If you had $2,000 to build a rig...

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kelric

If you had $2,000 to build a rig...

Post by Kelric »

If you had $2,000 to build a rig from scratch, what would you go with?

I'm looking to just upgrade my current system, but if I get some money that I've been hoping for I may just sell this system and then buy a whole new one. I have no idea what's the latest and greatest (and more importantly - most stable) technology out there though. I'd obviously want something high end but I'd also love for it to be quiet - my current computer is anything but quiet.

Also, with that kind of money should I just get a Falcon/Alienware or should I build it myself (like I did with this current one)?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Including a new monitor or not?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Meghan

Post by Meghan »

If I had 2k, I'd buy a fragbox.
If I ventured in the slipstream / between the viaducts of your dream

aka merneith, aka kylhwch
EngineNo9

Post by EngineNo9 »

Hookers. 3 of them. And a calculator.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Blackhawk wrote:Including a new monitor or not?
Not including a monitor, speakers, keyboard, or mouse. A case is optional though. If it allows a good upgrade somewhere, then a case isn't needed, I can find one elsewhere for free/really cheap.
Cam

Post by Cam »

A little more information is necessary, particularly when you would like this system ready to roll. If it's right now, then I would suggest one thing, if it's January, I would suggest something totally different. I wouldn't buy pre-built, but that's just personal preference. I just built my first rig about a month ago and I love it. I don't think $2k is gonna get ya top of the line from FalconNW or Alienware.
"You tell me that if I take the deposits from the bank and annul its charter, I shall ruin ten thousand families. That may be true, gentlemen, but that is your sin! Should I let you go on, you will ruin fifty thousand families, and that would be my sin! You are a den of vipers and thieves."
-President Andrew Jackson
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

You shouldn't have any trouble with that budget. I just spent $1500 for a system, including 5.1 speakers and a case, that runs HL2 at max detail at 1600x1200 without a hitch. For $500 more, you could really max it out if you self-built.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Well crap you can definatly build the rig O doom for that price if you don't need a moniter, speakers, keyboard and mouse. Not that any of those are terribly expensive. Here's a rundown off the top of my head.
Some of the prices are going to be off because I haven't been keeping up lately as much. :(

Hardrive depends on size but around 80-140 range

memory 512 runs in the ballpark of 100 bucks...(this varies alot so I don't know the current prices. Pricewatch should give you a pretty good idea)

DVD drive 40-60 bucks

CDRW 40-60 bucks

Video card varies alot decent ones start at around 200 great ones 400
Motherboard 80-150 bucks depends on how many bells and whistles you want.

CPU varies you can get a good one for 200-300 range
Price on those things spike real fast once you hit the top of the line hardware.

Soundcard 60-100 bucks depends on how fancy smancy you want it.

Network card 10-20 bucks (this is if the mobo doesn't have one built in which it probably does)

Case if you so inclined 50 for a decent one. 100's for a decked out one. (waste of money if you ask me.)

So the grand total if you stay on the high side of my guestimates
960!! This will run most any game like butter!! butter I tell you!!

If you spend the whole two grand then it better friggen levitate seems like overkill to me.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

www.sharkyextreme.com

Every other month or so they have a buyer's guide for three different price ranges. Just check the mid level guide and look for the sections that you don't already have.

I've used their guides for a while now, and every time I order these parts in the combinations they say, my computer has booted up the first time after I assembled it, no problems whatsoever.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

I'd probably be building it after the New Year if I do it at all. Just idle speculation really.