What are your top 10 fantasy novels?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Carpet_pissr

Re: What are your top 10 fantasy novels?

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:13 am
Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:57 am Was not aware of Fairy Tale by King. Will have to check that out.
I also just read this last summer. It's the most Dark Tower book that never actually confirms it's in the Dark Tower series book I've ever read. Yes, he makes a few references indicating the book is in the Dark Tower universe (like many other King books), but it's not part of the core story in the way that you can't help but feel it must be.

Regardless, it was a really good read; I enjoyed it tremendously.
I'm almost halfway through this, and will finish, but this is my least favorite King book so far. The writing style is so different, in a not great way. Is it because he's supposed to be writing it in the voice of a late teenager? I know that's the premise of the book in the first sentence, but gah...if I wanted to read poor JA novels, I would not have picked this up. :D I give him a lot of leeway though, due to my love of so many of his other works, so maybe things will change up as they progress.

To date though, the writing is Andy Weir levels of bad and mundane:
I walked up the hill. I looked around, and saw no one. I kept walking up the hill, still seeing no one. I opened the gate. I stepped through the gate. I noticed the gate was metal. I closed the gate. I kept going up to the porch.

WTF man. Hopefully this is all intentional to be in the main character's voice and that style changes soon. But I (unfortunately, because I got spoiled) couldn't help going to Amazon to read some of the reviews to see if it was just me. There were quite a few comments about how the voice is supposed to be this 17 year old kid, and he talks NOTHING like a 17 year old...but like a 75 year old trying to sound like a 17 year old. Just...don't. :D "Yeah, the dust witch is mondo-creepy, all right". "I thought it was mondo stupid". Those were just two that stood out...loads of others that are anachronistic at best.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I wasn't a fan of Fairy Tale either. I was hoping for Eyes of the Dragon 2, and instead I got Diet Talisman.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I enjoyed Fairy Tale, but the first half was far better than the second half.

IMHO, he really should have kept Radar (the dog) involved - it was when Radar dropped out of the story that the book got worse.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm not a big fan of fantasy, but I did enjoy the Xanth novels when I was a kid (it wasn't until later in life that I realized how "problematic" they were) and the Thomas Covenant franchise.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Thomas Covenant wasn't problematic?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well, that first novel definitely was. I had forgotten about THAT part. It's been 40 years or so since I read them, for cryin' out loud.

The pedophilia in the Xanth books didn't stand out to me as a kid. It wasn't until someone here on OO pointed it out years later that I realized just how bad it was.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:56 pm Well, that first novel definitely was. I had forgotten about THAT part. It's been 40 years or so since I read them, for cryin' out loud.
I never got past that part.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yes, I'm an awful human being, I guess.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yup, that was totally where I was going with that.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You misunderstand. I AM an awful human being.

If you grew up during the heyday of fantasy movies in the 70s and 80s, violence against women was so commonplace in all forms of media for that genre that it barely raised an eyebrow. Things have definitely changed for the better in the ensuing years. Although I still think the genre has a problem....see Game of Thrones for evidence.
He won. Period.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I have, and have read, a significant number of the Gor series. I have only vague recollections. 12yr old me enjoyed them. I suspect they would turn my stomach now. Everyone has things in their closet... :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

hepcat wrote:The pedophilia in the Xanth books didn't stand out to me as a kid. It wasn't until someone here on OO pointed it out years later that I realized just how bad it was.
Yikes. I never knew that. I only read the first 2 or 3 though. They were too silly even for my terrible sense of humor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, it wrecked my childhood memories of reading the Xanth novels. I would anxiously await each new installment. I believe I made it up to the teens in the series.

Then a few years ago, I started reading some posts here and there that called out numerous passages in the books and it suddenly dawned on me: the guy’s a massive pervert. And he likes ‘em young. Sometimes you’re just too young to make the connection when you’re reading something like that.
He won. Period.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:18 pm You misunderstand. I AM an awful human being.

