[Phantom watch]Infinium labs running out of money

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

SuperHiro

[Phantom watch]Infinium labs running out of money

Post by SuperHiro »

Like a hooker with dysentery

I've always been morbidly curious with Infinium Labs. But really, Penny Arcade owns them so bad that anything I say just seems weak.
Eco-Logic

Post by Eco-Logic »

They had a pretty cool booth at E3 so I'm kinda shocked they keep having so much trouble.

Actually, I'm not shocked, but their booth was cool and I have a shirt to prove it :wink:
Greggy_D

Post by Greggy_D »

Big f-ing surprise there. :roll:

It's beyond me how they burned through 30 mil already.
"Whoaaaaaa man. You're totally covered in glass salad." .....Smooth B's stoned neighbor
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

You name your console Phantom and expect people to believe it's more than vaporware? This one was doomed from the start.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

The only problem is that while the company is running out of money, the people who control the company will be just fine and dandy should everything go downhill.

There's a serious lack of accountability in these schemes.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Turtle wrote:
Schemes don't use accountability, they use plausibility to con investors. If they were smart enough to hold these people accountable, this travesty never would have gotten as far as it did.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jag wrote:
Turtle wrote:
Schemes don't use accountability, they use plausibility to con investors. If they were smart enough to hold these people accountable, this travesty never would have gotten as far as it did.
It's not like the terms aren't weighted heavily for investors when they approach a shaky deal like this one. The get a more disproportionate ROI than if it were a more stable looking shceme. It's all gambling. Do you take the 2:1 favorite or go for broke with the 23:1 longshot?

EDIT: Unfortunately for the investors in this one, it looks like they bet on a scratch. Tsk. Tsk.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
jpinard

Post by jpinard »

The CEO of the company "Tim Roberts" is really good at paying himself millions of dollars while building a company destined for bankruptcy. My question is, "What will he try and sell next, and how many stupid people will invest in that next pile of crap"?
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Careful or a cease-and-desist letter may come your way! :D

Seriously, the whole idea of delivering games over broadband is a joke. Games are approaching GIGABYTES in size, even console games (heck, why do you think they're on DVD's?) and even through DSL or Cable we're talking about HOURS of download time. Unless you're talking about some sort of streaming or dual-CPU approach where one CPU handles gaming while the other handles downloads or something, the whole concept is doomed from the start. There just ain't enough bandwidth.
Greggy_D

Post by Greggy_D »

Unless you pre-load like HL2. :wink:
"Whoaaaaaa man. You're totally covered in glass salad." .....Smooth B's stoned neighbor
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Avast! Do not be foolhardy enough to evenge yourself upon the Dread Pirate Roberts. Aarrgh.

So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

The only thing that's going to be a "phantom" is all the money that his invenstor's put into this pile of dung that they won't be seeing a return on.

Phantom indeed!
:lol: