What's the truly scariest pc gaming experience you've had?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Brian

Post by Brian »

SuperHiro wrote:Any interest in doing some multiplayer?
Sure. But not until at least after Thanksgiving weekend.

I can host.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Fubeca

Post by Fubeca »

My scariest moment had to be when I uninstalled Pool of Radiance. (Uninstalling had a bug that could wipe your install of Windows in some cases)
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

Amish Warlord wrote:

I can host.

WORD. No expansion right?
bobsmods

Post by bobsmods »

Definitely Doom 3 ... the beginning, where you can here people getting slaughtered over the radio; the Hell level; and the CPU complex were chock-full of crap-your-pants atmosphere. One moment in particular that I remember sending a shiver down my spine ... the level right after you get off the monorail, I walked into a lobby-type of room, with a big glass window looking out over the Martian landscape. I happened to look up, and saw a monstrous figure scrabbling across the sky-lights in the ceiling ... freaky-deeky!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Anyone remember the original Alien for the C64? You're directing the crew members of the Nostromo around the ship trying to find a way to eject the Alien (or more likely running for your life). If a character had a motion detector or the cat, you could know whether the alien was close by. And the background music was that bump-bump sound that increased speed whenever a character was in danger. If the tension wasn't enough, when the Alien attacked you'd get a popup screen with the Alien and the SCREECH! when it attacked. All low-tech, but it made me jump EVERY time. And it ususally meant that someone in the crew was about to die.

For the same reason, I'll say X-Com. The background noise consistently set up a nice tension before a grey popped out to blast my team into oblivion with either mental powers, rockets or headsuckers. It's all about the right mood, IMO.

I'll give Doom 3 its due for being creepy, too. After the beatifully executed but storyline deprived HL2, I respect Doom 3 a lot more for sticking to its demon-zombie atmosphere and using it to tell the story.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Brian

Post by Brian »

SuperHiro wrote:
Amish Warlord wrote:

I can host.

WORD. No expansion right?
Right.

Look for a thread in Multiplayer gaming later this week regarding some AvP2 action.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm actually pretty freaked out right now. Just finished moving through a haunted hotel in Vampire: Bloodlines.

There's something about hotels and ghosts that's just downright freaky.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

There have only ever been two moments in PC gaming when I had to stop because of the tension caused by a game's scary elements (that's code for "I was too much of a pussy to keep playing").

Both were in HL2. The first was at the entrance to Ravenholm. There was something just plain disturbing about getting to the top of the wooden elevator and being in that wooden hallway. It felt cramped and creepy and I didn't want to go around that corner. I turned off the game for the night.

The second instance caused me to stop playing last night. I am convinced that the most disturbing sound in PC gaming is the ragged breathing of the poison zombies in HL2. In particular, when you can't find them and you know they are close. I am towards the end of "Highway 17", and the breathing just got too creepy to keep going. Especially with the horrific screams that periodically broke up the breathing.

I hope to be playing Bloodlines in a few weeks, so we'll see how that goes.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Pussy. :P
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Archangel

Post by Archangel »

Silent Hill 2 (which I am playing now), and "undying" which I never got to finish,can`t find the cd :(
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I'm suprised no one's mentioned Nocturne. At the time, I remember a lot o people saying it was one of the scariest games they played.
Massena

Post by Massena »

No doubts. Vampire. Bloodlines. Haunted Hotel.

Scariest level I've ever seen. I was looking over my shoulder, I was on edge the whole way through. My heater kicked on somwhere in the basement and I almost shit a brick. What a great game.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Nade wrote:I'm suprised no one's mentioned Nocturne. At the time, I remember a lot o people saying it was one of the scariest games they played.
Thanks for reminding me I have this game, still unopened. I didn't buy it originally because it got such mixed reviews and didn't sound very good from what I could gather. Years passed. Then on the GG forums people were talking quite favorably about it. So I got a brand new copy for $10 from GoGamer and forgot I had it. And I've been in the mood for a good scary game lately too.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

Mark, you might want to have a walkthru handy before playing that game.
Name the 3 branches of the US Government: "Judicial, legislative....I can twerk"