If you grew up during the heyday of fantasy movies in the 70s and 80s, violence against women was so commonplace in all forms of media for that genre that it barely raised an eyebrow. Things have definitely changed for the better in the ensuing years. Although I still think the genre has a problem....see Game of Thrones for evidence.
Even now it's a problem. I love the Green Rider series with a strong female protagonist, and would love to send them as gift's to a buddy's kid girls who LOVE reading, but the (female) author puts her lead into so many captured/tortured/etc. situations and post-traumatic stress passages that I can't justify it.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:48 pm Thomas Covenant wasn't problematic?
In my view, yeah, it's problematic, but it also ends up extremely important to the character's development, and the after effects have far-ranging impacts throughout the series. Donaldson went even further with The Gap Cycle, which I finished, but will never go back to, yet I've re-read the Thomas Covenant books a number of times.

Jolor

Post by Jolor »

This is How You Lose the Time War (Amal El-Mohtar and Max Gladstone) is more sci-fi, imo, otherwise it would be on my list.

Here is my list of 11 (I know, I know):

Non-LotR list of favourite fantasy novels, or series if the whole series stood up:

Under Heaven - Guy Gavriel Kay
The Lies of Locke Lamora - Scott Lynch
The Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss
The Adventures of Amina Al-Sirafi - Shannon Chakraborty
Babel - R.F. Kuang
Jade City - Fonda Lee (first of The Green Bone trilogy)
Joe Abercrombie (really anything ... A Little Hate/The Trouble with Peace/The Wisdom of Crowds is my favourite cycle)
The Sarantine Mosaic (Sailing to Sarantium & Lord of Emperors) - Guy Gavriel Kay
The Ten Thousand Doors of January - Alix E. Harrow
Frankenstein in Baghdad - Ahmed Sadawi
Vicious/Vengeful (Villains #1 & 2) - V.E. Scwab
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:46 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:48 pm Thomas Covenant wasn't problematic?
In my view, yeah, it's problematic, but it also ends up extremely important to the character's development, and the after effects have far-ranging impacts throughout the series. Donaldson went even further with The Gap Cycle, which I finished, but will never go back to, yet I've re-read the Thomas Covenant books a number of times.
What impressed me was the how the different suns interacted and you never knew what you were going to get. Still think about that from time to time.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:58 pm
hepcat wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:56 pm Well, that first novel definitely was. I had forgotten about THAT part. It's been 40 years or so since I read them, for cryin' out loud.
I never got past that part.
I don't remember what 'that part' was, but my one attempt at reading them (which lasted through the first book - although I'm not 100% sure I finished it) was 32 years ago, so it's not exactly fresh in my mind. Whatever it was, it would have been awful standing in the middle of a field of awful, so I'm not sure I would actually have read it.

And yeah, there's a lot of sex in most of Piers Anthony's series, and a lot of it is a little... off. Baldur's Gate wasn't the first story to feature shape-shifter sex! Other than his Xanth novels, I read the Apprentice Adept series and Incarnations of Immortality. I remember quite liking both, but I haven't touched any of them since high school. From the discussion I've seen here and elsewhere, I'd likely see some different implications as an adult. Still, Anthony and Donaldson can't hold a candle to David Eddings.

If you're a fan of Eddings, or if you have fond memories of his books you want to preserve, skip the spoiler.
Spoiler:
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Zarathud wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:12 pm My next series is catching up with Vlad Taltos. He’s just fun and easy to read. It’s a shame the older books are in copyright hell.
As a huge fan of Vlad and Dragaera since the 80s, I've been poking around since you mentioned this, and I can't find anything. Can you give me a hint?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:59 pm If you're a fan of Eddings, or if you have fond memories of his books you want to preserve, skip the spoiler.
Spoiler:
Oof.
Spoiler:
They adopted one boy in 1966, Scott David, then two months old. They adopted a younger girl between 1966 and 1969. In 1970 the couple lost custody of both children and were each sentenced to a year in jail in separate trials after pleading guilty to 11 counts of physical child abuse. Though the nature of the abuse, the trial, and the sentencing were all extensively reported in South Dakota newspapers at the time, these details did not resurface in media coverage of the couple during their successful joint career as authors, only returning to public attention several years after both had died.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

The advent of fantasy games really put a dent in the pool of people available to play SPI and Avalon Hill wargames back in the day.
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

This is a deep dive, and not entirely fantasy, but back in the 90s I got hooked on a series called The Necroscope.

