Canned condensed soup

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Do you add the recommended can of water when you cook your soup?

Never!
4%
Always!
56%
Sometimes
8%
Only a little water
4%
Only a little water sometimes
8%
What??
20%

Total votes: 25

Daehawk

Canned condensed soup

Post by Daehawk »

Do you guys ever add that recommended 1 full can of water to your soup when you cook it? I never do. Never have. Im guessing my parents didn't either since I dont . Or maybe I just chose to do it this way. Who knows.

I will add just a 'little' water if its too think . Depends on the brand and type of canned soup. Like cream of chicken I always add about 1/4 a can to make it thinner and easier to eat and seem to get more of. If you count chili then I do the same. Unless Im using the chili for hotdogs. Keep it thick then.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jaymann

Re: Canned condensed soup

Post by Jaymann »

I use milk (where applicable), and usually less than the full amount. However, most canned soup I see nowadays comes already mixed.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I've always added liquid (water or milk, depending on the type) to condensed soup if I am making it to eat as soup (as opposed to using it as an ingredient in a recipe of some sort). These days, though, I usually buy ready-to-eat soup rather than condensed since the RTE soups are generally much better quality, so there's no reason to add liquid.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I only add some milk to tomato soup. Super improves it. Learned that from my father in law. He made THE best tomato juice and soup. Then at the end he'd add milk. Mm mm. His own home grown tomatoes.
Holman

Post by Holman »

C'mon, guys. This kind of post clearly belongs in the Soup forum.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Holman

Post by Holman »

(I add the water. And also additional salt and seasoning, because I always find condensed soup to be really bland.)
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I don't think I've ever eaten condensed soup with or without added water or milk. In college I'd occasionally have soup but only the ready to eat kind. I've always preferred sardines and crackers for a shelf stable meal in a pinch.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I make soup from scratch. Have never had canned soup that I know of. Maybe in childhood.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Holman wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:15 pm C'mon, guys. This kind of post clearly belongs in the Soup forum.
I wonder if soup is still doing the van life.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

What kind of maniac doesn't add the recommended can of water???
That's my purse! I don't know you!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

God, you're so right. I've always thought of it as if it were preparing blow fish for human consumption. I don't wanna die, for Christ's sake!
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I punch a hole in the top with a K-Bar and chug it down as practice for dining in the post-apocalypse.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

$iljanus wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:02 am I punch a hole in the top with a K-Bar and chug it down as practice for dining in the post-apocalypse.
....while driving an eighteen wheeler across a suspension bridge in the Amazon, and simultaneously wrestling a half dozen giant anacondas into submission?

That's what I've always liked about you, Sil. You ooze machismo.
He won. Period.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I mostly use condensed soup as an ingredient for other dishes. Sometimes a can of mushroom soup along with some sautéed mushrooms on top of pork chops, a can of tomato in Shipwreck, or a can of cream of celery in my mother's Hamburger Chinese :wub: which I all of a sudden find myself extremely hungry for. :think: Did the Shake & Bake, might as well do the Hamburger Chinese next. On the rare occasion I eat condensed soup the way it was intended, it would be tomato soup served along with a grilled cheese sandwich.
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

After thinking about it some more, I'm sure I used to eat canned soup when I was a kid. I remember chicken noodle and chicken & stars specifically.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:53 am After thinking about it some more, I'm sure I used to eat canned soup when I was a kid. I remember chicken noodle and chicken & stars specifically.
Mom did canned soup and grilled cheese a lot when I was very young. I occasionally live that childhood experience. I keep a couple of cans of chicken noodle and cream of mushroom around for that purpose. Only now I eat an entire can (plus water that rinses the can) instead of a small bowl.

Grilled (sometimes meat, sometimes egg, sometimes both, sometimes neither) cheese has become a regular thing for me again since "retirement." Not because of affinity for them but for my affinity for a hot sandwich and a grilled cheese and probably plus something is the easy way to eat a hot sandwich.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I add peas to split pea soup and corn to various chowders.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Is that chowder or chowdah?
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

hepcat wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:10 am Is that chowder or chowdah?
It's only chowdah when Ahnold comes to sup.

Edit: I try to make conversation, but he always says, "Can we get to the chowdah?"
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:D
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:12 am
$iljanus wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:02 am I punch a hole in the top with a K-Bar and chug it down as practice for dining in the post-apocalypse.
....while driving an eighteen wheeler across a suspension bridge in the Amazon, and simultaneously wrestling a half dozen giant anacondas into submission?

That's what I've always liked about you, Sil. You ooze machismo.
Awww, shucks. It was really just 3 big anacondas.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:11 am
hepcat wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:10 am Is that chowder or chowdah?
It's only chowdah when Ahnold comes to sup.

Edit: I try to make conversation, but he always says, "Can we get to the chowdah?"
:clap:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I bet Arnold and Mark Wahlberg pronounce chowder the same.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have done this a time or two. Not by preference (and not with a knife), but when in need of food with near-zero time to make or consume it. Popped the top off, chugged it out of the can. Entire meal was less than a minute.

Not terribly pleasant, but it served a need.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

:clap:
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Only popped in here to state how disappointed/sad I will be if this topic makes it to more than one page. :P
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:56 am Only popped in here to state how disappointed/sad I will be if this topic makes it to more than one page. :P
Wait, you only bumped this topic because you hoped it would not get more attention?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Unagi wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:58 am
Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:56 am Only popped in here to state how disappointed/sad I will be if this topic makes it to more than one page. :P
Wait, you only bumped this topic because you hoped it would not get more attention?
That is correct.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:01 am
Unagi wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:58 am
That is correct.
Sir.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Well, what I like to do with condensed soup is slowly reduce it down to a dense glaze and serve it with salted crackers.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

When my wife is sick she likes to cook Campbell's Chicken with Rice on the stove top. She'll leave it cooking until it no longer has the consistency of soup but is more a ricey porridge.

It's kinda gross and I'm glad she only does it when she's sick.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

When I have canned soup for myself, it's typically Campbell's Chunky or the Progresso equivalent, in which case no water is added since they're not condensed. When the twins are home from school we'll often do a soup and sandwich lunch, though, that uses Campbell's condensed. That, of course, gets the mandatory additional can of water because I'm not a monster.
Holman wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:17 pm (I add the water. And also additional salt and seasoning, because I always find condensed soup to be really bland.)
I think most condensed soups already contain approximately 2000% of your recommended salt intake for a month. Campbell's Chicken Noodle is like a salt lick with noodles and small chicken bits.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:15 am When I have canned soup for myself, it's typically Campbell's Chunky or the Progresso equivalent, in which case no water is added since they're not condensed. When the twins are home from school we'll often do a soup and sandwich lunch, though, that uses Campbell's condensed. That, of course, gets the mandatory additional can of water because I'm not a monster.
Holman wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:17 pm (I add the water. And also additional salt and seasoning, because I always find condensed soup to be really bland.)
I think most condensed soups already contain approximately 2000% of your recommended salt intake for a month. Campbell's Chicken Noodle is like a salt lick with noodles and small chicken bits.
This. People adding salt to condensed soup blows my mind. It has one of the highest concentrations of salt on the grocery store shelf (which is also why you almost always see a low sodium version as well).
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:20 am
ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:15 am When I have canned soup for myself, it's typically Campbell's Chunky or the Progresso equivalent, in which case no water is added since they're not condensed. When the twins are home from school we'll often do a soup and sandwich lunch, though, that uses Campbell's condensed. That, of course, gets the mandatory additional can of water because I'm not a monster.
This. People adding salt to condensed soup blows my mind. It has one of the highest concentrations of salt on the grocery store shelf (which is also why you almost always see a low sodium version as well).
Yeah. The idea of adding salt is just mind blowing.

That’s why my joke reply was to put the condensed condensed soup paste on a salted cracker.

I never thought I’d read where Holman and Daehawk intersect, but here we are.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Unagi wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:42 ambut here we are.
On
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:52 am
On
Page
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:15 am I think most condensed soups already contain approximately 2000% of your recommended salt intake for a month. Campbell's Chicken Noodle is like a salt lick with noodles and small chicken bits.
Yeah, one can is 2225 mg of salt.

98% of the recommended daily allowance. Which is still a ton
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

On
Page
Two!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

On
Page
Two!
Dammit
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

There can only be two.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter