Looking for a good gaming mousepad

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

gorham09

Looking for a good gaming mousepad

Post by gorham09 »

I have a Logitech MX1000 laser mouse and am looking for a good mousepad to complement it. I know there are a slew of "gaming" mousepads out there, but I know little about them or which are considered to be better than others. In other words, "Ice pads," "Ratz Pads," what the heck are these things? :roll:

Can anyone share their personal experience and knowledge with these things?

Oh, and I'm not looking to break the bank on this either. Something in the $20-30 range maximum.
jpinard

Post by jpinard »

Here's the #1 pad you can get: The Steelpad S&S https://www.steelpad.com/shop/default.asp?main=products

Second to that would be the fUNC Surface1030
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Since switching to laser mice the day they first came out, I don't think I've used a mouse pad at all. The top of the desk, back of the cat, or any solid object works just fine.
gorham09

Post by gorham09 »

I find that the moves moves with less resistance when I use a mousepad and just can't seem to get comfortable without it. However, I have a small cloth mousepad right now and the laser mouse does not like it. THe cursor makes tiny freaksih jerking motions with it. Without the pad though it seems to read just fine. So much for being able to track on any surface.

I looked up that Steelpad, but $39.95 is just to much for a mouspad. The funcpad is much less though. Are there any places that sell these things at a discount?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

gorham09 wrote:I find that the moves moves with less resistance when I use a mousepad and just can't seem to get comfortable without it. However, I have a small cloth mousepad right now and the laser mouse does not like it. THe cursor makes tiny freaksih jerking motions with it. Without the pad though it seems to read just fine. So much for being able to track on any surface.

I looked up that Steelpad, but $39.95 is just to much for a mouspad. The funcpad is much less though. Are there any places that sell these things at a discount?
Is your mousepad light or dark colored? I use Logitech mice and they seem to prefer light-colored surfaces (my desktop is a light gray). When I had a Microsoft mouse, it preferred a dark surface (I used the blotter or the cat).

Somewhere, I have a clear acryllic mousepad with flecks of glitter inside. The thing is huge, though, so I never bothered to actually put it on my desk and see if it worked better than nothing (mostly because nothing works just fine).
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Since switching to an optical mouse, I never think about using a pad. Though I do find that the grain on my desk does sometimes cause it to shake back and forth for reasons I don't understand.
Rich in KCK

Post by Rich in KCK »

I didn't use a pad for a long time as well, over a year I believe. The fake wood grain on my desk wore away over time though and the mouse had a terrible time tracking on the surface pattern that was left. A cheap solution that was recommended to me when I needed a quick fix was to cut off the side to a solid color 3 ring plastic binder. It's large, smooth, doesn't look bad and works great. It also only cost about $2 and you get 2 of them. For that price everyone should at least try it.
Ned Flanders

Post by Ned Flanders »

I used the top of my desk until I realized how bad I was marking it up. Tried a 'gaming pad" but thought it was too sensitive/frictionless when combined with the new optical mice. Now I use a Wowpad I picked up at OfficeMax. It's basically a 12"x12" non-skid sheet of plastic. It's big, doesn't get into the way since its basically flat, and gives a nice smooth surface.
none

Post by none »

i'd never bought a mousepad in my life. they just always seemed to be around. that said, a couple of months ago, my girlfriend made me buy a new mousepad since my old one was getting pretty...old. stopped by officemax and picked up a wowpad. i've been using it ever since and haven't a single complaint.
gorham09

Post by gorham09 »

My current mousepad has some sort of tropical frog motif on it. I have had it for years, but it's just a mass of colorful frogs on a cloth covered non-skid rubber backing. Apparently, lasers don't like tropical frogs. (How's that for an odd statement?)
My MX700 had no problems with it, but the new laser mouse likes the slick surface of my black keyboard drawer, it's just not as comfortable to use that way for me.

Looks like I am leaning towards this funcpad, although there is a less expensive version of the steelpad. wowpad is too big in the rectangular version for my needs and I don't like the circular version.
Bertran

Post by Bertran »

I have the fUNC Surface 1030 and I like it a lot. It comes with a double-sided plastic surface with different textures (levels of smoothness) on each side, and this surface fits into a rubber "base" which holds it in place on the desktop. There is also a mouse cord clip, which is great for keeping the cord out of the way. When I got mine a few years ago, it even came in a cool metal case. 8)
jonsauce

Post by jonsauce »

I still use my trusty Max Payne mouse pad that I got the day Max Payne was released. I guess I'm a bit old school ;)
Now Playing:

WoW (PC)
LotRO (PC)
GH2 (360)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

For the MX700 on my secondary rig, I use one of several MouseMats. They were on clearance, so I grabbed the Celtic Arms and The Works, plus one more they don't list anymore. Easy to keep clean, great motion, thin, just the right size, and they track perfectly. Can't beat 'em for $2 each.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
is_dead

Post by is_dead »

IMO the main reason to go for a mousepad is that they don't collect dust, and transfer the dust to the mouse feet, as fast as the desk alone. So I'd focus on one that is textured or cloth so that dust is kept off the mousefeet longer.

For myself, I try and remember to wipe the desk every day before I use my new mouse. The feet still need cleaning a lot though, so if you have some success in this area, please let me know :)
is_dead
jpinard

Post by jpinard »

I can't handle any other surface except a very slick gaming pad. once you get used to it, everything else sucks.
Faldarian

Post by Faldarian »

jonsauce wrote:I still use my trusty Max Payne mouse pad that I got the day Max Payne was released. I guess I'm a bit old school ;)
:lol:

I used that mouse pad for years, until a bad accident with a cup of coffee did it in for me. That's gaming value, right there.
jonsauce

Post by jonsauce »

jonsauce wrote:
I still use my trusty Max Payne mouse pad that I got the day Max Payne was released. I guess I'm a bit old school

I used that mouse pad for years, until a bad accident with a cup of coffee did it in for me. That's gaming value, right there.
I hate to admit it, but my Iguana took a crap on it and I cleaned it off and kept using it :)
Now Playing:

WoW (PC)
LotRO (PC)
GH2 (360)