Steam bans 20000 accounts.

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

UsulofDoom

Steam bans 20000 accounts.

Post by UsulofDoom »

Waldo
Valve N

If you know what 5J52E-FVKXV-882FQ-YJXRQ-DOD98 is for...
...and tried it, please try and refrain from being too upset in your posts.

If you don't know what it was for, it was part of a way to steal HL2 which doesn't work anymore.

If you've got questions about your disabled account, please read the support FAQ My Account is Disabled, Why? for further information.
http://www.steampowered.com/forums/show ... genumber=1
Kraegor

Post by Kraegor »

guess you forgot to add the "illegal" before accounts :)
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

As Steam is not a game (although it is gaming-related), I'm going to move this over to PC Gaming in General.

~Neal
RookieCAF

Post by RookieCAF »

:doh:
~Rookie
My BF2 Stats
jonsauce

Post by jonsauce »

This is good news indeed :)
Now Playing:

WoW (PC)
LotRO (PC)
GH2 (360)
knob

Post by knob »

This sort of stuff always freaks me out and makes me check my account. I didn't know anything about how to steal it, but accidental bannings do happen. I'm paranoid like that.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Question: Aren't the pirates using cracks to avoid Steam altogether?

What steam accounts are being banned, precisely? I can't believe that there were 20,000 accounts that were hacked to illegally gain HL2 access... Hmm.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

According to the post, certain accounts were banned because the owner attempted to register a single specific CD key. That key was apparently part of instructions on how to get Steam to give out HL2 for free.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
TheMissingLink

Post by TheMissingLink »

I like it :D
Member of the GG UT2k4 9000 Frag Club
Member of the GG UT2k4 Triple Digit Suicide Club
TheMissingLink on PSN
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Did Valve release the bogus key themselves to snag people dumb enough to try it? Doh! :o
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Terrified

Post by Terrified »

Freezer-TPF- wrote:Did Valve release the bogus key themselves to snag people dumb enough to try it? Doh! :o
That's the rumor...
jonsauce

Post by jonsauce »

Did Valve release the bogus key themselves to snag people dumb enough to try it? Doh!
Waldo specifially says that Valve did not release any sort of warez versions or CD Keys to catch people.
Now Playing:

WoW (PC)
LotRO (PC)
GH2 (360)
Mithridates

Post by Mithridates »

Here's a quote from someone who got busted(quote was in a news article at Evil Avatar):
on my account i had over 200 dollars worth of legit software. in the consumer world they cant just take it away form u. its like stealing. think about it ppl. vavle should have emailed me and warned i would get banned if i crossed the line or sumthin im sure anyone would stop what they are doing at the time. but no they just decied to take my account. doesnt to them 200 bucks is like 5 cents for them.
I can't describe how funny this is to me. Oh the irony. :)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

They wouldn't need to. From the looks of things, they have someone at the company dedicated to searching the internet, finding the best, most popular ways of stealing their game, and then reverse-engineering the cracks.
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

I just finished browsing the Steam forums and it's hilarious. Soo many people crying about how they're now banned.

Good stuff, this is how a company should combat piracy.
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
jonsauce

Post by jonsauce »

Here's a quote from someone who got busted(quote was in a news article at Evil Avatar):

Quote:
on my account i had over 200 dollars worth of legit software. in the consumer world they cant just take it away form u. its like stealing. think about it ppl. vavle should have emailed me and warned i would get banned if i crossed the line or sumthin im sure anyone would stop what they are doing at the time. but no they just decied to take my account. doesnt to them 200 bucks is like 5 cents for them.

I can't describe how funny this is to me. Oh the irony.
Later on this guy went to say he felt like a victim. I wish I could thank him in person for bringing joy to my life...watching him flop around like a fish out of water :) He changed the story of what happened each time he made a new post, it was awesome.
Now Playing:

WoW (PC)
LotRO (PC)
GH2 (360)
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

godhugh wrote:I just finished browsing the Steam forums and it's hilarious. Soo many people crying about how they're now banned.

By intentionally misleading the public?
Eco-Logic

Post by Eco-Logic »

Dirt wrote:
godhugh wrote:I just finished browsing the Steam forums and it's hilarious. Soo many people crying about how they're now banned.

How did they do that?
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

Dirt wrote:

Echoing Eco-Logic, how was anyone misled?
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

You'd have to be pretty stupid to attempt to used a CD key that was released on the internet (EDIT: For a game activated by Steam). Obviously they would check for multiple instances of the key, even if it was some "magic key" that allowed simultaneous play.

Normally I'd be wary of legit users getting screwed by this, but I don't see how they could botch it and ban legit users (ie, those that never tried to get free HL2 play with that key).
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
knob

Post by knob »

I also don't see how they mislead the public.

And I can't believe the guy from the quote had the balls to say Valve was stealing from him because they banned his account. Welcome to a lesson learned -- You stole from them, they "stole" from you.

And what, exactly, did he have on his account that equaled up to $200 in software if he didn't even pay for HL2?
If I had a sig, would you read it?
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

Well I see a big problem here. This means you cant buy from Ebay or trade the game to someone else to use.

Just think you get one from ebay only when you try the key your account gets banned. Not just HL2 but now your HL and CS and all other games you paid for are done.

Ther should be a way you can check a validation of a key before use it and a way to take keys off your account.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Valael wrote:I also don't see how they mislead the public.