It was the tale of a guy who could speak and animate the dead. He started working with a British special service group much like the BPRD from Hellboy. Eventually they added vampires to his enemies and it was revealed they came from another dimension or something that was pretty much your standard fantasy setting, with vampires as the lords of the realm.

The writer was Brian Lumley and he also wrote a short horror story years ago that involved Jesus as the first vampire that was actually fun…if not a bit blasphemous.
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

hepcat wrote:This is a deep dive, and not entirely fantasy, but back in the 90s I got hooked on a series called The Necroscope.
I'm reading those now! I had read the first book many years ago and remembered enjoying it, but recently re-read it and liked it enough to pick up Book 2, which was even better. Now I'm in for the full ride.

Lumley also did a series of Lovecraftian books featuring a character named Titus Crow. I read a few of those and really enjoyed them.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think I made it up to book 5 or 6 before moving on. I haven’t checked out the Titus Crow series, but I have read a few of his short stories, including his Lovecraft universe tales. I just found out he’s still alive and well. Always nice to discover someone who’s work you’ve enjoyed is still with us.
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:15 pm I enjoyed Fairy Tale, but the first half was far better than the second half.
Oh no.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Blackhawk wrote:
Zarathud wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:12 pm My next series is catching up with Vlad Taltos. He’s just fun and easy to read. It’s a shame the older books are in copyright hell.
As a huge fan of Vlad and Dragaera since the 80s, I've been poking around since you mentioned this, and I can't find anything. Can you give me a hint?
My wife follows author social media and told me Brust has had medical (heart attack) issues that affected the series/copyrights. He was first published on Ace, and those first 7 books are expected never to go digital. The next 6 from Tor I think aren’t online due to those financial issues. The last few are digital and paperback.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Re: 10 top fantasy novels list?

Post by hepcat »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:49 am
Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:40 pm
Piranesi - Clarke
Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell - Clarke (saw this a TON, and have never heard of it!
Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norell is good, but it's long and dense. Not something to pick up casually, but worth a go if you're craving something meaty. I wrote about it here

Loved, loved, LOVED the BBC series. :wub:
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Zarathud wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:01 am
Blackhawk wrote:
My wife follows author social media and told me Brust has had medical (heart attack) issues that affected the series/copyrights. He was first published on Ace, and those first 7 books are expected never to go digital. The next 6 from Tor I think aren’t online due to those financial issues. The last few are digital and paperback.
Ah, gotcha, thanks.

I first read them in the library. I purchased them once and had them all destroyed by water, then purchased them a second time, and they are on the shelf to this day (they're one of the very few fiction series that I kept in dead tree format.) As such, I don't feel to terribly awful about the digital copies I have.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:47 pm I'm not a big fan of fantasy, but I did enjoy the Xanth novels when I was a kid (it wasn't until later in life that I realized how "problematic" they were) and the Thomas Covenant franchise.
I liked the early books (first 3-4 I suppose), but then they just got too punny to the point of distraction. His (Piers Anthony) Juxtaposition series was much better.

