XBox wireless controllers?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

XBox wireless controllers?

Post by Blackhawk »

I wanted a second controller so my wife and I could play together, and I wanted wireless so that I could play when the kids were awake (babies like to chew on wires strung across the room). I was in Wal-Mart the other day, and bought the Pelican Edge Wireless Controller.

Good gods is this thing awful! The control sticks feel like they have a half second delayed response, and I have to push the buttons two or three times (or hold them down for a full second) to get them to respond at all. Changing frequencies doesn't help, and this is from three feet away with line-of-sight. I don't have the receipt or box, so I'm probably stuck with a non-working $35 piece of plastic.

I need a wireless controller. What do I want? Keep in mind that the nearest electronics store (other than a very small Wal-Mart) is a 60 mile round trip for me. I can't spend a fortune, either, after having wasted all the money on this one.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

I'm going to be no help at all as I don't own an XBox, but I do own a Pelican Predator wireless controller for PS2 and I have to say I'm surprised. The Predator controller has been a fantastic investment. It responds just as well as the standard Dualshock controllers, has great battery life, and works well from anywhere in the room.

The only thing I can offer is that it did take awhile to get used to, and at first it seemed as though it didn't work as well as I would have liked. Perhaps it was the ergonomics, or the pressure sensitivity of the buttons (the Predator buttons are much stiffer than the standard PS2 controller buttons) but after a couple of hours it felt pretty good, and now that I'm used to the feel it works wonderfully.

My only other advice is to stop throwing boxes and receipts away so soon. :wink:

Edit - It couldn't hurt to get in touch with Pelican tech support and see if they can offer any advice or possibly a product replacement. They don't give refunds but they will offer replacement for defective products. Maybe you just got a bad one. Email them at support@pelicanperformance.com.
crumsteel

Post by crumsteel »

I would have to recommend the logitech wireless controller. Link . This is the best wireless controller I have every owned. The response times are great and the analog sticks are not flimsy. By no means is this controller made cheap. My only complaint is sometimes when I first start the xbox, the controller takes a hit of a button or two to start responding then it is good, my guess is it's a sleep saving power.
tiktokman

Post by tiktokman »

Definitely get the Logitech wireless controller. Best purchase I've made for my Xbox yet. I have two now and bought one at Wal-Mart. Buy it now!
Devil

Post by Devil »

Another vote for Logitech...
Jancelot

Post by Jancelot »

There's always an odd one in the bunch, and it's me!

A vote against the Logitech. The thumbsticks are loose and have no indentions for traction. The D-pad is looser and it's hard to find the spot I'm trying to push. The buttons also require you to mash them slightly harder than a wired controller. The triggers are in an odd position so that I have to contort my hands and they get cramped (this never happens with the MS wired ones). With my hands contorted to reach the triggers I find it difficult to get to the white/black buttons. IMHO it has an overall cheap feel to it. And for someone like me, who prefers the original big controller, it's too small. Whew!

I know that I'm in the minority as most people love this controller. But there are those of us who don't care for it. However, I have one barely used purchased 3 weeks ago available for trade or sale. :)
Draco

Post by Draco »

I have been using the Cordless Precision Controller since July and I love it. I just bought a second one too (Best Buy has a grey one labled the "EA Sports" edition). Walmart has it for sale right now for only $39.74. Just to reply what Jancelot said:
Jancelot wrote:The thumbsticks are loose and have no indentions for traction.
While the thumbsticks are slightly more loose than the Controller S, they are still very responsive and you get used to them quickly. I've had no trouble with precise movements in games like Splinter Cell or Thief. Also, while they don't have indentations, there is a tactile rubber top that works very well. Although you may not like this as much for games with extended running (i.e., Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance).
Jancelot wrote:The D-pad is looser and it's hard to find the spot I'm trying to push.
I have not found this to be the case; must be a matter of preference. THe D-Pad feels solid on mine.
Jancelot wrote:The buttons also require you to mash them slightly harder than a wired controller.
Again, I have not noticed a need to push the buttons harder. I put this controler through the wringer this summer playing Gladius for 106 hours, which requires you to enter many precise button presses for the "swing" meter and I never had a problem.
Jancelot wrote:The triggers are in an odd position so that I have to contort my hands and they get cramped (this never happens with the MS wired ones).
While the triggers are positioned further out than on the Controller S, and are very sensitive, you will adapt to the new feeling within 30 minutes (I did). At first, I kept pressing them accidently, but now I can comfortably rest my index fingers on them without pressing them. I've never had to "contort" my hands to reach them. They rest very comfortably on the triggers.
Jancelot wrote:With my hands contorted to reach the triggers I find it difficult to get to the white/black buttons.
Again, I haven't found this to be the case. My thumbs can access the W and B buttons just fine. In fact, they're easier to hit than on the Controller S because they are in a slightly recessed area and you never accidently hit them when you press the "A" button.
Jancelot wrote:IMHO it has an overall cheap feel to it. And for someone like me, who prefers the original big controller, it's too small. Whew!
Man, are we talking about the same controller here? Many wireless controllers feel like cheap plastic (I'm talking Pelican here) and are very light, but the Logitech is very sturdy. I've dropped mine from a standing position several times and it's still ticking. It has a good weight and doesn't feel like it's going to break under my grip. It takes only 2 AA batteries, has vibration, and the batteries lasted a LONG time. I've only replaced them twice in the last six months and I play almost every night. I use PowerEX 2300mAh rechargable batteries.

I would either get it from Walmart online or take up Jancelot on his offer, but from the sound of his experience with the controler, it must be broken to have all those deficiences.
Papa Smurph

Post by Papa Smurph »

What Draco said. Every word of it. The Logitech Wireless controller is awesome.
What the smurf are you smurfing at?!
EngineNo9

Post by EngineNo9 »

I didn't bother to read all of the text above, so sorry if this is a repost, but just be aware there was an older version of the Logitech wireless controller that wasn't nearly as good as the newer one. I think the new one is called the Precision (Pro?) or something.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Jancelot wrote:And for someone like me, who prefers the original big controller, it's too small. Whew!
That's a showstopper here. I can't game on the XBox with an S Controlloer. Is there an acceptable wireless controller for those of us who like the larger controllers?

(You should see the frustration fly when I try gaming on the GameCube with the kiddie controllers we bought!)

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Draco

Post by Draco »

If the Controller S is too small for you then, the original Logitech Cordless Controller, which came out last year, is what you seek. It's MUCH bigger than the new Cordless Precision controller, however it's still very comfortable, and the black and white buttons are still positioned comfortably below the ABXY buttons. It also has vibration, but takes 4 AA batteries.

There is a nice review and great pictures at IGN here. Here's a thumbnail:
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Thanks for the link Draco. I'll check out the review.
Draco wrote:[T]he black and white buttons are still positioned comfortably below the ABXY buttons.
That, too, could be a showstopper. I have no idea why they moved the white/black buttons for the S Controller. Annoyed me greatly, it did. My thumb just can't jab at locations that close to where the rest of my hand is sitting. I must have monster-sized hands compared to the rest of the XBox playing population or something.

~Neal
Draco

Post by Draco »

It might be OK for you to have the B&W buttons below the ABXY buttons on the larger Logitech controller because you hands are spaced so far apart. It's difficult to describe without actually holding the controller in your hand. It doesn't feel so much like holding a controller, but like holding onto two handlebars. It's that big.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Well, I'll keep my eyes peeled in the b&m stores to see if I can wrap my own meat-hooks around one and figure out if it'd work or not. I'd suppose that with a full-sized controller it'd be less annoying. And in the review you linked I see the reviewer actually said that they sit comfortably under the "thumb knuckle" implying that one wouldn't jab at them with their thumb tip, but instead would depress those buttons with the bottom of their thumbstalk. That could work okay, depending on how games utilize those buttons...

Thanks again,
~Neal
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

Thumbstalk?
Draco

Post by Draco »

I haven't seen them in stores in over a year (they came out in 2002). Best bet would be eBay. I haven't even seen them on EBGames or Gamestop.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

rrmorton wrote:Thumbstalk?
I was reaching there. I would have called it the "shaft of my thumb" but then I was frightened as to what Kael would do with that phrase.

~Neal
evt

Post by evt »

Just a stupid question because I want to get a wireless controller as well....Does Microsoft not make a 1st party Wireless Controller?.....If not is one on the way? Thanks
Jancelot

Post by Jancelot »

The Meal wrote:Thanks for the link Draco. I'll check out the review.
Draco wrote:[T]he black and white buttons are still positioned comfortably below the ABXY buttons.
That, too, could be a showstopper. I have no idea why they moved the white/black buttons for the S Controller. Annoyed me greatly, it did. My thumb just can't jab at locations that close to where the rest of my hand is sitting. I must have monster-sized hands compared to the rest of the XBox playing population or something.

~Neal
Me neither. I still have no idea why they moved those buttons to the bottom. They're so much easier for me to hit on the top. Perhaps it's another freak hand size issue. My biggest concern is that the X-Box Next will only have the S-controller size available. At least my HOUSes cover my face more when I'm crying my freak self to sleep at night.

MS does not make a first party wireless controller. I haven't heard of any plans for one either.

Draco, do you work for Logitech? :D
Draco

Post by Draco »

Jancelot wrote:Draco, do you work for Logitech? :D
Heh, no. I'm a prosecutor. But I try out virtually every wireless controller for xbox. :) Check out this new bad boy from Hip Gear. Wireless controller and wireless headset. Very pricy though. I tried out HipGear's last wireless controller and wasn't impressed (battery life sucked, thumbsticks very loose). Hopefully they made some improvements here:

EB Games lists it for $100!