Tucker Carlson Putin interview

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

waitingtoconnect

Tucker Carlson Putin interview

Post by waitingtoconnect »

This probably deserves its own thread. I mean what the actual <insert swear word>

Putin's gone completely gaga, I can only imagine what Carlson was thinking about for the first 30 minutes as Putin rambled on about Eastern European history. He looked like a stunned mullet.
LordMortis

Re: Tucker Carlson Putin interview

Post by LordMortis »

I don't want to give that a click. He's been blowing Putin for years. Give me Cliff's Notes.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He doesn’t get a real chance to crawl up Putin’s butt though because Putin just railroads Carlson like a junior league interviewer. Putin refuses to let Carlson interrupt him, he admonishes him if he says something that doesn’t fit the party line (which isn’t often) , and just generally controls the entire interview from beginning to end. It’s not really an interview. It’s the Putin Show.

Then Carlson has the balls to say he’s the only journalist brave enough to go after an interview with Putin? Pure lies. Almost every single journalist in the free world has sought that. But they granted Carlson the thing because he’s continually providing sound bites played on Russian propaganda news shows.
He won. Period.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

And Alberta thought it was a good idea to bring him up here and put on his shit show. That shit is spreading.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

What's with the long neck tie?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:19 am

Then Carlson has the balls to say he’s the only journalist brave enough to go after an interview with Putin? Pure lies. Almost every single journalist in the free world has sought that.
He got slapped down for that too, because of course everyone is begging to interview the great Putin and how dare he insinuate anything different. Tucker may catch the polonium.

However, Peskov said Carlson is "wrong" by suggesting that Western journalists haven't attempted to interview Putin—an assertion the former Fox News host made in a lengthy video announcing his interview with the Russian leader.

"He, in fact, cannot know this. We receive many requests for interviews with the president," Peskov said.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:47 am Tucker may catch the polonium.
If fucking only.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I like that Tucker thought he'd be able to bring Gershkovich home.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I love the look on Tucker’s face when Putin ridicules him for not being able to get into the CIA. Aaaawkward.
He won. Period.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I cannot imagine watching that interview.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Here, let me summarize it into a shorter clip
Carlson: Captain, my Captain, let me start by….

Putin (sitting atop a giant studded bear): Shut up! I will now speak. Poland caused WW2 and that’s why I don’t want you to bring kielbasa into my palace! Also, Zelensky is a stooge for the West!

Carlson: But if I may…

Puttin (now dressed as Conan the Barbarian for some reason): Quiet child! I am not done teaching! In 1942 my dad bought me the Ukraine. I have the bill of sale. But Nazis stole it from me. Is it not my right to attack them for this?

Carlson: yes, I….

Putin: Moron! That was rhetorical! Now, clean my World Cup trophy that I won BY MYSELF during the last games! And use more spit this time!
He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

There are lots of summary threads of the interview out there. The gist seems to be threefold:

1) It was not an interview but a lecture (the topic being a very long and very detailed historical justification for Russian claims on Ukraine, none of which made any sense to anyone not already deeply immersed in Russian historical justifications). The few times Tucker tried to interrupt with a new question, Putin ignored him until he finally admonished him to listen, not talk.

2) In addition to the history lecture, it was a gripe session based in Putin's own personal concerns, both domestic and international. But it was not tailored to Western concerns or even right-leaning Western politics at all. Putin seems to have dropped the ball here. He treated it like any other interview with a compliant Russian quasi-journalist rather than a valuable window for propaganda outreach.

3) Tucker was clearly there with the intention of creating a friendlier, more acceptable Putin for consumption by the American Right. He tried (though he was steamrollered) to give Putin a chance to say bad things about Biden and NATO and nice things about MAGA, but Putin was uninterested in anything Tucker had for him.

At one point Tucker even offered a softball about the presence of God in history, a question designed to make Putin more palatable to American Evangelicals. Putin (ostensibly a huge supporter of the Russian Orthodox Church, even though the latter is now just an arm of the state managed by the FSB) basically said he wasn't interested in such things.

So the whole thing was a huge whiff. It would be merely embarrassing if Tucker's intentions hadn't been so obviously pernicious.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Tucker Carlson hurting America. His interview is a lesson in failed “journalism” and political machinations. He’s utterly compromised.

It’s clear from the interview Putin isn’t going to change his mind on Ukraine. It’s a land grab that needs to be defeated to curb Russian ambitions.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Even the Kremlin is pushing back on Carlson's ridiculous lie that no one before him has thought to interview Putin after the war in Ukraine started.

Hint: If you're the only one to get an interview with a controversial figure when numerous other more famous journalists have failed, that's your first clue you may be a shill.
He won. Period.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:05 pm Even the Kremlin is pushing back on Carlson's ridiculous lie that no one before him has thought to interview Putin after the war in Ukraine started.

Hint: If you're the only one to get an interview with a controversial figure when numerous other more famous journalists have failed, that's your first clue you may be a shill.
Bam?

He's really out of his depth. Which I guess is why he's useful here.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Whoops, missed that post. :oops:
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Putin is a murderous thug but I'll admit to being happy with the way he made Carson his bitch. :lol:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Holman

Post by Holman »

$iljanus wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:28 pm Putin is a murderous thug but I'll admit to being happy with the way he made Carson his bitch. :lol:
Tucker has become the darling of sensationalist Russian media, who think of him as the one good American who "gets it."

Humiliating him reminds everyone of who's boss.
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

$iljanus wrote:Putin is a murderous thug but I'll admit to being happy with the way he made Carson his bitch. :lol:
Navalny dead. I would guess there’s a very high probability he died on Putin’s orders. Heaven knows Putin ordered him poisoned, imprisoned and tortured. Even with all that, when Navalny was away for treatment, he still chose to return to Russia knowing the pain and fate that likely awaited him. Unbelievable courage and resolve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MIDWAY upon the journey of our life, I found myself within a dark forest, For the straightforward pathway had been lost. - Dante Alighieri
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Well, that sucks.

And you know that Trump is taking notes.

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Tucker Carlson, when asked about Alexei Navalny, opposition leaders and journalists in Russia: “Every leader kills people. Some kill more than others. Leadership requires killing people.”
That's certainly a position.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

So he won't mind if Biden gets rid of him?
He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I don't have time to link, but I assume people have seen Tucker's recent videos where he praises Moscow's aesthetics/subways/grocery stores as superior in every way to the West?

It's extremely embarrassing, particularly after Navalny's murder this week. He's like the starry-eyed visitors to Lenin's and Stalin's Russia who were shown carefully staged settings and then declared that they had "seen the future, and it works."

The difference is that Tucker knows what he's doing. He's actively trying to undermine Western liberal democracy and make authoritarian Putinland look like a white Christian paradise.

One example:

(He fails to point out that Russians typically pay half of their income for food.)
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Yeah, a whole lot of "OMG this bread is 1/3 less than it would be in the US".
Not a whole lot of "OMG they only bring home 1/6 the income they would in the US".
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If this was the 50s Tucker would be shot by the GOP.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm sure he spends enough time in grocery stores in person to know.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

"I feel radicalized. I'm not making any of this up at all." I believe you.

Also stay there and quit broadcasting in the US. Take Bannon with you. You'll live like Oligarchs for as long as it's convenient.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:50 pm I'm sure he spends enough time in grocery stores in person to know.
At one point he praises a Russian grocery-cart release system that requires you to insert a ruble coin (which you get back upon returning the cart) and laughs that this will prevent you (a filthy dishonest American) from taking the cart away "to your homeless encampment."

Apparently he is unaware that most American grocery stores use either a similar system or one where the wheels lock up when you leave the parking lot.

Yeah, he has staff buying his groceries.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Holman wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:35 pm Apparently he is unaware that most American grocery stores use either a similar system or one where the wheels lock up when you leave the parking lot.
Every once in a while I see a post that reminds me how long it's been since I've lived in modern America. I've never seen either with the exception of Aldi.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Holman wrote:At one point he praises a Russian grocery-cart release system that requires you to insert a ruble coin (which you get back upon returning the cart) and laughs that this will prevent you (a filthy dishonest American) from taking the cart away "to your homeless encampment."
Spending a quarter for a grocery cart is a pretty good deal, even for a homeless person. That system is in place to encourage people to return the carts to the store so they don't have to hire people to bring them in from the parking lot. He's such an idiot that he not only doesn't understand we already have that in America, he doesn't even understand the reason for it.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

