HL2 vs Doom3

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Montag

HL2 vs Doom3

Post by Montag »

The bloody confrontation is inevitable.

After finally starting Half-Life 2, I feel I am qualified to make a call.

HL2 - Great graphics, intriguing story. Steam worked fine for me, I have the retail DVD version. If you had difficulties, my SEP field is up and is holding strong. Only negative so far is the long load times.

Doom3 - my punk ass 1GHz system has no chance in heaven, hell, or earth to even run it. (ATI 9500 Pro video card.)

Half Life 2 is wInnar!
Eco-Logic

Post by Eco-Logic »

I said it once and will say it again. They shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath.

Doom 3 sucked and HL2 is pushing the best game I've ever played.

HL 2:

Doom 3:
Kyosho

Post by Kyosho »

Is it O's turn or X's turn? This could get interesting. :P
Greggy_D

Post by Greggy_D »

Come on now Eco......look at the character models in this Doom3 screenshot......absolutely amazing! :wink:

"Whoaaaaaa man. You're totally covered in glass salad." .....Smooth B's stoned neighbor
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

Nice one Greggy. :)

I only played the Doom 3 demo. It seemed okay. HL2 is a different league as far as I can tell. Graphically, dunno. I like the art better in HL2, it looks better to me, but enginewise perhaps Doom 3 is better. Lighting in Thief 3 beats 'em both IMO...
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Topics about multiple gaming titles belong in PC Gaming in General.

Moving...

~Neal
Jancelot

Post by Jancelot »

I found Doom 3 to be an average shooter with amazing graphics and good atmosphere. I had fun with it. I'm curious to see if they address the common complaints in the expansion. More so I'm anxious to see what devs like Raven will do with it.

HL2, however, is a monument to great games. While the world is slightly less detailed than Doom 3, the trade-off is that we get massive outdoor environments and fluid frame rates. A choice I'll take every time. Everything about it just festers with quality. I'm nearing the end and I'm already planning on playing through it again on the hardest difficulty. I don't play many games more than once, and certainly not right away.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

It seems more like a design choice than an engine issue.

Check out this thread which applies HL textures and decent lighting to a Doom 3 map.

It's a pro-Doom site, but clearly the HL2 textures are far superior--and make Doom3 look great.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Jancelot wrote:I found Doom 3 to be an average shooter with amazing graphics and good atmosphere. I had fun with it. I'm curious to see if they address the common complaints in the expansion. More so I'm anxious to see what devs like Raven will do with it.

HL2, however, is a monument to great games. While the world is slightly less detailed than Doom 3, the trade-off is that we get massive outdoor environments and fluid frame rates. A choice I'll take every time. Everything about it just festers with quality. I'm nearing the end and I'm already planning on playing through it again on the hardest difficulty. I don't play many games more than once, and certainly not right away.
What he said. Both were good. Both were better than the average 'off the shelf' shooter. I had fun with both. Half-Life 2 is a bit better, though.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

HL2 requires an internet connection to even run!

Doom3 THE WINNER!!!!11!!!1

:D
Name the 3 branches of the US Government: "Judicial, legislative....I can twerk"
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

I am playing through Route Kanal and Water Hazard again and really admiring the textures & reflective water. I think the low-polygon strategy of HL2 catches up with it in a few areas, but there are definitely stretches where it looks as good as any graphics I have seen in a videogame. Other contenders would be Doom 3, Pirates of the Caribbean (I just drool at the moonlight reflecting off the sea waves...), Imperium Galactica 3/Nexus demo, and Thief Deadly Shadows (pity about the so-so character models, lousy animation and fuzzy textures; but the lighting is unreal and at moments it looks like a Rembrandt painting come to life).
knob

Post by knob »

Doom 3 was good. I mean, it was simple as hell, very repetitive, but it still did a good job at creating the atmosphere and making me shit my pants for the first few hours (Then it just became predictable).

But HL2 absolutely blows it out of the water. There's no comparison.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
AttAdude

Post by AttAdude »

For those of us that got more than a black screen. (i still dont understand how that worked so well for me, but not others.) Doom3 was an excelent game. personaly i think they are about the same, both brilliant game and better than most of the trip that came out in the last 2 years.
AttAdude
When confronted with offensive TV, the fundamental differences between the Conservative and liberal factions becomes blatantly obvious. Conservatives will piss and moan, then file a complaint with the FCC in an attempt to make sure the offending show is never seen by anyone. Liberals... well we just change the damn channel.
msurby

Post by msurby »

Both games are good, but, while Doom3 took one gimmick and repeated it ad nauseum, Half Life 2 has ever changing gimmicks and devotes a section of the game to each of them. This leads to much more interest and a greater desire to see what will happen next. Both games are very cinematic but HL2 was just more interesting.
A candy-coated clown they call the Sandman...
Raven_13

Post by Raven_13 »

I'm a completist and a huge FPS fan...there are very few FPS games I have never finished. Having said that, I just don't know where I'm going to find the motivation to finish Doom3. For me, it went from very cool to cool to 'meh' to boring to tedious in less than 2 or 3 hours. I want to like it, but I just don't see it getting better for me.

