Preferred media sources?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Kraken

Preferred media sources?

Post by Kraken »

At the moment, my news feed leads with reports about trump's latest boorish courtroom behavior -- the kind of minor story that we've grown numb to. Four sources are reporting the same topic: Associated Press, MSNBC, CNN, and CBS Evening News (video). Which one do you click?
Spoiler:
I chose the AP as the least-biased and most trustworthy of the four.
More generally, which media do you favor and why?
Blackhawk

Re: Preferred media sources?

Post by Blackhawk »

BBC, for an outside perspective. AP and Reuters for "Just the facts, ma'am." NPR for commentary and other topics.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:15 am Associated Press, MSNBC, CNN, and CBS Evening News (video). Which one do you click?
Of those, I choose AP as it tends to be the source for others.

I still tend to listen to CNBC as my first news source. It's become more biased both in news and editorializations for the conservative rich but I'm OK with the news part. The opining by the worst of them drives me to turning it off sometimes though. (Rick Santelli(?) and Joe Kernan, specifically, could go tomorrow and the station would be much better). My watching is a legacy of Nightly Business Reports on PBS, which was by far my favorite source for news of the day.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:29 am BBC, for an outside perspective. AP and Reuters for "Just the facts, ma'am." NPR for commentary and other topics.
This is me.
malchior

Post by malchior »

AP/Reuters for facts, Economist for business/economics analysis, Atlantic for general, and MSNBC for live news with a skeptical hat on. BBC is good as well. Also, lots of individual contributors since we're starting to see a lot more independent journalism now that the 4th estate has partially collapsed on itself.
Last edited by malchior on Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I depend on OO to tell me what I need to know. It's pretty reputable, I hear. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

MSNBC has become unbearable. Every single day their top featured stories are all about how bad Trump is. Not that I don't agree, but it has become too much. They have stopped trying to present balanced news. (At least online, I don't watch their cable channel).
FTE
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Blackhawk wrote:BBC, for an outside perspective. AP and Reuters for "Just the facts, ma'am." NPR for commentary and other topics.
Ditto, tho for TV news, BBC about the only one i watch, the rest have become trash.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

OK, tonight's story is Congress passing a CR. Your choices are NYT, CBS, Yahoo, and Christian Science Monitor. Where you going?
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

The propaganda free and trustworthy Al Jazeera. :)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I respect the accuracy of Al Jazeera's reporting and value their perspective, whether or not I agree with it. For tonight's quiz I went with the NYT.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kraken wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:59 pm OK, tonight's story is Congress passing a CR. Your choices are NYT, CBS, Yahoo, and Christian Science Monitor. Where you going?
Of those, CSM. It's one of the sources I follow on Google News.
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

I watch a variety of sources from the countries I've lived in but gradually I'm tuning in less no matter the source. For the western news it's all Trump now, no matter what channel, no matter what country, even for non-American countries it's all Trump. He's not just King of America, he's Emperor of the West.

For US news only really PBS remains neutral.

CNN and MSNBC are basically the anti-Fox News now and a shadow of what they used to be - they are equally nauseating. They live in Democrats can do no wrong world.

CNBC basically just wants the Republicans back from the pre-Trump days and pretends things are still that way and even if not the market will fix things anyway.

Fox, NewsMax etc less said the better.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Not a preferred source by any means, but I've noticed that Newsweek is no longer the cesspool that it was even a year or two ago. For one thing, they've implemented a "fairness meter" where one can rate each story's perceived slant. They seem to be reaching for neutrality.

They ain't there yet, though. In a story headlined "Hunter Biden will be 'Final Nail in Coffin' in Biden Impeachment: Democrat" the actual quote is
"I suspect that he will be the final nail in the coffin of what is a completely bogus impeachment investigation based on what he said publicly previously," Representative Dan Goldman, a New York Democrat, told CNN's Manu Raju on Thursday evening. "I'm eager for him to come in, set the record straight, and respond to the slanderous attacks that have been made against him by Republicans for years now."
Their story is fine. Their headline isn't.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

waitingtoconnect wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:24 am CNBC basically just wants the Republicans back from the pre-Trump days and pretends things are still that way and even if not the market will fix things anyway.
They are becoming in increasingly GOP showcasing network. Makes me sad. I don't mind the news from a business perspective. I actually like it. I hate that it's becoming increasingly GOP editor talking heads interviewing wealthy investors and GOP politicians selling GOP platforms rather simply providing business news. Again, Kernan could go tomorrow and if they don't replace him with the same guy, the network credibility would go up by 30% and that's without changing who they interview but rather who is the primary interviewer. I want my morning news but I'm pretty much ready to turn off CNBC at 06:00 and look for a better source. They were the last reason I was hesitant to cut the cord. I cut the cord over a year ago and now I won't even miss CNBC. I'll just be forced to find something else. OtOH, it does keep my from living in the OO liberal bubble.
malchior

Post by malchior »

What I can unequivocably say is that "legacy media" - think the 4 broadcast networks and their attached cable news networks, the big newspapers are all pretty much useless now if you want to stay reasonably informed. In so many words, the major networks are emphasizing the normative aspects of Trump's campaign and minimizing the dangerous, destructive aspects of Trump the actual candidate. And this goes beyond campaign coverage to nearly every area they touch. They're misinformation machines. That's why the AP and Reuters of the world are still so important. At least for now we still have access to factual material through them.

Last week Trump posted that unhinged rant saying he has total immunity and the traditional networks? They ignored it and instead focused on horse race coverage of the primaries.
Donald Trump on January 18 gave political reporters plenty to talk about: threats of “bedlam” if the Supreme Court doesn’t overrule state decisions and place his name on state ballots and a claim that “total immunity” gave him free rein to subvert the results of the 2020 election. All three major broadcast outlets’ evening news shows failed to cover these incendiary remarks.

In a legal brief filed to the U.S. Supreme Court on January 18, Trump attorneys implored justices to keep Trump’s name on state ballots for the 2024 presidential election, writing that disqualifying Trump “promise to unleash chaos and bedlam.” The court is scheduled to hear oral arguments regarding Colorado’s removal of Trump from its primary and general election ballots beginning February 8. Trump himself echoed the language in the brief while speaking to reporters: “It’ll be bedlam in the country. … It’s the opening of a Pandora’s box."

Earlier that day, in an all-caps post on Truth Social, Trump railed against the federal prosecutions related to his role in inciting the January 6 insurrection. “A PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES MUST HAVE FULL IMMUNITY,” Trump wrote. “EVEN EVENTS THAT ‘CROSS THE LINE’ MUST FALL UNDER TOTAL IMMUNITY, OR IT WILL BE YEARS OF TRAUMA TRYING TO DETERMINE GOOD FROM BAD.”

Instead of covering Trump’s unhinged social media rant or his threats of “bedlam,” evening network news broadcasts took a business-as-usual approach. Election segments framed the upcoming New Hampshire primary as a two-person horse race between Trump and former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley, with NBC Nightly News discussing “how the crisis at the border is impacting the race." NBC also chose to include a Truth Social post from Trump urging Republicans not to compromise on a border security deal but failed to mention his post arguing the law doesn’t apply to him as president. This editorial decision is particularly baffling since NBC News was the only broadcast outlet that covered Trump’s “total immunity” claim on its website.