web talk for dummies?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Vinda-Lou

web talk for dummies?

Post by Vinda-Lou »

Even though I've played computer games since the mid 80s, I am pretty unexperienced in mmo games. That said, is there a site that translates web-speak? I know some of the "phrases" like IMHO means "in my humble opinion" and lol means "laugh out loud." But I even get lost reading some posts here! YHIA (Your help is appreciated... I just made that up.)
setaside

Post by setaside »

hmm ... not really gaming related and you might get more help in EBG anyway. Moving in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ... now.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I think Wikipedia covers most of these.

For example, YMMV

Actually, here's the full list.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
martindemon

Post by martindemon »

My personal solution to internet talk is to go elsewhere when people abuse these useless slangs. I can easily type 30 words a minute and it took me half an hour during 4 weeks to do that. Is it really that hard to work a little bit to learn to type fast for people who are "plugged" on a computer more than 12 hours a day? Believe me, it pays. I also don't have to look often at the keyboard. That's much more efficient than using only the first letters of words. Sure, it would be more efficient to type 30 words a minute and use those internet slang but I always find that slangs slow down my reading a lot.
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

martindemon wrote:My personal solution to internet talk is to go elsewhere when people abuse these useless slangs. I can easily type 30 words a minute and it took me half an hour during 4 weeks to do that. Is it really that hard to work a little bit to learn to type fast for people who are "plugged" on a computer more than 12 hours a day? Believe me, it pays. I also don't have to look often at the keyboard. That's much more efficient than using only the first letters of words. Sure, it would be more efficient to type 30 words a minute and use those internet slang but I always find that slangs slow down my reading a lot.
I don't know, YMMV. :P

That's why I liked GG and now OO. I hate internet slang, and here, people can actually SPELL.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Captain Caveman

Re: web talk for dummies?

Post by Captain Caveman »

Vinda-Lou wrote:Even though I've played computer games since the mid 80s, I am pretty unexperienced in mmo games. That said, is there a site that translates web-speak? I know some of the "phrases" like IMHO means "in my humble opinion" and lol means "laugh out loud." But I even get lost reading some posts here! YHIA (Your help is appreciated... I just made that up.)
[img]http://nos_rox.blig.ig.com.br/imagens/noob.jpg[/img]
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Eel Snave wrote:here, people can actually SPELL.
And trust me, if you can't, we'll tell you about it. ;)

- Ash
knob

Post by knob »

Eel Snave wrote:
martindemon wrote:My personal solution to internet talk is to go elsewhere when people abuse these useless slangs. I can easily type 30 words a minute and it took me half an hour during 4 weeks to do that. Is it really that hard to work a little bit to learn to type fast for people who are "plugged" on a computer more than 12 hours a day? Believe me, it pays. I also don't have to look often at the keyboard. That's much more efficient than using only the first letters of words. Sure, it would be more efficient to type 30 words a minute and use those internet slang but I always find that slangs slow down my reading a lot.
I don't know, YMMV. :P

That's why I liked GG and now OO. I hate internet slang, and here, people can actually SPELL.
I remember back when I first started visiting GG. I'd see all of this YMMV, AFAIK, IIRC, TTIWWP, OTOH crap and I'd get pretty pissed.

Now it doesn't bother me.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Valael wrote:Now it doesn't bother me.
Comfortably numb, are you?

- Ash