YellowKing wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:09 pm
Holman wrote:At one point he praises a Russian grocery-cart release system that requires you to insert a ruble coin (which you get back upon returning the cart) and laughs that this will prevent you (a filthy dishonest American) from taking the cart away "to your homeless encampment."
Spending a quarter for a grocery cart is a pretty good deal, even for a homeless person. That system is in place to encourage people to return the carts to the store so they don't have to hire people to bring them in from the parking lot. He's such an idiot that he not only doesn't understand we already have that in America, he doesn't even understand the reason for it.
Ding!
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Holman wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:35 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:50 pm I'm sure he spends enough time in grocery stores in person to know.
At one point he praises a Russian grocery-cart release system that requires you to insert a ruble coin (which you get back upon returning the cart) and laughs that this will prevent you (a filthy dishonest American) from taking the cart away "to your homeless encampment."
Haven't malls and airports had those for decades?
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:03 pm
Holman wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:35 pm Apparently he is unaware that most American grocery stores use either a similar system or one where the wheels lock up when you leave the parking lot.
Every once in a while I see a post that reminds me how long it's been since I've lived in modern America. I've never seen either with the exception of Aldi.
I'm not sure it's you, Blackhawk. I've never encountered that either, not on the East or the West coast.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Kurth wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:23 am
Blackhawk wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:03 pm
I'm not sure it's you, Blackhawk. I've never encountered that either, not on the East or the West coast.
I've only ever seen one, and it was abandoned within a year. Buggies would lock up at the edge of the parking lot and wouldn't roll until they were manually unlocked.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Actually, I take that back. One place around here did experiment with the locking carts. They kept locking up in the wrong places. I learned this when one locked up at the door on the way out to the car, causing me to slam into the back of it, almost taking a header. When they came to ask what happened, I let them know exactly how happy I was at getting punched in the midriff by a shopping cart.

I'll admit that if I had taken a header and ended upside down in the cart, it would have been worth a laugh. At least once I finished throttling the idiot in charge.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:52 am
I'll admit that if I had taken a header and ended upside down in the cart, it would have been worth a laugh.
Or a lawsuit. 'murica!

I'd guess that preventing cart theft costs more than writing off a few carts unless the Big Cart cartel is involved.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Alefroth wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:06 pm
Haven't malls and airports had those for decades?
I was thinking malls, amusement parks, and Aldi.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I’ve only seen it at Aldi, and I’ve been in some grocery stores (doing Instacart during the first days of COVID had all kinds of perks!)

And that quarter system is an import from Europe…they had that decades ago.

Further, you could still very easily steal the cart and whisk it away to your evil homeless lair…you just lose a quarter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Apparently he is unaware that most American grocery stores use either a similar system or one where the wheels lock up when you leave the parking lot.

Yeah, he has staff buying his groceries.
Agreed.

All the coin thing does us encourage people to return the carts instead of leaving them in the parking lot. It reduces/eliminates the need for a worker to go out and collect carts.

$0.25 (or a ruble) isn't going to stop someone from stealing a cart, which is why they also have the wheel locks, as you mentioned. It may reduce some theft when the carts aren't strewn all around the lot but the main purppse is to reduce worker costs. Yet even that simple concept is lost on Tucker. Or he knows this and assumes it'll be lost on his viewers.

Thinking a quarter, or the Russian equivalent, would stop someone who wanted a cart from taking one? Does he think this is 1930?

MYT
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:22 am I’ve only seen it at Aldi, and I’ve been in some grocery stores (doing Instacart during the first days of COVID had all kinds of perks!)

And that quarter system is an import from Europe…they had that decades ago.

Further, you could still very easily steal the cart and whisk it away to your evil homeless lair…you just lose a quarter.
It always seems funny to me how regional grocery shopping is. I do most of the grocery shopping for my family here in the Portland, OR, metro area, and it’s pretty much Safeway unless I’m hitting Costco or Trader Joe’s. Back in Boston, it was Star Market. When you shop at a store on a weekly (if not more frequent) basis, and the store is a chain that’s ubiquitous in your region, you start to think that everyone knows the stores you do.

I’ve never heard of an Aldi before . . .

/ruminations on grocery store familiarity
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