can get tons of free distros, and most of them come with all of the free open-source applications and crap. Very few things incur a charge, depending on what you want.

Let's look at my former setup... WinXP Pro, Photoshop 7.0, Roxio6, StyleXP, MS Office XP, etc... Right there is like $1200 worth of software... Granted, I swiped most of it, but that is besides the point...

If you can get all of that and more for free, why not?
knob

Post by knob »

So how do you say SuSE?

I've always said "Sue-Z"
If I had a sig, would you read it?
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i've always pronounced it 'suess'
SquireSCA

Post by SquireSCA »

Well, RunningMn9 called and said that he plugged in his USB wireless adapter and Suse worked with it immediately. He just had to tell YAST what it was and it worked. So you can do wireless, it is just hit or miss as to whether the manufacturer releases drivers or the information needed for the open-source community to write their own...
Meghan

Post by Meghan »

so if I'm following you - you're playing windows version games adapted by the guys who make a windows emulator? So you don't need to to buy linux editions of games? Cool.

Do you have any links or book titles you'd recommend for a complete linux beginner?
If I ventured in the slipstream / between the viaducts of your dream

aka merneith, aka kylhwch
SquireSCA

Post by SquireSCA »

Cake or Death? Thank you for flying Church of England. ;-)

Let's see... many games for Windows run natively under Linux. Q3A, Doom3, RTCW, UT2003, UT2004 and others... All you do is copy files over from the CD or a Windows install directory, and run a script that install the game for you. Then you play it like any other.

SOme games like UT2003 and UT2004 have Linux install scripts right on the Windows CD.

Other games install through the emulator called Wine/Cedega, and that is petty simple to use.

If you want to play with Linux, my advice is to start with a bootable CDROM that let's you test-drive Linux without installing a single file to your desktop, it just runs off the CD, albeit a bit slower than a system would normally run. I suggest Knoppix, PCLinuxOS or Mepis-Live...

If you like what you see, then I would check out either Suse Linux or Mandrake. Both are easier to use, and Mandrake has the best hardware detection, although Suse is very good as well.

The thing to keep in mind, is that Linux is a great OS, but it is a Windows alternative, it is not Windows. THere are some major differences, and you have to be patient and learn it, just as you learned Win95 or whatever the first time...

I check this page daily for upcoming Linux releases:

www.distrowatch.com
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'm a pretty big Linux fanboy but the wireless support is what I think is one of Linux's huge problems, and no one in the linux community seems to care. Most of the Linux support is for one chipset and getting WPA or any form of modern security scheme working is nightmarish. In fact, we gave up on it at work and installed the Cisco Linux VPN client(which btw is brilliant) to secure the connection.

The one user who's using it(our Unix guy) claims that it is rock solid wireless with the built in minipci in the Dell Inspiron 8500. He sits 30 feet or so from a radio, so if it didn't work it would be pathetic. ;)

All in all, I'm a big fedora fan right now. I just installed Fedora Core 3 this weekend on my secondary file server at home and got Samba and LDAP running in no time. It's gorgeous and functional right out of the box. Plus, I was able to set up software raid bootable right out of the box and set up LVM without a hitch. I've had problems with the SuSE installer getting bootable raid going out of the box. We ordered 9.2 at work(but CDW sucks balls and we haven't received it in any reasonably normal timeframe) so I'll probably throw it onto one of my test machines to see if they fixed that whenever we do receive it.

I terribly want to redo my primary, but it's my also my mailstore and I just don't want to deal with a mail migration so it'll probably be the same for 5 years. :D
malchior

Post by malchior »

Valael wrote:So how do you say SuSE?

I've always said "Sue-Z"
I heard an audio file of it from a German once. He pronounced it "Sue-Sah".
Crazy Germans. ;)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote:
Valael wrote:So how do you say SuSE?

I've always said "Sue-Z"
I heard an audio file of it from a German once. He pronounced it "Sue-Sah".
Crazy Germans. ;)
It's soo-see.

I've always kept a Mandrake (10.XX right now) box and I'm thinking about moving my laptop from XP to Linux. I might have to take a look at Suse. All my Linux friends swear by Gentoo but I am certainly not 1337.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

As Squire said, getting the Microsoft MN-510 USB adapter working was a snap, and didn't require me to pay for DriverLoader (which is what I had to do to get the TrueMobile 1300 to load). There will still be some hiccups getting it on my desktop (nVidia seems to be a lot easier to get running than ATI - my laptop has nVidia and my desktop ATI). But I expect that after a little work, my desktop will be up and running just fine.

I had actually forgotten that one of my best friends works for Agere (formerly Orinoco) and his job is to write wireless drivers for Linux. I should have just made him get everything working. :)

Anyway, I talked to him, and he alleges that if wireless is a necessity, Fedora is the way to go. He claims they have the best wireless support today.