Michael Moorcock's serieses and Saberhagen's Book of Swords were entertaining back in the day. I also loved the idea behind, and largely the execution of, the Thieves' World books (edited by Robert Lynn Asprin but featuring a bunch of authors). That series also spawned stand alone novels and series featuring a particular author's character(s).
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Jeff V wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:21 am His (Piers Anthony) Juxtaposition series was much better.
That would be the Apprentice Adept series.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I'm too lazy to compile a top 10 list, but if I did it would definitely include something by Barbara Hambly. I enjoy all of her fantasy novels.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Max Peck wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:56 pm I'm too lazy to compile a top 10 list, but if I did it would definitely include something by Barbara Hambly. I enjoy all of her fantasy novels.
Oh. I'd forgotten about her. I did enjoy her stories. Though I feel like I had one series left that I'd never finished. Don't you hate that? I want my stories wrapped up! :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Scuzz

Re: 10 top fantasy novels list?

Post by Scuzz »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:40 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:59 pm Do you want actual series, or individual novels?

And does the Hobbit stand on its own, or is it part of LoTR?
Let's say stand on its own in that case. PERSONALLY if I were to put LOTR on my list (and I will), I would just list it as LOTR trilogy as one item, but again, however you want to do it.

I'm still thinking of mine FWIW. Pending...

Here are some titles that I came across that I had not heard of, or don't own (unread), so maybe some can chime in. These were also listed several times on multiple people's lists:
Piranesi - Clarke
Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell - Clarke (saw this a TON, and have never heard of it!)
The Goblin Emperor - Addison
A few by author Guy Gavriel Kay
The Library at Mount Char - Hawkins
This is How You Lose The Time War - El-Mogtar and Gladstone
I have seen several booktubers discuss the above books. Piranesi and How you lose the Time War are books either loved or considered disappointing. The one on that list that reviews have made me interested in is Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. It is apparently a large book but very original.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I don't read as much fantasy as sci-fi but here are books I would list. Also some honorable mentions.

In no particular order:

LOTR and the Hobbit
Anything by Joe Abercrombie, but especially the First Law Series and it's standalones.
The Farseer Series by Robin Hobb
The Guards Guards story lines by Terry Pratchet
The Black Company by Glwn Cook
The Malazan Series by Steven Erikson

As you can see most of these are multi-book series, with Malazan having 10 books and Hobb being 16 I think, although I have only read 9.

As for the honorable mentions, they are here because the series aren't finished and may never be.

A Song of Fire and Ice Series by GRRM
The Kingkiller Series by Rothfuss.
The Lies of Locke LaMora by Scott Lynch

Of these I would recommend The Lies of Locke Lamora as it could easily be a standalone.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Wait, you don’t like Andy Weir?

All respect gone. :)
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Scuzz wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:49 pm The Black Company by Glwn Cook
When did he become Welsh?

I've had these on my 'to read' list for years now. I really need to get to them.

I've seen this recommended a number of times. I should probably look into it.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:38 pm

I've had these on my 'to read' list for years now. I really need to get to them.

I always wondered in school when "W" could be used as a vowel.

I think I read the first two Locke LaMora and that was enough.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:32 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:38 pm

I always wondered in school when "W" could be used as a vowel.
Just ask Gloon Cook up there.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:38 pm I've had these on my 'to read' list for years now. I really need to get to them.
The Black Company series is great. It feels a bit like The First Law trilogy might have been inspired by it - broadly.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Scuzz wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:33 pm Wait, you don’t like Andy Weir?

All respect gone. :)
Yeah, sorry. Just hate that writing style, which feels written by an engineer as opposed to a writer.

It’s not even prose, just excessive detailed descriptions and very little creativity, making that book (have not read any of his others) super boring IMO.

I know it was widely praised, and fully accept it’s “me”, and I’m OK with that. :D

It reminded me very much of a neighbor I used to have that would come back from a trip, or describe an event at work, and he would literally spend 5m describing, say, his hotel room, what was where, what wall was north facing, where the bed was, and it’s relative size to the room, what you saw when you walked in…all completely irrelevant to whatever ‘story’ he was eventually going to tell me. Used to drive me insane. :D

“So you walk into the room, you’ve got your main living area in front of you, then if you turn left there’s a kitchenette there, with a Kenmore Elite refrigerator, glass top stove, then you keep going and you see …”