And I can't believe the guy from the quote had the balls to say Valve was stealing from him because they banned his account. Welcome to a lesson learned -- You stole from them, they "stole" from you.

And what, exactly, did he have on his account that equaled up to $200 in software if he didn't even pay for HL2?
It's even simpler than that. He violated the TOS, they cancelled his account. As outlined in the TOS. Done.

I imagine if he had HL, OpFor, CS:CZ, and any other purchased game it could add up to $200 at retail prices. But IIRC none of them were sold through steam, were they? He would still have the discs. He could still play them, although not online.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

its like stealing
As others have said , the irony is delicious :)

Grifman
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

I actually tried to figure out the $200 figure. Because I'm a huge dork.

Assuming he bought everything first day at full retail price (if he bought them at all)

HL- $50
Exp's - $60 at most
CS:CZ- $50 at most

That's still $40 short. I'm thinking he's including CS and/or DoD retail. Which makes him the dumbest consumer I have ever encountered.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Dirt wrote:

No, misleading thieves.

Grifman
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

mistook the circumstances. nothing to see here.
geezer

Post by geezer »

this makes my day :)
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

I read part of that thread on the steampowered forums (but it was loading so slowly I didn't read all of it, site probably getting hammered). Typical sign of the times -- people whining when they get caught doing something wrong and not wanting to take responsibility for their actions. Some of the "excuses" for "just trying the illegal key to see if it would work" are priceless, along with various arguments like "everybody does warez sometimez, if you say you don't you are lying" or "i am not a criminal, i have paid for most of my games..."
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I can see the other side's point to a degree. Lets say you had a bootleg Metallica album. Metallica comes to your house, decides not to prosecute you, but takes the illegal album with them. By what right do they search through your music collection and take all of the paid for Metallica albums you own from years past?

I can see Valve killing illegal HL2 copies - but does that give them the right to take back all of your other Valve software?
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Here's one of my favorites from the steampowered thread:
word bro... i was pissed but i knew this would happen

my friend just called omg nooooo nooo ahhhh ahh crying on the phone why me

i waslike u and 20k other people hha owned
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Blackhawk wrote:I can see the other side's point to a degree. Lets say you had a bootleg Metallica album. Metallica comes to your house, decides not to prosecute you, but takes the illegal album with them. By what right do they search through your music collection and take all of the paid for Metallica albums you own from years past?

I can see Valve killing illegal HL2 copies - but does that give them the right to take back all of your other Valve software?
If software piracy isn't an issue our officers of the law deem enforcable, I can see how companies may go a bit vigilante with their own personal responses. I'm not saying I like it, but I can certainly see how we got into this mess.

~Neal
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The Meal wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:I can see the other side's point to a degree. Lets say you had a bootleg Metallica album. Metallica comes to your house, decides not to prosecute you, but takes the illegal album with them. By what right do they search through your music collection and take all of the paid for Metallica albums you own from years past?

If software piracy isn't an issue our officers of the law deem enforcable, I can see how companies may go a bit vigilante with their own personal responses. I'm not saying I like it, but I can certainly see how we got into this mess.

~Neal
Oh, I see the motivation well enough. It is just a scary precedent.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Let's say you invite your friend over to your house. While he's there, he steals something from you. You could just take back the thing he stole, and let him keep coming over, but that just tells him that he needs to find a better way to steal so he doesn't get caught. On the other hand, if you take back the thing, kick him in the nuts a few times, and tell him not to come back over, he might think twice before he steals something of yours again.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Chaz wrote:

Let's say you invite your friend over to your house. While he's there, he steals something from you. You could just take back the thing he stole, and let him keep coming over, but that just tells him that he needs to find a better way to steal so he doesn't get caught. On the other hand, if you take back the thing, kick him in the nuts a few times, and tell him not to come back over, he might think twice before he steals something of yours again.
Yeah, and he might also have you arrested for battery. Breaking the law isn't a good way of punishing someone for breaking the law. Valve has every right to disable a stolen copy of Half-Life 2. They have no right to disable a copy of Counterstrike or Day of Defeat you bought three years ago, which is exactly what they are doing.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Neuromancer. Where Corporation is King.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

How did they take it back. Maybe I misunderstand but they just disconnected the thieves from Steam. They still have their games they bought, they just can't play MP on Steam.

Grifman
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Blackhawk wrote:
Chaz wrote:

Yeah, and he might also have you arrested for battery. Breaking the law isn't a good way of punishing someone for breaking the law. Valve has every right to disable a stolen copy of Half-Life 2. They have no right to disable a copy of Counterstrike or Day of Defeat you bought three years ago, which is exactly what they are doing.
But nobody is going to press the issue because if they do...Valve will just stick it up their rear ends by pressing charges for credit card fraud. Mr. Secret Service agent will show up at these houses and take you in. (Secret Service has jurisdiction over credit card fraud).
Al

By replying this post you agree to give me $1,000,000.

Post by Al »

Blackhawk wrote:Valve has every right to disable a stolen copy of Half-Life 2. They have no right to disable a copy of Counterstrike or Day of Defeat you bought three years ago, which is exactly what they are doing.
Section 5 of the Steam Subscriber Agreement states:
Valve may terminate your Account or a particular Subscription for any conduct or activity that Valve believes is illegal
I'd say they're within their rights.
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Is there a reason why they can't create a new Steam account and re-register the software they actually own? Was it just the account that was banned or was it the person that owned it?
Black Lives Matter