I would have gone with FC3, if I could download the DVD ISO, but I can't get any of the mirrors to let me download it.
Make up bags of change
RookieCAF

Post by RookieCAF »

Hmmmm. Interesting.......
~Rookie
My BF2 Stats
Meghan

Post by Meghan »

thanks for the link, Squire. Actually a bootable cd sounds like a good plan. I've been meaning to play the Linux Game for a while but I've never wanted to commit to it up front.
If I ventured in the slipstream / between the viaducts of your dream

aka merneith, aka kylhwch
SquireSCA

Post by SquireSCA »

RunningMn9 wrote:As Squire said, getting the Microsoft MN-510 USB adapter working was a snap, and didn't require me to pay for DriverLoader (which is what I had to do to get the TrueMobile 1300 to load). There will still be some hiccups getting it on my desktop (nVidia seems to be a lot easier to get running than ATI - my laptop has nVidia and my desktop ATI). But I expect that after a little work, my desktop will be up and running just fine.

I had actually forgotten that one of my best friends works for Agere (formerly Orinoco) and his job is to write wireless drivers for Linux. I should have just made him get everything working. :)

Anyway, I talked to him, and he alleges that if wireless is a necessity, Fedora is the way to go. He claims they have the best wireless support today.

I would have gone with FC3, if I could download the DVD ISO, but I can't get any of the mirrors to let me download it.
Gonna have to wait for the ATI stuff, as ATI has not released any drivers that work with Suse 9.2, as they switched from XFree86 to XOrg...

But this is notLinux's fault. It's ATI's. ATI has never written a single decent 3D drivers.

They took some driver from some guys in Germany that wrote their own FireGL Linux driver, and ATI took it and modded it slightly so that it could install to the R9500/9600/9700/9800 line of cards. The result is a pain in the ass install routine that has gotten little better, and even when you get it working, your Radeon 9800XT under Linux will only be as fast as a Geforce3 is under Windows... ATI has yet to devote more than the barest token of effort towards Linux support.

NVidia has kickass drivers, and that is why I ditched my R9800 Pro and went back to NVidia...
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

It appears that I spoke too soon. The installer hangs on my desktop due to some issue with the serial ATA controller. I guess it won't just easily install on my desktop either.

Linux is my favorite operating system in the whole world. :)
Make up bags of change
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

What are the minimum specs for 9.2?
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

EvilHomer3k wrote:What are the minimum specs for 9.2?
Processor: Pentium 1-4, AMD: Duron, Athlon, Athlon XP, Athlon MP or Athlon 64

RAM: At least 128MB

Hard Drive: At least 500MB, Recommend 2.5GB

That's all they list, although they say you can check www.novell.com/usersupport/hardware for a complete list.
Make up bags of change
is_dead

Post by is_dead »

Search for god and replace it with good. Other than that, thanks for the excellent perspective, you have made me very interested in Suse!
is_dead
SquireSCA

Post by SquireSCA »

is_dead wrote:Search for god and replace it with good. Other than that, thanks for the excellent perspective, you have made me very interested in Suse!
It is a nice OS. In some ways. Windows is still better, but Linux is now good enough that if you want to learn something new, it is certainly worth your while...
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I got SUSE installed, but I can't turn on my USB HD without locking it up. That's not cool.
Make up bags of change
qp

Post by qp »

RunningMn9 wrote:I got SUSE installed, but I can't turn on my USB HD without locking it up. That's not cool.
Weird, even with Knoppix I could connect a USB drive (USB key - but should be the same as far as the computer is concerned right?) no problem.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Sounds like the perfect OS for folks who like to deal with all kinds of niggling hardware crap. (In other words, not yet for me.)

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
RookieCAF

Post by RookieCAF »

Aw Shucks, No ATi Driver support means I stay with Microsloth.
~Rookie
My BF2 Stats
SquireSCA

Post by SquireSCA »

RookieCAF wrote:Aw Shucks, No ATi Driver support means I stay with Microsloth.
Well, that is not Linux's fault, I found that out the hard way when I had ATI cards... ATI simply refuses to devote any resources to Linux.

Here is something cool I had to deal with today...

I ran YAST to update any patches and crap... One of them was a kernel update. YAST pulls the stuff directly from Suse, so I figure it is safe. I run it and reboot, and I am dumped at a command shell, the GUI will not load. The kernel patch borked my video driver module. So I am pissed, and I cannot fix it, so I boot into WinXP... Now that I am used to Suse, WinXP looks like ass, so I plunk down fitty bux for Object Desktop and Windowblinds and all that... I install it, and Media Player stops working.... LOL

It takes like 60 seconds to load a 5mb file. I figure that one of the controls or skins from Windowblinds hosed something... So I update to media player 10.

That refuses to run at all. Nothing I could do would make it run, it just said it there was an internal error and it drops out, every time. Could not roll back either... I tried everything, and reinstalling it had no effect, Uninstalling Windowblinds made no difference. Something was jacked good.