HL2? I hope it never ends. :wink:
"Profanity is the one language that all programmers understand." - Anonymous
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Haven't gotten to the "Hell" level yet in Doom 3 but have no desire to finish the game either. It's been sitting on the hard drive unplayed for months. Half Life 2 on the other hand was recently purchased and I've played almost every night. Without spoilers, I just finished some really fun urban combat levels and I'm really enjoying the variety of settings, the storyline, etc.

So if you haven't guessed, HL2 wins out for me. And the way everyone is in awe when Gordon Freeman walks into a room, he's bound to get laid or something. :wink:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

Sure Doom 3 had atmosphere. Darkness! With lots of ZOMBIE CLOSETS. And no way to fire a weapon with a flashlight in your hands. Sure the graphics were pretty, but only when you actually had light to see them, and the gameplay was really, really simplistic, repetitive PDA downloads or not, it fell flat. I have yet to finish it.

HL2 DROVE you. It gave you a reason to continue, looked great, ran great (without being freakin dark mind you) and gave you more to do than "Run into room, look for Zombie coming out of a hidden closet, shoot it, continue." It put you into the suit, so to speak, and let you interact, make judgements, loath those trying to harm you, whereas D3 was more of a "oh here's another room, where is the goddamn zombie?" HL2 has soul. (No pun intended)

HL2 is the far superior game. Doom 3 deserves no such mention other than the fact it was released the same year as HL2.

HL2 pwns Doom 3 hands down.
Ronin

"The Die is Cast"
-Gauis Julius Caesar prior to crossing the Rubicon River against Rome 49 BC
Windows95

Post by Windows95 »

Wait, you guys need to give Doom3 a chance! Wait until you hear about this amazing new weapon that the soon to be released expansion pack will have:
The Grabber: The Ionized Plasma Levitation gun, or, more commonly, the Grabber, makes excellent use of the physics engine in Doom 3. This tool allows you to hold and launch just about any imaginable object in the game. See a box, target it, use it as a shield, and then launch it at the demons as a weapon. It introduces a whole new mechanic to the game.
- Computer Gaming World Holiday 2004 Issue

Wow! That sounds so cool though strangely familiar...hmm.
Napoleon

Post by Napoleon »

I HATED Doom 3. The completely annoying "Spawn an enemy behind you in an area you just cleared" scare tactic got on my nerves after the third time it happened. HL2 has stuff like that as well sometimes, but it's never as prevalent as it is in Doom 3. I literally got annoyed when playing Doom 3. That can never be good.

HL2 on the other hand, I totally love. Diverse, fun gameplay. Nice wideopen maps, and it looks WAY better graphically.

Yay to Half Life 2!
Where Cows Congregate - The Bovine Conspiracy
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Greggy_D wrote:Come on now Eco......look at the character models in this Doom3 screenshot......absolutely amazing! :wink:
That is one of the funniest posts I've ever seen. I played Doom3 for about 15 minutes, and I stopped when my screen went black and I started dying.

HL2 is the best game I've ever played, and supplants "Rainbow Six" as my favorite game of all time.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Chris Nahr

Post by Chris Nahr »

I'd just like to mention that HL2 does have monster closets. I just found one in Ravenholm.

Overall, HL2 is superior but if you like shooters you should play both, eventually. Doom 3 does nothing out of the ordinary as far as gameplay and level design is concerened, but it does it perfectly.

The fashionable Doom 3 hatred on the Intarweb is really unwarranted...
Greggy_D

Post by Greggy_D »

My hatred stems from dropping 50 bucks on sheer boredom and a game that follows the "wash, rinse, repeat" mindset. I've had more fun in the dark while sleeping.
"Whoaaaaaa man. You're totally covered in glass salad." .....Smooth B's stoned neighbor
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Zekester wrote:HL2 requires an internet connection to even run!

Doom3 THE WINNER!!!!11!!!1

:D
werd.

Zeke you do realize that by posting in here we're just begging to have our asses chewed.

BUT I'll likely still break down and buy the damn thing (HL2) even if it turns out to be a $50 one-year rental just because I think it will turn out to be worth it.

The parts for my first WinXP PC are on the way!
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

I got a kick out of people having this argument pre-release. They would always have some reason for Doom 3 being better, and I would just laugh the laugh of a man who knows he is correct. They would talk of how great the graphics are in Doom 3, but never the gameplay, whereas HL2 would have great gameplay, and, oh yeah, great graphics.

Gameplay > Graphics
I'll take it any day.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
JayG

Post by JayG »

Who cares. Play the one you enjoy best. Hulk vs. Thing, that's important.