So I reinstall WinXP, formatting the drive, leaving my Linux drive and storage drive alone. I get into WinXP, do all my updates, instaling and configuring, set up Windowblinds and Y'z Dock and it looks brilliant.

On a whim I figure I should try to fix my Linux install, but when I installed WinXP it overwrote the boot sector and crap... So I boot with the Suse intstall DVD. It has a boot loader and it gets me into the command console... I try to navigate around to find the NVidia driver I downloaded last week, but I cannot locate the mount points... So I am just sitting there, looking at the instructions to install the NVidia drivers... I see that step 1 is to run the installer script, and step 2 is to run the "sax2" config tool. I try to run sax2, no good. No matter what I do, I cannot start the X server.

So instead of typing 'sax2 -m 0=nvidia' I type 'sax2 -m 0=VESA' and lo and behold, the tool loads up, resets my video card for generic VGA, and tests the settings for me prior to saving them to the x86Config file.

Schweeet!

It exits and I type 'startx' and the damned thing loads into my desktop. I run YAST to reinstall the boot loader(GRUB)., and then all I had to do was drop to a console and do the two steps to reinstall the NVidia driver under this newly patched kernel.

Bottom line, was that I was not able to fix the WinXP problem without a reinstall, and it took me about 3 hours to install it, get it all patched, install my normal apps(no games though), and all the rebooting, etc...

To fix the Suse problem, about 20 minutes. And now that I know how to get back into the GUI, if you bork your video drivers, make it about 5 minutes.

So remember that folks. If you are running Suse and screw up something and your x server will not reload due to the NVidia module failing to load, just log into the console as root and type:

sax2 -m 0=VESA

It will load, then set the video card to generic VESA, and then set your monitor and resolution, test it, save it, restart your X server.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

SquireSCA wrote:Bottom line, was that I was not able to fix the WinXP problem without a reinstall, and it took me about 3 hours to install it, get it all patched, install my normal apps(no games though), and all the rebooting, etc...
Well, let's be honest and at least point out that no one knows that your problem required a reinstall of the operating system. You might just be stupid.

Especially if you think it was Windowblinds that borked WMP. If I had to guess, it was ObjectMedia, and it was probably correctable without your drastic countermeasures.
Make up bags of change
SquireSCA

Post by SquireSCA »

RunningMn9 wrote:
SquireSCA wrote:Bottom line, was that I was not able to fix the WinXP problem without a reinstall, and it took me about 3 hours to install it, get it all patched, install my normal apps(no games though), and all the rebooting, etc...
Well, let's be honest and at least point out that no one knows that your problem required a reinstall of the operating system. You might just be stupid.

Especially if you think it was Windowblinds that borked WMP. If I had to guess, it was ObjectMedia, and it was probably correctable without your drastic countermeasures.
Well, it hosed it, and my non-drastic measure was to install the newer media player. I did that, and that was where it shit the bed. THen it stopped working altogether, even though I uninstalled the app... I could not roll it back either...
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

SquireSCA wrote:Well, it hosed it, and my non-drastic measure was to install the newer media player. I did that, and that was where it shit the bed. THen it stopped working altogether, even though I uninstalled the app... I could not roll it back either...
Well, I am confused by your explanation because you simply said that you uninstalled Windowblinds, which wouldn't be expected to have any effect. If you uninstalled all of Stardock's apps, then that's a different story, although I'm sure a reinstall of the OS wasn't necessary.

Especially considering that you shouldn't be running WMP anyway. :)
Make up bags of change
SquireSCA

Post by SquireSCA »

RunningMn9 wrote:
SquireSCA wrote:Well, it hosed it, and my non-drastic measure was to install the newer media player. I did that, and that was where it shit the bed. THen it stopped working altogether, even though I uninstalled the app... I could not roll it back either...
Well, I am confused by your explanation because you simply said that you uninstalled Windowblinds, which wouldn't be expected to have any effect. If you uninstalled all of Stardock's apps, then that's a different story, although I'm sure a reinstall of the OS wasn't necessary.

Especially considering that you shouldn't be running WMP anyway. :)
And how else am I supposed to whack my apple-bag to 70gb of pr0n, without WMP?
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

SquireSCA wrote:And how else am I supposed to whack my apple-bag to 70gb of pr0n, without WMP?
If you need to whack your bag to computer porn, you can use one of the nearly infinite number of media players that are better than WMP.

Like Winamp.
Make up bags of change
SquireSCA

Post by SquireSCA »

The problem was that it wasn't working and I could not fix it, and so installing another player when there is clearly an issue was not acceptable to me.

I deserve the best.

In any case, this was not a dig at WinXP so much as it was just easier to actually FIX these particular problems in my Suse install. I was sharing my experience, that's all.